Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Burning Man 2015

Default Burning Man 2015

Cause Dani asked.

Ticket info is up. And registration has begun.

http://tickets.burningman.org

Default Re: Burning Man 2015

of all people to start a thread about burning man. le sigh
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Why are presale tickets more than double the price?

August 1 - Human Bodies
    August 15 - Metz
    September 1 - Gwar
    September 14 - GY!BE
    September 19 - Chelsea Wolfe
    September 20 - Titus Andronicus
    September 25 - Kraftwerk
    October 1 - The Zombies
    October 13 - Autechre
    October 14 - Ghost
    November 7 - FFF/Mayhem/Watain/Rotting Christ
    March 24 - David Gilmour

Those expensive ones help supplement the cheaper ones later. like you are guaranteed a ticket if you pay that. but the cheaper ones are more lotto chances of getting them. that is the gist of what i took away from the various things i have read. i could be totally wrong. their site explains it.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    of all people to start a thread about burning man. le sigh

sigh...

Burning Man needs a hate theme.

My camp will be back this year. Come find camp orange for a tasty frozen treat. We have a giant banana stand that is easy to find.
    you are soooooooo good lookin

seriously. Fucking hippies.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tubesock Shakur View Post
    Burning Man needs a hate theme.
    This is a major sub theme every year.

Fuck yer burn.

Jesus christ I'm so sick of people losing their shit over the "747" project. They're not bringing the whole plane, just the upper fuselage, and it's going to be a big clubby art car too full of bros and hot chicks for anyone else to get on. Sure it's impressive to see an art car that big but it'll most likely be another annoying Purple Palace/Christina type douche car.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    Those expensive ones help supplement the cheaper ones later. like you are guaranteed a ticket if you pay that. but the cheaper ones are more lotto chances of getting them. that is the gist of what i took away from the various things i have read. i could be totally wrong. their site explains it.
    the standard tickets aren't supplemented. it's the low income tickets that the pre-sales supplement. low income tickets are based on financial need.

How does one qualify for the low income tickets?

How many of the people who qualify are named Scooter, live out of their Subaru Outbacks and climb the sweet gnar for a living, at least between coffee and kombucha binges? I know that guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    This is a major sub theme every year.
    By
    Fuck yer burn.
    I really want to see if I can find a camp for friendly drug addicts who don't like being touched by strangers. If not, I'm going to start one.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    a little tl;dr, but: http://tickets.burningman.org/low-income-ticket-program

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post

How many of the people who qualify are named Scooter, live out of their Subaru Outbacks and climb the sweet gnar for a living, at least between coffee and kombucha binges? I know that guy.
    You just described Tucker Gumber.

August 1 - Human Bodies
    August 15 - Metz
    September 1 - Gwar
    September 14 - GY!BE
    September 19 - Chelsea Wolfe
    September 20 - Titus Andronicus
    September 25 - Kraftwerk
    October 1 - The Zombies
    October 13 - Autechre
    October 14 - Ghost
    November 7 - FFF/Mayhem/Watain/Rotting Christ
    March 24 - David Gilmour

I can't imagine the fucking horrible tedious bullshit the low income ticket screeners have to sift through these days.
    There are of course a bunch of folks that genuinely deserve them but by and large the folks trying to get them add nothing to the festival.
    And the rest of us wind up paying to subsidize a few thousand assholes on a 36 hour whippet bender.

This is far from egalitarian.

If I pay $800 fucking dollars to supplement some low income loser, they better put in a few hours of work doing everybody's dishes at my camp.
    How many animals can you find in the 2015 Coachella lineup?

Is it even worth going to Burning Man anymore?
    | Sonic Mania 8/14 | Summer Sonic Tokyo 8/15 | Hostess Club w/ Thom Yorke's Tomorrow's Modern Boxes, Spiritualized, Jon Hopkins, Matthew Herbert, etc 8/15 | Danny Howells @ It'll Do 10/17

Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    This is far from egalitarian.

If I pay $800 fucking dollars to supplement some low income loser, they better put in a few hours of work doing everybody's dishes at my camp.
    This is the entitled attitude that people claim has ruined the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotek View Post
    Is it even worth going to Burning Man anymore?
    definitely not

How little do you have to make per year to qualify for low income? I don't make a lot but it's not fast food worker pay.
    NEW SIG

Which is why I have never been / never will go. I'm entitled to be entitled, and I don't need to be judged by a pack of dusty fucking neo-hippies for wanting to get what I pay for.

you don't need to attend for us to judge you.

Which is why I have never been / never will go. I'm entitled to be entitled, and I don't need to be judged by a pack of dusty fucking neo-hippies for wanting to get what I pay for.
    yeah good move. All the judging going on up there makes the whole thing intolerable. You've got everyone out there figured out pretty well so you're right, there's really no need to actually go. Be sure to walk around your next Coachella with your eyes closed lest the sight of all the BM grant funded art work around you make you nauseous.

