Thread: Desert Daze 2015

Default Desert Daze 2015

FINAL UPDATE? (April 30th):

Here is the lineup ladies and gents!

4fbcf338fe374a34b54ab670125419f5.image!png.336374.png.dd_15_insta.png.jpg

Warpaint
    Failure
    RJD2
    Minus The Bear (performing They Make Beer Commercials Like This)
    Dan Deacon
    Chelsea Wolfe
    DIIV
    Psychic Ills
    Deap Vally
    Bass Drum of Death
    Mystic Braves
    White Lung
    Vetiver
    Mini Mansions
    Follakzoid
    Fatso Jetson (just added)
    Levitation Room (just added)
    Mr. Elevator & The Brain Hotel
    Plague Vendor
    The Farmer Dave Expansion
    Fever the Ghost
    Gap Dream
    Zig Zags
    Carlos Nino & Friends featuring Luis Perez and Christopher Garcia
    JJUUJJUU
    LA Witch
    Wyatt Blair
    Dagha Bloom
    Kim & The Created
    Feels
    Girl Tears
    Dirt Dress
    Slipping Into Darkness
    Jesus Sons
    War Drum
    Wild Wild Wets
    Burning Palms
    Flying Hair
    Runson Willis & The Ill's
    Pearl Charles
    JM Roberts
    The Jive Joint w/Supertall Paul Rossomei

Canceled:

Teebs (with live band)
    Sister Crayon
    The Budos Band

Tickets are on sale now, check it:

http://desertdaze.org/
    http://instagram.com/moonblockparty/?modal=true
    Last edited by tycobb667; 04-30-2015 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Updated Lineup!

Default Re: Desert Daze 2015

It's going to be amazing. I am still bummed I missed last year and will not make that same mistake this year.

Has anyone here ever been? Would love to hear about the vibe, crowd, logistics, etc.
    Last edited by Boourns; 02-18-2015 at 02:13 PM.
    4/9 Operators @ Bootleg, 4/14 Lush @ Roxy, 4/20 Bat for Lashes @ The Cathedral Sanctuary, 4/22-24 Coachella, 5/21 Jennylee @ Getty, 6/1-5 Primavera Sound, 6/7-8 Chelsea Wolfe @ Teragram Ballroom, 8/4 Radiohead @ Shrine Auditorium, 8/27-28 FYF Fest

I went last year and had an amazing time...It was a group of 4 of us, and we camped out in a dry lake bed just outside the festival stages...We got there around noon and pitched up our tent and the partying then commenced! The festival is very low-key and chill, which was what we were hoping to expect from a smaller DIY music fest...They had about 7 food trucks there, a full main-bar in between the two bigger stages, and a merchant area near the entrance...I think our tix ended up costing about $45 a pop (including camping), since we bought them during the early bird/pre-sale.

They had a total of 3 stages, and the music started at like 1:30 and ended at 2 in the morning! Some of the highlights for us was seeing LA Witch, Church of Sun, Deap Vally, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Allah-las, DIIV, Mystic Braves, and The Raveonettes...Anyways it was about as much music and partying u could cram into one day/night. We plan to go again this year, even with Moon Block bungling-up the lineup/ticket sale announcement thus far haha

It'll be worth it

Thanks for the info. Sounds like exactly what I need. How many people does it hold?
    4/9 Operators @ Bootleg, 4/14 Lush @ Roxy, 4/20 Bat for Lashes @ The Cathedral Sanctuary, 4/22-24 Coachella, 5/21 Jennylee @ Getty, 6/1-5 Primavera Sound, 6/7-8 Chelsea Wolfe @ Teragram Ballroom, 8/4 Radiohead @ Shrine Auditorium, 8/27-28 FYF Fest

I was going to go last year but ended up watching SMD at Pappy & Harriet's instead. If the line up is as good as last years and Moon Block Party, I'm there this year. Also, according to their FB page, tickets and line up go up Feb 23. They also confirmed it will be at Sunset Ranch Oasis again.
    Last edited by ficklecycle; 02-18-2015 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    It'll be worth it

Thanks for the info. Sounds like exactly what I need. How many people does it hold?
    Well I'm not sure on the permitted capacity (since I don't believe it sold out), but it looked like there was no more than 2,500-3,000 people there...So again, it's a very small-intimate festival...

Fickle - Good looking out...I just saw the announcement as well...I acutally prodded them about the "never-ending lineup announcement delay" fiasco, and that's when they then proceeded to list Monday Feb. 23rd at 10:00 a.m. PST as the announcement time. Hopefully they had their delays because of minor issues and not because a headliner backed out!

