Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The World Music Parlor

Default The World Music Parlor

I'm sure some people on here have some sort of appreciation for types of music that end up getting classified as "world music," and now here's a thread with which to impart valuable knowledge of the obscure, forbidding sounds of different cultures to us xenophobes.

To keep things interesting, it's probably best to focus on unique regional music, preferably made my brown people. I think we can safely leave off music from the UK, seeing as how most everyone has made up their minds about the Beatles, bagpipes and the Welsh by now. Let's also avoid Daft Punk, M.I.A., Bjork, Gogol Bordello, yr favorite Japanese DJ who sounds exactly like Paul Oakenfold, and all the other stuff that's been fully integrated into American culture. It would be interesting to hear about bands who incorporate traditional music or ethnic influences into the type of stuff we're used to (rock, pop, electronica, hip hop, etc.), though, so if you know about India's best punk band, please do share.

Default Re: The World Music Parlor

Talvin Singh
    Up,Bustle and Out
    Tony Allen
    Ryuichi Sakamoto
    Jah Wobble
    Tino
    Kid Loco
    United Future Organization
    Black Mighty Orchestra
    Azymuth

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan.

Hippie

Jedi Mind Tricks, the Legacy of Blood album specifically. It's philly hip hop with Middle Eastern, and Asian music blended in. While I think Violent by Design is the better album all around, Legacy of Blood has more variety from different cultures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMXSTaD-oyE
    Last edited by Backwater; 10-06-2008 at 02:26 AM.

Fela Kuti
    Femi Kuti

African music in general is great. Mondo soukous!

also, a number of Hawaiian slack key guitar players whose names have way too many vowels and apostrophes for me to take on this early in the morning.

So, being helpful means not just listing acts, but telling people why they're listed. It's difficult, I know, but then there's a reason behind the post.

Cui Jian is this amazing chinese rock musician. He's been the public face of Chinese rock for years, and is called the godfather of the scene over there. He takes western rock influences, like rockabilly, punk and hip hop, and mixes them with traditional chinese sounds and instruments. In that sense he sort of reminds me of Manu Chao, except Cui Jian has some songs that put him to shame. Surprisingly, all his stuff is on iTunes. Check out the song Yi Wu Suo You (Nothing To My Name) and you'll be hooked.

Also, Amadou and Mariam are a great blind Malian guitar duo. They started by playing acoustic Malian guitar pop, but have slowly taken in outside influences, thanks largely in part to Manu Chao producing their last, and best, album. Check out Diamanche E Bamako for a good primer into their style.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I really enjoy Peter Gabriel's project: Big Blue Ball. It's an eclectic compilation of 15 years of recordings by world artists, just came out this year. It features Gabriel on some of the tracks but not all and it also has Sinead O'Connor and Deep Forest guesting on a track each. There are a host of previously unheard of (to me) world musicians. It's a treasure.

For a whole movement that incorporates western influences into a traditional sound, check out the Tropicalia stuff from 1960s Brazil. Caetano Veloso and Gilberto Gil were the leading lights as well as the most publicly known figures, but Os Mutantes, Gal Costa, Jorge Ben and Tom Ze all have amazing releases as well. The sound is a mixture of 60s psychedelia, 50s Bossa Nova, found sound experimental music and whatever else they felt like incorporating. It sounds great today, but it's also going to sound slightly familiar as it's influenced so many modern, popular artists.

The first hidden gem that comes to mind is the pop/rock/dance/reggae fusion group from Australia, Blekbala Mujik. The band sings partly in English and partly in Kriol, which is a creole language based on English and Australian Aboriginal languages. Their music mixes traditional songs and narratives with the latest in syncopated grooves. If you like the world pop sound of championed to the west by Paul Simon check out Blekbala Mujik. This was the album that introduced me fully to their sound...

