Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Pemberton 2014

Default Re: Pemberton 2014

Oh, I agree, Pemberton's line-up absolutely blew Squamish's out of the water this year and I'd far prefer that it continue on then Squamish. But a lot of people seem to have something against the Pemberton brand for whatever reason that might end up hurting the event in the long run.

I bet if Pemby comes correct again next year folks will show up. Was the consensus that folks didn't go this year because of how bad it was in previous years or do I have that wrong?

I think the main reason it sold so poorly is that they took forever to release the lineup and everyone already had their festival plans for the summer. Most festivals in the area had their lineup out for months before Pemberton, so tickets had been bought and vacation had been booked and all that stuff. Had they gotten their act together sooner they probably would have sold a lot more tickets.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by davers View Post
    I think the main reason it sold so poorly is that they took forever to release the lineup and everyone already had their festival plans for the summer. Most festivals in the area had their lineup out for months before Pemberton, so tickets had been bought and vacation had been booked and all that stuff. Had they gotten their act together sooner they probably would have sold a lot more tickets.
    That was a factor, but I think price was the bigger reason. Forced camping or forced shuttle bumping the price up over $400 just to set foot on the grounds. They are were also really late on the single day tickets and unlike 2008 there were no shuttles from Vancouver. The highway between Whistler and Pemberton needs to have as little traffic on it as possible as both 2008 and 2014 had traffic at a standstill - and those people need a very good reason to ever return.

It wasn't too unreasonable in my opinion. Sasquatch comes to almost $400 cdn and Squamish was $350 just for the festival pass without camping.

I don't know how it went for everyone, but I didn't run into any traffic problems entering or leaving. As long as they can put together a good lineup next year I think they'll probably sell more tickets. Hopefully they can poach some of the audience from Squamish, but I'm not sure how likely that is considering most people seemed to really enjoy Squamish this year, which I don't really understand at all.

I'll happily return to Pemberton.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by TheMTA View Post
    Yeah, Boonstock looks like its not going to make it into its second year. As for the rest of them, I imagine that the Seattle and BC fests can mostly stay out of each other's ways (having to cross the border is a big drawback for a lot of people), while some of the smaller fests will either die off or go into very specific niches. I imagine that Squamish and Pemberton will exist side-by-side for at least another year, but beyond that I'm not sure what's going to happen. I can't see Squamish really collapsing given the huge gains its made year-over-year, but if their 2014 line-up is any indication of what they want to do going forward I really hope that Pemberton pulls through.
    http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/09/g...xtra-policing/

Another strike against Boonstock

It's back

July 16-19 2015

Early bird tickets go on Sale Friday (Early Bird is still going to cost $300 bucks for the cheapest camping/shuttle ticket)

http://pembertonmusicfestival.com/

Was about to post that. It'll be interesting to see how this years line-up compares to last years; I worry that after 2014's financial failure they might scale back a bit, though who knows.

Also, is it generally customary here to start a new thread for the new year of the festival, or do we just keep the conversation going in this one?

I would tell you to wait until they actually post a damn line up, you know like in May.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    I would tell you to wait until they actually post a damn line up, you know like in May.
    This isn't some fake-out presale for 300 buyers. They must be confident about a couple big acts to anchor the lineup.

Plus they might announce in Feb to be competitive with Squamish.

Considering what an amazing time I had this year I'll be buying presale tickets for this and holding off on Sasquatch until the lineup comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    This isn't some fake-out presale for 300 buyers. They must be confident about a couple big acts to anchor the lineup.

Plus they might announce in Feb to be competitive with Squamish.
    Judging by the e-mail that they sent out, it seems that they may be announcing the first round of acts in January, along with some more information about ticket pricing. That would make sense to me, since Squamish got out way ahead of them last time, and as long as they've got a couple of decently large names that they can release right away it may be prudent to do so and start building buzz.

As for the presale tickets...I'm seriously tempted. I really liked the structure of last year's fest, and the line-up was fantastic, for my tastes at least. I'm still not entirely sure that they're established enough for me to risk the cash without them having announced any acts, though.

Really bummed going this year didn't work out. The mix of a good lineup and a tiny crowd would have been ace.
    4/8 Ride @ The Roxy, 4/10 St. Vincent @ The Cosmopolitan, 4/14 Barry Manilow @ Staples Center, 5/2 Desert Daze, 5/8-10 Levitation, 5/16 The Juan Maclean @ The Regent, 6/10 Emmy the Great @ Hotel Cafe, 6/12 Emmy the Great @ Hotel Utah

Got my presale tickets. Came to $353 Canadian ($306 American) with camping, which is cheaper than just festival passes for Sasquatch or Squamish last year without camping. Unless they totally tank the lineup I'm looking forward to one of the highlights of my summer already.

