Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uber Stories at Coachella

Default Uber Stories at Coachella

I plan on using Uber to get to and from my place in Coachella. I have heard a couple of stories of people paying ridiculous amounts to uber for a ride. Does anyone have a similiar story, I would love to see what everyone else paid so I can estimate my costs.

Default Re: Uber Stories at Coachella

Its going to (inevitably) be surge pricing, so make sure you keep an eye out for that.
    Use the "Fair Estimate" feature to be sure you want to pay the amount.
    Last edited by ELIZA83TH; 03-31-2015 at 02:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up View Post
    a cunt punt is always the best solution to cure someone of their bitchassness
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    What asshole brings an iPad to a hippie fire circle?

Lurker

I'll be camping but I would think it would be easy to hitch a ride to the Festival from the many many people that will have their own cars. Make a funny sign and I'm sure you'll get a ride, if it's just you and a friend. As for a ride back maybe try the same thing but most likely uber.

Going there use the good ol' thumb and make some new friends. Coming back take an uber.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

It will 100% guaranteed be very high surge pricing. On a normal busy weekend night in Hollywood or Downtown L.A. I've seen it get as high as 10x the normal rate. I wouldn't be surprised if it got higher out there.
    last.fm
    5/15-17/15 - Psycho CA @ Observatory // 5/22/15 - Laura Jane Grace @ Hollywood Forever Cemetary // 5/27/15 - Neutral Milk Hotel @ Warner Grand Theater
    6/3/15 - Sufjan Stevens @ Dorothy Chandler // 7/15/15 - Shellac @ Regent // 7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy

my friends and i took uber a total of 7 times over the course of weekend 1 last year. we would take an uber suv (group of 6 people). we stayed in palm desert, about 10 miles from the campgrounds. we spent a total of 850 bucks. one ride, i believe friday night, was $250. the whole ordeal was a cluster-f#$% last year because the cops and the city weren't letting uber drivers into the uber pickup location. they somewhat sorted it out by the next day. expect a little bit of surging in the mid afternoon on your way to the festival. expect crazy surges afterwards. best of luck. the way i see it, it's cheaper than a dui!

Uber and taxis raise their pricing every year. I carpool every year and don't charge an arm and a leg. $250 for a ride to palm desert is ridiculous. . Call/text me @1-760-625-9777 or email me sam.solorzano@aol.com ..I'm cheap and fair

Isn't there an official Uber pavilion at the fest where you are required to go if you want to request a ride through Uber? Think I saw on this on FB.

Not surprised you didn't search, surprised nobody brought this thread to your attention. Looks like it could be worth a read for you, start at teh beginning for more coachella relevant posts.

https://www.coachella.com/forum/show...highlight=uber

I always camp, but many friends have had success paying locals for what i seem to remember as 10 bucks a head. Plenty of people have been posting there phone numbers here and i presume Craigslist as well.

Don't know who your're chastising, but IDGAF because I don't use Uber. Maybe the others here feel the burn of your chide.

Thank you everyone for your help!

I'd try locals before Uber. The surge pricing is out of hand.
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Luster View Post
    Don't know who your're chastising, but IDGAF because I don't use Uber. Maybe the others here feel the burn of your chide.
    Thanks, great post and contribution

Some of the stories I've heard just blow my mind. The thought of paying $500+ just to get to and from the festival is outrageous. Thank god for onsite camping; I know staying in a house or hotel may have its perks, but paying inflated prices on everything throughout the course of the weekend doesn't justify it in my eyes. Best of luck to all those using Uber.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Luster View Post
    Why on earth would you think he was talking to anyone besides the OP? it didn't even make sense as a response to you or anyone else.
    last.fm
    5/15-17/15 - Psycho CA @ Observatory // 5/22/15 - Laura Jane Grace @ Hollywood Forever Cemetary // 5/27/15 - Neutral Milk Hotel @ Warner Grand Theater
    6/3/15 - Sufjan Stevens @ Dorothy Chandler // 7/15/15 - Shellac @ Regent // 7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy

Quote Originally Posted by conners View Post
    Some of the stories I've heard just blow my mind. The thought of paying $500+ just to get to and from the festival is outrageous. Thank god for onsite camping; I know staying in a house or hotel may have its perks, but paying inflated prices on everything throughout the course of the weekend doesn't justify it in my eyes. Best of luck to all those using Uber.
    It tells you the price before you call the car though. It's the user's own fault for not paying attention if they are mad about it later.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why on earth would you think he was talking to anyone besides the OP? it didn't even make sense as a response to you or anyone else.
    Delusions of grandeur. Lack of attention from my father. Randy Wang complex

How did anyone ever get to the festival before Uber?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    It tells you the price before you call the car though. It's the user's own fault for not paying attention if they are mad about it later.
    It doesn't shock me that there are people who can afford and are willing to drop that much just on rides. I'm not sure how much grouping up and splitting the cost would help in the long run, if at all. $85 for a CC pass and about $150 for gas round trip works for me. I'm sure taxis inflate too.

