Thread: everyone should just go alone

Default everyone should just go alone

many festivals, first year at coachella.

hanging with friends is cool,obviously. But when they are sitting around not knowing what to do & see is utterly fucking annoying. its even worse when "its too hot to go in, lets wait till 3pm". Fuck that. Took the pinball route on Sunday and covered 12 sets. Sitting on the grass by yourself is also a magnet for chicks/people that want to sell & offer you drugs/photo ops with people and even "Happy coachella" kisses.

awesome.

Lurker

Default Re: everyone should just go alone

church

Your experience and others will be totally different. Some people don't want to go alone, so leave them be
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Shut it down.

I never go with anyone. I live 2 miles from the event, so people always want to come stay at my house, I say that's fine but lets be clear... I leave at 10:30 or so and I don't wanna hang out while we are there. If you wanna hang out, stay a few extra days

I go with my friends but they always want to go in after 3pm. I don't get that. Why come all this way and spend all that money to sit in a hotel room/condo?
    Since the advent of the shuttles, problem solved. I take the early shuttle and spend the first couple hours alone wandering around and doing whatever I feel like, then I meet up with my friends around 4. It's the best of both worlds.

My friends and I always get there early, and leave at the end each night. Sure, it can be tough on the body spending about 14-15 hours each day walking from stage to stage, but it's only once a year. We are definitely there to see the bands (particularly the new ones), not party. I don't understand those that show up after 3 pm each day, but hey, to each his own. More room for me!
    I arrived in America's airport with clothings, US dollars, and a jar of gypsy tears to protect me from AIDS.

i think im buying one ticket this year instead of two, my girl isnt super into it and i spent way too much time worrying about if other people were having a good time this year.

Three of us went this year and we'd sometimes hang out, or go our separate ways meeting up later. It's the best way to go. Being leashed to other people is potential for a bad time. We met a group and by Sunday two of the people were all bent out of shape because there was this idea that the group had to stay together. I told them they were grown adults and should be able to do what they want. The response: "I just don't want to upset them if I leave." Whatever.

GO WITH YOUR FRIENDS.
    DONT BE ATTACHED AT THE HIP.

DO YOUR OWN THING.

As a seasoned festival goer, I have a policy that "going together doesn't mean we stayin together unless you want to do everything I'm doing."

If I miraculously have a hole in my crazy, type A, planned down the fucking MINUTE overlapped as fuck itinerary, I will then ask you for your opinion on what you'd like to see. Otherwise, shut the fuck up when the music is on, hold your gawddamned bladder until we get a spare moment, no we ain't going to the front, and we ain't leaving the festival til it's muthfukkin OVER. I have this shit down to a science and I don't have the time or desire to wait for you to pussy foot around until you to come to the same conclusion I already TOLD you about on the way in. :-/

Otherwise, I'm a GREAT festival buddy!

I definitely see and hear about a lot of missed opportunities because people are so afraid to go off on their own. YES there will be certain sets you wanna see with your friends. But don't let that stop you from seeing the handful of acts you all differ on just to "stay together". Unless they paid for you and you staying attached to them is a contingency, fuck that noise!
    2/12 Metalachi
    2/29 Metric
    3/10 Beck
    3/21 New Order
    4/16 M83
    4/21 Coachella (wknd 2)
    5/18 Ben Folds
    5/19 The Cure
    7/22 OMD, Howard Jones
    7/29 Duran Duran

I've gone alone 5 times and its great.
    Coachella 02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,12,12,13,14,15,16!
    Alive 2007
    Tomorrowland 16

The one year I went by myself, 2013, I caught 39 sets. I could barely move Monday morning; my left hip socket was so inflamed. Had to go to the doctor on Tuesday. Now if you see a big, old guy holding onto the rail in the guest area in front of the stage, stretching before a set, that'd be me. I'm stretching constantly.
    Even though I look like one, I'm not a cop.

Coachella 10, 12.1, 13.1, 14.2, 15.1, 16.2
    SXSW 14
    Lalapalooza 94

rule #1 of any festival is do what you must to have fun. if that means leaving your group behind then do it. if that means leaving a set you were looking forward to because you arent feeling it then fine. if that means taking something random that was given to you then so be it.
    '07, '10, '11, '12 Wk1, '13 Wk1, '13 Wk2, '14 Wk1, '14 Wk2, '15 Wk1, '15 Wk2, '16 Wk1(Pending), '16 Wk2(Pending)

i have found my people...solo going on 8 years now with no ra-grets

Doing it this year for the first time and looking forward to it. I usually do solo missions at the fest but this time I'll be solo the whole weekend I'm pretty sure.

cool, you'll meet lots of people that way. enjoy it

I always end up straying from my group over the weekend, lately at least once a day. Always a favorite time of the fest for me. You meet the people around you, and it's just a different feeling overall, you're doing exactly what you want when you want to do it. Makes for more fun stories when you reconvene too
    Coachillin 10, 11, 12.1, 13.1, 14.1, 15.2, 16.2

Quote Originally Posted by timothyhockley View Post
    does goldenvoice read these posts to decide who to book?

Since I started attending the festival I always had a solid group and setup for Car Camping; this year's a different story. Long story short: my yearly group can't make it out this year, throwing a curveball into my plans for camping. It was practically ensured I wouldn't have shitty frat house neighbors right next to me, and frankly I'd like to keep it that way. I've always cruised around the festival solo, which is always a major plus, with the occasional Beer Garden meet up in between sets. Overall I think it's best when you can catch the sets you want or roam freely checking out art, etc.

Some of my best Coachella moments have been enjoying a set solo... especially at Sunset - I feel like that's when things really start to conflict if you have a group.
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up View Post
    a cunt punt is always the best solution to cure someone of their bitchassness
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    What asshole brings an iPad to a hippie fire circle?