Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Safari Tents.. Opinions?

Hybrid View

Smile Safari Tents.. Opinions?

Hello Everyone,

So 2014 will be my first Coachella experience and I am seriously considering a Safari Tent. Every review I have read says, "If you have the money for it, it's worth every penny." Money is not the issue with me, it is the experience. So here are my pros and cons so far:

Pros:
    1) Since I am traveling from Ohio by plane, I will not have a tent or any of my own camping supplies to bring, so a furnished tent with A/C and single shower access is HUGE for me.
    2) I can reserve a Safari Tent now and be set, no worry about getting tickets/accomodations when they go on sale to the general public in January.
    3) GUEST PASS- from what I hear they are the best, most exclusive passes you can get to Coachella.

Cons:
    1) The cost. $6500 is a lot of money and the cost differencial between the Safari Tents and the rest of the camping options is substantial.
    2) I still am wondering if just renting a 4 person tent at Lake Eldorado and getting 4 VIP passes would be almost as good while saving a couple thousand dollars.

Any input or comments are really appreciated!

Thanks!

Default Re: Safari Tents.. Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye2112 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

So 2014 will be my first Coachella experience and I am seriously considering a Safari Tent. Every review I have read says, "If you have the money for it, it's worth every penny." Money is not the issue with me, it is the experience. So here are my pros and cons so far:

Pros:
    1) Since I am traveling from Ohio by plane, I will not have a tent or any of my own camping supplies to bring, so a furnished tent with A/C and single shower access is HUGE for me.
    2) I can reserve a Safari Tent now and be set, no worry about getting tickets/accomodations when they go on sale to the general public in January.
    3) GUEST PASS- from what I hear they are the best, most exclusive passes you can get to Coachella.

Cons:
    1) The cost. $6500 is a lot of money and the cost differencial between the Safari Tents and the rest of the camping options is substantial.
    2) I still am wondering if just renting a 4 person tent at Lake Eldorado and getting 4 VIP passes would be almost as good while saving a couple thousand dollars.

Any input or comments are really appreciated!

Thanks!
    If money is not the issue, then what's your concern?

I've always heard that If you have the money for it, it's worth every penny.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014 • 2015
    6/21 Underworld at the Bowl • 8/1-8/2 HARD Summer Music Fesitval • 8/7-8/9 Outside Lands

I've done Safari camping twice. The biggest perks of the Guest pass are: Guest viewing sections at the stages -lots of room, mostly unobstructed view if you show up in decent time for your set. Golf carts taking you back and forth from your tent that you can access behind the stage area- there is a walkway that will take you from Guest viewing to the rear transport area. You can head back to your tent between sets for water, sunscreen, a change of shirt or shoes, or to quickly freshen up. Or let's say, if you need to get from Mainstage to the Gobi quickly, this is a great benefit. Access to the Artists camping area, where you can enjoy free water, sometimes beer/snacks and loungy comfortable atmosphere with nice toilet trailers. Access to all VIP areas. Best features of Safari area are: Shower toilet access in trailers with no waiting. Comfortable lounge tent with AC, breakfast in the morning and snacks late at night. Private bar access (paid). Swimming pool with lounge area. The tents you sleep in are pretty roomy, have AC with comfy beds and linens. A few minor drawbacks - Safari area can be noisy, as I'm sure it is in regular camping. Generators running, people coming and going, and at 4 am they start loading up the food and stuff for breakfast so if you are anywhere near the food tent you'll need earplugs for sure.

The best thing about it is that you can walk out of your tent and be at any stage in approximately 5 minutes. They also have a 24 hour security and concierge if you need sunscreen, bandaids, water, advil, even someone to shop for you if you want booze or food. You can bring in your own drinks and snacks and your car is parked in an adjacent parking area that requires a special parking pass (included) so you can head out to get more supplies if you need.

