Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jean Michel Jarre

Default Jean Michel Jarre

I think Coachella needs to bring in the original, my dad started listening to this dude in '78 and he just came out with a new album for the first time in 13 years. His visuals are fucking amazing.....

Anyways, thats my

Default Re: Jean Michel Jarre

He only plays shows for like 150,000 people.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    He only plays shows for like 150,000 people.
    ...And Daft Punk never plays the US.....

Seriously though, he only plays massively huge events at like Tianamen Square and the Pyramids and shit. I think he did Glasto once, or was in talks to do Glasto. Who knows, anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    Seriously though, he only plays massively huge events at like Tianamen Square and the Pyramids and shit. I think he did Glasto once, or was in talks to do Glasto. Who knows, anything is possible.
    Yea, I know. It's a stretch. But I think Coachella could pull it off.

hell yeah. so classic.

I remember the first time I heard Jarre in a dorm room at michigan State in 1978. Music was never the same again. They play it quite a bit on XM.

My god that would be amazing at Coachella

That would definitely be cool.

I cant believe that my Dad posted on the board, thats so awesome.
    Someone should jam a panda up his peehole.
    Fuck Tiesto and his overblown schtick.

where the jukebox plays apocalyptic bebop

So the American Dates are nearly upon us. Anyone catch him in Canada?
    ass on the grill

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

haha. bumping old threads is fun.

tickets are way too much. top tier at the berkeley show is $125 + fees! though they seem to have sold out of those. or just stopped selling them. regardless, I'm counting on cheap stubhub tickets the week of the show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twattycakes View Post
    If Zimmer isn't on the Coachella Stage I will literally shit on my own face in disgust.

where the jukebox plays apocalyptic bebop

Yeah, the same problem exists for the Chicago show. I've been watching re-sell tickets for a month now, and nothing is popping up. The cheapest ticket here is like $50 for gallery seating, and it looks like the absolute worst.

I'll most likely cave, just because of the rarity. But I project he'll probably be back for some obscure dates or festivals. I'm thinking Day for Night or maybe Coachella 2018.
    ass on the grill

He has played in 5 concerts that each had 1 million+ people. Still, his none of his 32 albums has ever reached the top 50 in the U.S.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

I question any concert statistic that claims a million people were there.

apparently one of those was in Houston, which I find even more questionable given gps' trivia up there. 5 April 1986, celebration of the 150th anniversary of Texas, and 25th anniversary of NASA?
    If Zimmer isn't on the Coachella Stage I will literally shit on my own face in disgust.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    I question any concert statistic that claims a million people were there.

apparently one of those was in Houston, which I find even more questionable given gps' trivia up there. 5 April 1986, celebration of the 150th anniversary of Texas, and 25th anniversary of NASA?
    Well, my alternative facts are based on wikipedia. It looks like you found the same source.

I actually never heard of him. At first I thought it was Maurice Jarre, but he died in 2009. He wrote the scores for Lawrence of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago.
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

I didn't mean to accuse you of alternative facts. yes I have the same source as you. the guiness book of world records stands behind those attendance numbers. I don't fault anyone for believing them.

I just personally find it questionable. the logistics of making a concert accessible to a million people just seems infeasible to me. considering some of the largest ticketed concert events I have seen happen in my lifespan clock in around 125k attendees and look fucking humongous from the photos. the concept of having 10x that many people, let alone 30x that many, seems absurd.

crowds of that size can only be estimated via photos. the internet seems to be strangely devoid of photos of photos capturing the size of this 3.5 million person crowd he played to in russia. there's an entire concert video on youtube but shots of the crowd are scarce and don't show enough to prove even a fraction of 3.5 million. reminder that this was in Russia.

similarly, no photos demonstrating the crowd size in houston. pics or it didn't happen.

It looks legit.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    I actually never heard of him. At first I thought it was Maurice Jarre, but he died in 2009. He wrote the scores for Lawrence of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago.
    Maurice is his father.

He's playing the Microsoft Theater later this month, with a capacity of 7,100. So there's some hope!

I didn't mean to accuse you of alternative facts. yes I have the same source as you. the guiness book of world records stands behind those attendance numbers. I don't fault anyone for believing them.

