Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bestival Toronto 2015

Default Bestival Toronto 2015

Underworld as one of the headliners?

The North American pop festival market is about to get more crowded this year with the arrival in Toronto of Bestival, a British import with a tradition of electronic dance music, alternative rock and dressed-up crowds.

The new Bestival will come to the Toronto Islands — a park area in Lake Ontario, just offshore from the city’s downtown — on June 12 and 13, its founder, the D.J. Rob da Bank, said in an interview. The lineup for Toronto is not ready, but a glimpse at Bestival’s latest British edition, on the Isle of Wight in September, gives a sense of the festival’s Coachella-like aesthetic, mixing superstar dance acts (Chemical Brothers, Underworld) with some rock and pop nostalgia (Duran Duran) and rap (Action Bronson).

In partnership with the international festival giant SFX Entertainment and the Canadian company Embrace, Bestival will build a temporary space for the Toronto event that will hold up to 20,000 people a day, said Rob da Bank, a BBC Radio D.J. whose real name is Robert Gorham.

The North American festival market, once barely existent compared with that of Europe, has grown extremely competitive in recent years, after the success of events like Coachella and the dance festival Electric Daisy Carnival. New York now finally has its own annual festival, Governors Ball, and this year new ones have popped up like the Eaux Claires Music & Arts Festival in Eau Claire, Wis.

Part of Bestival’s advantage is its interest in communal spectacle. In 2010, the festival had 55,000 attendees don their own “fancy dress,” and a similar kind of stunt could be in the cards of Toronto.

“No disrespect to the festivals in North America, but a lot of them are very much stages, bars, food tents,” Rob da Bank said. “This festival will look very different. It will have theatricality, ambition.”

4/30 Four Tet b2b Floating Points @ Output
    5/1 Four Tet b2b Floating Points @ Sugar Hill
    5/2 Eric Clapton @ MSG
    5/2 Butane @ Good Room
    5/3 Kid Millions @ Brooklyn Museum

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Default Re: Bestival Toronto 2015

Damn, sucks I'll be in Toronto in August so I'll end up missing this
    Kodaline @ Granada Theatre 4/30 | Danny Tenaglia 5/16 @ It'll Do | Nicole Moudaber @ It'll Do 5/23 | The Rentals @ Club Dada 5/29 | John Digweed @ It'll Do 6/20 | DJ Pierre @ It'll Do 7/11 | Hard Summer 2015 8/1 | Sonic Mania 8/14 | Summer Sonic Tokyo 8/15 & 8/16 |

All the EDM tards of the GTA area would rather go to Digital Dreams lulz
    Kodaline @ Granada Theatre 4/30 | Danny Tenaglia 5/16 @ It'll Do | Nicole Moudaber @ It'll Do 5/23 | The Rentals @ Club Dada 5/29 | John Digweed @ It'll Do 6/20 | DJ Pierre @ It'll Do 7/11 | Hard Summer 2015 8/1 | Sonic Mania 8/14 | Summer Sonic Tokyo 8/15 & 8/16 |

I'm wondering if this is going to be strictly EDM or if they'll have an eclectic lineup like its UK counterpart. Hoping for the latter...

Well Rob said it would be "a classic Bestival line-up waiting to thrill, intrigue and party!” So I would expect eclectic. My predictions for headliners are Bjork and Morrissey.

That would certainly be eclectic! Outside of the Firefly proximity, Mr. Da Bank also said it'd be a clash of UK and Canadian acts, so Morrissey makes sense.

Give me some funk and some classic hip-hop -- two genres woefully underrepresented in the Canadian festival landscape -- and I'm there.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Tangent.

I am trying to think of what foreign festivals have tried to expand to the US now. Tommorowland/World, Bestival, Rock in Rio are all happening this year. I recall Sonar trying to start something in Chicago, was that a flop? I recall a vain attempt to use the Truck festival brand to spwan a boutique festival in the US. Any I have missed?

Really not sure what they are all trying to achieve by getting involved in an oversatured foreign market, even if they do do things better in their home countries than we do here. Talk about a difficult battle to fight. Although Tommorowworld was somehow successful. apparently quite successful, wasn't it?

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

the US may be over-saturated, but that's been the case in europe for a long time. add to that the growing similarity of NA fest lineups and i think it definitely makes sense for a bunch of brands to give it a shot. not all will be successful, but some definitely will.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

it reminds me a bit of the US trying to enforce democracy in countries that didn't ask for it.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    Tangent.

