Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 157

Thread: Craft Beer Tent

  1. #61
    Member gazercmh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    2,132

    Default Re: Craft Beer Tent

    Yeah, sours can be great. What I don't get is the appeal of drinking a stout in the desert heat.

  2. #62

    Default Re: Craft Beer Tent

    Sometimes you just need something malty

  3. #63
    old school Phantasma Del Mar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Normal Heights, CA
    Posts
    3,324

    Default Re: Craft Beer Tent

    Stouts are just as bad as sours.

  4. #64

    Default Re: Craft Beer Tent

    Don't worry, bro there will be plenty of ipas for you

  5. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    1,222

    Default Re: Craft Beer Tent

    Does anyone else love all types of craft beer but have a hard time drinking much of it at Coachella? I bring some good cans into camping but during the day inside the fest, I'll almost always opt for Dos Equis (and watching bands) over spending too much time finding the right kind of daytime beer (and not watching bands) in the craft barn. I just wish they would add a few craft options in the main beer gardens, but they'll never say no to Heineken's money. Even then, it's hard to beat a Mexican lager on a warm desert afternoon... mm mm.

  6. #66
    Member mynameisurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    98

    Default Re: Craft Beer Tent

    It's simple, they should have Golden Road beers ( kinda meh craft beer that was bought by Anheiser Busch) like they did at FYF.
    Some good camping beers last year were the Ballast point Grapefruit Sculpin and the Mango Session IPA. Def was a good way to start the day and for the must see acts on Outdoor or Main stage we just posted up drinking some Dos Equis. IMO Golden Road Nut Brown Ale would be a decent upgrade.

    The Beer Barn always has awesome brews, and i dished out some $$ for the expensive Sour beer section they had and immediately regretted my choice. I think Sunday was the day i spend the most time in the Beer Barn bc my legs were exhausted by then. Really wish it was closer to one of the stages as well.

  7. #67
    old school mikey1313's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    SF <-> LA
    Posts
    3,741

    Default Re: Craft Beer Tent

    The real question is, when will we get to talk around with our beers? Still not totally sure why Stagecoach gets to do that but Coachella doesn't.
    My old account "Mikey1313666" is down for whatever reason.

  8. #68
    old school TickleMeElmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    5,256

    Default Re: Craft Beer Tent

    Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313 View Post
    The real question is, when will we get to talk around with our beers? Still not totally sure why Stagecoach gets to do that but Coachella doesn't.
    The city decides this, not GV right? If that's true then I think it's just the impression the city gets from Coachella, that it's full of underage EDM tweekers and they don't want another substance roaming the fields while country totally gets a pass for some reason even though they consume way more alcohol.

    Also because they can get away with it from Coachella fans. Stagecoach fans would throw a shitfit and probably cause problems if they weren't allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Uhh, Gil Scott-Heron is kinda dead, dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous96 View Post
    Whoops lol, that's what happens with my piss poor knowledge of rap

  9. #69
    old school mikey1313's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    SF <-> LA
    Posts
    3,741

    Default Re: Craft Beer Tent

    Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    The city decides this, not GV right? If that's true then I think it's just the impression the city gets from Coachella, that it's full of underage EDM tweekers and they don't want another substance roaming the fields while country totally gets a pass for some reason even though they consume way more alcohol.

    Also because they can get away with it from Coachella fans. Stagecoach fans would throw a shitfit and probably cause problems if they weren't allowed.
    I have literally no idea who decides this shit and for what reason. All I know is it's dumb.
    My old account "Mikey1313666" is down for whatever reason.

  10. #70
    Member gazercmh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    2,132

    Default Re: Craft Beer Tent

    I think it's Coachella who decides this and that there's a much larger risk of underage people getting people to buy them beer at Coachella than at Stagecoach (or Desert Trip). If the ABC catches underage people drinking at your event, you can lose your liquor license and all the revenue it brings.

    Meanwhile, Ballast Point and Golden Road are not craft beer. I no longer drink them because supporting them means supporting companies that squeeze real craft beer off of shelves.

  11. #71
    old school mikey1313's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    SF <-> LA
    Posts
    3,741

    Default Re: Craft Beer Tent

    Quote Originally Posted by gazercmh View Post
    I think it's Coachella who decides this and that there's a much larger risk of underage people getting people to buy them beer at Coachella than at Stagecoach (or Desert Trip). If the ABC catches underage people drinking at your event, you can lose your liquor license and all the revenue it brings.
    What makes you figure this?
    My old account "Mikey1313666" is down for whatever reason.