Dan Deacon is playing LA that weekend. Coincidence?

Lineup and ticket sale on monday 10am
    Coachella Weekend 1 & 2

Dan Deacon is playing LA that weekend. Coincidence?
    Dan Deacon would be an awesome inclusion! Since he's playing LA that Friday, there definitely is a chance...

How bad is the dust and wind? The ground looks pretty fucked from the instagrams I've seen. I really don't want to get sick and fly to Austin 4 days later, but I also cannot bring myself to miss this one.

So here's hoping my plan of never taking my dust mask off and taking every possibly beneficial medication before, during, and after works.

So no early bird tickets this time? Or did that already happen?

Nope, no early bird tickets this time around...Last year tickets went on sale in mid-January I believe, but they also released 11 of the 32 (or so) musical acts prior to the early ticket sale commencing. So they didn't follow that timeline at all this year, since none of the acts have been confirmed yet and tix are barely going on sale this Monday. But it's no big deal, i'm sure they will have a solid lineup again!

Anyways last year the dust wasn't bad at all, although I was worried because it was very windy on the highway to Mecca...The ranch is very sandy and vehicles kick up a shit load of dirt/dust, but it didn't stir up my allergies thankfully (and they get real bad at times!)...I just popped a claritin that morning and I was good to go! The winds picked up in the evening, but it didn't get in the way of us and the crowd enjoying the performances...

Okay, that's reassuring. Thanks!

WOW. This is even better and crazier than I expected.

Added the show poster above with the lineup! Crazy cool bill right?

The bill is solid(besides dumb ass Warpaint) but for 60 dollars, I'd rather go elsewhere. They have shit sound at this festival but everything else is absolutely great about this festival.

EDIT-how the hell is this 60 after fees? Most of these bands play free of 5 dollar shows in LA/SD/OC area constantly? I mean wtf is going on with festivals and over charging? I don't see this one selling well.

Go fuck yourself. They're the best band around these days.

$60 is cheap considering there are four dozen acts playing. Wow, that's a lot more than last year. That means more conflicts.

Got the word about Warpaint last week, but wasn't expecting Failure, RJD2, and Chelsea Wolfe. Very nice surprises, especially since I couldn't get a ticket for Failure's el Rey show last year.

A couple acts I've recently been digging: Follakzoid and LA Witch. Some solid crossover with Levitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sushov23 View Post
    The bill is solid(besides dumb ass Warpaint) but for 60 dollars, I'd rather go elsewhere. They have shit sound at this festival but everything else is absolutely great about this festival.

EDIT-how the hell is this 60 after fees? Most of these bands play free of 5 dollar shows in LA/SD/OC area constantly? I mean wtf is going on with festivals and over charging? I don't see this one selling well.
    Considering that most of the major 3-day fests run north of $250 nowadays in the U.S., dishing out $60 for a 1-day fest with 40+ bands isn't bad at all...And if is expensive for u, well then it sucks to be u dude..

To me it's a good mix of bands that have played previous years plus some new blood...Stoked that Failure is on the bill, I too haven't had the chance to see them live since they've returned...Other acts I'm looking forward to are Warpaint, Minus the Bear, RJD2, The Budos Band, Chelsea Wolfe, Dan Deacon, Deap Vally, LA Witch, Mystic Braves, and Mini Mansions...
    Last edited by tycobb667; 02-23-2015 at 10:51 AM.

Yeah, especially with Sasquatch costing $500 for a 4 day pass with camping.

I wish this was a 2 day event, because there are so many acts. I want to see just as many, if not more, names on this lineup as I do most of the major 3-4 day events.
    Last edited by Boourns; 02-23-2015 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tycobb667 View Post
    Considering that most of the major 3-day fests run north of $250 nowadays in the U.S., dishing out $60 for a 1-day fest with 40+ bands isn't bad at all...And if is expensive for u, well then it sucks to be u dude..

To me it's a good mix of bands that have played previous years plus some new blood...Stoked that Failure is on the bill, I too haven't had the chance to see them live since they've returned...Other acts I'm looking forward to are Warpaint, Minus the Bear, RJD2, The Budos Band, Chelsea Wolfe, Dan Deacon, Deap Vally, LA Witch, Mystic Braves, and Mini Mansions...
    You've had the chance to see all of these bands in the past year, you're just late is all. It's not that it's too expensive, it's just not worth the investment when you can see about 30 of these bands for free of for less than 10 dollars at a tiny venue. You need to get out more, you've been missing out it seems.