I am trying to think of what foreign festivals have tried to expand to the US now. Tommorowland/World, Bestival, Rock in Rio are all happening this year. I recall Sonar trying to start something in Chicago, was that a flop? I recall a vain attempt to use the Truck festival brand to spwan a boutique festival in the US. Any I have missed?

Really not sure what they are all trying to achieve by getting involved in an oversatured foreign market, even if they do do things better in their home countries than we do here. Talk about a difficult battle to fight. Although Tommorowworld was somehow successful. apparently quite successful, wasn't it?
    Creamfields was a failure when it expanded into the US in the early 2000s

If Underworld is booked for this, then I might try and make this happen. Bjork would be pretty excellent too.
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    Tangent.

Didn't know we yanks have annexed Toronto already.

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotek View Post
    Didn't know we yanks have annexed Toronto already.
    lol. good point.

replace "US" with "North American" in my previous post.

Once I heard about this, I thought it would be perfect for Basement Jaxx, since they've played the UK version.
    They have an Hollywood Bowl show earlier in that month. Maybe if they did a few other shows between then, it's possible...

What if Blur plays
    Canadians care about them right??

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    What if Blur plays
    Canadians, no matter how much they deny it, their tastes are more in line with America's tastes than they are willing to admit.

So in short, no.

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    What if Blur plays
    Eh, I can't picture Blur booking a show before they play Hyde Park on the 20th of June. They went out of their way to announce the Hyde Park gig with a good deal of fanfare along with the new album, it'd be a shocker if they played some smaller festival beforehand.
    Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    Eat a dick on that or did I make too much sense for your mind to take

Lineup? I thought it was coming out today...

5/2 Eric Clapton @ MSG
    5/2 Butane @ Good Room

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

I just checked their site. Doesn't say anything about a line up release on Feb 25th. Where did you get that from?
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Rob Da Bank tweeted that it's now coming out on Monday.

I've decided if this line up has Underworld on it, and prices aren't outrageous, I am in for this fest. I have family in Toronto I've been meaning to visit for years and this seems like the perfect excuse.

You're such a fucking gremlin.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    I just checked their site. Doesn't say anything about a line up release on Feb 25th. Where did you get that from?
    https://www.coachella.com/forum/show...=1#post2979108

5/2 Eric Clapton @ MSG
    5/2 Butane @ Good Room

Fuck off Hiro
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyInHeaven View Post
    Devin - how does it feel to know that there are still more women in the world that would fuck me at this very moment than would fuck you?

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    Lineup? I thought it was coming out today...
    you missed information posted to twitter? i'm shocked.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    I've decided if this line up has Underworld on it, and prices aren't outrageous, I am in for this fest. I have family in Toronto I've been meaning to visit for years and this seems like the perfect excuse.
    If we weren't just getting back from Primavera, I'd be in for sure. Rob and Josie put on a really great show. They put a lot of money into the décor and the environment.

Last edited by captncrzy; 02-26-2015 at 11:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyInHeaven View Post
    Devin - how does it feel to know that there are still more women in the world that would fuck me at this very moment than would fuck you?

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    you missed information posted to twitter? i'm shocked.
    Well, Hiro can't give Rob Da Bank a blowie to get on the guest list at Output, so he doesn't bother following him.

Lineup confirmed for Monday. https://www.facebook.com/BestivalToronto

FLORENCE + THE MACHINE / NAS

FLUME / CARIBOU / SBTRKT (DJ) / FLOSSTRADAMUS / JAMIE JONES / ROBIN SCHULZ / ZHU / CLEAN BANDIT / WAVVES / JAMIE XX / RUDIMENTAL (DJ)/ OWEN PALLETT / KEYS N KRATES / BORN RUFFIANS / OMAR SOULEYMAN / GRANDTHEFT / CASHMERE CAT / BAKERMAT / JUSTIN MARTIN / DUSKY / SKREAM / ROBERT DELONG / DJ TENNIS / CASSY / SHAMIR / LANE 8 / NATHAN BARATO / MATOMA / MUSEUM OF LOVE / HUNTER SEIGEL / SHAUN FRANK / KILL THEM WITH COLOURS / HUMANS / TOPS / TEI SHI / WHILK & MISKY / RIVER TIBER / HARRISON / COLEMAN HELL & MORE

http://www.liveinlimbo.com/2015/03/0...announced.html

Would be a fun weekend, but not enough for me to justify the travel costs.