Page 1 of 14 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuji Rock Festival 2015

Default Fuji Rock Festival 2015

July 24, 25, and 26. Of next year of course.

Make what you will of this unusually early announcement.

Default Re: Fuji Rock Festival 2015

Whoa, this got off to an early start!

We've actually been talking about a return to Fuji, next year might be it if we can get organised early enough to book somewhere closer than where we stayed in 2012.

Now I gotta figure out how to book a ryuken room real quick before it gets filled up. Anyone got tips on the best place to stay that's within a reasonable distance to the festival grounds?
    Kodaline @ Granada Theatre 4/30 | |The Soft Moon @ Club Dada 5/6 | Danny Tenaglia 5/16 @ It'll Do | Nicole Moudaber @ It'll Do 5/23 | The Rentals @ Club Dada 5/29 | Sasha @ Kingdom 6/13 | John Digweed @ It'll Do 6/20 | DJ Pierre @ It'll Do 7/11 | Hard Summer 2015 8/1 | Sonic Mania 8/14 | Summer Sonic Tokyo 8/15 & 8/16 |

This link might help. The festival site is to the right of the map, and I think most of the inns are within walking distance. I don't know how many of them have people who can respond to English inquiries though. Plus, this being the first time ever that the dates are announced so early, I have no idea what policies they have regarding when they start accepting reservations.

You can also try this one for a list of places that are supposedly foreigner friendly and are therefore more likely to reply in English as this is the biggest issue for booking somewhere to stay. Some might not even be open for Fuji as everything in the town appears to be geared for the winter ski season. I think I tried them all in 2012 and the only ones that replied were Lodge Kashiwagi and The Kinta. We ended up at Lodge Kashiwagi as they were fairly prompt to reply so we locked them in but they are fairly basic and at the far end of town so the long drunken walk home up the hill wasn't the best way to end the day!

As Blue Stapler said they might not be prepared to take bookings this early as they normally don't announce the dates until the beginning of the year. No idea how you get into the Naeba Prince as rooms never seem to be available for that weekend, I think they must block them out for artists, Fuji staff and for Fuji Rock tour packages for locals. Anyway, good luck!

Addressing some posts that were made in the 2014 thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotek View Post
    I went ahead and found a place in Minakami called Tenjin Lodge. As of yesterday there are still a few rooms available so you may be able to snag a room for yourself and your husband. The owner of the lodge is an Aussie so for English speakers like yourself and I it is a godsend. The lodge is conveniently located just a 5 minute walk away from a train station. I emailed the owner and he is luckily offering shuttles to the festival for Y1000 one way or you can walk to the train station that takes you to Echigo Yuzawa where you can catch a free shuttle to the festival grounds. That's Y500 for the train ticket. I'm most likely going to take him up on the offer on the shuttle going back to the lodging from the festival since it's evidently an uphill walk from the Doai station to the lodge (which I'm not willing to do after a whole day's worth of dancing), while I'll just walk to the station and take the free shuttle for some exercise in the day.
    Have you checked to make sure that the shuttle services are available late into the night? Taking the train might be okay for going to the festival, but that option is ABSOLUTELY out of the question when returning to the lodge. The trains don't run 24/7, and the last train out of Echigo Yuzawa most definitely will have left by the time you're ready to call it a night.

Quote Originally Posted by aliceb View Post
    does anyone know from past experience when information on tickets incl. lodging (especially the prices) are usually released?
    Looking back through the 2014 thread, it looks like I posted this on January 30, so I guess late January for ticket info.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Stapler View Post
    So, price hike.

Because, you know, tickets weren't expensive enough before.
    Was the official lodging info released at the same time? I think so, but I'm not sure. But most people I know don't take the official route and just book the reservations on their own.

And Ride has to be a sure bet for Fuji, right? Right? Smash has been so good to Andy Bell. Green Stage sub-headliner, please.

