Page 33 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Outside Lands 2014

Default Re: Outside Lands 2014

Quote Originally Posted by harryoliver View Post
    I think it will be either Bruce or Elton, not both.

I guess they did do the two legend headliners in 2012 with Crazy Horse & Stevie Wonder.

Also I was just reminiscing over how great Stevie Wonder's set was in 2012.
    For me, Springsteen over John, and it isn't even close. Is Elton John really an Outside Lands type performance? I'm not so sure.

Stevie Wonder's set was wonderful - even the completely unrehearsed and totally haphazard versions of Beatles songs.
    Outside Lands 12, 13, 14
    Summer Sonic 05, 06, 07

Heck yea, finally gonna get to see Atmosphere

Check out my concert photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/ameeps/
    December
    3 - alt-J - Pageant

Quote Originally Posted by ameeps View Post
    dont get your hopes too high. Slug is somewhat of a dissapointment
    you are soooooooo good lookin

Quote Originally Posted by SavageHenry101 View Post
    For me, Springsteen over John, and it isn't even close. Is Elton John really an Outside Lands type performance? I'm not so sure.

Stevie Wonder's set was wonderful - even the completely unrehearsed and totally haphazard versions of Beatles songs.
    Yeah, my only complaint about his set was how unprepared it seemed. It didn't really matter because of how much fun it was.

Out of the two years I've gone, it was the most people I've seen dancing at OSL.

Quote Originally Posted by mjryan5 View Post
    I'm refusing to get my hopes up, but what makes you think that? Or are you trolling?
    Not trolling… just putting pieces together. The Kanye rumor isn't super strong, but I do believe OSL wants it's first hip-hop headliner. Bruce has been a strong speculation for quite awhile. Now we are hearing '1st repeat headliner' and PJ seems a strong possibility when we stack up all the headliners(and year they played).
    OSL has been upping their game the past few years, and with Lolla being a flop, I imagine they have a strong lineup.
    Coachella - 2001, 2002, 2004, 2012, 2013 W1, 2014 W1
    ShowBAMS.com

Yeah, my only complaint about his set was how unprepared it seemed. It didn't really matter because of how much fun it was.

Out of the two years I've gone, it was the most people I've seen dancing at OSL.
    See, I'm different. I'm not a dancer and I liked the spontaneity. But yes, that might have been the best atmosphere of the closers that year. Neil Young was full of stoners (myself included) and Sigur Ros (I skipped Metallica) full of college kids making out....
    Outside Lands 12, 13, 14
    Summer Sonic 05, 06, 07

See, I'm different. I'm not a dancer and I liked the spontaneity. But yes, that might have been the best atmosphere of the closers that year. Neil Young was full of stoners (myself included) and Sigur Ros (I skipped Metallica) full of college kids making out....
    I skipped out on Metallica too and saw Sigur Ros by myself. But I got really close because Twin Peaks cleared out after Passion Pitt so I didn't experience the supposedly bad crowd during their show. Probably my second favorite of that weekend.

I skipped out on Metallica too and saw Sigur Ros by myself. But I got really close because Twin Peaks cleared out after Passion Pitt so I didn't experience the supposedly bad crowd during their show. Probably my second favorite of that weekend.
    Yep.

The mist and the dark and the silhouettes... somebody called it magical a few pages ago (may have been you?!) and I couldn't disagree.

Passion Pit really was the wrong band on the wrong stage. I caught the end of that and it was genuinely uncomfortably crowded. Alabama Shakes, as I recall, were also on too small a stage that year.

No such problems - at least in my experience - last year.
    Outside Lands 12, 13, 14
    Summer Sonic 05, 06, 07

Yep.

The mist and the dark and the silhouettes... somebody called it magical a few pages ago (may have been you?!) and I couldn't disagree.

Passion Pit really was the wrong band on the wrong stage. I caught the end of that and it was genuinely uncomfortably crowded. Alabama Shakes, as I recall, were also on too small a stage that year.

No such problems - at least in my experience - last year.
    They put Phoenix on Twin Peaks last year and that was fucking insane.

It was to be expected, but it was easily my least favorite crowd of the two years I've been.