That's actually a good deal; I think I ended up spending $420 on my ticket/shuttle pass last year? I wish that I could pull the trigger on a presale ticket but...I just can't do it without knowing a bit of the lineup.

Speaking of the lineup, anyone have any predictions/hopes for who's going to be there? I honestly have no idea who the headliners are going to be; going into the festival season I figured that Foo Fighters and Muse were shoe-ins (if not for this then for Squamish), but both of those are incredibly unlikely due to their touring schedules (Muse could do Squamish potentially, but it'd be almost impossible for them to pull off Pemberton).

As an aside, Squamish Festival has announced their 2015 dates; they'll be going from the 7th to the 9th of August. I imagine that after the success they had last year they'll stick to a similar style of line-up, though I'll be interested to see if Pemberton can increase their numbers relative to their competitors this time around.

Working on that #PembyFest lineup! Thanks for the time to make it epic.

Who knows what that means, but they're probably not super close. I was hoping they'd put theirs out before Squamish and Sasquatch, like at the end of January. Oh well.

So, I got bored and did this. Let's talk about Pemberton and Northwest festivals in general, shall we? "Possible" is in most cases based on still-available tour gaps, or at least being somewhat active, and a lack of playing the Vancouver area recently.

Possible for Pemberton (but also for Sasquatch or Squamish in many cases depending on genre or if they played the Gorge last year):

Pixies
    Ratatat
    Drake
    Skrillex/Diplo/Jack U/Major Lazer
    Calvin Harris
    Beach Boys
    Rise Against
    Linkin Park (not my cup of tea but pretty active this summer, skipping Van on Western Canada stint in Feb. and lots of Canadians are fans. Hoping they go to Squamish rather than Pemberton)
    The Kooks (most likely for Sasquatch)
    Banks
    Action Bronson
    Gordon Lightfoot
    Tyga
    Eric Prydz
    Kaskade
    The Weeknd
    Panda Bear
    alt-J (France Jul 12th, Sweden Aug 13th. Decent gap there for some north american fests)
    Run The Jewels: Jul 2nd in Iceland, Aug 7th in Poland. N.A. fest cycle or Euro tour in between?)
    Lorde (not active right now, but hasn't played BC I don't think. Big get, probably not too much money yet.)

Wishful (for some, very, without a chance in hell):

System Of A Down (Please add some NA shows before Rock in Rio?)
    The Boss (hasn't played Vancouver since March 2008, hasn't even played Canada since 2012. Would be a huge get)
    Kanye (Still needs to make up for the Van cancellations)
    Neil Young (Played Van (The Orpheum) Nov 9th/14. Was this part of his small-venue benefit tour still?)
    Wu-Tang Clan (or at least Rae and Ghost Cuban Linx 20th anniversary...which is I'm sure what they're doing at Coachella)
    Pearl Jam
    Björk would enjoy the mountain scenery
    Cloud Nothings
    MMJ
    Clockwork Indigo/Flatbush ZOMBiES/The Underachievers
    The Prodigy
    Jhene Aiko (first ever BC show?)
    Röyksopp
    Faith No More
    Massive Attack
    Common
    The Chemical Brothers
    D'Angelo
    J.Cole
    Disclosure
    Chromeo
    Joey Bada$$
    A$AP Rocky/mob

Out?

War On Drugs: Sun. May 24 - Vancouver, BC @ Vogue Theatre --Likely playing Sasquatch.
    Belle and Sebastian (playing Vogue Theatre, Van April 8th)
    Nickelback (playing Rogers Arena in March, luckily)
    Bryan Adams (played Rogers Arena Jan 14th)
    Avicii (Jul 3rd in Ireland, Jul 31st in Romania. Euro tour in between?)
    Zedd (played BC place Dec 27th)
    Tiësto (played Pacific Coliseum Dec 31st)
    Beck and Jack White played in Deer Lake Park in Burnaby Aug 19th and Aug 28th 2014, respectively. Would they come back that soon?

(I know some of these Euro date ones might not mean a whole lot though, when looking at Above & Beyond's schedule from last year. Planes do exist.)

