Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sled Island 2015 (GYBE curating)

Default Sled Island 2015 (GYBE curating)

Apart from the 2013 cancellation, anyone here have good/bad things to say about this one?

> SLED ISLAND ANNOUNCES 2015 CURATORS
    GODSPEED YOU! BLACK EMPEROR

JUNE 24 TO 28 IN CALGARY, ALBERTA

Calgary's Sled Island returns from June 24 to 28, 2015 for another year of cutting edge, dynamic and all-around awesome musical experiences. Organizers are thrilled to announce Canada's Godspeed You! Black Emperor as this year's guest curators. Aside from unleashing their top musical picks on the city, the band will also be playing two very special shows at the beautiful Central United Church in what will be their first-ever appearance in Calgary.

Since forming in 1994, the celebrated orchestral post-rock band have released four critically acclaimed albums and wowed audiences around the world with stunning shows that blend wall-of-sound performances with captivating film projections.

Each year, Sled Island's guest curator helps to set the direction and tone of the festival through specialized programming choices and with their presence at the festival. Past curators have included: John Dwyer (Thee Oh Sees), Kathleen Hanna (Bikini Kill, Le Tigre, The Julie Ruin), Tim Hecker, Andrew W.K., Colin Newman (Wire), Fucked Up, Scott Kannberg (Pavement) and more.

Sled Island is an annual five-day music and arts festival in Calgary, Alberta, that brings together over 300 bands, artists, comedians and filmmakers in more than 30 venues across the city. Since 2007, Sled Island's thoughtful, eclectic programming and independent spirit have fused with Calgary's youthful energy to produce a one-of-a-kind festival experience. The festival was included in TIME Magazine's Top 14 festivals to check out in 2014. Please visit SledIsland.com for more information.

"The connection between those acts, and Sled Island's great secret, resides in putting together a well-selected list of live music. It's still all about the curation.... if you define a festival by its crowd, then Sled Island is the best in the world." - Noisey

"Sled Island is a multi-day music festival that brings 250 bands to town to play 30 venues. If organizers have their way, Sled Island will make Calgary the Austin of the North, if only for a few days a year." - The A.V. Club

"One of the advantages Sled Island has on almost any other festival is that the wonderful and weird venues are scattered around Calgary. Every performance seemed to take place in venue that would be a signature spot in most other cities.... It showcased the strength and weirdness that grows in towns that get skipped when bands route their tours. It took the charms of the city and made it the festival's defining characteristic." - Wondering Sound

"Sled Island's innovative, eclectic and thoughtful programming and independent spirit have combined with Calgary's youthful energy to produce a largely unique festival experience." - Consequence of Sound

Passes on sale now at a limited-time rate of 10% off!

$179 Discovery Pass: Access to all Sled Island events (250+ bands, art, film, comedy), subject to capacity.
    $315 Discovery Plus Pass: All the benefits of the Discovery Pass as well as priority access to all Sled Island events (skip to the front of lines!), Artist Lounge privileges, a Sled Island delegate bag and more!
    $45 All-Ages Pass: Access to all-ages venues including Olympic Plaza, National Music Centre, Tubby Dog and many more.

Default Re: Sled Island 2015 (GYBE curating)

Oh man this sounds exciting!!!
    you are soooooooo good lookin

Oi!!!
    Translation

Swans @ Terminal West 03/28/15
    Drive like Jehu @ The Glass House 04/08/15
    Electric Wizard @ Slims 04/17/15
    Acid Mother Temple @ BOTM 04/18/15
    Faith No More @ the Warfield 04/20/15
    John Zorn @ UCLA 05/02/15
    Will Bulter @ Slims 05/26/15
    Neutral Milk Hotel @ Pappy & Harriets 05/30/15
    Mariah Carey @ Caesars palace 06/11/14

Last.fm
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Fuck you.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Hmmmm I'm intrigued
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I've listen to Sugah Daddy three times today trying to hear him say pussy fart.

It's going to be good year. Always a fun festival. Central United is a great venue for Godspeed. I'll be at both shows for sure.