Sigur Ros was amazing, but had one of the worst talkative crowds I have experienced.
    Last edited by Justin170; 03-27-2014 at 01:49 PM.

I know I've said this before, but we are not going to get Kanye and Elton. They wont have two of the Roo headliners the same year as OSL. It would be too much of a cross-over/sameness with Roo and they have never done it historically. They want to make sure OSL has its own identity from Roo. The fact that its a city festival does the majority of that but they also try to have more local Bay Area acts as well.

Personally, I think its going to be Pearl Jam, Kanye or Elton, and The Killers. If we do happen to get Bruce or Petty, then I will be pleasantly surprised. It would be even better if The Killers weren't a top three headliner. Hopefully, we get the line-up middle of next week.

Also, with Lolla crapping the bed this year, I hope that OSL has a great line-up and starts to be discussed as one of the main big festivals and the number one city festival.

I really liked Stevie's set, but I actually wish he played more of his songs and not as many covers.

I watched the entire Metallica set because my wife is a big fan but it was a good show with lots of old classics. Although Hetfield kept saying Hello Frisco! which I thought was a bad word around here.

But you nailed it about getting up close. I finally did this last year, where I wasn't trying to see everything/splitting sets, and I tried to get to sets a little early to get up close. By doing that I barely heard any crowd talk and had a much better time. I mean that Alabama Shakes set was terrible because Sutro was completely packed, it wasn't loud enough, and everyone not in the front were yapping their asses off. So I would highly recommend trying to get to the sets a little early to get close even if it means you miss a couple bands (I missed A-trak and Fishbone last year but it was worth it).

Elton John is definitely an Outside Lands type performance. I would love to see both of them, but for me it's Elton over Bruce just slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by ameeps View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gillster17 View Post
    dont get your hopes too high. Slug is somewhat of a dissapointment
    Atmosphere on Sunday in 2009 on the Twin Peaks stage at like 2pm was awesome. It was damp and overcast and a little breezy and chilly, and we just sat in the grass in the middle and nodded our heads. They were the perfect hangover remedy. One of my most memorable sets from that weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

I think I would have to pick Bruce over Elton.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasoline Groove View Post
    I watched the entire Metallica set because my wife is a big fan but it was a good show with lots of old classics. Although Hetfield kept saying Hello Frisco! which I thought was a bad word around here.

But you nailed it about getting up close. I finally did this last year, where I wasn't trying to see everything/splitting sets, and I tried to get to sets a little early to get up close. By doing that I barely heard any crowd talk and had a much better time. I mean that Alabama Shakes set was terrible because Sutro was completely packed, it wasn't loud enough, and everyone not in the front were yapping their asses off. So I would highly recommend trying to get to the sets a little early to get close even if it means you miss a couple bands (I missed A-trak and Fishbone last year but it was worth it).
    I planned to stay for half of metallicas set just to say that i seen them once then be done with it and head over to sigur ros but ended up staying for the entire show. Great show and i liked the stage set up so they were able to walk more into the crowd area.

Also now that OSL has moved that center security walkway at the Lands ends stage off way more to the left side it makes it WAY easier to creep up closer to the front of the stage and avoid the talkers

Spoon was just confirmed via Outsideland's facebook page

:-D

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Interpol 4/21, Sleater-Kinney 5/3, The Jesus and Mary Chain 5/16, Spoon 5/28, Neutral Milk Hotel 6/1, Sufjan Stevens 6/5&6, Taylor Swift 8/14
    Events
    Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015, SDCC 7/9-12/2015

spoooooooon!
    Outkast, Broken Bells, Bonobo, Flume, Jagwar Ma, Shlohmo, Grouplove, Duke Dumont, the Preatures
    Lorde, Foster the People, the Head and the Heart, CHVRCHES, Temples, Bombay Bicycle Club, Holy Ghost!, Blood Orange, the Magician
    Arcade Fire, Beck, Disclosure, Rudimental, STRFKR, Trombone Shorty, Poolside, Classixx, Aeroplane

I don't know much about Elton John but it really surprised me to see him as the top billed act of bonnaroo. I've never heard him discussed about as that level of fame

No little dragon Bay Area date idk if that means anything

Spoon! Fuck yes!