Out for sure:

Foo Fighters (but look likely for Squamish, playing Edmonton Aug 12th)
    Muse
    U2
    The Who
    Wiz Khalifa
    Caribou (Playing in Czech Republic on Jul 16th, also Norway Aug 12th so no Squamish. Looks good for Sasquatch tho)

Last year had a great mix of rock, hip hop and edm. They lost money, but it was one of the best lineups of last year imo. But, they need some big name acts again to draw in loyalty. I expect a little bit more edm this year seeing as that seemed to be a large part of the crowd and Deadmau5 got the biggest crowd of the weekend, but still a healthy mix of everything else. I also expect lots of Canadian artists again, but I'm not even sure who's touring (and didn't play Squamish last year, which I imagine they'll try to mostly stay away from overlapping with). I can see Alanis, Avril, Billy Talent or Barenaked Ladies on the poster.

Add to my list. Or dismantle it.
    Last edited by rousse; 01-19-2015 at 06:35 PM.

old school

I could see No Doubt and Strokes popping up. Strokes haven't done Western Canada since 2004 and North of California since 2006. Lana Del Rey is a curveball if she's not doing Sasquatch.

Quote Originally Posted by rousse View Post
    Beach Boys
    Gordon Lightfoot
    Lorde (not active right now, but hasn't played BC I don't think. Big get, probably not too much money yet.)
    The Boss (hasn't played Vancouver since March 2008, hasn't even played Canada since 2012. Would be a huge get)
    Neil Young (Played Van (The Orpheum) Nov 9th/14. Was this part of his small-venue benefit tour still?)
    Wu-Tang Clan
    Röyksopp
    The Chemical Brothers
    D'Angelo
    Neil was 3-4 songs solo acoustic. Crazy Horse would be awesome.
    BB and Lightfoot I can't see happening though i've seen both a couple times.
    Don't think Royksopp/Prydz/D'Angelo/Lorde have ever played Western Canada and possibly not the PNW. Don't think the Chems have been up here since 2000/2001.
    Wu-Tang sucked in Vancouver AND Bumbershoot last year.
    Springsteen played Vancouver in November 2012.

Working on that #PembyFest lineup! Thanks for the time to make it epic.

Who knows what that means, but they're probably not super close. I was hoping they'd put theirs out before Squamish and Sasquatch, like at the end of January. Oh well.

So, I got bored and did this. Let's talk about Pemberton and Northwest festivals in general, shall we? "Possible" is in most cases based on still-available tour gaps, or at least being somewhat active, and a lack of playing the Vancouver area recently.

Possible for Pemberton (but also for Sasquatch or Squamish in many cases depending on genre or if they played the Gorge last year):

Pixies
    Ratatat
    Drake
    Skrillex/Diplo/Jack U/Major Lazer
    Calvin Harris
    Beach Boys
    Rise Against
    Linkin Park (not my cup of tea but pretty active this summer, skipping Van on Western Canada stint in Feb. and lots of Canadians are fans. Hoping they go to Squamish rather than Pemberton)
    The Kooks (most likely for Sasquatch)
    Banks
    Action Bronson
    Gordon Lightfoot
    Tyga
    Eric Prydz
    Kaskade
    The Weeknd
    Panda Bear
    alt-J (France Jul 12th, Sweden Aug 13th. Decent gap there for some north american fests)
    Run The Jewels: Jul 2nd in Iceland, Aug 7th in Poland. N.A. fest cycle or Euro tour in between?)

Wishful (for some, very, without a chance in hell):

System Of A Down (Please add some NA shows before Rock in Rio?)
    Wu-Tang Clan (or at least Rae and Ghost Cuban Linx 20th anniversary...which is I'm sure what they're doing at Coachella)
    Pearl Jam
    Björk would enjoy the mountain scenery
    Cloud Nothings
    MMJ
    Clockwork Indigo/Flatbush ZOMBiES/The Underachievers
    The Prodigy
    Jhene Aiko (first ever BC show?)
    Röyksopp
    Faith No More
    Massive Attack
    Common
    The Chemical Brothers
    D'Angelo
    J.Cole
    Disclosure
    Chromeo
    Joey Bada$$
    A$AP Rocky/mob

Out?

War On Drugs: Sun. May 24 - Vancouver, BC @ Vogue Theatre --Likely playing Sasquatch.
    Belle and Sebastian (playing Vogue Theatre, Van April 8th)
    Nickelback (playing Rogers Arena in March, luckily)
    Bryan Adams (played Rogers Arena Jan 14th)
    Avicii (Jul 3rd in Ireland, Jul 31st in Romania. Euro tour in between?)
    Zedd (played BC place Dec 27th)
    Tiësto (played Pacific Coliseum Dec 31st)
    Beck and Jack White played in Deer Lake Park in Burnaby Aug 19th and Aug 28th 2014, respectively. Would they come back that soon?

(I know some of these Euro date ones might not mean a whole lot though, when looking at Above & Beyond's schedule from last year. Planes do exist.)

