Thread: 2014 Lost In The Year End Shuffle

Default 2014 Lost In The Year End Shuffle

Now that most of the year end lists are out, which albums, songs are u surprised didn't have more of an impact?

For Me

Albums -
    Silver Mount Zion - Fuck Off Get Free!
    Neneh Cherry - Blank Project
    EMA - The Futures Void

Songs
    The Antlers - Palace - seriously, this song is gorgeous. Top 5 material on year for me
    Elbow - New York Morning
    Dum Dum Girls - Lost Boys And Girls Club - best Jesus And Mary Chain evocation I've heard in years.
    Black Keys - Weight Of Love - not a fan of album but this DSOTM referencing opener is one of their all time best.
    Dogs / Jim Wise / Ben's My Friend - Sun Kill Moon - still floored by how much MKs infantile behavior has cost him in terms of year end reception.
    Liars - Pro Anti Anti
    Last edited by IlliniQ; 12-17-2014 at 09:09 AM.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Default Re: 2014 Lost In The Year End Shuffle

completely agree about silver mt. zion. i'll also throw in joyland by tryst.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Le Butcherettes - Cry is For the Flies

Didn't even know this was out until someone told me. It's a solid album and they deserve more praise.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Posse - Soft Opening

5/1: Giegling Showcase @ Oakland
    5/2: Sleater-Kinney @ The Masonic
    5/8: Talker, Patricia @ f8
    5/28: Refused, White Lung @ GAMH
    5/29: Spoon @ The Fox Theater, Oakland
    5/29: Max Cooper EMERGENCE @ PW
    5/30: Neutral Milk Hotel @ Pappy & Harriet's
    6/2: Kiasmos ft. Olafur Arnalds, Rival Consoles @ The Independent

Banks's Goddess was my album of the year, but I don't think I've seen her on a year end list yet. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart's album was really great, too, but has only got a few nods.

Drive-By Truckers is my favorite album that's missing from year-end lists.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Elbow, First Aid Kit, Against Me!, Lykke Li, Liars, EMA are a few of the records I liked quite a bit from this year that I see missing from a lot of lists. 2014 is just an odd year overall, I haven't been able to shake the feeling.

I am with ya with Against me! I thought that new album was great!
    you are soooooooo good lookin

Rival Consoles - Sonne
    Vermont - Vermont
    Legowelt - Crystal Cult 2090
    Christopher Owens - A New Testament
    Last edited by guedita; 12-17-2014 at 10:54 AM.

5/1: Giegling Showcase @ Oakland
    5/2: Sleater-Kinney @ The Masonic
    5/8: Talker, Patricia @ f8
    5/28: Refused, White Lung @ GAMH
    5/29: Spoon @ The Fox Theater, Oakland
    5/29: Max Cooper EMERGENCE @ PW
    5/30: Neutral Milk Hotel @ Pappy & Harriet's
    6/2: Kiasmos ft. Olafur Arnalds, Rival Consoles @ The Independent

I also have not see eagulls on too many lists or the men's tomorrow hits which were both stellar in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Rival Consoles - Sonne
    Vermont - Vermont
    Christopher Owens - A New Testament
    Ooohhhh, I liked Christopher Owens country leaning direction. Really solid record, I can't help but feel he is lost without Chet. He was so vital to what Chris Owens was doing with girls, and everything he has done since just feels smaller, and intimate. It isn't a bad thing, it just doesn't have the same magic that those two Girls albums and one EP had.

Did anyone listen to the Whirr album? I get a feeling a lot of you would enjoy that record.

Posse - Soft Opening
    Agreed on both of these.

Quote Originally Posted by gillster17 View Post
    I also have not see eagulls on too many lists or the men's tomorrow hits which were both stellar in my opinion.
    Both of these are fine, as it Cheetahs, but I'm not terribly surprised to see them missing from lots of these lists especially since most have been top 50 instead of 75 or 100.

I'd add:
    Amen Dunes - Love
    Bo Ningen - III
    Lee Gamble - KOCH (every time I see Actress' album on a list I always wonder why this didn't make it instead, as it pretty much does the same kind of thing musically but executed much better)
    Kangding Ray - Solens Arc
    Inigo Kennedy - Vaudeville
    Last edited by nosurprises12; 12-17-2014 at 01:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

The Men's album is decent enough music but it literally left no impression on me. I went back to it a few times and I enjoyed it while it was on, but I didn't think about i after. I am very disappointed with how forgettable that record is. Same goes for the new Black Keys record, but that's another thing entirely.

Whirr, and La Dispute are two really good records from 2014. Anyone that is a fan of MBV, Slowdive and basically any band that sounds shoe gazy will be a fan of whirr I'm guessing. It's one of the guys from Deafheaven. I'm sure it's been discussed on this board, but I didn't see anything about them.