I had a great time last year.
    2/28 Warpaint @ Fais Do-Do, 4/10 St. Vincent @ The Cosmopolitan, 5/2 Desert Daze, 5/8-10 Levitation

Judging by their ATP lineup, this should be very interesting and maybe even worth the trip up north

In case nobody wants to google it:
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Bardo Pond, The Ex, Deerhoof, Tim Hecker, Mike Watt, Scout Niblett, Neurosis, Black Dice, The Dead C, Francisco López, Wolves in the Throne Room, Rangda, Marissa Nadler, Growing, Weird Al Yankovic, Nomeansno, Emeralds, White Magic, Josephine Foster, Daniel Higgs, Boban I Marko Markovic Orchestra, Cluster, Mahjongg, Charlemagne Palestine, Maher Shalal Hash Baz, Keiji Haino, Flower / Corsano Duo, Borbetomagus, Daniel Menche, Country Teasers, Bruce Mcclure, Berg Sans Nipple, Sick Llama, Oneida present The Ocropolis, Thee Oh Sees, Hangedup, Matana Roberts, Land Of Kush, Philip Jeck, John Butcher, Tindersticks, The Sadies, Yomul Yuk and Dreamcatcher.

As a Calgarian I have to say this is the first time I've read about Sled and given more than zero fucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    As a Calgarian I have to say this is the first time I've read about Sled and given more than zero fucks.
    That's a pretty ignorant comment right there.

Yeah, c'mon. Why slag the fest? It has a very loyal following and the festival always books great up and coming bands combined with creative and inspired curators. Sled Island is a really great, fun, and welcoming fest where everyone can have a good time. When I went in 2012 I had a total blast. Everyone was in great spirits. Aaaaaand there are kickass day parties if you look around. I basically spent 4 days straight drunk and spent $16 on booze that whole weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

I mean zero fucks about this lineup in 2008? Really?
    Mogwai, Of Montreal, Wire, RZA, Broken Social Scene, Tegan and Sara, Grizzly Bear, Yo La Tengo, Drive-by Truckers, José González, Extra Golden, Gutter Twins, Beans, Jonathan Richman, Chris Gheran, The Dodos, Deerhunter, Okkervil River, BBQ, Women, No Age, Dan Deacon, Qui, Pride Tiger, Wet Secrets, Carolyn Mark, Elliot Brood, Portastatic, Scott Kannberg, Whitsundays, Woodpigeon, Mother Mother, Broken West, Chad VanGaalen....

The past lineups I've seen all look pretty good. But, GYBE isn't going to be curating all 250 act, I assume.

I'm intrigued....

3/30: White Fence, Twerps @ Bottom of the Hill
    3/31: Public Service Broadcasting @ DNA Lounge
    4/6: Hookworms, Disappears @ The Rickshaw Stop
    4/8: Drive Like Jehu @ The Glass House
    4/9-12: Coachella
    4/17: Swans, Angel Olsen
    4/24-26: Stagecoach

A guest curator will pick half a dozen or so bands. Last year it was Kathleen Hanna. The year before it was Tim Hecker and John Dwyer from thee oh sees

Just so everyone knows, Godspeed is only curating part of the lineup:
    http://www.sledisland.com/about/curators

The lineup will be mostly under the radar Canadian bands. There are day parties, and then 3-4 bands at every club, bar, legion hall, hot dog resyaurant, etc in the city at night. Getting into most events is easy. The St. Vincent show lasr year was full, of course, but i dont think Chelsea Wolfe hit capacity until the last minute, if at all. Last year, Dan Deacon played this really cool legion hall, and that hit capacity a couple hours before his set, but likely due to everyone hiding from the rain. There is one larger stage outside in Olympic plaza, where spiritualized, white lung, rocket from the crypt played. It was never crowded.

It's pretty chill, and there's lots of drinking going on. Just watch out for rain.
    2/28 Warpaint @ Fais Do-Do, 4/10 St. Vincent @ The Cosmopolitan, 5/2 Desert Daze, 5/8-10 Levitation

A show at Tubby dog is a must...