I'll check with him if the shuttle is available late into the night to be 100% sure, thanks for the heads up.
    Kodaline @ Granada Theatre 4/30 | |The Soft Moon @ Club Dada 5/6 | Danny Tenaglia 5/16 @ It'll Do | Nicole Moudaber @ It'll Do 5/23 | The Rentals @ Club Dada 5/29 | Sasha @ Kingdom 6/13 | John Digweed @ It'll Do 6/20 | DJ Pierre @ It'll Do 7/11 | Hard Summer 2015 8/1 | Sonic Mania 8/14 | Summer Sonic Tokyo 8/15 & 8/16 |

And Ride has to be a sure bet for Fuji, right? Right?
    I really hope you're right on this one as I think we're about to lock in a return to Fuji. If they ever made it to Oz they'd probably skip Perth so would be very excited if they are on the line up.

Hope The Chemical Brothers live show will be present this year!

I see they've started releasing some festival dates for next year with a new album and live show coming too, Don't Think shows they have a fondness for Fuji so here's hoping they'll be back!

You mean The Chemical Brother.

^hahaha touché, but one can always hope for exceptions!

sorry for not 'replying' earlier (on the 2014 topic) - just too busy. well, our (my friend's and mine) trip to Japan is fully booked, but we reserved most hotels only, so everything could be changed in case of a line up that is really not interesting to us at all. but we plan on going all three days and as stated, reserved a room at Tenjin Lodge - so, Electrotek, if you find about about shuttle/train times etc. it would be great if you let me know - of course I can also try to find out!

If there is an option to buy tickets including accommodation closer and still at least somehow affordable, we might be willing to pay the price, but I was told from a friend who is from Tokyo that it's not easy (=close to impossible) - anyone ever tried or has more information? Still had no time to read through the older threads so I am really sorry if that question has been asked too often already!

Hey aliceb,

We looked into the ticket/accommodation package option in 2012 but it just seemed way too hard, in the end we concluded that it wasn't really open to overseas visitors. You'll find that the overwhelming majority of attendees are Japanese so they don't really cater to foreigners as other big festivals do but that makes the effort of getting there all the more rewarding! Anyway, someone else might have more recent info about packages but from having another quick look it still doesn't seem like it is possible.

One thing to note about Fuji is that is spread out along a valley with a bit of trekking on rough ground required to get between the stages so I know by the end of the day we were really tired (the beers didn't help and I probably am getting too old for this!) so the thought of waiting around for shuttles/trains isn't something that appeals to me so I'd recommend trying to get somewhere in town, the festival also goes into the early hours and I’m sure the shuttles and trains would have stopped well before that. Having just said that booking somewhere in town is also a mission. A few weeks ago I emailed everyone on the Naeba Tourism website's list of 'international friendly' places and only two replied. Azumaya Lodge said they were already full and Lodge Kashiwagi said they have rooms so we've reserved with them. We also happened to stay with them in 2012 so I'll put in some disclaimers that the rooms are basic (you'll be in a Japanese style room with tatami mats on the floor for sleeping but we didn't have a problem with that) and shared showers and hot tub (separate men and women of course). But for 6700 yen per night per person you can't expect too much! It is also a bit of a walk from the festival site but then again most things are so an extra bit of walking wasn't a big deal. Anyway, might be worth emailing all those places again as I might've got them on a day when English speaking staff weren't on duty, maybe your contact in Tokyo might be able to try some of the non-English speaking places for you (there are a lot more of these).

By the way Listenup did you find that other hotel you were asking about or are you resigned to Lodge Kashiwagi again?

Cheers
    Al

Smash released the information for the early-bird tickets today, which you can start applying for on January 10. Not sure if it's available for those who don't have Japanese addresses though.They also posted a 30-second video to advertise the festival. My thoughts on watching it were "uh, that was pretty pointless" but I suppose they needed to remind people!

So you guys know that the Japanese yen is seriously getting its ass kicked right now, right? Yeah, I don't like what this means for Smash's ability to book international talent either. But on the bright side, everything will be cheaper for you guys when you come to Japan. (Unless the yen rises like phoenix before then.)

Yeah, okay, so I completely missed this yesterday, but it looks like the shuttle bus from Echigo Yuzawa to the festival site, previously free, will now cost 500 JPY. However, they've lowered the ticket price, so even if you use the shuttle everyday, it will be a net saving (and obviously, you'll save even more if you camp or stay at an inn in Naeba).

Any new information out?

Hola amigos....

