Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Morning Jacket

Default Re: My Morning Jacket

And you all need to stop with the "they're not popular enough to headline" shit. That's not what this conversation is about. What this is about is lots of acts have been promoted to headliners because they were popular but couldn't actually hold the crowd 'cause they weren't actually particularly good performers. There are a finite number of musical acts in the world--a finite number of acts who are definitely headliner material, and also a finite number of acts who are on the precipice of becoming headliners. There are two things you can say promote someone to headliner status: popularity or talent.

I'm saying if Coachella can put up Jack Johnson just because he sold a bunch of copies of Curious George, or The Stone Roses just because they never played in the US, why not get some balls and let the WTF? headliner be a band that will perform spectacularly, rather than a popular band that might be good?

I watched the crowd flee from Outkast last year (rightfully so, that was a terribly planned performance). I doubt most of the crowd there were actually big Outkast fans, they were just there to see the headliner. And they fled rapidly as soon as it started to suck. Put on MMJ and people will show up just to see what the fuck is going on, and you ain't gonna see any exodus.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Arctic Monkeys SHOULD fucking headline as a matter of fact. Shit, even in 2007 they were better than 2 out of the 3 headliners (Bjork obviously being the exception). Coachella sells out no matter what, it's time for them to start pushing the tightest bands out there into the headliner spots instead of just whatever the kids won't shut the fuck up about like Phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Put on MMJ and people will show up just to see what the fuck is going on, and you ain't gonna see any exodus.
    This is where you're letting your affection for the band override reality. The usual reaction for people that haven't heard of a headliner (or might have heard the name but know nothing about them) isn't to go to their set to see why they're headlining and give them a chance. Especially with the younger Coachella demographic, the reaction is to say "who the fuck is that?" and go somewhere else because the expectation for headliners is to be huge names and huge draws. Like it or not, the entire point of attaining headliner status is that you don't have to win people over anymore and your reputation alone guarantees a headliner crowd.

Blur and SR were the only headliners in the last 5-6 years without widespread name recognition, and their crowds were pretty good indicators that at best a few thousand people were looking to discover why they were on the top of the poster. Most of them shrugged and moved on.

MMJ are an amphitheater band with limited appeal, and they've been around long enough that they've settled into that role. There's no reasonable argument to be made that they're on a steady upward trajectory and on the edge of getting beyond that to an arena level band. I don't see how that reality translates into a large crowd of people unfamiliar with the band flocking to see them and dying to be converted.

I agree with the hand. MMJ has the talent to headline but putting them in that position would almost be a disservice to them. No one wants to see another "who the fuck are the Stone Roses" reaction. I bet you the confusion and dissonance from Coachella's fan base affected the band members of the Stone Roses in a negative way. I mean how would you interpret it being a headliner and being pumped about playing coachella just to see a big WTF from the media. You could argue that it worked for Arcade Fire in 2011 but the difference is that the music industry endorsed AF's rise to the top. They won a couple grammys and media outlets were paid to hype them up (and they lived up to the hype). I don't know, I just don't see any indication that MMJ is going to take the jump. If they do they'd be best served to do it on the farm with a more inclusive and open fanbase.

I'd be beyond stocked if MMJ is a subheadliner at coachella.

MMJ -> Prince
    MMJ -> The Rolling Stones
    MMJ -> U2
    MMJ -> Pearl Jam

All four of these scenarios would work flawlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    This is where you're letting your affection for the band override reality. The usual reaction for people that haven't heard of a headliner (or might have heard the name but know nothing about them) isn't to go to their set to see why they're headlining and give them a chance. Especially with the younger Coachella demographic, the reaction is to say "who the fuck is that?" and go somewhere else because the expectation for headliners is to be huge names and huge draws. Like it or not, the entire point of attaining headliner status is that you don't have to win people over anymore and your reputation alone guarantees a headliner crowd.

Blur and SR were the only headliners in the last 5-6 years without widespread name recognition, and their crowds were pretty good indicators that at best a few thousand people were looking to discover why they were on the top of the poster. Most of them shrugged and moved on.