Out for sure:

Foo Fighters (but look likely for Squamish, playing Edmonton Aug 12th)
    Muse
    U2
    The Who
    Wiz Khalifa
    Caribou (Playing in Czech Republic on Jul 16th, also Norway Aug 12th so no Squamish. Looks good for Sasquatch tho)

Last year had a great mix of rock, hip hop and edm. They lost money, but it was one of the best lineups of last year imo. But, they need some big name acts again to draw in loyalty. I expect a little bit more edm this year seeing as that seemed to be a large part of the crowd and Deadmau5 got the biggest crowd of the weekend, but still a healthy mix of everything else. I also expect lots of Canadian artists again, but I'm not even sure who's touring (and didn't play Squamish last year, which I imagine they'll try to mostly stay away from overlapping with). I can see Alanis, Avril, Billy Talent or Barenaked Ladies on the poster.

Add to my list. Or dismantle it.
    Foo fighters play in Van Sept. 12. Not sure that still makes them likely for squamish. Although they have the dates open and will be close to the area for squamish, so who knows

Thanks for doing that, I like your wishful list.

I've pretty much resigned myself that the lineup won't be as good as last year, because no festival has been that great so far. I just hope they don't totally switch concepts and book Drake and Calvin Harris to try to sell tickets.

old school

Don't think he'd like being overshadowed by a mountain.

I can't pull a pair for the Foo Fighters show in Vancouver right now, so Live Nation may be game for them playing Squamish.

There's an unwritten rule about 1 Canadian acts as sub or headliner. Deadmaus and Arcade Fire last year.

Quote Originally Posted by davers View Post
    Thanks for doing that, I like your wishful list.

I've pretty much resigned myself that the lineup won't be as good as last year, because no festival has been that great so far. I just hope they don't totally switch concepts and book Drake and Calvin Harris to try to sell tickets.
    Thanks! Logically this lineup should be just as weak as the rest of this year's lineups but for some reason I think these guys are gonna have a real good one. They can't skimp too much or they'll fold to the competition

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    There's an unwritten rule about 1 Canadian acts as sub or headliner. Deadmaus and Arcade Fire last year.
    Except for Osheaga, which seems to do whatever the hell it wants. Last year's highest Canadian act was on the 5th line, 4th line in 2013. Pemberton has a while to go before they're on that level though. I figure Chromeo and Weeknd are the most likely high-billed Canadians unless they go for Drake or Neil. Please go for Neil.

I'll be really interested to see what the headliners are this year. Foo Fighters and Muse (my two predictions going into this festival season) are both out, and it doesn't seem like any acts are playing all the festivals the way Outkast did last year. I could easily see Drake taking the Saturday slot like deadmau5 did last year, and frankly I'd be fine with that; the guy has at least two really great albums under his belt, and he seems to put some effort into his live shows. I'd love The Strokes to grab one of the other 2 headliner placements, though I don't know how feasible that is considering that they haven't been in Canada for years.

Other than those two, I'm not really sure. Jack White is a possibility, though he did just do a show here a few months ago. Same with The Black Keys, though they seem like more of a Squamish act. If Kanye starts showing up on some lineups he could be an option, and he'd be a pretty big get after he cancelled his Vancouver stop last tour. Neil Young would be a really interesting pick, though I don't know if he has quite the live pull to be a headliner; still I'd love it if he showed up on the bill.

As for the undercard, I'm hoping for some combination of Tame Impala, Bjork, D'Angelo, Father John Misty, Run the Jewels, Freddie Gibbs, Noel Gallagher, Interpol, Kasabian, Florence + The Machine, Swans, and maybe Lana Del Rey to show up. All of them are on the touring circuit right now, and I don't think any of them have conflicting dates. Of course, I'm not expecting all of them (not by a long shot), but if a handful made appearances I'd be happy.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by TheMTA View Post
    I'll be really interested to see what the headliners are this year. Foo Fighters and Muse (my two predictions going into this festival season) are both out, and it doesn't seem like any acts are playing all the festivals the way Outkast did last year. I could easily see Drake taking the Saturday slot like deadmau5 did last year, and frankly I'd be fine with that; the guy has at least two really great albums under his belt, and he seems to put some effort into his live shows. I'd love The Strokes to grab one of the other 2 headliner placements, though I don't know how feasible that is considering that they haven't been in Canada for years.

Other than those two, I'm not really sure. Jack White is a possibility, though he did just do a show here a few months ago. Same with The Black Keys, though they seem like more of a Squamish act. If Kanye starts showing up on some lineups he could be an option, and he'd be a pretty big get after he cancelled his Vancouver stop last tour. Neil Young would be a really interesting pick, though I don't know if he has quite the live pull to be a headliner; still I'd love it if he showed up on the bill.