Thank you Judge Judy and Judge Brown.

I rest my case, I don't even go to your event - so I am not entitled to my opinion and have been judged accordingly.

I'm not ashamed to say that I would rather participate in good 'ole free market capitalism, democracy, and a clearly defined social class structure. Why anybody pays good money that is making a small group of elite people rich, based on some crazy egalitarian / anarchistic set of 10 principals, is beyond me. It is the greatest con job of all time. "You guys pay for it, and do all the work, and clean it all up, and we'll walk away with millions, cleverly disguised as payments to bogus non-profits and LLCs."

Just do the math. Your $800 dollar presale ticket supplements a $190 low income ticket. There are 4,000 of both available. The regular ticket is $390. $390-190 = 200. $390 + 200 = 590. $800 - 590 = $210.

You just paid a $210 premium to make sure that you got your ticket before everybody else, all in the name of helping the less fortunate. Don't try to disguise it - there is an elitist structure here that has all of the proletariat thinking that this utopian world is so much better than the real one. Some people are too stupid or drugged up to realize it. Others don't care and go just to laugh at the freakshow. The sad thing is that most average burners are pretty cool people.
    Last edited by dj12inches; 01-22-2015 at 03:45 PM.

What part of "too rich to care" doesn't register? It's not "in the name of those less fortunate" for most people who buy them. It's about people who don't want to deal with rush of the main sale, which is fraught with complications each year and is over in 30 minutes. Some people too busy to sit through it, some are just not able. You can bypass all that shit by simply paying a premium, regardless of whether you give a shit about low income people. So your indignation on their behalf is wasted. That $200 is nothing compared to the rest of the money they're spending on other BM related expenses.

But when you mention "proletariat" in this (or to be honest, any) context you flag yourself as someone whose opinion on the subject is uninformed and just isn't really worth considering. Your assumptions about these people and their goals of "utopia" or whatever you want to call it are absurd. It's just a festival, it lasts a week for most, that's it.

You also are misinformed about the organization and where the money goes. Nobody walks away with millions. The fact that YOU seem to know that it's a bogus LLC and the government doesn't is hilarious. Look into it. Look up how much the government is charging for land use. How much local governments are charging to support and police it. Watch where the money is spent on local infrastructure and improvement projects. Every dollar is accounted for. I know folks in the organization and can guarantee you nobody is getting rich off this.

The fact that YOU seem to know that it's a bogus LLC and the government doesn't is hilarious. Look into it. Look up how much the government is charging for land use. How much local governments are charging to support and police it. Watch where the money is spent on local infrastructure and improvement projects. Every dollar is accounted for. I know folks in the organization and can guarantee you nobody is getting rich off this.
    I did look it up. I checked out the 990 forms that were filed in 2012 for the 401(c) "Burning Man Project" and there is no way that any of it made sense. No other documents have been filed, and there are no reports to the IRS since then. That seems a bit odd to me. I heard that the land payment and expenses to the BLM were were roughly 1.5 million - a hefty sum, for sure. But the ticket sales according to reported attendance figures and ticket prices was somewhere around 27 million. I have read estimates that the year round expenses of the organization are around 20 million per year, which seems reasonable. That still leaves millions that are not accounted for.

I don't believe that hiding behind a 401(C) prevents individuals from personally profiting. I think that it is wrong for Robert J. Mazzuca of the Boy Scouts to pocket 1.9 million in salary for a year. You say that people should watch where the money goes....but since nobody is filing accurate reports and much of the money is funneled into projects where profits are not accounted for, I don't think that this organization is being honest. If you say they are, I'll take your word for it.

Becoming a playground for those that are "too rich to care" is exactly why people say that this festival has been corrupted. Doesn't seem to stop anybody from going though.

I find it amusing when people who have never been to burning man talk about how it has been corrupted or changed.

Not my words....

I am sure that everybody involved has a good time. I don't disagree, I just won't support the LLC or Non-profit that runs the event. I'd rather take part in the smaller, local, "run by the people for the people" events:

http://sdyoutopia.com/ <----- Like that one

Pretty funny, an article came out today echoing my thoughts on this subject: http://fortune.com/2014/08/29/burnin...les-big-costs/

"Indeed, the influx of wealth is a big point of contention among long-time attendees. Tech executives, in some cases, arrive in private jets and spend their time in luxury camps catered with sushi and tended to by personal valets. "

I'll stay out of your thread......you are right, it's your party, not mine.
    Last edited by dj12inches; 01-23-2015 at 01:33 PM.

Not my words....
    I didn't claim that they were your words. you're still talking about it an awful lot. you seem awfully invested in an event that you have never been to.