MMJ are an amphitheater band with limited appeal, and they've been around long enough that they've settled into that role. There's no reasonable argument to be made that they're on a steady upward trajectory and on the edge of getting beyond that to an arena level band. I don't see how that reality translates into a large crowd of people unfamiliar with the band flocking to see them and dying to be converted.
    I don't think you necessarily have to play arenas to be a good headliner, and you certainly don't have to play arenas to be picked as a headliner even if people call it a mistake. You act like Coachella started in 2013 with Blur and The Stone Roses. It didn't. Believe it or not, there's a much longer history of what makes up a good or bad headliner choice. The Stone Roses were somebody that nobody had heard of because they were a band 20 years ago. If you were alive 20 years ago, you knew who the Stone Roses were. Kids alive today have heard of MMJ. And also not every fucking night is for the fucking kids. They get enough attention, the main stage isn't about them every single night--if you've been paying attention.

MMJ drew a plenty decent sized crowd in 2008 at sunset. And people didn't show up and leave, they came and stayed, because there was a fucking good band on stage. It wasn't densely packed, but it went back plenty far. Can't really say the same for Phoenix (who are a young people's band but the young people still didn't give that much of a shit).

Portishead is not an arena band. Portishead would also make an amazing headliner. And a lot of kids would go "Who is Portishead?" This does not mean that Portishead could not possibly be a headliner at Coachella because, y'know, they almost fucking were. Paul Tollett does not make every single decision based on what's happening on the fucking radio.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

I have a "who the fuck is x" reaction every time I hear who won the grammies.

MMJ is plenty well known amongst Coachella attendees. stop fooling yourselves.

Seriously. It would be out of left field and I'm sure plenty of people would whine about them not being "big enough to headline," but the fact is they'd fucking destroy. And yes, there are people who check out bands they haven't listened to much of before. I do it at Coachella regularly. Are you seriously telling me you don't swing by the headliners and say, "Alright, you've got ten minutes to not suck completely?" Unless there's something I absolutely refuse to miss conflicting, I generally check them out. I think most people do.

You're not gonna get the candy kids over to the main stage for anything that isn't electronic music or a band that has already headlined really recently. Someone's gotta get promoted this year otherwise shit's gonna get pretty brutally repetitious. I'm making the case for Coachella to take the chance and let these motherfucker show off what they can do.

I haven't made a single argument regarding whether MMJ would make a "good" headliner, or whether GV "should" bump them up from a career sub-head to a headliner. I realize you're interested in arguing those subjective issues of taste, but I'm not. I'm simply saying that based on the recent history of headliners, that MMJ seems extremely unlikely as a candidate and will very likely never get the chance.

I also have no idea why you said I think Coachella only goes back to 2013 with Blur/SR. What part of "Blur and SR were the only headliners in the last 5-6 years without widespread name recognition" do you not understand? Given the growth of the festival and the change to two weekends in 2012, any headliner comparison further back than 09 gets less and less relevant. With a few exceptions, almost all headliners in that period have been arena-level bands.

That doesn't mean that non-arena bands can't headline and be good headliners. It just means that there generally has to be another strong factor (or several) to make up for the lack of arena popularity. Phoenix wasn't arena-level, but they were on a quick ascent, had massive radio play, a new album expected to be big, and probably benefitted from that year having a severe lack of headliner availability. Blur/SR seemed to be some kind of nostalgia play from Paul based on their legacy, as well as a massive overestimation of their stateside draw, and that mistake won't be repeated. Arcade Fire weren't arena-level in 2011 when they headlined, but they were close, had been a critical darling and on a steady rise in trajectory prior to that. Same can be said of Kanye.

None of those things really apply to MMJ. I'm trying to figure out what advantage it would provide to GV to bump them up to headliner as opposed to just booking them as a sub-head. Certainly not prestige, sales, increased demand, or any kind of rarity. Regardless of what you think of the band, I think it's pretty clear that outside of their own fanbase, your average festival goer isn’t going to be blown away by seeing them on the top line. Wouldn't be a big get...they tour a lot and play a lot of festivals. They're not going to drive ticket sales or make anyone think "SHIT, I REALLY NEED TO GET IN ON THE PRESALE NEXT YEAR IF THIS IS THE TYPE OF HEADLINER GV BOOKS." Won't draw a valuable demographic that GV doesn't draw otherwise.

Just look at it from GV’s perspective and tell me what the big upside is, and what does MMJ provide that they couldn’t just as easily get from dozens of other mid-tier amphitheater bands that are perpetually stuck at sub-head status? You've already said you think they'll put on a kick-ass show, which is fine, but every Flaming Lips/National/Vampire Weekend/QOTSA/Modest Mouse/Arctic Monkeys/DFA 1979/Franz Ferdinand/Yeah Yeah Yeahs fan thinks the exact same thing, and that alone doesn't sell a headliner slot and push you up the poster. GV clearly doesn't give a shit about repetition either, so that's hardly justification.
    Last edited by mrhand; 10-22-2014 at 07:46 PM.

