Page 85 of 92 FirstFirst ... 8081828384858687888990 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,550 of 2759

Thread: FYF 2014

Default Re: FYF 2014

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    how did I not ask for today off? fml...
    Ugh...Dammit.

Sunday was much more enjoyable. Possibly because I was just around the mainstage from Tanlines-->The Strokes. Absolutely no line whatsoever for entry on Sunday. They got their shit together for The Arena, which I'm glad this festival adjusted for us after complaints although "realizing" that $3 for a water is too expensive, shouldn't happen.

I had an overall good time. The good outweighed the bad for me, including the fact that I only spent $140 for a 2 day weekend.

Edit: I've seen Grimes twice, and both times the sound is complete shit for at least the first 15 minutes. I didn't stick around to see if they decided to fix it this time.
    Last edited by DFrank; 08-25-2014 at 09:28 AM.

Flight Facilities 02/25 @ Fonda

Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    yeah I left after that as well. it was a good way to end the weekend and I was too tired to walk 10 minutes plus to go stand in the back for the Strokes. it was different than any of the sets I've seen him do previously. some of that had to do with his new material, but he also just played lots of songs/styles that I'd never really heard him play live before. I'm not describing it well, maybe it was the way he paced it. but yeah, it was great. the new shit sounded crazy. it was also the only set of the weekend that seemed loud enough.
    Yep that was incredible, he wasn't too talkative on the mic either. Those new tracks sounded great

Todd fucking Terje tho

great meeting everyone at City Tavern on Saturday and Sunday morning. the $10 flight of beers was a good way to kick off the morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    5/1 Sleater Kinney @Palladium - 5/15 PsychoCA @ Observatory - 5/16 Juan Maclean @Regent - 5/18 Tanlines @Echoplex - 5/31 Courtney Barnett @Roxy

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cansei de ser sexme View Post
    Todd fucking Terje tho
    When I finally got into that set I was seething with frustration, but almost immediately got completely swept up in the music. Such an incredible set!
    last.fm
    5/15-17/15 - Psycho CA @ Observatory // 5/22/15 - Laura Jane Grace @ Hollywood Forever Cemetary // 5/27/15 - Neutral Milk Hotel @ Warner Grand Theater
    6/3/15 - Sufjan Stevens @ Dorothy Chandler // 7/15/15 - Shellac @ Regent // 7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy

Top 5

1) Slowdive- one of the greatest festival sets I've ever seen. Blew my mind. Still can't stop thinking about that set!!
    2) The Strokes- loved the set list. Sound quality was outstanding on the main stage all weekend.
    3) Darkside- such a unique sound. Best guitar work of the weekend by far.
    4) Interpol- they were smart by sticking to their early stuff. New songs were strong as well.
    5) Presidents of USA- so much fun. Great energy.

Pros- weather, sound quality, no lines for porta potties (if you used the right ones), great crowd, early day acts that I saw were all solid.
    Cons- long walk from lawn stage to main, lines for food trucks after 5 pm, $3 water, arena issue on Saturday.

Overall, I thought it was a great festival. They fixed their issues on Sunday, the lineup was stellar, and besides the walk from stage to stage the location was actually really cool.
    COACHELLA- 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 (wk 1 & 2), 13 (wk 1 &2), 14 (wk 1 & 2)

I feel as if the weekend blended in with today. I feel out of it as fuck.
    Lucidity, come back to me. Put all five senses back to where they're meant to be.

I've been here 4 hours and replied to 2 emails. it's almost lunch time.
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    5/1 Sleater Kinney @Palladium - 5/15 PsychoCA @ Observatory - 5/16 Juan Maclean @Regent - 5/18 Tanlines @Echoplex - 5/31 Courtney Barnett @Roxy

Interpol and the Strokes were pleasant surprises, both were far better than I thought either would be at this point in the game. The Blood Brothers were much better live than on record, especially after double-fisting Stellas haha.

One of the aspects of this layout that sucked was that with the whole thing being like a dogleg right golf course it was a lot harder to run into people! At the historic park it seems like everyone's kinda zig-zagging back and forth so I'd always run into people and say hi for a bit, this happened far less this weekend.
    5/01 - Sleater-Kinney - Palladium
    5/03 - Lightning Bolt/Liturgy - Echoplex
    5/05 - Thee Oh Sees - The Smell
    5/08 - The Acid - El Rey (?)
    5/14 - Melody's Echo Chamber - Roxy (?)