  12. #72
    Member gazercmh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    2,132

    Default Re: Craft Beer Tent

    Just a guess based on demographics. You disagree?

    Edit: From a 2016 Desert Sun article:
    Whoa, whoa, whoa I can't walk around with a beer?

    Yeah, the fest made that decision right from the start, and I think in retrospect it was a good one, though I can't pretend at my first Coachella I wasn't fuming at the notion. Beer drinking is confined to the beer gardens, and now the new craft beer fun zone. You can see the two main stages from beer gardens, but it's still a slight bummer that you can't drink a cold one wherever you want on the grounds. But the truth is, this isn't really a beer-drinking crowd. And when you're in a compressed area watching a band, it would be hard to drink a beer anyway, and this helps keep the grounds clean. Plus it cuts down on annoying drunks, which is always good. The end result is it's a small price to pay. The benefits outweigh the annoyance.
    Last edited by gazercmh; 01-22-2017 at 06:59 PM.

  13. #73
    Member Wu-financial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Shaolin
    Posts
    390

    Default Re: Craft Beer Tent

    The designated drinking areas are one of my favorite things about Coachella. Every other fest I go too is trashed with beer cups, people spilling it all over, and hammered people everywhere. I love the craft selection they have here but couldn't imagine people being able to walk around with some high ABV beers all fucking day. Oberon is my shit in the desert though. They usually have some good Michigan crafts for me.

  14. #74

    Default Re: Craft Beer Tent

    I was initially quite sceptical when I found out that beer drinking was restricted to the bar areas, after a decade of going to festivals and carrying my beer wherever I went. I didn't find it too bad when I actually got there though. The view and sound from the bar areas was fairly decent. And if you can get a good spot you can get a decent view of Sahara from the bar or VIP area 2.

    Given the choice I would still prefer not to have the restrictions, but it wasn't as bad as I first expected.

  15. #75
    old school mikey1313's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    SF <-> LA
    Posts
    3,741

    Default Re: Craft Beer Tent

    Quote Originally Posted by Wu-financial View Post
    The designated drinking areas are one of my favorite things about Coachella. Every other fest I go too is trashed with beer cups, people spilling it all over, and hammered people everywhere. I love the craft selection they have here but couldn't imagine people being able to walk around with some high ABV beers all fucking day. Oberon is my shit in the desert though. They usually have some good Michigan crafts for me.
    I get your littering qualms, but saying that people aren't going to be walking around drunk because they have to drink their beer in a certain area isn't super valid. It just makes someone chug all their beers super fast before leaving the designated area.
    My old account "Mikey1313666" is down for whatever reason.

  16. #76
    Member Karnifexlol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    wat
    Posts
    485

    Default Re: Craft Beer Tent

    Quote Originally Posted by gazercmh View Post
    Meanwhile, Ballast Point and Golden Road are not craft beer. I no longer drink them because supporting them means supporting companies that squeeze real craft beer off of shelves.
    Meh. If anything, Ballast Point has put out better stuff since they sold out. Golden Road has never been that great, imo. And I honestly think the true up-and-coming craft guys suffer more from an ever-saturating market of endless choices than from AmBev and the like. As long as the big guys allow for the same quality and more distro, I don't think it's gunna hurt any craft breweries more than the next small brewery down the street. People will still hunt for small-batch. Craft and small business culture is very resurgent. But that's just my opinion.

  17. #77
    Member Wu-financial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Shaolin
    Posts
    390

    Default Re: Craft Beer Tent

    Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313 View Post
    I get your littering qualms, but saying that people aren't going to be walking around drunk because they have to drink their beer in a certain area isn't super valid. It just makes someone chug all their beers super fast before leaving the designated area.
    Yea, I guess so. I suppose not seeing as many drunk people at Coachella than at other fests could be due to the fact it's hot as fuck. But seeing GZA and Pusha T in the heineken tent was tarnished slightly by drunk people spilling beer everywhere. The woman grinding on a dude and then falling over to the sweet sounds of "I Gotcha Back" was classic though.