A 90-120 minute set from My Morning Jacket is the plus side.
    Translation

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    I want to punch that woman.

TL/DR

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    A 90-120 minute set from My Morning Jacket is the plus side.
    BREAKING NEWS: Riots break out nationwide, demanding extra half hour of music from My Morning Jacket. Footage at 11pm.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    TL/DR
    MMJ aren't headlining. Ever. You're welcome.
    Last edited by mrhand; 10-22-2014 at 08:07 PM.

I haven't made a single argument regarding whether MMJ would make a "good" headliner, or whether GV "should" bump them up from a career sub-head to a headliner. I realize you're interested in arguing those subjective issues of taste, but I'm not. I'm simply saying that based on the recent history of headliners, that MMJ seems extremely unlikely as a candidate and will very likely never get the chance.

I also have no idea why you said I think Coachella only goes back to 2013 with Blur/SR. What part of "Blur and SR were the only headliners in the last 5-6 years without widespread name recognition" do you not understand? Given the growth of the festival and the change to two weekends in 2012, any headliner comparison further back than 09 gets less and less relevant. With a few exceptions, almost all headliners in that period have been arena-level bands.

That doesn't mean that non-arena bands can't headline and be good headliners. It just means that there generally has to be another strong factor (or several) to make up for the lack of arena popularity. Phoenix wasn't arena-level, but they were on a quick ascent, had massive radio play, a new album expected to be big, and probably benefitted from that year having a severe lack of headliner availability. Blur/SR seemed to be some kind of nostalgia play from Paul based on their legacy, as well as a massive overestimation of their stateside draw, and that mistake won't be repeated. Arcade Fire weren't arena-level in 2011 when they headlined, but they were close, had been a critical darling and on a steady rise in trajectory prior to that. Same can be said of Kanye.

None of those things really apply to MMJ. I'm trying to figure out what advantage it would provide to GV to bump them up to headliner as opposed to just booking them as a sub-head. Certainly not prestige, sales, increased demand, or any kind of rarity. Regardless of what you think of the band, I think it's pretty clear that outside of their own fanbase, your average festival goer isn’t going to be blown away by seeing them on the top line. Wouldn't be a big get...they tour a lot and play a lot of festivals. They're not going to drive ticket sales or make anyone think "SHIT, I REALLY NEED TO GET IN ON THE PRESALE NEXT YEAR IF THIS IS THE TYPE OF HEADLINER GV BOOKS." Won't draw a valuable demographic that GV doesn't draw otherwise.

Just look at it from GV’s perspective and tell me what the big upside is, and what does MMJ provide that they couldn’t just as easily get from dozens of other mid-tier amphitheater bands that are perpetually stuck at sub-head status? You've already said you think they'll put on a kick-ass show, which is fine, but every Flaming Lips/National/Vampire Weekend/QOTSA/Modest Mouse/Arctic Monkeys/DFA 1979/Franz Ferdinand/Yeah Yeah Yeahs fan thinks the exact same thing, and that alone doesn't sell a headliner slot and push you up the poster. GV clearly doesn't give a shit about repetition either, so that's hardly justification.
    It provides a great set by a headliner, something that they haven't had since 2012. That's what it provides.

It provides a great set by a headliner, something that they haven't had since 2012. That's what it provides.
    So we're back to "I like this band therefore they're a headliner."

I surrender.

old school

Arctic Monkeys SHOULD fucking headline as a matter of fact. Shit, even in 2007 they were better than 2 out of the 3 headliners (Bjork obviously being the exception).
    Arctic Monkey were better at Coachella in 2007 than Rage Against The Machine's first show in 6-7 years?

Blur was perhaps my favourite headliner in the 5 years I attended. Pity that 90% of those at the festival were out to lunch.

I would fucking be so pumped if MMJ were given a 2 hour headlining spot. I scratch my head as to why it hasn't happened already. Randy is right when it comes to all the repetition with headliners. If the fest sells out regardless, it's time to let some other talent have those headlining spots.

May 27th - War/Parliament funkadelic - Santa Barbara Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Chainsmokers are undeniably better than Jack White at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Arctic Monkey were better at Coachella in 2007 than Rage Against The Machine's first show in 6-7 years?

Blur was perhaps my favourite headliner in the 5 years I attended. Pity that 90% of those at the festival were out to lunch.
    Rage is terrible. So yes, absolutely everything that was at Coachella that year was better.