As for the undercard, I'm hoping for some combination of Tame Impala, Bjork, D'Angelo, Father John Misty, Run the Jewels, Freddie Gibbs, Noel Gallagher, Interpol, Kasabian, Florence + The Machine, Swans, and maybe Lana Del Rey to show up. All of them are on the touring circuit right now, and I don't think any of them have conflicting dates. Of course, I'm not expecting all of them (not by a long shot), but if a handful made appearances I'd be happy.
    Foos are out. Muse in in France less than a week before.

Jack White is good as a headliner as it would have been 11 months between BC appearances, especially if it's an exclusive North of California.

I want a full Noel set which I think he will do Sasquatch weekend in Vancouver, unless Pemberton can give him 75 minutes.

Kanye cancelled twice here in a month(including Halloween) and once in 2009 or 2010. IMO, fans are still pissed.

Neil Young filled his last 2 Arena shows in Vancouver, plus played to a sold out 9,000 people for a 60 minute outdoor acoustic charity set in 2009. Solid headliner for Squamish or Pemberton.

Bjork has only played the Northwest 4 times in her solo career and Western Canada only ONCE. Portland 95/Seattle 02/Vancouver 07 /Sasquatch 07. Not a big/young enough following here. Plus the Vancouver show in 2007 felt like an off night for me, even though she apparently blew Arcade Fire off the stage 2 nights late @ Sasquatch.

Yeah, I'd like Jack White, particularly since I didn't get to see his Deer Lake Park show. If Pemberton keeps to the same long set times that they had last year, Gallagher shouldn't have a problem nabbing a full set, though that's entirely dependent on how many acts they get this year.

Didn't know about Neil Young; in that case, I'd love him as a headliner.

Figured I'd toss out a bit of an update here:

-Caribou, while still scheduled for Czech Republic/Ireland on Pemberton weekend, just got announced for Pitchfork Sunday the 19th. Obviously those Euro dates aren't happening, so there's a very real possibility for him/them on Friday the 17th. Also Wilco, Mac DeMarco, Ought, CHVRCHES, Panda Bear, and Run the Jewels are now more likely it seems, since it's pretty much guaranteed they'll be in North America that weekend. Most likely to me are Mac and Ought to help fill out the Canadian requirements

-Father John Misty, Kygo and Milky chance are also in North America around that time based on Osheaga's 10 acts announced. Interpol has a lovely gap between a Toronto show Jul 15th and Portland Maine July 20th, but it'd be sort of funny for them to hit up one quick show on the West coast before going right back... The Avett Brothers, meanwhile, are the closest thing to a lock I think based on playing Red Rocks July 10th-12th and Osheaga around the 31st, with no dates between yet.

-Sam Smith, MMJ, Portugal. The Man, etc. are highly unlikely based on playing Forecastle. Though OutKast played both last year, they played everywhere and were a freak occurrence I think. Chicago to BC is easier than Kentucky to BC

-Other people out for sure based on Pitchfork's Saturday lineup are Sleater-Kinney, Future Islands, Todd Terje & The Olsens, Kurt Vile, Parquet Courts, Ariel Pink, Vic Mensa, A$AP Ferg, and Ex Hex.

-Rush are most definitely out, playing Rogers Arena on the 17th, Seattle on the 19th

Also, SOAD playing Amnesia Rockfest is super awesome and makes me hopeful they play Pemberton too. Or maybe a full North American summer tour please?

Lurker

Aerosmith looks likely based on Kelowna on the 13th and Victoria on the 16th. http://www.aerosmith.com/tour

Will be interesting to see if they are headliner worthy for this crowd. I suppose we'll see them top line though.

If Aerosmith played then they'd definitely have to be top line, though they wouldn't exactly be my first choice for headliner.

Father John Misty and Mac DeMarco both have Vancouver shows relatively close to the festival if I remember correctly, which might put them out of the running, but I don't know what the rules are like for lower-tiered artists. Other than that, I'd love to see Panda Bear, Run the Jewels, Interpol, and Wilco, and all seem like they could do it. Out of the rest of Pitchfork's Saturday, I'd also love to have Future Islands, Todd Terge, Kurt Vile, and Ariel Pink.

Also, in regards to Sam Smith, it seems like he might be playing Squamish based on a recent Facebook post they made. So, he's even more out of the running than he used to be, I suppose.

As an aside, Squamish has just announced that their line-up is coming out this Thursday. So, at the very least we'll be able to knock a few names out of the running for Pemberton this year.