Thread: 2015 Week 1 - Top Five Acts For Each Day

Default 2015 Week 1 - Top Five Acts For Each Day

Come on Week 1ers, Traffic on these message boards has been anemic this year...if it weren't for the stay at home crowd watching the live streams, us week 2ers, would have virtually no info at all.

Who were your favs for each day so far?
    AC / DC - Steely Dan - Ride - Fly-Lo - Raekwon & GFK - Lykke Li - Caribou - Todd Terje - Rev. Horton Heat - Charles Bradley - Eagulls - Allah-Las - Jon Hopkins

Swans - Belle & Sebastian - Jack White - Parquet Courts - Run The Jewels - War On Drugs - Perfume Genius - Drive Like Jehu - Alt-J - Bad Religion - Jungle - Kasabian - Royal Blood

Built To Spill - St. Vincent - Ryan Adams - John Talabot - Angel Olsen - Sturgil Simpson - Mac DeMarco - Joyce Manor - Orwells

Default Re: 2015 Week 1 - Top Five Acts For Each Day

Friday:

1. AC/DC
    2. Alabama Shakes
    3. Caribou
    4. The War on Drugs
    5. Interpol

Saturday:

1. Run the Jewels
    2. Jack White
    3. Kasabian
    4. Royal Blood
    5. The weeknd

Wanted to see more of Ratatat but very disappointed they came out at 11:35-11:40 for an 11:15 set given that I also wanted to catch The Weeknd starting at 11:25.

Thx for getting things going
    AC / DC - Steely Dan - Ride - Fly-Lo - Raekwon & GFK - Lykke Li - Caribou - Todd Terje - Rev. Horton Heat - Charles Bradley - Eagulls - Allah-Las - Jon Hopkins

Swans - Belle & Sebastian - Jack White - Parquet Courts - Run The Jewels - War On Drugs - Perfume Genius - Drive Like Jehu - Alt-J - Bad Religion - Jungle - Kasabian - Royal Blood

Built To Spill - St. Vincent - Ryan Adams - John Talabot - Angel Olsen - Sturgil Simpson - Mac DeMarco - Joyce Manor - Orwells

seriously, I'm glad people are having fun but it's like we're getting no info!!

Do you guys actually expect people who are at coachella to check this? just wait one more day...
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    Wouldn't it be hilarious if Daft Punk were to play, but at the end, they take of their helmets and it was Justice all along? And they're all like "We are Juusteeeece!"

Quote Originally Posted by Reeber View Post
    Do you guys actually expect people who are at coachella to check this? just wait one more day...
    Last year - Top 5 sets of the day threads were filling up to pages within an hour or two after day had ended...so based on past years, yes...everyone going must have moved to twitter

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

tom's not here t start the threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Surprised there is so little info on here (about to go back for Day III soon).

Jack White was incredibly intense and came out ready to go yesterday but felt some of the solo stuff was a little flat. The Weeknd had a backing band on scissor lifts behind him with a flat screen and sounded great. Kasabian was a huge dance party and they seemed super pumped to be playing a "smaller" set. RTJ was packed and killing it and I made the mistake of leaving to catch Alt J and they almost put me to sleep. FKA Twigs had a terribly disappointing set because you could still hear Jack White in her set. Milky Chance's lead singer was very sick and between his nerves and his flu (?) the set was kind of a mess. Hozier was very good - he's going to be a legit performer no matter what this board says.

Anyway, that's stream of consciousness on day two.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    Last year - Top 5 sets of the day threads were filling up to pages within an hour or two after day had ended...so based on past years, yes...everyone going must have moved to twitter
    Yeah I honestly like chilling by the pool after Coachella with my laptop and will wander over to the forums...gotta wind down.

Day 1:
    1 Caribou
    2 Squarepusher
    3 Jon Hopkins
    4 Sylvan Esso
    5 Lykke Li

Day 2
    1 Ratatat
    2 Tycho
    3 alt-J
    4 Chet Faker
    5 Ryn Weaver

Day 3
    1 Odesza
    2 Jamie xx
    3 Panda Bear
    4 Built to Spill
    5 Desaparecidos

Quote Originally Posted by AllAlright View Post
    Day 3
    4 Built to Spill
    5 Desaparecidos
    can't wait to hear more about these sets since they weren't streamed.

1. Ride
    2. Charles Bradley
    3. Tame Impala
    4. War On Drugs
    5. Interpol

1. Ratatat
    2. Alt-J
    3. Royal Blood
    4. Belle and Sebastian
    5. ANTEMASQUE

1. Gesaffelstien
    2. Ryan Adams
    3. St. Vincent
    4. Phillip Selway
    5. St. Lucia
    Anything is possible...

Friday
    1) Caribou
    2) War on Drugs (perfect timeslot)
    3) Flying Lotus
    4) Todd Terje
    5) Cloud Nothings

Saturday
    1) Ratatat (on the rail for this one)
    2) Run The Jewels
    3) Royal Blood
    4) Jack White
    5) Kasabian

The top 3 here all could have been #1 for the day. So great!!

Sunday
    1) St. Vincent (on the rail for this one as well, Annie stole my heart)
    2) Gessafelstein
    3) Built To Spill
    4) Florence and the Machine
    5) Claude Von Stroke

Overall, a fantastic weekend. Perfect weather, excellent sets each day!!