I'll be driving in from yucca valley each day during weekend 2. if thats on the way from you let me know on here and i'll pick you up. cost only to split fuel costs to and from. if you have one more friend then we can get down for carpoolchella too! as long as everyone is 18 yrs or older. i'm flying solo on this one but welcome carpooling in and out of the fest

Just pass out in the campgrounds somewhere. Not in my tent though. In a tree.

Its an absolute hassle to get to the lot. Last year it was also a complete dirt lot. The drivers are also high strung. I know a lot of the lyft/uber guys who went out and were weekend warriors they barely got sleep and were highly money motivated. Expect high surges and a geo fence unless you're in the uber lot or well away from the polo fields.
    COACHELLA 2016

DAFT PUNK,... Ronald Jenkees! The Prodigy! Faithless! Groove Armada Live! Underworld! London Elektricity! (live set) Future Sound of London! DJ Yoda (DVJ Set!) Dillinja and Lemon D w/ the Valve Soundsystem, Ed Solo & Deekline! Dizzee Rascal!

Take the Coachella shuttles to another spot and use Lyft from there. Uber will be surging in all of the Coachella valley. Lyft surges are in much smaller areas.
    Drivers are for sure looking for big paydays, I would be. Picking up at big events is a LOT of stress.

This is a dumb thread.. of course the prices are going to be through the roof. It's Coachella!
    [B]Darthlaker

Quote Originally Posted by CrimesceneCookie View Post
    Take the Coachella shuttles to another spot and use Lyft from there. Uber will be surging in all of the Coachella valley. Lyft surges are in much smaller areas.
    Drivers are for sure looking for big paydays, I would be. Picking up at big events is a LOT of stress.
    I would plan on the whole coachella valley to be prime time during the weekend. Those spots can be triggered just by a driver not being there. So even if people are not requesting rides if a driver is not there it can still trigger a prime time box. But you are right better chances of taking a shuttle or walking farther away and in the opposite direction of the taxi/uber lot.
    COACHELLA 2016

DAFT PUNK,... Ronald Jenkees! The Prodigy! Faithless! Groove Armada Live! Underworld! London Elektricity! (live set) Future Sound of London! DJ Yoda (DVJ Set!) Dillinja and Lemon D w/ the Valve Soundsystem, Ed Solo & Deekline! Dizzee Rascal!

Yup you will make things 10x easier on drivers by separating yourself from a big crowd of people and calling them through the app ahead of time and telling them exactly where you are standing. If you see a big sign or landmark away from the crowd, stand there.
    Don't try to be picked up on a busy road where cars can't stop without blocking traffic. I had a super stoned passenger on a freeway onramp once, I had to tell him 20 times to walk somewhere accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimesceneCookie View Post
    Exactly. This worked very well for my crew last year. We were a $5 Uber away from a shuttle stop in Palm Desert. It may have been surge pricing when we got back, but I don't recall. Even if it is, you'll still never be on the hook for a $700 ride. Or, you check Lyft. Or, you can get a taxi since you're at a hotel. Or, you're at a hotel and maybe the bar is still open.
    4/23 - Faith No More 4/24 - Faith No More 6/6 - Eddie Izzard 6/13-6/14 - Splash House (maybe) 6/21 - Underworld 6/27 - Ice Cube, Kendrick Lamar, Snoop (maybe) 6/28 - Basement Jaxx 7/15 - John Fogerty 8/1-8/2 - HARD Summer 8/8-8/9 - Splash House (maybe) 8/22 - Heart 9/20 - Empire of the Sun

I have one Luxury SUV Cadliiac Escalade Left $65.00 Per Person 7 Person's or $450.00 to get Chauffeured Privately Last Chance leaves Friday Morning This is One Way I can do Round Trip for $725.002015-cadillac-escalade_100462763_h.jpg
    Last edited by actsholy; 04-08-2015 at 11:31 AM.

I have one Luxury SUV Cadliiac Escalade Left $65.00 Per Person 7 Person's or $450.00 to get Chauffeured Privately Last Chance leaves Friday Morning This is One Way I can do Round Trip for $725.002015-cadillac-escalade_100462763_h.jpg
    Last edited by actsholy; 04-08-2015 at 11:37 AM.

Why not just drive?

Go fuck around in the campsite for 2-3 hours after the concert until somebody has a low enough BAC. By then, the parking lots have largely cleared out anyway, making things easier.

Or use a cab! They are regulated.....and have meters. They can't (by law) increase prices.
    How many animals can you find in the 2015 Coachella lineup?

Last edited by actsholy; 04-08-2015 at 11:38 AM.