Thread: Free Press Summer Fest 2014

Default Free Press Summer Fest 2014

Houston’s Free Press Summer Fest has revealed its 2014 lineup. The two-day music festival takes place May 31st – June 1st at Eleanor Tinsley Park.

The lineup includes Jack White, Vampire Weekend, Wu-Tang Clan, Lauryn Hill, Deftones, The Kills, Childish Gambino, CHVRCHES, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Fields, tUnE-yArDs, Sky Ferreira, Washed Out, Cage the Elephant. First Aid Kit, The Orwells, and Flatbush Zombies.

Also performing are Zedd, Above & Beyond, Dwight Yoakam, Die Antwoord, DMX, Drive-By Truckers, Big Gigantic, The 1975, Laidback Luke, Rebelution, The Naked and Famous, Adventure Club, Lord Huron, Flosstradamus, King Khan and the Shrines, J. Roddy Walston and the Business, Anamanaguchi, Syd Author, and Poolside, among others.
    www.fpsf.com

Default Re: Free Press Summer Fest 2014

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Fields
    That would be an, um, interesting collaboration.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Not bad but not worth the 2.5 hour drive for me.

August 26-28 - Psycho LV
    September 7 - Cobalt
    September 12 - Kraftwerk
    September 17 - Melvins
    September 20 - Wolves In The Throne Room
    September 21 - Kanye West
    September 30-October 2 - ACL wk.1
    October 7 - ACL wk.2
    October 11 - Failure
    November 6 - Sia
    November 12 - Black Sabbath

The 2015 lineup dropped today:

Skrillex, R. Kelly, Weezer, Steve Angello, Major Lazer, Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals, St. Vincent, The Decemberists, Belle and Sebastian, Mastodon, Flume, Chance the Rapper, Tears for Fears, Band of Horses, Welcome to Houston, Gary Clark Jr., Charli XCX, Flogging Molly, G-Eazy, RL Grime, Brandi Carlile, Odesza, Future Islans, Tove Lo + More.

Tickets come to $162.22 after fees, and it's a two day festival. I'm not sure it's worth the drive for me, I guess I'm going to wait and see where some of these acts pop up in the ACL/Voodoo/FFF lineups before I make the leap.

that price level is sold out or about to sell out. Ugh. Now they're $183.

EDIT: Well, I was able to get 2 of the last tickets in the first price level, they were actually $163.55 each after adding USPS delivery (only option). Not too bad for this lineup.

Here's the full list of acts:

Skrillex
    R. Kelly
    Weezer
    Steve Angello
    Major Lazer
    Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals
    St. Vincent
    Flume
    The Decemberists
    Belle and Sebastian
    Mastodon
    Chance the Rapper
    Tears for Fears
    Band of Horses
    Welcome to Houston featuring Bun-B, Slim Thug, Devin The Dude, Z-Ro, Paul Wall, Mike Jones, Scarface, Lil Flip, Lil Keke, and The Suffers
    Gary Clark Jr.
    Charli XCX
    Flogging Molly
    Sturgill Simpson
    G-Eazy
    RL Grime
    Brandi Carlile
    Odesza
    Future Islands
    Tove Lo
    Rocket from the Crypt
    Lecrae
    Portugal. The Man
    Tycho
    GTA
    Glass Animals
    Pallbearer
    ILoveMakonnen
    Charles Bradley and his Extraordinaires
    Benjamin Booker
    Riverboat Gamblers
    Yung Lean & Sad Boys
    The Bright Light Social Hour
    Moon Taxi
    The Mountain Goats
    Diarrhea Planet
    Houndmouth
    The Band of Heathens
    Grizfolk
    Iceage
    Pentagram
    Ben Kweller
    Freeman
    Sarah Jaffe
    The Suffers
    Tunji Ige
    Buxton
    Robert Ellis
    Futurebirds
    Twin Peaks
    Goatwhore
    Con Brio
    Slaptop
    The Tontons
    Dpat
    Scale The Summit
    Hiram
    thelastplaceyoulook
    DJ Fredster
    Gio Chamba
    Boan
    Pope
    Night Drive
    We Were Wolves
    The Vanity
    Deep Cuts
    George West
    Guilla
    Kult Dizney
    Moji
    Catch Fever
    Second Lovers
    Prismo
    Last edited by purplecow; 02-25-2015 at 08:25 AM.
    9/8 The Kills ~ 9/22 Beyoncé ~ 9/23 Classixx ~ 9/25 James Blake ~ 9/26 Lissie ~ 9/28 Band of Skulls ~ 10/1 ACL W1 ~ 10/1 M83 ~ 10/7-10/9 ACL W2 ~ 10/11 Failure ~ 10/18 Hiss Golden Messenger ~ 10/27 El Ten Eleven / Still Corners ~ 11/2 Black Rebel Motorcycle Club / DFA 1979 / Deap Vally ~ 11/4 Adele ~ 11/5-11/6 Sound on Sound Fest ~ 11/6 Sia / Miguel / Alunageorge ~ 11/8 Bonnie Raitt ~ 11/11 Wet ~ 11/17 Warpaint ~ 12/1 Skinny Lister ~ 4/13 Sigur Rós ~ 4/14-4/16 Coachella W1

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

I hope this at least means that some of these acts are going to hit Austin for some regular shows. I still need to see St. Vincent in a solo show.