Funnily enough, I didn't even notice they'd posted the 2015 dates right after the festival. Guess my blood was so poisoned, I opted out of all things Fuji for a while.

To people asking about getting accommodation, I've always done everything separately -- flight, ticket, lodge, train, etc. There may be smarter ways of doing it.

Getting hotels from overseas can be a bit tricky because of the language thing, the not-in-Japan thing, etc. I've found a couple that I typically go back to. Last three years it's been Lodge OKA, which is in the "dark blue dot" area of that map Stapler linked to. I'd call it a 15- to 20-minute walk from the front gate.

Wherever you choose to look at, they probably don't speak English. So I use an "email-and-Google Translate" approach. I write a simple form email in English, then find the email addresses of the places I'm interested in (again using that map, hover your mouse over the dots and the website link should come up) and carpet-bomb. The year Radiohead played, we perilously left it to the last minute and all accommodation across Naeba got booked up. In a panic, I hit up about 40 places via email. Only a handful responded, pretty much all in Japanese. I ran all their responses through Google Translate, and they all said "sorry" in one way or another -- except for one, who said he could set up a fabricated shed in his parking lot for us. Score! We negotiated the whole thing using Google Translate, me writing in English and him in Japanese. It was the same story (minus the shed) for 2013 and 2014 -- I email them in English saying "we're coming back" and they say "cool" in Japanese.

If you can, try and get a lodge in Naeba. Echigo-Yuzawa and its environs is a 40-min bus ride away. In Naeba you'll never be more than a 20-min walk from the main gate.

Ride would be cool. Radiohead has a new one coming out, but I'm assuming there's no chance they'll come back so soon. Other new albums/ reunions include Tool (I'm guessing they're too un-Fuji-ish), Sleater-Kinney and muthafuckin' FAITH NO MORE.

Not sure what I'm getting so pumped up for, though. This may be the first year I really can't make it.

Hey Gweilo, good idea about using Google translate to email lodges, although I've found it can mangle the translation between English and Japanese so would definitely be best to keep it simple.

Quote Originally Posted by gweilo View Post
    If you can, try and get a lodge in Naeba. Echigo-Yuzawa and its environs is a 40-min bus ride away. In Naeba you'll never be more than a 20-min walk from the main gate.
    Definitely this, plus the bus pickup/drop off point itself is a 10 minute walk from the main gate so even though we're staying in one of the furthest away lodges (Lodge Kashiwagi, the red dot sitting by itself on the winding road that crosses the stream on Blue Stapler's map) it is really only another 10 minutes from there. Obviously better to start contacting places asap as no doubt they will start filling up (if they haven't already) once tickets go on sale and the real line-up speculation starts.

Finally. I wasn't able to log in here for quite some days.

Thanks for all the tips, a friend who lives in Japan offered to help me find accommodation, as soon as I have any info I will let you know as it might help others too.

She already told me that registration for the first round of tickets is for Japanese only, well, without a line up I don't mind that much, but what I would like to know, if you buy tickets - do they state your name? will you need an ID? Or could she buy tickets for me and give them to me once I am in Tokyo? Any experience so far if that works, or if you have to buy the tickets yourself?

This may be the first year I really can't make it.
    Oh man, that's a shame Well, for your sake, I hope that the lineup this year will feature all those acts that I want to see but you don't. Like, I don't know, Rick Astley? But I shouldn't presume - maybe "Together Forever" is the song that gets you going every morning.

Quote Originally Posted by aliceb View Post
    She already told me that registration for the first round of tickets is for Japanese only
    Just to make Smash sound a little less racist, I think it's more that you have to be a resident of Japan, and it doesn't matter what nationality you are as long as you live here. In Smash's defense, the early bird tickets are handled by the major Japanese ticket agencies (E Plus and Lawson) who probably aren't equipped to handle overseas customers. They actually mail the early bird tickets to you, which can be a problem if you live outside the country.

Anyway, to answer your question, tickets that were purchased in Japan can and very often do change hands with impunity. No names are printed, and no ID is required, so no, it won't be a problem at all for your friend to buy your tickets for you and then hand them to you. Assuming that she buys them in Japan - things might be different for people who buy their tickets from overseas.