Popcaan - Where We Come From

Quote Originally Posted by Sushov23 View Post
    Whirr, and La Dispute are two really good records from 2014. Anyone that is a fan of MBV, Slowdive and basically any band that sounds shoe gazy will be a fan of whirr I'm guessing. It's one of the guys from Deafheaven. I'm sure it's been discussed on this board, but I didn't see anything about them.
    The Whirr album is good but won't end up on any year-end list I make. I didn't realize it was Deafheaven-related!
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    If you can't make the deadline you cant make the deadline. I didn't stop playing pokemon last night for nothing.

I agree on the EMA and Eagulls records. Silver Mt. Zion never seem to get any end-of-year recognition, no matter how good their releases are.

The Whirr/Deafheaven connection is pretty minimal. It was started by the former bass player who helped with the recording of the first Deafheaven album, Roads to Judah. Not George or Kerry, the two songwriters in the band.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I started the year off having high hopes for Whirr and their friends Nothing (who Whirr/former Deafheaven bassist Nick Bassett plays with live I believe) but after both bands put out their albums, my interest dove. It's started to hit me that a lot of punk and post-hardcore bands trying to reinvent themselves are doing the whole shoegaze grunge thing. Cloakroom is another soundalike. The new Title Fight album sounds like its heading that way. The pools oversaturating itself within that scene.

The Men generally have good songs. But there's been performance issues for me. There's a flat timidness behind some of it. I totally agree on the Fuck Off Get Free. There are some big moments in that one.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

I have seen The Men around four times and since they have kinda countried out their sound the performances have lost me a bit, however I still think they write some great tunes. Even with the farther departure from their original punk fueled albums I still think Tomorrow's Hits was a highlight for the rock genre for this year, up there with ought, cloud nothings and eagulls.

That Whirr album, pretty as it is, sounds pretty pointless to me. I mean, if I want to listen to Slowdive, I'll listen to Slowdive. The shoegaze revival is massively tired at this point.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I heard Whirr on a split they did with Nothing, but didn't realize they had a full length this year as well.
    last.fm
    5/15-17/15 - Psycho CA @ Observatory // 5/22/15 - Laura Jane Grace @ Hollywood Forever Cemetary // 5/27/15 - Neutral Milk Hotel @ Warner Grand Theater
    6/3/15 - Sufjan Stevens @ Dorothy Chandler // 7/15/15 - Shellac @ Regent // 7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy

I haven't seen Cibo Matto's Hotel Valentine on many lists at all. I thought that album was brilliant and one of the smarter things I heard all year.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasoline Groove View Post
    I haven't seen Cibo Matto's Hotel Valentine on many lists at all. I thought that album was brilliant and one of the smarter things I heard all year.
    I'm totally with you on this one. I don't think I'm making a list this year, but Cibo Matto's Hotel Valentine is def top 20 of the year for me. Deja Vu is one of my favorite songs of the year! The 10-15 minutes I saw of their set opening for Tune-Yards were alot of fun too.

Yeah, I saw them at Hardly Strictly and then they played at the Chapel later that weekend and both shows were good but the Chapel show was really good. Missed the Tune-yards/Cibo show though and it sounded like a good one.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Oh wow, this Whirr album IS great! I don't mind these bands sounding derivative as long as the tunes are good. Like John said, it won't be at the top of a list for me, but I will definitely be listening to this a lot. it gets quite a bit sludgier and heavier than the older bands they get compared to as well.
    last.fm
    5/15-17/15 - Psycho CA @ Observatory // 5/22/15 - Laura Jane Grace @ Hollywood Forever Cemetary // 5/27/15 - Neutral Milk Hotel @ Warner Grand Theater
    6/3/15 - Sufjan Stevens @ Dorothy Chandler // 7/15/15 - Shellac @ Regent // 7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy

When I talk about The Men's performances I mean their recorded performances. Although I though them seemed tired at First City Fest. Are they only s 4 piece now?
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Chad VanGaalen - Shrink Dust. Most underrated/ unfairly ignored record of the year by a far margin.

Also, Death From Above 1979's The Physical World. What the fuck. I haven't seen it on a single list. Yet, most people I talk to like it nearly just as much as You're A Woman... or even more. I wasn't expecting to see it top anyones list, but to have it absent from every list? It doesn't make any sense to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Chad VanGaalen - Shrink Dust. Most underrated/ unfairly ignored record of the year by a far margin.

Also, Death From Above 1979's The Physical World. What the fuck. I haven't seen it on a single list. Yet, most people I talk to like it nearly just as much as You're A Woman... or even more. I wasn't expecting to see it top anyones list, but to have it absent from every list? It doesn't make any sense to me.
    Chad VanGaalen might be the most underrated artist/band of the past 5 years. I do not get how he has slipped through the cracks with so many good records, his three most recent releases are all great.