Blur has three good songs and they're not that impressive as live performers. Sorry dicks.

So we're back to "I like this band therefore they're a headliner."

I surrender.
    You seem to have real difficulty with the subjective nature of reality. They're a headliner because they're a great band. Whether or not they're a great band is debatable--whether or not being a great band even if you only play ampitheatres makes you headliner quality is a different question. The former I won't debate because it's stupid, the latter I will if you insist but it's dumb.

old school

Rage is terrible. So yes, absolutely everything that was at Coachella that year was better.

Blur has three good songs and they're not that impressive as live performers. Sorry dicks.
    Vintage blur clips more or less all suck but Coachella and the 2 Hyde DVDs are good. Not even I'm crazy enough to say RATM are terrible and I'm hot/cold on their music.

As for the "present a great live act and the crowds will follow" concept, I only have to point out the dismal crowds for both Faith No More and Nick Cave. 90+% of the crowd was elsewhere and both were very highly billed on the main stage.

Yeah you've already said that, and I already replied to it.

MMJ on the mainstage with whatever cheese dick DJ du jour in the Sahara and whatever pop-friendly act the kids love on the outdoor would be perfect.

5/16: Mount Kimbie @ Neumo's
    5/21: Fever Ray @ The Showbox
    5/25-27: Sasquatch
    6/9: Huichica Music Festival
    6/5: Sleep @ The Showbox
    6/6: King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard @ the Showbox
    6/23: Snail Mail, Bonny Doon @ The Crocodile
    7/12: My Bloody Valentine @ Paramount
    7/21: Bombino @ The Crocodile
    9/6: The War on Drugs, Land of Talk @ The Paramount

Vintage blur clips more or less all suck but Coachella and the 2 Hyde DVDs are good. Not even I'm crazy enough to say RATM are terrible and I'm hot/cold on their music.

As for the "present a great live act and the crowds will follow" concept, I only have to point out the dismal crowds for both Faith No More and Nick Cave. 90+% of the crowd was elsewhere and both were very highly billed on the main stage.
    Neither of those acts are remotely current. They are not remotely comparable to MMJ. Your arguments really suck, even for Bumblebee.

old school

Neither of those acts are remotely current. They are not remotely comparable to MMJ. Your arguments really suck, even for Bumblebee.
    The most recent Nick Cave studio album was more relevant than the most recent MMJ. The MMJ show I saw in 2011 was 1,500 people in a 2,700 seat theater.

Relevant to whom? Not to anyone under the age of 30.

The most recent Nick Cave studio album was more relevant than the most recent MMJ. The MMJ show I saw in 2011 was 1,500 people in a 2,700 seat theater.
    1,200 got wind of the fact that you'd be there and made other plans.

5/16: Mount Kimbie @ Neumo's
    5/21: Fever Ray @ The Showbox
    5/25-27: Sasquatch
    6/9: Huichica Music Festival
    6/5: Sleep @ The Showbox
    6/6: King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard @ the Showbox
    6/23: Snail Mail, Bonny Doon @ The Crocodile
    7/12: My Bloody Valentine @ Paramount
    7/21: Bombino @ The Crocodile
    9/6: The War on Drugs, Land of Talk @ The Paramount

old school

Relevant to whom? Not to anyone under the age of 30.
    Sold more in the US than his other albums. It's young fans buying it as well as long term fans.

My Morning Jacket will never be promoted to Coachella headliner. They will at best get a 60 minute set at any of the two outdoor stages at night. Sub or sub to the Sub at the most and least. Now quit your soapboxin' trying to convince others of your dream scenario. At this point any of those still unrelentingly lobbying for this to happen have clearly not been paying attention to the changes for the Coachella brand. Go yell at a fucking cloud but before that get off my fucking grass.
    I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member...

One day they will headline. You just have to believe.

May 27th - War/Parliament funkadelic - Santa Barbara Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Chainsmokers are undeniably better than Jack White at this point.

I'm looking forward to coming back in here one day to say I told you so.

in the mean-time I should probably stop coming back in here. this conversation went from marginally interesting to downright annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    MMJ on the mainstage with whatever cheese dick DJ du jour in the Sahara and whatever pop-friendly act the kids love on the outdoor would be perfect.
    Like at Sasquatch in 2010 when MMJ headlined opposite Deadmau5, and most morons watched Deadmau5. It was great having so much room to watch yet another brilliant MMJ show.