  18. #78
    old school travelfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,974

    Default Re: Craft Beer Tent

    Quote Originally Posted by gazercmh View Post
    Meanwhile, Ballast Point and Golden Road are not craft beer. I no longer drink them because supporting them means supporting companies that squeeze real craft beer off of shelves.
    Everybody is different and in San Diego you have no shortage of great craft brewers so it's not like you're lacking on options, but Jack White and Ballast Point are a craft brewing success story and proof that if you make a great beer and a great experience (their tap rooms are a blast), people will trade their crappy domestics for something great. They continue to innovate and put out great products and half the backlash (not yours) seems to be just because bros drink Grapefruit Sculpin now too. I have no ethical qualms about supporting them and lining their pockets even though White and others have left the picture financially by now, alongside supporting local up-and-comers. If anything, it will continue to inspire others to dream big and to continue to shift the mainstream beer market to a more quality product.

    I've tried a trillion IPAs and while there are certainly others at this level, Sculpin has consistently been one of my absolute favorites for at least five years now.

  19. #79
    Member gazercmh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    2,132

    Default Re: Craft Beer Tent

    Quote Originally Posted by Karnifexlol View Post
    Meh. If anything, Ballast Point has put out better stuff since they sold out. Golden Road has never been that great, imo. And I honestly think the true up-and-coming craft guys suffer more from an ever-saturating market of endless choices than from AmBev and the like. As long as the big guys allow for the same quality and more distro, I don't think it's gunna hurt any craft breweries more than the next small brewery down the street. People will still hunt for small-batch. Craft and small business culture is very resurgent. But that's just my opinion.
    You say that people will still hunt for small-batch. My point is that if not for companies like Constellation and InBev, people wouldn't have to hunt for it. Those companies are notorious for squeezing out smaller competitors when it comes to shelf space and tap handles. As just one example, my local Von's grocery store used to carry Pizza Port, AleSmith, Modern Times and other independently owned craft brewery selections. As the big corporations buy craft breweries and employ their distribution tactics, things change. Now that same Vons mostly carries faux craft like Ballast Point, Golden Road, Goose Island and 10 Barrel, or semi-faux craft like Firestone Walker and Lagunitas. Yes, I can still find Pizza Port, AleSmith, Modern Times, etc., but I have to make a special stop for it at a good bottle shop or at the breweries themselves. This is not because Vons shoppers don't support craft beer. It's because the corporate distributor won't let them.


    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    Everybody is different and in San Diego you have no shortage of great craft brewers so it's not like you're lacking on options, but Jack White and Ballast Point are a craft brewing success story and proof that if you make a great beer and a great experience (their tap rooms are a blast), people will trade their crappy domestics for something great. They continue to innovate and put out great products and half the backlash (not yours) seems to be just because bros drink Grapefruit Sculpin now too. I have no ethical qualms about supporting them and lining their pockets even though White and others have left the picture financially by now, alongside supporting local up-and-comers. If anything, it will continue to inspire others to dream big and to continue to shift the mainstream beer market to a more quality product.

    I've tried a trillion IPAs and while there are certainly others at this level, Sculpin has consistently been one of my absolute favorites for at least five years now.
    I'm not trying to be snarky here but what you're saying just doesn't add up for me. First, I don't think that adding different fruits or peppers to your existing beers counts as innovation. And I don't understand why supporting them under their new ownership isn't different than supporting them when Jack White still owned it. I don't begrudge Jack White for selling out for $1 billion, which is probably more than any other brewery will get. But notice how when the sale was announced there was the usual "things aren't going to change" statements from him and other Ballast Point leaders, and then 12 months later all of them were gone. It's not the same company anymore. It's like saying you support our current President because past Presidents did great things.

  20. #80
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Emeryville
    Posts
    30,456

    Default Re: Craft Beer Tent

    i don't know that I've tried three trillion IPAs in my lifetime but there are easily 300 that aren't to hard to come by in California that are much much better than Sculpin.

    I'd drink Sculpin/Golden Roads in the main non-craft beer tents over Heine all day, though.

    5/16: Mount Kimbie @ Neumo's
    5/21: Fever Ray @ The Showbox
    5/25-27: Sasquatch
    6/9: Huichica Music Festival
    6/5: Sleep @ The Showbox
    6/6: King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard @ the Showbox
    6/23: Snail Mail, Bonny Doon @ The Crocodile
    7/12: My Bloody Valentine @ Paramount
    7/21: Bombino @ The Crocodile
    9/6: The War on Drugs, Land of Talk @ The Paramount

  21. #81
    old school mikey1313's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    SF <-> LA
    Posts
    3,741

    Default Re: Craft Beer Tent

    Quote Originally Posted by Wu-financial View Post
    Yea, I guess so. I suppose not seeing as many drunk people at Coachella than at other fests could be due to the fact it's hot as fuck. But seeing GZA and Pusha T in the heineken tent was tarnished slightly by drunk people spilling beer everywhere. The woman grinding on a dude and then falling over to the sweet sounds of "I Gotcha Back" was classic though.
    I think I'd chalk that experience up to the Heineken House being an awful awful place. I've never even tried going in there past 5:00.
    Last edited by mikey1313; 01-23-2017 at 04:25 PM.
    My old account "Mikey1313666" is down for whatever reason.