More later...
    Last edited by BlackSwan; 10-06-2008 at 09:35 AM.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by real talk View Post
    I really enjoy Peter Gabriel's project: Big Blue Ball.
    ooh, I was reading about this. I haven't gotten around to looking it up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    somebody stole your image!

since discovering it, I have been a big supporter of 1 giant leap. they travel all over the world, with each musician listening to whatever has been recorded so far and contributing to it. there are some beautiful pieces blending sounds from all sorts of countries. there are a few pop songs too.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    somebody stole your image!
    Bastards! Fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Also, Amadou and Mariam are a great blind Malian guitar duo. They started by playing acoustic Malian guitar pop, but have slowly taken in outside influences, thanks largely in part to Manu Chao producing their last, and best, album. Check out Diamanche E Bamako for a good primer into their style.
    I saw them over Chromeo at Lolla, and I was blown away. ENOUGH SAID, so AWESOME. People on here should listen. and Manu Chao is fucking pure greatness everyone on this board who doesn't like him is just kidding themselves.

I saw them at Coachella in '06 and they were great. They're also a good place for people who are interested in African guitar music to start, because they're very accessible and the recordings sound good, which is one problem with quite a bit of the old Soukous, High Life and Rai recordings you tend to find.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    So, being helpful means not just listing acts, but telling people why they're listed. It's difficult, I know, but then there's a reason behind the post.
    Thank you. This is for discussion as well as recommendations. World music is such a huge quantity it's kind of criminal it gets overlooked so often.

The tropicalia stuff I've heard is all pretty great, as well as the afro-beat. Pitchfork did a list of 100 afro-beat songs awhile ago and I downloaded it. It's almost all amazing stuff. It rocks so much harder than a lot of American funk, which is no easy feat. Tropicalia and afro-beat seem to be the most common first world music choices for Americans to absorb, which make sense since there are such clear connections to popular music forms while still sounding a bit exotic. Not to mention David Byrne's obsession with them. I'm going to start checking out some of those Luaka Bop releases, and while I'm at it, most of the Soul Jazz catalog. Those seem like treasure troves.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Thank you. This is for discussion as well as recommendations. World music is such a huge quantity it's kind of criminal it gets overlooked so often.

The tropicalia stuff I've heard is all pretty great, as well as the afro-beat. Pitchfork did a list of 100 afro-beat songs awhile ago and I downloaded it. It's almost all amazing stuff. It rocks so much harder than a lot of American funk, which is no easy feat. Tropicalia and afro-beat seem to be the most common first world music choices for Americans to absorb, which make sense since there are such clear connections to popular music forms while still sounding a bit exotic. Not to mention David Byrne's obsession with them. I'm going to start checking out some of those Luaka Bop releases, and while I'm at it, most of the Soul Jazz catalog. Those seem like treasure troves.
    your right on SoulDischarge! I'm a huge fan of Soul Jazz and it's hard to beat.. I feel like I was supposed to own that label with all the diversity from A Certain Ratio to Sandoz to Jackie Mittoo and on and on... I'm sure you already know but check out Honest Jons Records as well...

I type slow but I will try to go back and give a description of what I listed..
    I knew I wouldn't get away with it! :-0 SIDESTEPPER!!!

For Brian Eno-esque or Future Sound of London - Lifeforms-era ambient IDM from Japan I would suggest Susumu Yakota. While I can only vouch for his works Grinning Cat and Sakura. He blends an eclectic production palette with an underlying sensibility of dance floor hooks that only make them self apparent with repeated listens or a close ear... definitely worth a listen.

Soul Jazz does some great stuff. I like Luaka Bop's reissue work quite a bit, but I'm not too familiar with modern Brazilian music.

Also, for the more modern act blending styles, Extra Golden is pretty great. They're a band comprised of three american indie rockers/professors of culture and three musicians from Africa. They get a pretty awesome blend of post rock, indie and African guitar music. Both their albums are great, and their live show is insanely good.

I don't know Honest Jon Records. I'll check it out. I would really like to catch up on modern Brazilian music because I know there's some wild shit coming out of there, what with baile funk and whatnot. Pitchfork posted this song some time ago by Telepathique that's pretty fun:

I'd like to find out more about what's going on in Brazil these days.