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    pube farm
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

my top 5:

1. Flying Lotus
    - Ty Segall (tie)

3. Run The Jewels
    4. Built To Spill
    5. Earl Sweatshirt

HM: Slint, Interpol, Thundercat, Les Sins,

I regret going to Caribou after RTJ instead of Slowdive. Caribou started late and were just OK. I also regret choosing Mac DeMarco over Ryan Hemsworth.

I was lucky enough to get into the festival grounds at 1:30 each day. I was one of the guys giving out the free cult record tote bags at the entrance.

I was also lucky enough to get into Todd Terje and Caribou. Those two back to back were absolutely fucking amazing. I'm still thinking of Terje's set. I felt that last Whitney Houston song hit a real soft spot for me.
    Lucidity, come back to me. Put all five senses back to where they're meant to be.

My top 5 sets of the weekend:
    1. Built To Spill
    2. Ty Segall
    3. Future Islands
    4. Thundercat
    5. Joyce Manor

honorable mentions: Balance and Composure, Earl Sweatshirt, Twin Peaks, Boris

1) The Strokes
    2) Todd Terje
    3) Caribou
    4) Blood Orange
    5) Albert Hammond Jr

and fuck Haim. those bitches talk way too fucking much. God damn

Quote Originally Posted by stellarpoet22 View Post
    I saw people soaked in sweat and crying coming out from the front for the strokes ...
    Enjoyed them from a distance ...
    It was a lot worse than a little too much sweat. This one lady that was a few people to the left of me in front of the right side monitor had puked on herself and was in a total state of panic as she tried pushed her way out to the back. Horrific shit for sure. And then numerous other people were dehydrated as fuck, could barely stand and needed their friends to carry them out.

Strokes were so great. happy to see them. Future Islands were probably the best set i saw, phoenix were on the ball, and dark side captivated that entire fucking arena. Ryan hems worth was a big surprise that i haven't experienced at a festival in a while so that was fun.

anybody have good pictures from the fest?

1. The Strokes
    2. Run the Jewels
    3. Slowdive
    4. Joanna Gruesome
    5. Grimes

Did anyone else catch Joanna Gruesome's set? I thought they were fantastic. They were a recent discovery for me but I left their set a huge fan.

Quote Originally Posted by zachattacks11 View Post
    1. The Strokes
    2. Run the Jewels
    3. Slowdive
    4. Joanna Gruesome
    5. Grimes

Did anyone else catch Joanna Gruesome's set? I thought they were fantastic. They were a recent discovery for me but I left their set a huge fan.
    yeah i was sitting in the back waiting for Balance and Composure. they were pretty tight, for some reason i wasn't expecting them to be good performers.

Yeah, Joanna Gruesome are my favorite discovery from the fest's lineup and their set was ggooooooddd. Will probably never get over their name though, ha.

Quote Originally Posted by AeroplaneJunkie View Post
    anybody have good pictures from the fest?
    This for now. More soon.

nice! wish i saw Darkside, they were amazing at Coachella and that's probably the last time I'll be able to see them.

1. The Strokes
    2. Todd Terje
    3. Darkside
    4. Chet Faker
    5. Slowdive

Great weekend overall! The stage locations and Saturday's Arena clusterfuck gave me headaches but I'm glad they significantly improved the sound quality from last year. The best part about FYF is the great music and crowd they bring and they did not disappoint. I believe FYF is an improving festival that opens people up with new music other than shitty EDM that is crazily popular in the west coast so whatever Sean does, I fully support -- as long as he doesn't keep making the same mistakes.
    9/19 - CHVRCHES - Hollywood Palladium
    10/7 - Belle and Sebastian - Ace Hotel
    10/16 - Massive Attack - Greek Theatre
    12/5 - Flight Facilities - The Regent Theater

1.Slint
    2.Slowdive
    3.DARKSIDE
    4.The Strokes
    5. Jamie xx

Honorable mentions: Built to Spill, DJ Harvey
    I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member...

Right there with ya. I normally show better judgment... normally. Hell, I didn't even drink much yesterday, I'm just plain sore- my dogs are barkin!

Good performances yesterday from The Blood Brothers and Darkside. Glad most of the major issues from the day before were fixed. But...

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I don't want anyone to pretend that just because it was highly improved on Sunday compared to Saturday that it was still acceptable though.
    Yea, nice the got their act together but Saturday was bad. And you... you were a seething cauldron of anger yesterday!