I hadn't heard of Gessafelstein before reading this and the other 'top set' thread. They're the dog's danglies
    Dede' Arneaux
    Come a long long, come a long long way

Friday: AC/DC, Caribou (entrancing), Azealia Banks (singing voice sounded great), Jon Hopkins (shorter set but he went right into some good stuff), Tame Impala (main stage sound did them right; sounded expansive)

Saturday: Drive Like Jehu (people, go to this set, they're a force live), Tycho (really enjoyed on the polo fields vs. in a club), RTJ, Kasabian, End of Justin Jay/beginning of Sebastien Leger (I liked the songs Justin Jay did with the live guitarist/vocalist + loved Leger)

Sunday: Touche Amore/Saint Motel (if you're getting there early, they both sounded great), Orwells (in general a ruckus), Desparecidos (intense), Brand New, Gesaffelstein (sounded great, too bad this is the last one for awhile - although he's played a ton of shows)
    Modest Mouse 8.21 // FYF 8.22 // St. Vincent 8.30 // AC/DC 9.28 // My Morning Jacket 10.11 + 10.13 // Father John Misty 10.16 // Desaparecidos 11.11 // Circa Survive 11.14

Friday:
    Caribou
    Sylvan Esso
    Alabama Shakes
    Jon Hopkins
    Flying Lotus

Saturday:
    Yelle
    Ratatat
    Tycho
    Chet Faker
    Gramatik

Sunday:
    St. Vincent
    Built to Spill
    Jenny Lewis
    Kaytranada
    Mac Demarco

Friday:
    Cloud Nothings - much better than their 2013 set; the new album translates well live. The 1-2 closing punch of No Future/No Past to Wasted Days blew me away.
    Caribou - absolutely beautiful
    Flying Lotus - I'll admit I was a little disappointed at the shorter set, but it got cooking. cool visual setup
    Azealia Banks - waaaay better than she was in 2012
    Todd Terje - I regrettably left early to get close for flylo. A bit of a slow start, but it was a party in the Gobi with plenty of room to dance.
    Charles Bradley - too good not to include

Saturday:
    Swans - it was a bummer they had a short set, but I was in a hypnotic, dazed state after they ended.
    Father John Misty - his set was almost entirely material from his new (fantastic) album. The audience howled in laughter as confused and uncomfortable Amy was serenaded to the Leonard Cohen cover.
    Drive Like Jehu - hardly anyone showed up, but they seemed like they appreciated us fans in the front who were really getting into it.
    Perfume Genius - criminally under-attended, gorgeous set.
    fka twigs - rough start, but it picked up well for the end. she is mesmerizing to watch.

Sunday:
    St. Vincent - honestly if it weren't for this set, this day would have shit.
    Built to Spill - they played in my hometown a couple months ago, but this set had better, leaner jams. Carry the Zero and Goin Against Your Mind are too fucking good.
    Joyce Manor - just a really fun afternoon outdoor set. Their songs are catchy and everyone had a good singalong during Constant Headache.
    Drake - he's got hits boyy. It would have been a great set if he had help from Nicki or Wayne though.
    Panda Bear - The visuals made a lot of people uncomfortable to the point of leaving, so that was pretty cool

FRIDAY: (Incredible day, so much so that I had to include a sixth)
    AC/DC - Amazing. Best of the weekend.
    Steely Dan - The precision, timing and technical ability of these musicians was sensational. I get that they're not everyone's cup of tea, but I thought they were a marvel to see. They sounded like a studio recording. Very, very tight performance.
    Alabama Shakes - Biggest surprise of the entire weekend, IMO. Always liked them, but I didn't expect to be so blown away. Great emotion. Brittany can belt.
    Todd Terje - Fun. Fun. More fun.
    The War on Drugs - Perhaps the most perfect (albeit obvious) fit for stage & time. They were made for Coachella sunset on the main.
    Charles Bradley - Great early day set to kick off the weekend.

Saturday:
    Jack White - Great span of his entire catalog. If you've seen him before, you know what to expect and can maybe skip him since he's been everywhere and will continue to play a bunch of shows in the coming years. I had never seen him, though, so this was great for me.
    The Weeknd - A favorite artist of mine. Love his voice. Love his drug/party/sex vibe. Stage design was subtle and simple. Thoroughly enjoyed.
    Father John Misty - A roller coaster of emotions. I swayed. I danced. I laughed. I borderline-cried. I feeled.
    Run the Jewels - Man, such energy. Was getting worn out by all the boring hip-hop/rap artists on Friday (Bronson, Ab-Soul, and crushingly, Rae and Ghostface) that we're doing the lame "when I say ____, you say ____" rhetoric. This was full throttle the entire time. Do not miss this. Just don't.
    Toro y Moi - Funky vibes. Not an all-time great performance and not nearly unmissable, but at 4:30 in the afternoon in a tent, I really enjoyed grooving to this.

SUNDAY: (Really slow day with the acts I wanted to see all going on late, so I only have four)
    Drake - So. Many. Hits. Flame me if you want, but I go nuts every time I hear it drop with 'RUNNIN THROUGH THE SIX WIT MY WOEEEEES'
    Ryan Adams - Great sunset performance. Admittedly am not familiar with his catalog, but this was great guitar music.
    St. Vincent - Only caught the first half-hour before Jamie xx, but she was SO much better live than on record. First time seeing her live, but I won't be able to plunk money down quick enough to see her again.
    Jamie xx - Don't think I stopped dancing this entire set.

only went Friday, but loved loved loved Ms. Banks and AC/DC and looking forward to seeing them both again later today.
    L7 | KMFDM | Blondie | The Kills | OSL | FYF | Riot Fest Denver | The B-52's | Cut Copy (LIVE) | LIB | Garbage | CRSSD | Wolf Alice | Azealia Banks | Beach Goth 4 | Madonna

Quote Originally Posted by footixy View Post
    Girl, you can pound your vagina so hard in those the Sahara will feel a new kind of drop...
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    ... Keep fucking that chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip

For me, it probably goes:

1 - SBTRKT
    2 - Caribou
    3 - Flying Lotus
    4 - Jon Hopkins
    5 - St Vincent