Quote Originally Posted by mjryan5 View Post
    Portugal played two years ago, so that makes them less likely. I'd love it if they came back though.
    And they're playing with the National in Berkeley in April, so I'd count them out.

Question: What's the origin of the Bruce rumor? Just logical? I've been trying to figure out where that came from. I'd be pumped to see a Springsteen show up close for cheap - only thing that has kept me from seeing Springsteen in the past is the price.

Bruce came mainly from his tour schedule and the fact US West leg could coordinate with OSL.
    Coachella - 2001, 2002, 2004, 2012, 2013 W1, 2014 W1
    ShowBAMS.com

Quote Originally Posted by drewoftherushes View Post
    Question: What's the origin of the Bruce rumor? Just logical? I've been trying to figure out where that came from. I'd be pumped to see a Springsteen show up close for cheap - only thing that has kept me from seeing Springsteen in the past is the price.
    Bruce is expected to add additional fall US tour dates (the first US leg is secondary markets, no NJ, etc), he's playing festivals on this go-round (see Jazz Fest and March Madness), and he fits the festival's headliner demographic perfectly (see Neil Young, Stevie Wonder, Paul McCartney, etc). And I think he's more likely to play a festival in SF than an arena show because it's not a huge market for him.

I wasn't planning on going back to OSL this year due to funds and other priorities...but a Bruce + Pearl Jam combination might be the only thing that would get both me and my mom there this year. How about Bruce + Prince + Pearl Jam? *head explodes*
    AC/DC - Lykke Li - Charles Bradley - Steely Dan - Ride - Alabama Shakes - Caribou - Tame Impala - GOASTT - Haerts - Eagulls - Todd Terje - George Ezra - Interpol

Jack White - War on Drugs - Father John Misty - Tycho - Kasabian - Belle & Sebastian - FKA twigs - Royal Blood – Jungle - Perfume Genius – Jamestown Revival - Bad Religion

St Vincent - Florence + the Machine - Sturgill Simpson - Panda Bear - Philip Selway - Ryan Adams - Jenny Lewis - Desaparecidos - Saint Motel - St. Lucia

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by purplecow View Post
    How about Bruce + Prince + Pearl Jam? *head explodes*
    stop that.

Now I want The Knife to play.

Quote Originally Posted by drewoftherushes View Post
    Spoon! Fuck yes!

And they're playing with the National in Berkeley in Afor pril, so I'd count them out.

On top of what other people have said, he has also headlined Roo who shares a lot of headliners with OSL due to both being Superfly productions.

Super happy about Spoon. Their hiatus was a little too long. I could see them pulling off a main stage middle of the day set.

Quote Originally Posted by acasey0 View Post
    I don't know much about Elton John but it really surprised me to see him as the top billed act of bonnaroo. I've never heard him discussed about as that level of fame
    Really? That's hard for me to imagine. He was such a big part of my childhood that I've always seen him as this mega star and I never considered that other people might not see him that way. If he does play OSL, I'm gonna have to find a way to make sure I can go. If we get Pearl Jam too, I might just die.

Sorry if its been asked but do we know how many tickets we can buy at once?
    Fri: AC/DC, Tame Impala, Steely Dan, Alabama Shakes, Cloud Nothings, Eagulls, Allah-Las, Brant Bjork & the LDPB
    Sat: Jack White, alt-J, Belle & Sebastian, Ratatat, Tyler the Creator, Father John Misty, Run the Jewels, Chet Faker, Kasabian, Milky Chance, Glass Animals, Royal Blood, Benjamin Booker, Ruen Brothers, Until the Ribbon Breaks
    Sun: Florence & the Machine, Ryan Adams, St. Vincent, Brand New, Mac Demarco, Vance Joy, St. Lucia, Saint Motel, the Orwells, Night Terrors of 1927

Really? Not to be mean here but he is a Sir. Not to many British musicians can say that. To me that is a sign that he is sort of a big deal. To think of Elton John as anything less of a legend is just plain ignorance. I'm not even big on him (though I would love to see him) but come one he is Elton John.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?