Ok, need to work on getting motivated for NIN tonight. Maybe an energy bar will do it.
    This Will Destroy You| A Place To Bury Strangers| His Name Is Alive| Barry Manilow| Coachella| U2

Sunday was way smoother than Saturday, the line was ridiculous! Took an hour to get in with cutting/security lady told us to follow a girl w/a backpack to the front. Saw a girl passed out on the Lawn, saw a guy carry his passed out gf out of interpol. Some douche security got mad and said nobodys getting in to the arena after interpol and people started say "Fuck this shit! Fuck this shit!"

Sunday took 5mins to get in, the arena was 10x more packed sunday at 3pm than saturday during Four-tet. The big sound stage they had also took up some of the arena space. Lights were dope. Security was getting mad at the people stage diving during built to spill. Than 2 black security dudes didn't give a fuck about smoking weed before the strokes. Alot of people were leaving the front of the strokes sweaty and dehydrated. Also his mic kept cutting out or he was forgetting his words.

Exiting the USC parking structure took forever on sunday tho'

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    I was heading for the exit and sat down to catch my breath for some flying lotus. And holy shit, so glad I did. Best set of the night. Not going to bother with the strokes.
    Flying Lotus was our final set too. Amazing dude, but I was too close and those visuals were too much for my brain to process. At one point I honestly thought I was going down, almost ended up at the medic. Remember how at the beginning he said something like, "No speeches. Fuck it. Your ded." Ha, he warned me. I enjoyed him much better while laying down on the grass in the back coming back down to earth.

Yesterday was so awesome that I forgot about Saturday. I was just glad to make it to Darkside. And I was trying to figure out if we walked more at FYF than coachella.

And hey, I never found any free water bottles, did you?
    He sold his soul for a shot at fame
    Catchphrase and wigs and the jokes are lame...

We got free water at the information booth when we walked in Sunday just before 3pm.

I got a free water bottle in the line to get in at about 315pm
    2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.1, 2013.1, 2014.1, 2015.1
    -----
    http://www.last.fm/user/djoz187

03.17-22 SXSW

Anyone figure out a good way to get the wristband off without cutting/ruining it?
    2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.1, 2013.1, 2014.1, 2015.1
    -----
    http://www.last.fm/user/djoz187

03.17-22 SXSW

My thoughts on this weekend...

1. I guess I did the same thing as Cutter and "accidentally" cut the line to get in on Saturday. I got there at 3 and the whole process of getting in only took about 15 minutes. I don't know how I would've reacted if I had to wait hours and miss Slint. Fuck that. Once inside, I could tell pretty quickly that the venue wasn't right for the fest. I mean, close to a mile walk from the Lawn to the Main? An arena with ins and outs that sometimes felt like a death trap, and from what I experienced, I'm surprised there wasn't any trampling of people. I just hope it goes back to the Historic Park next year. Has it been established that they will be returning there?

2. The music. Someone said this was the best sounding festival they've attended and I totally agree. Slint was phenomenal and my favorite performance of the weekend overall. Being front and center, and witnessing Don, Aman live was unreal. When Britt and Pajo sat across from each other and just played... So many goosebumps. I never knew Britt sang that song! Their lighting was really cool too.
    Slowdive was a close second favorite act. Rachel still sings/looks like an angel and they all just did such a good job. Their set was specifically when I noticed how great the sound was. A reunion act that definitely feels like they never went away.
    Avey Tare's Slasher Flicks was fucking rad. Kids were getting amped at that show. And their drummer is probably the best I've ever seen.
    Joanna Gruesome were also pretty great. Hate the name but they killed it.
    Built To Spill surprisingly had the worst crowd of the weekend. I think they were all kids waiting for Earl but all around me it was just people talking/taking selfies/or fucking moshing and crowd surfing. Ugh, left halfway through to walk the mile to see Blood Orange. Glad I did because even though I couldn't get too close, I got to hear my favorites off Cupid Deluxe. I could go on but yeah etc., etc.

5/1 Sleater-Kinney @ The Palladium
    5/8 Stephin Merritt @ The Masonic Lodge at Hollywood Forever Cemetary
    5/30 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Pappy & Harriets
    6/4 The Mountain Goats @ Pappy & Harriets
    7/15 Shellac @ The Regent Theater DTLA