^In that case I'll have to hit up my Japanese friend to snag me a pass then. How much is early bird anyways?

Early bird is 34,800 JPY for three days, not including camping and parking. If you want a camping ticket to go with it (which I know you don't, Elektrotek, but there might be people reading this who will), then add 3,000 JPY to that. The parking ticket will cost a further 9,000 JPY. Plus, they charge all sorts of stupid additional fees, which, best as I can recall, add up to like a 1,000 JPY or thereabouts, so be sure to factor that in as well.

The application period ends this Sunday, January 18, Japan time, so if you're going to apply you should probably do it pretty quickly (speaking of which, I need to get on it). Your friend will need to create an account with E Plus and/or Lawson if he/she doesn't have one already. Bear in mind that demand will exceed supply, so just because you've submitted an order doesn't mean you'll get it. You'll just have to trust to luck, and they'll let you know later this month whether or not you were successful. The general consensus is that ordering the parking ticket along with the early bird ticket will worsen your odds.

Single-day tickets won't be available until they go on general sale.

I hope this helps!

Oh man, that's a shame Well, for your sake, I hope that the lineup this year will feature all those acts that I want to see but you don't. Like, I don't know, Rick Astley?
    Can I read this to mean you want Rick Astley at Fuji?

Has anyone ever tried both camping and hotel/lodge? This is my first year at Fuji Rock and I don't even know where to start. It sounds like it's really difficult to get a hotel near the festival but I'd rather stay at a hotel than camp. How was camping like?

Getting hotels from overseas can be a bit tricky because of the language thing, the not-in-Japan thing, etc. I've found a couple that I typically go back to. Last three years it's been Lodge OKA, which is in the "dark blue dot" area of that map Stapler linked to. I'd call it a 15- to 20-minute walk from the front gate.
    Lodge OKA is already booked!!

Beef Jerky, we haven't camped but from what we saw you're on the side of a hill and you'll more than likely get rained on so certainly not a nice flat and dry Coachella polo field. And we saw quite a few people bathing in the nearby stream so the shower facilities, etc. can't be all that great. I don't mind camping but not my idea of fun at this fest.

Try Lodge Kashiwagi as being at the far end of the town they might still have rooms (we booked last month without a problem) and they will reply in English. It is fairly basic but quiet, clean and a reasonable place to put your head down at the end of the day and that's all we really need. Note that they expect you to book for 4 nights (arriving Thursday) but we're doing that anyway so we can settle in before the action starts on the Friday. Also, on the Thursday night there is some pre-fest entertainment inside the main entrance including a couple of bands playing at the Red Marquee, plus the main food stalls are open so a nice way to ease into the fest.

Quote Originally Posted by Al & Mel View Post
    Beef Jerky, we haven't camped but from what we saw you're on the side of a hill and you'll more than likely get rained on so certainly not a nice flat and dry Coachella polo field. And we saw quite a few people bathing in the nearby stream so the shower facilities, etc. can't be all that great. I don't mind camping but not my idea of fun at this fest.

Try Lodge Kashiwagi as being at the far end of the town they might still have rooms (we booked last month without a problem) and they will reply in English. It is fairly basic but quiet, clean and a reasonable place to put your head down at the end of the day and that's all we really need. Note that they expect you to book for 4 nights (arriving Thursday) but we're doing that anyway so we can settle in before the action starts on the Friday. Also, on the Thursday night there is some pre-fest entertainment inside the main entrance including a couple of bands playing at the Red Marquee, plus the main food stalls are open so a nice way to ease into the fest.
    Thanks that's really helpful. I'm Japanese and can speak Japanese so I have that advantage.
    I tried to book Lodge Kashiwagi but they were already booked I got a room at Wada Lodge Thursday - Monday.. hopefully it's not too difficult getting to the festival and back.

Who is down to party with Beef Jerky and I? P.S. Beef Jerky speaks Japanese (lol, i almost wrote japanish), so she may be able to help you guys with translation.

OUTKAST

Wish List:
    Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Mr. Scruff, Moby (Live), Moloko,

COACHELLA 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

I camped and yes it was wet and I was a day late so I camped on the side of a hill but good god how much fun I had.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.