Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jean Michel Jarre

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Default Re: Jean Michel Jarre

this was my favorite part I think.

that guitar part at the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twattycakes View Post
    If Zimmer isn't on the Coachella Stage I will literally shit on my own face in disgust.

where the jukebox plays apocalyptic bebop

Yeah, the thinned crowds have to be a bit sobering for him. It's too bad, his show deserves much better. But if he can stomach one more, I would hope that Coachella would give him a shot.

And if not Coachella, hopefully a festival like Day for Night can provide the correct appreciation.
    ass on the grill

I feel like he made a miscalculation by not starting with Coachella. I haven't seen any buzz about his tour at all aside from here, but if he'd started it at Coachella, he probably would've gotten a fair amount of press out of it. He might not have had a big crowd, but it could have drawn people in who were walking by; Weekend 1 people would've talked it up to W2 people; those that missed him would've been at least intrigued to catch one of the shows on the tour.

Instead, if he plays next year, he will have already satisfied his most devoted fans with the tour, and it loses the draw of "first show of first American tour."

just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted in this thread, this show was nowhere near my radar and we decided to go based on Bosco's videos. Wow what a great time.

some great photos from twitter handle @evoake

JMJ has been tweeting more tagged photos of @evoake's as well. I'm too lazy to re-host all of them...

Good stuff.
    ass on the grill

I think Coachella could pull this off with a couple silent stages, a shitload of promo videos a la Hans Zimmer to generate buzz (although Hans easily has more recognition in the USA, and it's not even close), and a nighttime outdoor slot. It still wouldn't be a giant crowd, but you could rope in Reddit (which, occasional trainwrecks aside, are the more musically adventurous half of the 2014-2018 attendees) with the #visualz if there was enough promotion and not too much competition.

I think if they were to invite him the best chance at drawing people in is to use a live performance video of his as a lineup teaser. I don't remember if they still do that regularly, I distinctly remember it my last year (2011) when they teased us first with a trentemoller video, then with a phantogram video. I feel like they have done similar since? regardless, it's an effective way of drawing undue attention to an artist. and his performance is flashy enough to turn heads so I think it'd make a good teaser as excitement builds for the lineup drop.

Yeah. Exactly. They do it more on Instagram/Twitter post-lineup rather than Facebook now. I think Hans had a significant degree of hype from the second his name was on the poster, but the clips Coachella posted certainly added to it.

I still think it would be an average attended set at best even with shutdown stages and promo, but it's an easier sell to a 20 something Sahara-rat than, say, Fugazi or Tom Waits.

agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twattycakes View Post
    If Zimmer isn't on the Coachella Stage I will literally shit on my own face in disgust.

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    Instead, if he plays next year, he will have already satisfied his most devoted fans with the tour, and it loses the draw of "first show of first American tour."
    Well to be fair, his most devoted fans probably wouldn't be at Coachella anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Uhh, Gil Scott-Heron is kinda dead, dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous96 View Post
    Whoops lol, that's what happens with my piss poor knowledge of rap

That's very fair.

Being selfish, I hope they attempt to pull this off and fall flat on their face. Or just go into it knowing what kind of pull they have. Those night Chella shows with hardly else around are magic. Kaytranada and Grinderman in 2015 were small, but amazing crowds. Seeing a 2nd line act play to a crowd smaller than what's normally in the Heineken tent was nice.

Those photos are really something!!! This is 100% Coachella worthy, and if he is no appearing on 2018 lineup, they better have something phenomenal lined up. Despite the amount of garbage they pull to the polo fields every year, there is always those couple of insanely good shows that basically keep you from putting your ticket up for re-sale.

I agree with some of the ideas bouncing around in this thread of how this could be marketed to get a respectable audience to turn up. Maybe they should just put him on the main stage before Beyonce.
    Coachella 2011, 2013(wk1), 2014(wk1), 2014(wk2), 2015(wk1),

2016(wk1), 2016(wk2)

Quote Originally Posted by Wu-financial View Post
    Being selfish, I hope they attempt to pull this off and fall flat on their face. Or just go into it knowing what kind of pull they have. Those night Chella shows with hardly else around are magic. Kaytranada and Grinderman in 2015 were small, but amazing crowds. Seeing a 2nd line act play to a crowd smaller than what's normally in the Heineken tent was nice.
    Neither were as empty as you seem to remember. Footage backs that up. I can think of dozens of night-time tent acts with smaller crowds than those two.. Kaytranada and Grinderman actually had good size crowds, considering they were during a headliner. Larger than most Mojave or Gobi sets during a headliner if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by LilithChella View Post
    Neither were as empty as you seem to remember. Footage backs that up. I can think of dozens of night-time tent acts with smaller crowds than those two.. Kaytranada and Grinderman actually had good size crowds, considering they were during a headliner. Larger than most Mojave or Gobi sets during a headliner if you ask me.
    Shut the fuck up. Grinderman was empty as hell. Show me literally any footage of that set with a "not small" crowd.
    My old account "Mikey1313666" is down for whatever reason.

There were more people on the stage than in the crowd at Grinderman.

Well nobody asked you ya crazy fuck.

There were like 200 people at Grinderman when I went over there.
    7/21 Lake Street Dive . 7/23 Animal Collective . 7/31 Beach House . 9/15 Beyoncé & Jay-Z . 9/29 The Decemberists . 10/4 Phoenix . 10/5-10/7 ACL Fest . 10/28 Rüfüs Du Sol

Last edited by LilithChella; 12-30-2017 at 03:18 PM.

That one shot of Grinderman is quite literally the entire crowd. Same with the video.

Come on MotoRave, we all thought you were better at this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313 View Post
    That one shot of Grinderman is quite literally the entire crowd. Same with the video.

Come on MotoRave, we all thought you were better at this.
    Same with the Kaytranada set, except its maybe 100 more people spaced apart to dance.... Also that reminds me of how much better his set was in 2015

This is gonna be sooooo good

Quote Originally Posted by rousse View Post
    This is gonna be sooooo good
    10-year old thread ends in success!
    -----------------------

I swear to god Paul if you book JMJ against Soulwax or Jamiroquai I will hunt you down!

Hey, nothingman! Long time no see.

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonguy20 View Post
    I swear to god Paul if you book JMJ against Soulwax or Jamiroquai I will hunt you down!
    I'm pretty damn sure none of these acts will conflict. Maaaybe a 5-10 minute overlap, but they wont be right against each other.

so, sahara? or maybe outdoor theater?

I feel like the sahara has too many of it's own lights and would interfere with his own visuals.

I really hope he doesn't bring out Edward Snowden as a guest.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    so, sahara? or maybe outdoor theater?

I feel like the sahara has too many of it's own lights and would interfere with his own visuals.
    I feel like this has tent during headliner written all over it. Which is good, because i really want this to be one of my top 3 sets of the weekend.

While I support his inclusion on the lineup, his music is extremely niche among the current Coachella attendee. If they put him on a big stage (Main,Outdoor, Sahara or Mojave), how the hell are they going to draw a respectable crowd? The average passerby will be drawn to his elaborate light-show. But he has nowhere near the crutch of indirect influence that Hans Zimmer had going last year.
    ass on the grill