And "Kodomotachi" by Susumu Yokota is pretty much the most beautiful song I've ever heard.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

does anyone know any good Russian music/musicians?

it's great to hear some people appreciate music as such. I only know a little about a whole another world and It's so incredible in terms of it can't be touched! people with a open mind will benefit... artist like ORCHESTRA BAOBAB, PAPA WEMBA,FRANCISCO AGUABELLA,LILA DOWNS,AZIM ALI,TALVIN SINGH etc. are incredible.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Holy shit why would anyone ever fucking come in THIS thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    it's for people who aren't into shit bands like The Toadies or think Crystal Method invented drum machines...

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Thank you for being

For reggae fans, here's some international stuff you may not have heard, but is worth checking out...

Seeed... An eleven piece reggae/dancehall band from Berlin. The main album I would recommend is their "New Dubby Conquerors" LP. It's the most rootsy and contains one of the greatest songs about herb... ever.

O-SHEN... I orginally discovered studying in the Pacific Islands, an artist from Papua New Guiena who blended hip-hop, pacific island musical traditions and reggae with a postive message. Son of a missionary... his background maybe questionable, but an interesting artist none the less. "Iron Youth" was the only album I ever heard from him, judging by his later releases it looks like he only further exploited his pacific islands ties.

Rocky Dawuni... The first reggae artist I ever heard that sounded so much like Bob Marley, that it freaked me out a little... not in a bad way though. The first album that got me into him in the 90's was "Crusade". Originally from Ghana, it seems that he has slowly gained some notoriety in the states since them. He has a second LP, "Book of Changes" that I recently found very randomly that isn't too bad either. If like reggae at all you should def check his first album out.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    For reggae fans, here's some international stuff you may not have heard, but is worth checking out...

Seeed... An eleven piece reggae/dancehall band from Berlin. The main album I would recommend is their "New Dubby Conquerors" LP. It's the most rootsy and contains one of the greatest songs about herb... ever.

O-SHEN... I orginally discovered studying in the Pacific Islands, an artist from Papua New Guiena who blended hip-hop, pacific island musical traditions and reggae with a postive message. Son of a missionary... his background maybe questionable, but an interesting artist none the less. "Iron Youth" was the only album I ever heard from him, judging by his later releases it looks like he only further exploited his pacific islands ties.

Rocky Dawuni... The first reggae artist I ever heard that sounded so much like Bob Marley, that it freaked me out a little... not in a bad way though. The first album that got me into him in the 90's was "Crusade". Originally from Ghana, it seems that he has slowly gained some notoriety in the states since them. He has a second LP, "Book of Changes" that I recently found very randomly that isn't too bad either. If like reggae at all you should def check his first album out.
    Nice... I will check em' out...
    This made me think of CEDRIC IM BROOKS & the Light of Saba. Which is a fucking amazing record... a must have for any Reggae/dub head

btw Blackswan do you like Mutabaruka? Outcry is a great record.

I used to have this record on vinyl (2 LPs):

I wish I still had it. or could find a digital copy of it somewhere.

(also bryan if you squint real hard you'll see Holger Cuzkay's name in the middle of that artist list)

(also someone mentioned Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, he's on there too)

also, I support this thread. and you all should check out some King Sunny Ade'.
    Last edited by TomAz; 10-21-2008 at 03:57 AM.

Is anybody into that, eh, Middle Eastern style music? I wouldn't call it chanting, but it's a specific type of vocal technique. I just don't know what it's called.
    "Beer summit '09"

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    Incase you can't find it, it's called Obamachusetts.
    State Tree: The Man-Eating Tree.
    State Bird: The Dragon.
    State Song: Bring Da Ruckus.
    Population: Awesome.
    Abortions: Yes.

Amadou and Mariem and Kokono were both amazing at Coachella. I hope Coachella continues getting a few awesome world music performers each year. I would like even more.

Seu Jorge (also great at Coachella) is one of my favorite acts around.

I love world music, but I can't name a lot of acts off the top of my head. I used to listen to the Buddah Bar lounge at work all the time. Everything from that collection was excellent.

I really love African music in particular
    Last edited by whynotsmile99; 03-10-2010 at 12:08 PM.
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.