A film site that I used to post on had a great feature where members would periodically participate in a discussion and ranking of the best films by decade. The idea is simple and not far off from a lot of the threads that we have here: the forum holds an open thread to discuss the films of the decade for a six month period, people put together a ranking of their favorite 50 films from that decade, and at the end, the results are tabulated into a consensus ranking.
I thought that something similar might be a lot of fun here. First, everyone likes making and arguing about lists. More importantly, there is a lot of wisdom around here, particularly as regards older albums and genres. This thread, for example, is a trove of excellent write-ups by board members. It really is this board at its best. A list project would be a chance to expand or refer back to that work and the stuff in other threads and to hopefully expose each other to "new" old music.
If you are interested in participating, I've come up with some provisional rules below. I am welcome to the idea of amending them as people suggest before this really gets rolling. To start off, it probably makes the most sense to start in the 1960s when the album rock era really took off for the first time. If the project goes on long enough, we can circle back to pre 1960s albums (or even singles) later. If this is a success, we can do the 1970s in the second half of 2014, and so on.
BALLOTS ARE DUE BY THE END OF THE DAY JUNE 30, 2014
Please PM me your list of what you believe are the top 50 albums from the 1960s toward the end of the project. You may feel that you could compile a list of 50 favorite albums from this period much earlier than the deadline, but it's still highly recommended that you engage in the discussions here.
1) Each individual list is to comprise no more or less than 50 albums, ranked in your order of preference (with no ties). If you haven't yet heard 50 albums from the decade that you think are genuinely great (or even if you have), please take advantage of the resources in this thread and participate in the ongoing discussions to find albums that you can be proud to put on your list.
2) Any album, EP, or live album commercially released during the 1960s (1960-1969) is eligible. Singles are not eligible.
3) The date given on www.discogs.com is the relevant date for determining an album's year of release, even when it's clearly wrong (or unless a special case is made in the thread). If the album is not on discogs, and you say it was released during the 1960s, I'll take your word for it. For our purposes, if an album was recorded during the 1960s, but was not first released commercially until after the decade had ended, the album does not qualify for the list. (Example: The Basement Tapes is a 1970s release, The Smile Sessions is a 2010s release, etc.)
4) Please avoid listing any unofficial bootlegs.
5) Please avoid listing compilation or greatest hits albums, unless the compilation consists primarily of non-album singles, b-sides, or miscellany.
6) A #1 placement for a album on an individual list gives that album 50 points. A #2 placement gives that album 49 points, etc.
7) Albums receiving a vote from only one individual (aka “orphans”) are discarded.
8) The 100 albums with the most points make the final list. Albums with the same point totals tie. If the 100th highest ranked album is tied with other albums, the final list will include all albums tied with it.