Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Steely Dan

Default Re: Steely Dan

Yeah fuck yall doubters this was in the top 3 sets of the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    This makes me want to try week 2 next year.
    This was my first year at Weekend 2 after going Weekend 1 in 2013 and 2014. I will always prefer Weekend 2 from now on. Not even counting how much better the crowd seems to be - more people actually there for the music, less scenesters chasing down celebrities - the organizational improvements alone make it worth it. The ship is running very tight by Weekend 2, and I did not notice a single issue. Also, the set times were definitely improved upon for Weekend 2 (sound bleed issues fixed for Ryan Adams, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by purplecow View Post
    This was my first year at Weekend 2 after going Weekend 1 in 2013 and 2014. I will always prefer Weekend 2 from now on. Not even counting how much better the crowd seems to be - more people actually there for the music, less scenesters chasing down celebrities - the organizational improvements alone make it worth it. The ship is running very tight by Weekend 2, and I did not notice a single issue. Also, the set times were definitely improved upon for Weekend 2 (sound bleed issues fixed for Ryan Adams, etc)
    I agree. This was my first weekend 2 and I'm sold. A lot more old dudes like me just into the music. Sound was mostly good, logistics were great too. I would hope they let the headliners headline (i.e., go last). Or at lease have the end of night artist be of a similar genre.
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

Best musicianship all weekend, without a doubt.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

I could not have enjoyed Steely Dan's performance more. I loved everything about it.

I agree with ocbruin84 about the musicianship. They just nailed it, note after note. They can obviously bring in the best musicians they can find, but "Uncle Don and Uncle Wally" are no slouches themselves. They had just the right amount of swagger, too.

My dad is a jazz musician and I grew up being dragged to his gigs, so I've got a soft spot for bands that let everyone solo and loved the fact they had a trombone solo in their set. The drum solo during "Reelin' in the Years" was nice, too. I love it when a band plays a song that you've known for years but wasn't a favorite and they blow you away with it. They did that with "My Old School," which has been stuck in my head since Friday night.

My Old School was in my top five songs of the weekend. Could not scream "oh no, William and Mary won't do" any louder.
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

I went in to this set (W2) thinking I'd be a bit bored. Oh how wrong I was. Amazing musicianship, just perfection. Solid groove going the entire set. Bummed I had to miss Caribou for it, but it was worth it since I'll see them twice in 2015 and who knows when the chance to see Steely Dan will come around again. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but this was one of the pleasant surprises of the weekend for me.

And I'll echo that weekend 2 is the easy choice for those who care about the music first and foremost. Better crowd, less technical glitches, less late starts, adjusted/optimized set times, more time to prep based on W1 webcast/first hand accounts... And now it seems all the surprises aren't guaranteed for W1 either, if that's something you care about. But the grass is definitely more trampled for W2!

Quote Originally Posted by grichsgang View Post
    My Old School was in my top five songs of the weekend. Could not scream "oh no, William and Mary won't do" any louder.
    This song hit me like a pile of bricks. MY. Fucking. God.

So so good. Can't believe they played Coachella.

That fucking monologue during Hey Nineteen was great too. Talking about the raver kids and their LED lights and pacifiers. lmao

I was bummed they played identical sets both W1 and W2 (I didn't watch all of W2 but 2 songs in I could tell it was going to be the same set and internet confirms this). Since they were mixing it up during the surrounding concerts (according to setlist.fm), you'd think they'd do it for the Coachella crowd but no dice. I enjoyed myself W1 but was majorly disappointed W2.

Coachella '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12 W1, '13 W1&2, '14 W1, '15 W1&2, '16 W1 (maybe '19 W1)

Their set was beyond amazing, I couldn't believe the musicianship these dudes had. They put on a fucking show, plus all the badass people in the crowd where I was made it awesome. Glad I was able to smoke out the OG fans who knew every song as soon as it started!