El Dorado doesn't supply the Guest pass or the golf carting or the free food and water, lounge, pool, private showers/toilets, or A/C. If you have a friend or two to share the cost with I'd say it's worth it for sure. When you consider what a hotel package costs with VIP there really isn't that big of a difference in the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Thanks a lot for the response. It was very informative and I am almost positive I'm going to go with a Safari Tent for my first Coachella trip.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I've done Safari camping twice. The biggest perks of the Guest pass are: Guest viewing sections at the stages -lots of room, mostly unobstructed view if you show up in decent time for your set. Golf carts taking you back and forth from your tent that you can access behind the stage area- there is a walkway that will take you from Guest viewing to the rear transport area. You can head back to your tent between sets for water, sunscreen, a change of shirt or shoes, or to quickly freshen up. Or let's say, if you need to get from Mainstage to the Gobi quickly, this is a great benefit. Access to the Artists camping area, where you can enjoy free water, sometimes beer/snacks and loungy comfortable atmosphere with nice toilet trailers. Access to all VIP areas. Best features of Safari area are: Shower toilet access in trailers with no waiting. Comfortable lounge tent with AC, breakfast in the morning and snacks late at night. Private bar access (paid). Swimming pool with lounge area. The tents you sleep in are pretty roomy, have AC with comfy beds and linens. A few minor drawbacks - Safari area can be noisy, as I'm sure it is in regular camping. Generators running, people coming and going, and at 4 am they start loading up the food and stuff for breakfast so if you are anywhere near the food tent you'll need earplugs for sure.

>>Our tent was right next to the food tent and I slept like a baby (a highly-medicated baby, but a baby none the less).

As well, you will love the golf cart access from stage to stage -- you get to experience so many more acts without wasting time crisscrossing the fields.

The best thing about it is that you can walk out of your tent and be at any stage in approximately 5 minutes. They also have a 24 hour security and concierge if you need sunscreen, bandaids, water, advil, even someone to shop for you if you want booze or food. You can bring in your own drinks and snacks and your car is parked in an adjacent parking area that requires a special parking pass (included) so you can head out to get more supplies if you need.

El Dorado doesn't supply the Guest pass or the golf carting or the free food and water, lounge, pool, private showers/toilets, or A/C. If you have a friend or two to share the cost with I'd say it's worth it for sure. When you consider what a hotel package costs with VIP there really isn't that big of a difference in the price.
    That Girl, you did a great job summarizing the Safari Tents. You should work on commission :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha99 View Post
    That Girl, you did a great job summarizing the Safari Tents. You should work on commission :-)
    Why didn't we meet last year, tenting so close? We had some nice bulb lights draped on our tent and windmill style flowers in the planters out front. We were right behind the Lounge tent and it was noisy as fuck. I will request a better placement for next time.
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

Obviously.
    L7 | KMFDM | Blondie | The Kills | OSL | FYF | Riot Fest Denver | The B-52's | Cut Copy (LIVE) | LIB | Garbage | CRSSD | Wolf Alice | Azealia Banks | Beach Goth 4 | Madonna

Quote Originally Posted by footixy View Post
    Girl, you can pound your vagina so hard in those the Sahara will feel a new kind of drop...
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    ... Keep fucking that chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip

Why didn't we meet last year, tenting so close? We had some nice bulb lights draped on our tent and windmill style flowers in the planters out front. We were right behind the Lounge tent and it was noisy as fuck. I will request a better placement for next time.
    I am going to check my pics to see if your tent is in them. Our tent was the first one to the right of the main entrance of the food tent. It was our first year in Safari, so we had no idea we could bring decorations for our tent...

Will you be in a Safari tent this year? If so, we should meet up for pre-show beverages and edibles :-)
    Last edited by Buddha99; 11-18-2013 at 06:23 AM.

I am going to check my pics to see if your tent is in them. Our tent was the first one to the right of the main entrance of the food tent. It was our first year in Safari, so we had no idea we could bring decorations for our tent...

Will you be in a Safari tent this year? If so, we should meet up for pre-show beverages and edibles :-)
    Not sure yet but if we go I'll let you know! We were right behind the food tent at the left side.

When you consider what a hotel package costs with VIP there really isn't that big of a difference in the price.
    WTMF?

You can get a hotel package at a four-star resort (with shuttle and VIP wristbands) for two people for less than $3,000. The price of a Safari Tent is $6,500. In what fucked up financial world or economy is $3,500 not 'that big of a difference in price'?
    L7 | KMFDM | Blondie | The Kills | OSL | FYF | Riot Fest Denver | The B-52's | Cut Copy (LIVE) | LIB | Garbage | CRSSD | Wolf Alice | Azealia Banks | Beach Goth 4 | Madonna

Quote Originally Posted by footixy View Post
    Girl, you can pound your vagina so hard in those the Sahara will feel a new kind of drop...
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    ... Keep fucking that chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip

Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    WTMF?

You can get a hotel package at a four-star resort (with shuttle and VIP wristbands) for two people for less than $3,000. The price of a Safari Tent is $6,500. In what fucked up financial world or economy is $3,500 not 'that big of a difference in price'?
    If you have 4 in your group, it splits a bit better $9,500/4 = $2,375 each

Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    WTMF?

You split it with people and it lessens the cost obviously.

The one item you neglected to mention that my group appreciated - scheduled massages!

The one item you neglected to mention that my group appreciated - scheduled massages!
    For $6000 it better include happy endings
    AC/DC-Ride-FlyingLotus-ActionBronson-WuTangLtd-Interpol-TameImpala-LykkeLi-Caribou-Squarepusher-Kimbra-ReverendHortonHeat-SylvanEsso-Haerts-Eagulls-LosRakas-GhostofASaber

JackWhite-Ratatat-RunTheJewels-Swans-Antemasque-Bostich+Fussible-BadReligion-Tyler-WarOnDrugs-AltJ-FKATwigs-Tycho-Kasabian-DriveLikeJehu-Jungle-CleanBandit-GaslampKiller-ParquetCourts-Yelle-Radkey

St.Vincent-Florence-BrandNew-Desaparecidos-OFF-ChicanoBatman-MØ-NightTerrorsOf1927-Drake... nah, just kidding, Fuck Drake

Question Re: Safari Tents.. Opinions?

Two CrazyCanucks here,

This is one for our bucket list which we booked a few weeks ago,

how close to the main stage are you for headliners ? and how early would you suggest getting there before lets say the ac/dc and jack white shows? are you actually right at the very front? any idea how many guest passes there are floating around ? we talking hundreds or competing for stage space with thousands?

Also how loud at 4 pm by the food tents is it ? we do intend on bringing earplugs and most likely sleeping pills , if we arrive at the checkin hotel say noon thursday (when they open) would we get choice of spots ? ( if food tent/lounge is bad what would be the best? cant hurt to ask)

also is security on you everytime you come back and forth ? ie emptying your water bottle if you are back and forth a fair bit? or maybe a wineskin etc etc....

any positive responses would be appreciated.

Cheers from Canada EH !!

We have booked one this year as well and can't wait! (bucket list) there's a couple of good threads on them worth searching for on the board.

Hard to say on the number of guest passes out there but what I do know is that there are approx 100 safari tents (see image on link below and look for the star shape in the bottom right - then you have guests of artists and of course golden voice themselves plus sponsors.

You do get right to the front of the stage and from the outside looking in at previous years, the area was pretty empty during the day and then busier at night for headliners etc.

I believe security checks are pretty much non existent once you are in - no checks to go through to the field each morning just jump on a cart and name your stage!

We are also going to try and get there early Thursday to get a spot away from the safari lounge - again the image below will give you a feel of layout

Enjoy and maybe see you there!

http://i.imgur.com/YLxtQZT.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanucks View Post
    Two CrazyCanucks here,

This is one for our bucket list which we booked a few weeks ago,

how close to the main stage are you for headliners ? and how early would you suggest getting there before lets say the ac/dc and jack white shows? are you actually right at the very front? any idea how many guest passes there are floating around ? we talking hundreds or competing for stage space with thousands?

Also how loud at 4 pm by the food tents is it ? we do intend on bringing earplugs and most likely sleeping pills , if we arrive at the checkin hotel say noon thursday (when they open) would we get choice of spots ? ( if food tent/lounge is bad what would be the best? cant hurt to ask)

also is security on you everytime you come back and forth ? ie emptying your water bottle if you are back and forth a fair bit? or maybe a wineskin etc etc....

any positive responses would be appreciated.

Cheers from Canada EH !!
    The viewing area for the all but the Outdoor Stage is on the left hand side. For the Outdoor it is on the right. On the satellite picture in Riflesmile's post you can see them at both stages. At each stage/tent it is up front and is the left or right 1/3 of the stage.

For the main acts if you want to be up front, you will need to get there at least one act early and work your way to the front. However, the entire area is pretty close so as long as you are in the viewing area you are good. For some shows the area can get completely filled where they will not allow anyone else in. As for number of wristbands, there are roughly 100 Safari Tents that can have 2-4 people. There are also close to 200 acts and who knows how many wristbands they get. Then add in the production wristbands that go to workers and sponsors. I would say well over 1000.

The tents are assigned before you get there. As for noise, it can be loud at night as the main safari tent will have a DJ and bar until at least 2am. After 2am it usually gets fairly quiet. I've never had a problem sleeping, but I am usually pretty tired by the end of the day.

Security is strict every time you go come into the area. You could walk out to your car, the security person never lose sight of you and they will still want to see your wristband when you come back through the gates. When you are leaving they will not allow you to take alcohol, but the do not really check anything. A water bottle with vodka would not be a problem, a can of beer would be.

If you look a the Riflesmile's picture the Safari area is the down toward the bottom right. It is laid out like a "*" with the arm at the 1:30 position missing. If I get my requested spot, my tent should be facing the parking lot and be in the 3 o'clock row. I will have a large, green inflatable dinosaur tied up in front. Stop by and say hi if you want. You're in for a great weekend.

GREAT SHOT OF THE GROUNDS !!!
    AND YES LOOK US UP WHEN YOU ARE THERE , WE WILL BE THE TENT WITH A FEW CANADA FLAGS HANGING FROM THE DOORS.
    MIGHT EVEN HAVE A COLD ONE WAITING FOR YOU IF WE GET THERE FIRST

We just returned from our weekend two Safari experience and are suffering from A major depression.
    Man that was the experience of a lifetime as festivals go.

As stated by rifflesmile below check in was smooth , we were first on the grounds and booked our free massage with the concierge right away.
    Tent was great one queen bed/big fridge/night stand and a tray of goodies.

we had a golf cart take us to the gen pop campground around 2 pm thursday and enjoyed the activity tent and had a few beers while we watched the car camping feild fill up with crazy people in front of our eyes.

The best part of the pkg was the golf cart transport. We saw 6-8 more sets over the 3 days than we would normaly have, and althought we were tired i could not imagine pushing our way to the front of each stage without wasting half our day. the front stage access was genius, seing the headliners from 20 feet away each night would cost you 400-600 a ticket easy at any other venue. picked up 3 bonus sets of ACDC devils horns to boot.

Regular VIP is a scam in comparison, althought the food choices there were better, we would leave from safari area and in under 10 minutes we were at the edge of the VIP section where we would slip in to order some vietnamese food and bring back to the artist's lounge just beside the main stage.

we were never searched by security, had a few rude people try to get on the carts with us ( was great to see them shut down every time by the drivers), most of the people in the compound were friendly but kept to themselves mostly. The air conditioned safari lounge was a great place to cool down between sets when the temp was 95.

only complaint would be the state of the bathrooms after the 1st day until the end, i will be following up with CID on that one.

Already trying to budget for next year coach1.jpgcoach1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanucks View Post
    We just returned from our weekend two Safari experience and are suffering from A major depression.
    Man that was the experience of a lifetime as festivals go.

As stated by rifflesmile below check in was smooth , we were first on the grounds and booked our free massage with the concierge right away.
    Tent was great one queen bed/big fridge/night stand and a tray of goodies.

we had a golf cart take us to the gen pop campground around 2 pm thursday and enjoyed the activity tent and had a few beers while we watched the car camping feild fill up with crazy people in front of our eyes.

The best part of the pkg was the golf cart transport. We saw 6-8 more sets over the 3 days than we would normaly have, and althought we were tired i could not imagine pushing our way to the front of each stage without wasting half our day. the front stage access was genius, seing the headliners from 20 feet away each night would cost you 400-600 a ticket easy at any other venue. picked up 3 bonus sets of ACDC devils horns to boot.

Regular VIP is a scam in comparison, althought the food choices there were better, we would leave from safari area and in under 10 minutes we were at the edge of the VIP section where we would slip in to order some vietnamese food and bring back to the artist's lounge just beside the main stage.

we were never searched by security, had a few rude people try to get on the carts with us ( was great to see them shut down every time by the drivers), most of the people in the compound were friendly but kept to themselves mostly. The air conditioned safari lounge was a great place to cool down between sets when the temp was 95.

only complaint would be the state of the bathrooms after the 1st day until the end, i will be following up with CID on that one.

Already trying to budget for next year coach1.jpgcoach1.jpg
    We are with you on the depression!

Great to hear you had such a good time

view of main stage
    Attached Images Attached Images

tent at night
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool Re: Safari Tents.. Opinions?

The depression is because its over !!!! and the beat is still thumping in our heads, went by way too fast.

Its the post Coachella blues!

oh if only i had the money...
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

Modest Mouse - Aug. 21 - Hollywood Forever
    Ratatat - Sept. 20 - Majestic Ventura
    Sufjan Stevens - Oct. 24 - Arlington Theatre
    Beach House - Dec. 12 - Fonda

You will enjoy it. I would love to do it again in 2014 if the lineup is good and I can come up with the cash.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Fuck Safari. Get a regular ticket and camping and just buy me 700 beers instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Fuck Safari. Get a regular ticket and camping and just buy me 700 beers instead.
    Do you mean me, or would you rather have beers with Buckeye?

I don't believe they have 4 person eldorado tents this year.

Also I would look into the La Quinta hotel and suites for your group of 4. www.Valleymusictravel.com