  22. #82
    old school Phantasma Del Mar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Normal Heights, CA
    Posts
    3,324

    Default Re: Craft Beer Tent

    But Heine is so drinkable though.

    Quote Originally Posted by gazercmh View Post
    But notice how when the sale was announced there was the usual "things aren't going to change" statements from him and other Ballast Point leaders, and then 12 months later all of them were gone.
    I hadn't heard anything about that, damn. That's nutty.

  23. #83
    old school travelfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,974

    Default Re: Craft Beer Tent

    Quote Originally Posted by gazercmh View Post
    You say that people will still hunt for small-batch. My point is that if not for companies like Constellation and InBev, people wouldn't have to hunt for it. Those companies are notorious for squeezing out smaller competitors when it comes to shelf space and tap handles. As just one example, my local Von's grocery store used to carry Pizza Port, AleSmith, Modern Times and other independently owned craft brewery selections. As the big corporations buy craft breweries and employ their distribution tactics, things change. Now that same Vons mostly carries faux craft like Ballast Point, Golden Road, Goose Island and 10 Barrel, or semi-faux craft like Firestone Walker and Lagunitas. Yes, I can still find Pizza Port, AleSmith, Modern Times, etc., but I have to make a special stop for it at a good bottle shop or at the breweries themselves. This is not because Vons shoppers don't support craft beer. It's because the corporate distributor won't let them.

    I'm not trying to be snarky here but what you're saying just doesn't add up for me. First, I don't think that adding different fruits or peppers to your existing beers counts as innovation. And I don't understand why supporting them under their new ownership isn't different than supporting them when Jack White still owned it. I don't begrudge Jack White for selling out for $1 billion, which is probably more than any other brewery will get. But notice how when the sale was announced there was the usual "things aren't going to change" statements from him and other Ballast Point leaders, and then 12 months later all of them were gone. It's not the same company anymore. It's like saying you support our current President because past Presidents did great things.
    I get your own personal ethics on the matter. I'm saying I don't care as much. I drink faux-craft and true craft, depending on what I like. The one thing I'll give you is that I live in an area of San Francisco where I can easily walk to several bars and stores that specialize in true craft, so I see how that's different than, say, in a suburban area where there's limited space available for anything other than the big domestics.

    That being said, what I'm suggesting with Ballast Point is that this is a beer that started out as a small local company that eventually became something much more corporate. If they can be successful and continue to do so, then that continues to create markets for other small scale brewing companies to be bought out, become successful, and expand. If the only reason they make beer is for the love of it and don't want bigger exposure, then great, my money isn't that important to them anyway and so who cares what I drink.

    What I don't understand is that I bet if I went back to the craft beer threads on this very forum say, five years ago, everybody would be fawning over Ballast Point and now their beers are suddenly passe and supporting them is bad. That's certainly been the case with the staff and curators of the local SF craft beer bars. That's all they could talk about, and now it's like ordering a Bud Light. If one's personal ethics are geared toward supporting underdogs in any industry and that's more important to them than taste, I get it. If the novelty of a beer you used to like dulls out because you have it everywhere and it's no longer special, I get that too. But half the time (not you necessarily) that's not the case and people just don't like being associated with anything that the average person can enjoy, and at that point the beer has become more about them and their ego and their understanding of themselves as a "true" connoisseur rather than just a beer they happen to like.

    They're a company that got bigger and bigger because they had a quality product. It's still the same beer everybody was freaking out about five years ago and nothing's changed taste wise.

    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    i don't know that I've tried three trillion IPAs in my lifetime but there are easily 300 that aren't to hard to come by in California that are much much better than Sculpin.
    OK just changed my taste buds because you said so.
    Last edited by travelfan; 01-23-2017 at 05:48 PM.