Oh man, I'd love a tray of Tubby Dog's fries. And they have a Burger Time arcade game.

Do they require you to keep your shoes on in all the venues?

That's it, isn't it? All those dog-poop covered shoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Fair enough, 2008 lineup had a couple of good acts, but for the most part it's true that it is a lot of under the radar bands which is fine, it's just not a fest that my friends and I ever considered attending. And yeah, Tubby Dog is a must for anyone visiting in town.
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordecai View Post
    I mean zero fucks about this lineup in 2008? Really?
    Mogwai, Of Montreal, Wire, RZA, Broken Social Scene, Tegan and Sara, Grizzly Bear, Yo La Tengo, Drive-by Truckers, José González, Extra Golden, Gutter Twins, Beans, Jonathan Richman, Chris Gheran, The Dodos, Deerhunter, Okkervil River, BBQ, Women, No Age, Dan Deacon, Qui, Pride Tiger, Wet Secrets, Carolyn Mark, Elliot Brood, Portastatic, Scott Kannberg, Whitsundays, Woodpigeon, Mother Mother, Broken West, Chad VanGaalen....
    A good friend/ex boyfriend of mine is in this band.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAmeche View Post
    Apart from the 2013 cancellation, anyone here have good/bad things to say about this one?
    I don't even think you can talk smack about 2013. It's the only year I've been and I still had a great time. Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Colin Stetson and The Besnard Lakes were all great in 2013.

The lineup gets better every year plus the venues that host these shows are all fantastic. Hifi, Commonwealth, Broken City, Dickens and Tubby Dog are all places I would highly recommend.

Didn't see any shows at Tubby Dog, but did eat there. Commonwealth was nice...saw Chelsea Wolfe there. The crowd sucked for her set, though. That was probably the only one where the crowd was a problem. A loud group of drunk assholes were talking in the back.

All the major acts get their own poster, if you're into that sort of thing. Last year's: http://shop.sledisland.com/collections/posters
    Last edited by Boourns; 02-05-2015 at 01:05 PM.

I live in Calgary and have no idea why I haven't been able to make it out to this festival. I guess my musical tastes have evolved and I now appreciate what Sled Island has to offer. I also like to get drunk and whacky and go off on my own during festivals. Which, I dunno, kinda seems weird when you're in your own town. But I'll go this year. It's too much fun to pass up.

I have a house fairly close to downtown. I should offer it up to out-of-towners.

One of my favourite weeks of the year! It's an absolute blast. Swans destroying Dickens a few years back was pretty crazy.

Definitely looking forward to this year. The Church is a beautiful venue and will be awesome to see GYBE in.

Quote Originally Posted by zizek_cums View Post
    I live in Calgary and have no idea why I haven't been able to make it out to this festival.
    I asked myself this question a couple years ago. I think it has something do with the fact that it's somewhat pricey and not highly publicized in town. That being said, I highly recommend going, even if you are on your own. You are bound to run into a few people you know along the way.

Fair enough, 2008 lineup had a couple of good acts, but for the most part it's true that it is a lot of under the radar bands which is fine, it's just not a fest that my friends and I ever considered attending. And yeah, Tubby Dog is a must for anyone visiting in town.
    Well you and your friends are missing out on a fantastically run, well put-together, and community oriented music festival that puts together a great line up for music lovers every year. Even if you don't wanna buy the pass, I suggest you attend some of the free shows (there are TONS every day), as you will undoubltably run across some great music from bands you have likely never heard of.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

St Vincent KILLED it last year. After that set I was too fucked up to sleep or do anything until it was time to pack.

She played Flames Central and wouldn't come out until they turned off all the ads flashing all over the venue.

First round of headliners are announced in about an hour.

Iceage already leaked when they announced their tour dates earlier this morning.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by wompwomp View Post
    First round of headliners are announced in about an hour.

Iceage already leaked when they announced their tour dates earlier this morning.
    http://exclaim.ca/Music/article/sled...ls_2015_lineup

I can dig it
    you are soooooooo good lookin