August 26-28 - Psycho LV
    September 7 - Cobalt
    September 12 - Kraftwerk
    September 17 - Melvins
    September 20 - Wolves In The Throne Room
    September 21 - Kanye West
    September 30-October 2 - ACL wk.1
    October 7 - ACL wk.2
    October 11 - Failure
    November 6 - Sia
    November 12 - Black Sabbath

Pretty good line-up top to bottom. Has anyone been to this fest before? Any insights?
    8/27 - Girl Band - Barracuda
    9/7 - Cobalt - Mohawk
    9/10 - Floating Points - Mohawk
    9/20 - Wolves in the Throne Room - Barracuda
    9/21 - Beirut - Stubb's
    10/12 - Deerhunter - 191 Toole

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    speculation strikes again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Pretty good line-up top to bottom. Has anyone been to this fest before? Any insights?
    I've been the last 2 years. Overall, it's a decent festival, and it's pretty easy to get good spots at sets. It's cool to have the Houston skyline in the backdrop, too. There are probably more food options than at ACL. I also like that it's a 2 day festival, so I really only have to find a place to stay for one night and not miss any work. They do a great job of scheduling the festival to avoid conflicts. It's also really easy to get to the festival compared to the traffic nightmares of some fests - downtown Houston is empty on the weekend so there's tons of $10 parking garages within a couple blocks walk.

The downsides are the massive amount of 16-21 year olds acting completely ridiculous and the hellish hot weather. Also, the fest is in Eleanor Tinsley Park, which has been going through some huge renovations lately. Due to this, the layout of the fest last year was a bit different and even more cramped than the year before, and since it goes along one straight line, it was a bit of a clusterfuck. However, this isn't a permanent problem, and once the renovations are done it should be way better, but I have no idea what the status is. I know part of the renovations at one point was to install a permanent stage in the park, which would be really cool.
    9/8 The Kills ~ 9/22 Beyoncé ~ 9/23 Classixx ~ 9/25 James Blake ~ 9/26 Lissie ~ 9/28 Band of Skulls ~ 10/1 ACL W1 ~ 10/1 M83 ~ 10/7-10/9 ACL W2 ~ 10/11 Failure ~ 10/18 Hiss Golden Messenger ~ 10/27 El Ten Eleven / Still Corners ~ 11/2 Black Rebel Motorcycle Club / DFA 1979 / Deap Vally ~ 11/4 Adele ~ 11/5-11/6 Sound on Sound Fest ~ 11/6 Sia / Miguel / Alunageorge ~ 11/8 Bonnie Raitt ~ 11/11 Wet ~ 11/17 Warpaint ~ 12/1 Skinny Lister ~ 4/13 Sigur Rós ~ 4/14-4/16 Coachella W1

And the price just went up another $10... $194.36 before shipping fee. Somehow I feel like they are just playing these prices by ear.

Here's my review of FPSF 2015:

Venue:
    Despite everyone being generally pissed that the festival was moved to a parking lot next to the Astrodome due to major flooding at Eleanor Tinsley Park last week, the venue was surprisingly well-organized and easy to navigate, with shade available if necessary (though not abundant). Thank god I had a blanket for foot padding on the asphalt - it also helped filter out some radiant heat. 2 of the 6 stages, including the main stage, were on grass, so that helped a bit, and there were a few trees scattered about. They had about 10 free water stations where you could refill and they were also spraying water, which was a huge upgrade from what I remember as being 2, maybe 3 water stations the past couple years (with 1 not working). No lines to get in, and as usual security was a complete breeze. Port-a-potties were decent, and there were only lines at the ones between main stages. Food was alright, but there was almost always longish lines for anything good. Too much fried/hot stuff for a summer festival. I didn't drink alcohol but the selections seemed to be Bud-centric with Tito's cocktails and free flip top wines available. We saved $40 by moving our 1-night hotel reservation to a Hampton Inn a little over a mile walk away, which was great and helped us avoid paying for parking.

Acts ranked by day:

Saturday

~ St. Vincent (A+) - My eighth time seeing her since the self-titled album came out. Oh man, we got the most insane ending of Krokodil, which I don't think I've seen her play so far on this entire tour. The woman is just absolutely flawless and looked like she was having a fucking blast. She had a sick black leather bodysuit on with polka dot cutouts. She's so perfect...swoon.