  24. #84
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Emeryville
    Posts
    30,456

    Default Re: Craft Beer Tent

    Major Lazer brought to you by Sculpin

    5/16: Mount Kimbie @ Neumo's
    5/21: Fever Ray @ The Showbox
    5/25-27: Sasquatch
    6/9: Huichica Music Festival
    6/5: Sleep @ The Showbox
    6/6: King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard @ the Showbox
    6/23: Snail Mail, Bonny Doon @ The Crocodile
    7/12: My Bloody Valentine @ Paramount
    7/21: Bombino @ The Crocodile
    9/6: The War on Drugs, Land of Talk @ The Paramount

  25. #85

    Default Re: Craft Beer Tent

    And I thought travelfan was long winded in the set times threads

  26. #86

    Default Re: Craft Beer Tent

    Gazer isn't lamenting their success or the fact that they aren't part of a craft beer esoterica. He explicitly wrote that he doesn't want to support the parent company that bought them out bc of their aggressive practices towards smaller breweries.

  27. #87
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Emeryville
    Posts
    30,456

    Default Re: Craft Beer Tent

    And that he doesn't consider them to be craft beer, his personal definition of craft beer is narrower in scope.
    Day for Night's Craft Beer tent was Abita and Dos Equis and nothing else.

    5/16: Mount Kimbie @ Neumo's
    5/21: Fever Ray @ The Showbox
    5/25-27: Sasquatch
    6/9: Huichica Music Festival
    6/5: Sleep @ The Showbox
    6/6: King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard @ the Showbox
    6/23: Snail Mail, Bonny Doon @ The Crocodile
    7/12: My Bloody Valentine @ Paramount
    7/21: Bombino @ The Crocodile
    9/6: The War on Drugs, Land of Talk @ The Paramount

  28. #88

    Default Re: Craft Beer Tent

    Levitation had only Dos Equis the year I went. Primavera has only Heineken. I remember being impressed by Bonnaroo's beer tent at the time, but looking back it pales in comparison to the beer barn. Lolla had Bud and all the breweries they own, so if you like Goose Island and Ballast Point that may be the fest for you!

  29. #89
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Emeryville
    Posts
    30,456

    Default Re: Craft Beer Tent

    All I remember about the 'Roo tent was really loving Magic Hat #9. I haven't had that beer in years now but was all up on it

    5/16: Mount Kimbie @ Neumo's
    5/21: Fever Ray @ The Showbox
    5/25-27: Sasquatch
    6/9: Huichica Music Festival
    6/5: Sleep @ The Showbox
    6/6: King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard @ the Showbox
    6/23: Snail Mail, Bonny Doon @ The Crocodile
    7/12: My Bloody Valentine @ Paramount
    7/21: Bombino @ The Crocodile
    9/6: The War on Drugs, Land of Talk @ The Paramount

  30. #90
    old school travelfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,974

    Default Re: Craft Beer Tent

    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    And that he doesn't consider them to be craft beer, his personal definition of craft beer is narrower in scope.
    Day for Night's Craft Beer tent was Abita and Dos Equis and nothing else.
    Quote Originally Posted by slinkybutt View Post
    Gazer isn't lamenting their success or the fact that they aren't part of a craft beer esoterica. He explicitly wrote that he doesn't want to support the parent company that bought them out bc of their aggressive practices towards smaller breweries.
    I'm cool with that. Like I said if personal ethics and/or narrower scope preclude somebody from supporting a beer, that's up to them. Essentially if you have a vision or ethic for consumption that goes past taste, that's rad. The eyeroll comes from how many turned on this company, and others, based not on ethics but from a "oh, you like that?" attitude when many were champions for the same breweries prior and nothing about the taste has changed, just the popularity.

    Quote Originally Posted by slinkybutt View Post
    And I thought travelfan was long winded in the set times threads
    King of the TLDR

Similar Threads

  1. Craft beer garden?
    By Corona89 in forum Misc. Babble
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-19-2014, 01:36 PM
  2. Craft Beer?
    By Hedley Lamar in forum Questions
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-16-2014, 10:23 AM
  3. Craft Canned Beer (for the Campgrounds)
    By PhoneWentWest in forum Camping/Lodging
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-27-2014, 06:38 PM
  4. Craft Beer Selection
    By clutchbeyers in forum Questions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-05-2012, 03:40 PM
  5. Craft Beer Fans
    By tonybagz in forum Misc. Babble
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-26-2012, 01:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •