Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jean Michel Jarre

Default Re: Jean Michel Jarre

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    nope. and his desperate attempt at recognition by collaborating with every current major name who would say yes to him on his last album did nothing for his street cred.
    Especially with Edward Snowden.

Quote Originally Posted by Wu-financial View Post
    I'm not comparing the two musically at all or aesthetically at all. The general Coachella patron doesn't give a shit about an orchestra but his set was packed because of the articles that hyped his set.
    Yes, the articles. Not The Lion King, Pirates, Inception, The Dark Knight, or any of his other wildly fucking famous movies known for their music.

Yes when people think of Inception they think of that badass score. The only thing I even remember about the music in that movie is it popularized the obnoxious BBBBWWOOOOOOONGGG noise that plagues every modern trailer

I don't know a single person who needed an article to tell them who Hans Zimmer is. I don't know a single person who has a clue who Jean Michel Jarre is (or would care, even if he had a ton of articles written about him). Like I said, that's an terrible comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    I don't know a single person who needed an article to tell them who Hans Zimmer is. I don't know a single person who has a clue who Jean Michel Jarre is (or would care, even if he had a ton of articles written about him). Like I said, that's an terrible comparison.
    You talk to people on the boards and deal with people who are more well versed music fans I would guess. I camp with 45 people who are not so much, and every single one of them went too see him. I know none or few of them knew the name Hans Zimmer in 2016. His crowd was maybe the 4th biggest I was in weekend 2 this year. If you don't think the hype around his set was a lot to do with that then I don't know what to tell you. My original post was mostly a fucking joke anyway, I don't think they could convince a bunch of millennials that some old ambient electronic musician is cool. But seriously if you don't think a bunch of kids read about Hans doing the Lion King theme on the internet after the lineup came out, then you weren't behind the soundboard with a bunch of talkers around you that were there just to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wu-financial View Post
    You talk to people on the boards and deal with people who are more well versed music fans I would guess. I camp with 45 people who are not so much, and every single one of them went too see him. I know none or few of them knew the name Hans Zimmer in 2016. His crowd was maybe the 4th biggest I was in weekend 2 this year. If you don't think the hype around his set was a lot to do with that then I don't know what to tell you. My original post was mostly a fucking joke anyway, I don't think they could convince a bunch of millennials that some old ambient electronic musician is cool. But seriously if you don't think a bunch of kids read about Hans doing the Lion King theme on the internet after the lineup came out, then you weren't behind the soundboard with a bunch of talkers around you that were there just to be there.
    Here's the key difference: I'd guess at least 50% of people who saw Hans already knew who he was; another 40% read an article, and said "holy shit, I know who that guys is, I love those movies and they have awesome scores. that sounds dope"; another 10% read those same articles, thought "meh," then watched a video of one of the performances and said "holy shit I have to be there." Even without direct name recognition, most people do know his work.

With JMJ, I'd guess 95% of people have no clue who he is. Maybe 10% of those people would read an article and say "holy shit, I know who that guy is, that sounds dope" (this is very generous). Maybe another 10% sees a video or reads about the city-wide performances and says "holy shit, I have to be there." Nearly everybody will continue to not give a fuck.

I'll drop it though. We just don't have much else to argue about at the moment!

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    Here's the key difference: I'd guess at least 50% of people who saw Hans already knew who he was; another 40% read an article, and said "holy shit, I know who that guys is, I love those movies and they have awesome scores. that sounds dope"; another 10% read those same articles, thought "meh," then watched a video of one of the performances and said "holy shit I have to be there." Even without direct name recognition, most people do know his work.

With JMJ, I'd guess 95% of people have no clue who he is. Maybe 10% of those people would read an article and say "holy shit, I know who that guy is, that sounds dope" (this is very generous). Maybe another 10% sees a video or reads about the city-wide performances and says "holy shit, I have to be there." Nearly everybody will continue to not give a fuck.

I'll drop it though. We just don't have much else to argue about at the moment!
    Hahaha we are pretty much agreeing as I said in my first post he'd play to a tiny crowd. I'm willing to aimlessly argue until someone drops a good mock to fuss about.

Let's be real about JMJ. Not only would virtually nobody know who he was even if there were articles trumping him in a similar manner as Hans, but even if they gave him a prime slot on the main and tried to shut everything down for people to go watch him, it'd be Stone Roses all over again. I remember walking to fucking Tegan and Sara of all bands and seeing that crowd almost hit the Gobi because nobody cared about Stone Roses and just wanted something else to see.

It would be a major snag for the festival for reputation amongst music nerds and critics, but it would be a delicate line to walk in terms of billing and placement.

Wow. His first show of the US tour at Blue Hills Bank Pavilion outside of Boston is tonight, and it has sold EXTREMELY poorly. Take a look here. This must be a loss monetarily.

https://concerts1.livenation.com/eve...dium=affiliate

Yeah, I get the sense the show at the Greek in Berkeley is doing poorly as well - the most and least expensive ticket sections are sold out, tons of other tix available. I could see PT still being interested in booking him, and possibly even giving him as high as third line billing, but I have to imagine the poor performance of this tour would mean he couldn't command a significant fee, and could even end up somewhere like the Mojave.

where the jukebox plays apocalyptic bebop

Through the recent interviews I've seen him speak, he doesn't seem to show that there is an incredibly large ego to feed. I think he would be perfectly content with playing the Mojave or even Gobi. He gives off the impression of being a very enthusiastic forefather and ambassador to electronic music, and nothing more.

I do think the larger venues he has booked on this current tour are a bit too ambitious.
    ass on the grill

Quote Originally Posted by ameeps View Post
    Wow. His first show of the US tour at Blue Hills Bank Pavilion outside of Boston is tonight, and it has sold EXTREMELY poorly. Take a look here. This must be a loss monetarily.
    Yikes

Maybe because no one has ever heard of him.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

"nobody in the US has heard of him" is not the same as "nobody has heard of him".

I haven't heard of him. So I'm not buying a thicket, even if I am camping.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by EdithBunker View Post
    I don't know how a sound system could be implemented and catered to 2.5 million people in a city.
    In the Houston show they did it on FM radio. people sat in their cars or gathered in parks and oohed and aahed at the pretty lights while listening to the "live" set on their radio. It was all pretty stupid and made all the worse by the bad weather. The fact that his music is vapid tripe didn't help much either.

oh. now it's kinda interesting how this blurs the lines of "concert attendee". someone listening to a live broadcast on their radio at home wouldn't be considered as attending. someone listening to a live broadcast on their radio but has left their home to do it within eye shot of the concert... not so clear. I still say no, but it's fun to think about where that line is drawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twattycakes View Post
    If Zimmer isn't on the Coachella Stage I will literally shit on my own face in disgust.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    oh. now it's kinda interesting how this blurs the lines of "concert attendee". someone listening to a live broadcast on their radio at home wouldn't be considered as attending. someone listening to a live broadcast on their radio but has left their home to do it within eye shot of the concert... not so clear. I still say no, but it's fun to think about where that line is drawn.
    I guess you could say that it was really pushing the boundaries.
    Coachella 2011, 2013(wk1), 2014(wk1), 2014(wk2), 2015(wk1),

2016(wk1), 2016(wk2)

Tonights show:

Due to the use of lasers during the performance, patrons seated in the Rear Balcony, Upper Balcony, and Gallery are being relocated.
    lol

on the other hand, my seats just improved free of charge
    ass on the grill

it's not because it is undersold, I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    Tonights show:

lol

on the other hand, my seats just improved free of charge
    hoping that it's the same situation for Microsoft Theater and my cheap seats get upgraded as well!
    setlist.fm | last.fm | facebook | twitter
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018
    5/24 Phantogram/TYCHO/Poolside @ Cal Coast 5/25 Fever Ray @ Hollywood Palladium Janelle Monae @ Cal Coast Open Air Theater
    6/22 Belle & Sebastian/Japanese Breakfast @ Observatory 7/30 Decemberists @ Humphrey's by the Bay
    10/5-6 Caj Jam 18 10/12-14 Austin City Limits

IMG_1256.jpg

My new seat. See you on the other side
    ass on the grill

Hot take.

The show is 100% Coachella ready. It's a big show so there would have to be sacrifice at the outdoor theatre or main. Maybe the Sahara, but I have no clue what that stage looks like these days.

Great stage presence by JMJ, fun selection of music, gets a little trancey at times (but doesn't go overboard) and a wonderful light show. I think its worth $50 for those who are curious and can swing it for the remaining tour dates.

I don't typically take videos but my awesome relocated seats made me feel obligated. I'll try to get some up later.

Fantastique!
    ass on the grill

The Architect

Equinoxe pt4 / Glory ( just a fucking awesome visual)

The Time Machine (laser harp)
    ass on the grill

looking forward to saturday!
    setlist.fm | last.fm | facebook | twitter
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018
    5/24 Phantogram/TYCHO/Poolside @ Cal Coast 5/25 Fever Ray @ Hollywood Palladium Janelle Monae @ Cal Coast Open Air Theater
    6/22 Belle & Sebastian/Japanese Breakfast @ Observatory 7/30 Decemberists @ Humphrey's by the Bay
    10/5-6 Caj Jam 18 10/12-14 Austin City Limits

What time did he get on? was there an opener?

oh, speaking of. if anyone is going to the berkeley show:

Quote Originally Posted by APE
    The show is "An Evening With," which means that there is no opener and Jean Michel Jarre is the only act. He should be going on at 8 PM! Enjoy the show!
    If Zimmer isn't on the Coachella Stage I will literally shit on my own face in disgust.

He had a DJ to open at the Chicago show, but only played a half hour. JMJ started at 8pm and went to a little before 10:30pm
    Last edited by Bosco; 05-25-2017 at 10:51 AM.
    ass on the grill

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    He had a DJ to open at the Chicago show, but only played a half hour. JMJ started at 8pm and went to a little before 10:30pm
    there was a DJ opening in berkeley too, despite APE's suggestion to the opposite. I think it was this guy Marco Grenier.

https://soundcloud.com/marcog-1/the-...t-liebana-2017

so here's my take.

I agree completely with Bosco's comments. this is prime for closing the outdoor theater at Coachella. big electronic music performance with massive light show, from a historically relevant artist who has had very little presence in the US before. it would stand out from the rest of the festival circuit and bring a great performance to the festival. it's pretty much formula for Coachella, or at least it would be if more people in the US cared about the dude.

his current tour taps into the same aesthetic that Justice does, except this shits all over Justice. instead of two dudes who sometimes forget to plug their equipment in he is actually playing instruments and has two percussoinists with him on stage. instead of rows of fake marshall amps he has an A grade light show. anyone who enjoyed Justice's set at Coachella this year would enjoy this, whether they know his music or not. e-tards within eye or ear shot would probably get sucked in and stay through the end of the night.

I do find it pretty fucking arrogant of him to do his first tour ever in a country and ignore the first thirty years of his career to promote his latest album. a bit more of a greatest hits set would be appreciated. having said that, his newer "harder" material was more enjoyable than expected.

overall I came out entertained and satisfied. would see again.

the greek theater (8,500 capacity) was probably only 1/3 full. the emptiest I have ever seen it. he was still in great spirits, though.