Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is VIP worth it?

Default Re: Is VIP worth it?

Thanks for all the info, travelfan.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    The expanded beer gardens by the main stage made watching sets from the VIP area ridiculously easy. We watched some of Porter/Madeon from there, and I kept thinking what a great view it would be for a show you really wanted to see.
    I guess I didn't notice this. I had free VIP back in 2006 and felt like the main stage viewing area was far from the stage. I remember feeling dumb standing in there watching Kanye and seeing plenty of open spots much closer. Have they made the viewing area closer? Also, do they have any craft beer in the VIP beer gardens?

Quote Originally Posted by gazercmh View Post
    Thanks for all the info, travelfan.

I guess I didn't notice this. I had free VIP back in 2006 and felt like the main stage viewing area was far from the stage. I remember feeling dumb standing in there watching Kanye and seeing plenty of open spots much closer. Have they made the viewing area closer? Also, do they have any craft beer in the VIP beer gardens?
    It's farther, in many ways. But what's happened is that the main stage has shifted slightly, and thus the beer gardens have extended into the flat fields area, and not just the terraced slope (if you know what I mean). Thus, when you're standing up watching shows from that same slope, not only do you get a better angle of the main stage, but an amazing visual of the crowds. It's a great bird's eye visual.

These are generally really helpful writeups. I had no idea about the 1200 bottles thing, that's madness.

My fiancee really wants to do VIP next year, but we go in a big group of people. If it were just the two of us, we'd probably enjoy the downtime, comfort, etc. But there's no way the others would do it, and we don't end up splitting off on our own often enough that it seems like we'd get much use out of it.

Personally, I'd rather just take the extra $500 and go both weekends. But then we'd have lots of downtime one of the weekends, and really wish it were VIP haha. Maybe we'll give it a shot next year; at the least, it's nice that they seem to be making it a little more worthwhile.

I feel like there's plenty of shaded areas to hang out and relax during downtime even without paying an extra $500 for VIP, main stage beer garden, craft beer, cantina, Sonora/Yuma stages, the new beer area between Sahara/Gobi area. They even had Lagunitas IPA for $10 at the main stage, not too shabby for a stronger beer than Heineken.
    Coachella 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

3.14-18 SXSW
    4.14-16 Coachella
    -----
    http://www.last.fm/user/djoz187
    [url]https://twitter.com/djoz18[url]
    https://instagram.com/djoz187

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    How does one carry 1200 bottles?
    pretty sure you can bring them in batches and get it notated on a card how many you've brought (They offered to do that for me, anyway, for an extra 2 bottles I had when I wanted a free water bottle, ha).
    5/30-6/2 Primavera Sound . 7/21 Lake Street Dive . 7/23 Animal Collective . 7/31 Beach House . 9/15 Beyoncé & Jay-Z . 9/29 The Decemberists . 10/5-10/7 ACL Fest

1200 bottles for VIP is actually a pretty great exchange rate

How much time is taken away from actually enjoying the festival, though?

All of Thursday and Friday morning can be used drinking and collecting. Im sure you could easily collect bottles and cans from people. Yes, I do believe they offered for cans as well.
    10' - 11' - 12' W2 - 13' W1 - 14' W1 - 15' W1 - 16' W1 - 17' W1

You're not on the lineup no one wants to see u dj. Stop. Especially if you're going to play Calvin Harris u fuckin knob... - Reeber

RESPECT THE FORMULA - Guedita

VIP was pretty cool. I got free makeup done in the powder room (I did tip though).
    I miss talking to TomAz.

We all do. I live in the same city as him (unless he relocated) and rumor has it that at 3:15am if you listen closely and its really really quiet you can hear him telling you to go fuck yourself.

So rude that the Powder Room was for women only. Bros need festival bling, too.

KazuNori in the Rose Garden is worth the price by itself. So tasty and such perfect fuel for the day. When they weren't listed on this year's "food lineup" press release nor Directory, I was afraid my VIP experience was in ruins...only to discover on Day 2 that they were back.

Some of the best vendors in the Rose Garden weren't on the list for whatever reason. Woodley Proper was a party every day.

We probably recycled 100 without even trying, just grabbing bottles on our way back to the Terrace to get a cold bottle of water in exchange for 10 each time. I don't imagine it's very time-consuming at all.
    5/30-6/2 Primavera Sound . 7/21 Lake Street Dive . 7/23 Animal Collective . 7/31 Beach House . 9/15 Beyoncé & Jay-Z . 9/29 The Decemberists . 10/5-10/7 ACL Fest

There is nothing VIP about "VIP"

I think the GA bar areas , Craft Beer Barn etc are more than good enough and at points less crowded than VIP.

Quote Originally Posted by mofomofo View Post
    KazuNori in the Rose Garden is worth the price by itself.
    I never found a time where the line wasn't unbearably long. The vegan ramen in the back corner was astonishingly good, no line, and super fast.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    Some of the best vendors in the Rose Garden weren't on the list for whatever reason. Woodley Proper was a party every day.

Somehow I just couldn't convince myself that raw oysters in the desert was a good life choice.

I mean, VIP is admittedly dumb and overpriced, but the Rose Garden is really very nice.

VIP had no lines early in the day though, and that was really nice.
    I miss talking to TomAz.

We all do. I live in the same city as him (unless he relocated) and rumor has it that at 3:15am if you listen closely and its really really quiet you can hear him telling you to go fuck yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    VIP had no lines early in the day though, and that was really nice.
    GA had no lines early in the day, either.

Received this push notification from the Coachella App on Saturday during an early set. Stopped by the Amex tent and sure enough they cut off our GA wrist bands and replaced them with VIP.

We basically had to force ourselves to visit what we can in VIP all weekend and all it did was confirm that it wasn't worth it, especially if you are at Coachella for the music. Thanks Amex for confirming what we kind of already knew.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Seems like there were lots of random upgrades between AmEx and the shuttles -- guess they didn't think that VIP was crowded enough!