Boourns I know you're a die hard Warpaint fan so I'm gonna just let it go with you. It's not even worth it, I mean just one man's opinion.

For a lineup worth your money look at Burgerama 4. Now that's how it's done!
    Last edited by Sushov23; 02-23-2015 at 11:37 AM.

You've had the chance to see all of these bands in the past year, you're just late is all. It's not that it's too expensive, it's just not worth the investment when you can see about 30 of these bands for free of for less than 10 dollars at a tiny venue. You need to get out more, you've been missing out it seems.

Boourns I know you're a die hard Warpaint fan so I'm gonna just let it go with you. It's not even worth it, I mean just one man's opinion.

For a lineup worth your money look at Burgerama 4. Now that's how it's done!
    Again, I know a lot of these bands play often in SoCal since they're FROM SOCAL...

I get out plenty bub, but during my free time I generally go to gigs for bigger hard rock/alt acts...Plus I don't live in LA/Orange County, so traveling 2-3 hrs to see some of these acts that usually play shows on weekdays is a pain in the ass...So this gives me a chance to see these other groups all in one spot, during the weekend, at a much closer location.
    Last edited by tycobb667; 02-23-2015 at 11:55 AM.

Eh, Burgerama is fine but not worth dealing with the kids of the OC. I'm not sure if anything is, really. And for the record, most of those acts also play LA/OC regularly and cheaply.
    Last edited by Boourns; 02-23-2015 at 12:01 PM.

Eh, Burgerama is fine but not worth dealing with the kids of the OC. I'm not sure if anything is, really.
    I'll take OC kids over LA douchebags any day, at least the kids are into the shows they're watching. To move along, I will say this, Desert Daze had an AMAZING crowd last year, one of the best for something in So Cal in recent years. Don't get me wrong I like the lineup minus Warpaint(sorry Frank), 60 is a lot for the bands playing though. I'm wondering how this will sell. I can see the price point being an issue for many others.

Is a difference of $20-30 or so really going to matter much when considering the costs and logistics involved with going all the way out to Mecca and back, camping, food and drink inside the fest, etc?

This is interesting. I wonder who is going to play this.
    Is there a pre-party?
    The Desert Daze pre-party will take place on Friday, May 1st at Pappy & Harriet’s Pioneertown Palace and feature overnight camping and hotel packages (while supplies last). Check back here, follow us on Facebook, or sign up for our newsletter for the lineup announcement.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I paid more than $30 to see just Failure. This is absolutely worth the ticket price if it's something you want to do.
    last.fm
    5/6/16 - Sunn O))) @ Regent // 5/7/16 - Napalm Death/Melvins/Melt Banana @ Troubadour // 5/25/16 - Twilight Sad @ Teragram Ballroom
    5/27/16 - Dillinger Four @ Echoplex // 5/29/16 - Sumac @ Complex // 6/1/16 - At The Drive In @ Palladium
    8/7/16 - Sufjan Stevens @ Hollywood Bowl // 8/8/16 - Radiohead @ Shrine

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I paid more than $30 to see just Failure. This is absolutely worth the ticket price if it's something you want to do.
    ^ Exactly...The lineup, venue, and vibe of the fest all make it an easy decision for me to throw down the $75 to enjoy the music and camp out at the ranch...

Boourns - I saw that a bit ago too...If the lineup for the pre-party is decent, we'll probably be making our way to Pappy's...Always a chill time up in Pioneertown!

Yup. And I recall those tickets for Failure's El Rey show going for way more on Stubhub, too. So glad I finally get to see them. Tickets for Chelsea Wolfe's last headlining show in LA were $25-45, as well.

I couldn't be happier with this. And then Levitation is the following weekend!

Pappy & Harriet's is great. I'd love to go back.

I'm learning a lot in this thread. OC kids and LA douchbags are mutually exclusive but both detestable.

Soooo...

Looks like Moon Block updated the lineup on Desert Daze's FAQ page. Dagha Bloom is nowhere on the list, but they've added two other groups - Levitation Room and none other than FATSO JETSON! I messaged them to see if the lineup on that page is correct and up-to-date. Hopefully it is, cuz Fatso would be a great addition to the fest.

Fatso Jetson is objectively better than Dagha Bloom. Good switch.

I'm thinking about going to this. Failure is spectacular live and I'd really like to catch Follakzoid.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

How much would it cost you to drive out to a $5 LA show and back to see one of these bands?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****