I just personally find it questionable. the logistics of making a concert accessible to a million people just seems infeasible to me. considering some of the largest ticketed concert events I have seen happen in my lifespan clock in around 125k attendees and look fucking humongous from the photos. the concept of having 10x that many people, let alone 30x that many, seems absurd.

crowds of that size can only be estimated via photos. the internet seems to be strangely devoid of photos of photos capturing the size of this 3.5 million person crowd he played to in russia. there's an entire concert video on youtube but shots of the crowd are scarce and don't show enough to prove even a fraction of 3.5 million. reminder that this was in Russia.

similarly, no photos demonstrating the crowd size in houston. pics or it didn't happen.
    Ok, I think I figured out the Houston one. From what I can tell, this was essentially a city-wide thing - the light show included projections on the buildings, fireworks throughout the city, etc - and I think they're counting the entire population of the city (which was around 1.5 million. Here's a video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYio7l7B940.

Reading more on it, though, I could believe that the majority of the city would've turned out for it to some degree: http://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/05/us...one/index.html
    Last edited by braundiggity; 05-13-2017 at 04:22 PM.

Here's the 2.5 million Paris la Defense show, which, again...seems like they're just counting the population of the city. But this pic (clearly hours before the show even started) definitely makes 1 million+ feel believable. Regardless the pure scale and spectacle of these is pretty stunning -- has anyone else ever attempted something like this?

yeah I can believe 2.5 million people might show up for such a city wide event. I still fail to believe even half the people there knew old jean was up front, let alone heard him.

so we have figured out his niche. house DJ for city wide celebrations. comes with free world records, certified by guinness.

He could be the first artist to play the whole festival at once. Shutdown every stage during his set, and play the video of his performance on the screens at other stages.
    Coachella 2011, 2013(wk1), 2014(wk1), 2014(wk2), 2015(wk1),

2016(wk1), 2016(wk2)

I'm looking forward to this next weekend!
    setlist.fm | last.fm | facebook | twitter
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018
    5/24 Phantogram/TYCHO/Poolside @ Cal Coast 5/25 Fever Ray @ Hollywood Palladium Janelle Monae @ Cal Coast Open Air Theater
    6/22 Belle & Sebastian/Japanese Breakfast @ Observatory 7/30 Decemberists @ Humphrey's by the Bay
    10/5-6 Caj Jam 18 10/12-14 Austin City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by svenflauge View Post
    He could be the first artist to play the whole festival at once. Shutdown every stage during his set, and play the video of his performance on the screens at other stages.
    If they don't do that then he might be playing to the smallest crowd he's seen in years. At least it'll be a personal record. But hey, maybe the "in" publications will have the "Holy Fuck It's Jean Michel Jarre" headlines that Hans Zimmer got this year so people can pretend it's the dream booking they've always wanted all over again.

A Hans Zimmer-Jean Michel Jarre comparison makes no sense at all.

yeah I can believe 2.5 million people might show up for such a city wide event. I still fail to believe even half the people there knew old jean was up front, let alone heard him.

so we have figured out his niche. house DJ for city wide celebrations. comes with free world records, certified by guinness.
    I don't know how a sound system could be implemented and catered to 2.5 million people in a city. It's not very difficult to get a million people together on 4th of July for fireworks in any United States capital city. He is definitely an opportunist. Sadly I don't think his set would be appreciated much at all with the current demographic Coachella is marketed towards.

Quote Originally Posted by EdithBunker View Post
    Sadly I don't think his set would be appreciated much at all with the current demographic Coachella is marketed towards.
    nope. and his desperate attempt at recognition by collaborating with every current major name who would say yes to him on his last album did nothing for his street cred.

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    A Hans Zimmer-Jean Michel Jarre comparison makes no sense at all.
    I'm not comparing the two musically at all or aesthetically at all. The general Coachella patron doesn't give a shit about an orchestra but his set was packed because of the articles that hyped his set.

Quote Originally Posted by Wu-financial View Post
    I'm not comparing the two musically at all or aesthetically at all. The general Coachella patron doesn't give a shit about an orchestra but his set was packed because of the articles that hyped his set.
    Or because Hans Zimmer is a pretty well-known composer with some of the most popular film soundtracks of all-time under his belt.