~ Charles Bradley (A-) - Fantastic showman, those screams just melt my soul. His band has improved and the whole performance just exudes love.

~ Houndmouth (A-) - If you like folky rock, you really need to check this band out before they blow up. All 4 band members sing lead and they produce some wonderful harmonies together. Lots of energy - they just look like they are meant to be doing this.

~ Sturgill Simpson (B+) - Watched/listened to most of this set from afar while my friend grabbed some food and then walked up closer for a couple songs, but Sturgill and his band were doing a very nice job.

~ Odesza (B+) - Good stuff, only saw part of this set, but the crowd was definitely into it.

~ Tears for Fears (B+) - I wanted this show to transport me back to the 80's in a majestic way, but in reality it was just alright. They wasted time covering Green Day and Arcade Fire, and I don't think they played Woman in Chains which is my favorite song of theirs. I ended up leaving to get a good spot for St. Vincent and enjoyed watching them end with 'Shout' from afar (which Annie then sampled a few lines of in her performance!)

~ The Suffers (B) - Great band, just wasn't in the mood for it so we left to see Sturgill, who was playing at the same time. I wouldn't be surprised if they become as popular as Fitz and the Tantrums.

~ Band of Horses (B) - Solid show. I guess this band just doesn't excite me anymore. They need to do something fresh.

~ Gary Clark Jr. (B) - Dude rocks, only saw part of his set, but I think he's becoming more comfortable on large stages.

~ Portugal. the Man (C+) - I was looking forward to this set, but they had a much larger crowd than I'd expected, it was hot as fuck during their set at 4 pm, and I just wasn't really feeling it. There were some good moments but in general it failed to keep my attention. Kinda disappointed.

~ R. Kelly (D+) - After running to this set while he opened with Ignition, it soon became a massive disappointment. The show quickly devolved into R. Kelly constantly shouting out to the "ladies" and spending several minutes singing some strange ballad-y riffs that didn't seem like actual songs at all. The drop-crotch pants just rounded out the fail.

~ Sarah Jaffe (D) - Yeesh, a lot of annoying feedback and really awkward loud noises. I was expecting something much more chill. Fail.

Sunday

~ Tycho (A+) - After some technical difficulties to start the set, which the band blamed on having very little time to set up, they fucking killed it. This set was fortunately less crowded than I expected it would be. I had a 'special fest moment' as the slowly setting sun became a gorgeous backdrop right behind the band. The drummer cannot be human, he must be a robot to play like that.

~ Future Islands (A) - It took me several tries to finally "get" this band. I had pretty much written them off as an act I just didn't care for. A couple months ago, I re-downloaded their album, and have been really into it lately. Now I regret skipping them at Coachella. Sam is unique in so many ways and absolutely throws everything of himself into his performance. Apparently, enough passion can make any dance move look cool. The rest of the band is good too, but he's totally the centerpiece. I'm no longer surprised they got large font billing at FFF; they deserve it

~ The Decemberists (A) - My headliner for the day, was everything I wanted. There's so much texture going on, but you're still forced to focus on Colin's encapsulating voice. The new tracks translated surprisingly well to the stage, and with some classics and highlights from the last album thrown in, I loved the setlist.

~ Brandi Carlile (A-) - My biggest surprise of the day. She exuded so much positive energy and happiness that you couldn't help but go along with it. Lovely band and fabulous acoustic harmonies. The crowd was almost dead silent paying attention.

~ Belle & Sebastian (A-) - I only stayed for 3 or 4 songs because Tycho, but they had a wonderful vibe going on and people continued walking over to their set. Sounded excellent. Not a big crowd at all.. I think more people showed up for Tears for Fears.

~ Grizfolk (B+) - Kinda poppy (they reminded me of a better version of Foster the People), the crowd was eating it up. Enjoyed this enough for a 2 pm set.

~ The Tontons (B) - Good local band with an awesome lead singer, but we escaped the burning asphalt after a couple songs for Band of Heathens.

~ Band of Heathens (B) - This was just a laying on the grass set for us, but I thought it was better than when I saw them open for another band a couple years ago.

~ Ben Harper (C+) - Dude's talented but doesn't put on the most exciting show. It was hot as fuck, so I just sat in the shade near the stage and watched the crowd, which seemed to be mildly enjoying it.

~ Weezer (C) - Maybe this was more enjoyable if you cared about the nostalgia factor, but from a purely objective standpoint, the band phoned it in. Boring.

~ Skrillex (C-) - I gave this a chance, but I still don't get it how it's any better/different than the thousand other DJs doing bass drops. I left when he asked if there were any dubstep fans out there. Dumb shit.

~ Flogging Molly (C-) - Yawn, whatever, they played over their set time while we waited for Decemberists at the nearby stage, which was annoying. I listened to a couple songs while eating and wasn't impressed.