soo fucking hard to rank this shit
1. DJ Shadow
3. Flying Lotus
5. Jeff Mangum
soo fucking hard to rank this shit
1. DJ Shadow
3. Flying Lotus
5. Jeff Mangum
perhaps we did brah. about 6'3", athletic build, average sized bangs.. i was smoking yall out as much as i could.
1. Radiohead (was front rail for this and when they started to play There There I almost cried. I actually cried when the beginning of Exit Music started).
2. The Hives (front rail for it. I hugged Howlin' Pelle. It was great. Great energy, and they kicked ass).
3. Pulp (Jarvis always puts on a good show, I was near the front for it).
4. Black Lips (I crowdsurfed and it was by far my favorite daytime performance).
5. tUnE-yArDs (She is super talented, great voice, good crowd, and a nice energy).
HM: Black Keys, Fitz and the Tantrums, Justice, Modeselektor, Arctic Monkeys, Bon Iver, Wolf Gang.
The Head and The Heart/Dawes/Gary Clark Jr/First Aid Kit/Florence and The Machine
biggest regret - skipping Black Keys and missing Fogerty. EITS and Refused were just OK.
1. At The Drive In
2. Dre, Snoop & Guests
4. Flying Lotus
5. The Rapture
Honorable Mentions goes to Mt. Eden. First time catching these guys and they were a lot of fun. Dropped a lot of good tunes and the girlies were loving it. I really loved the vibe that Pure Filth Sound brought too.
2. Dre and Snoop
3. The Black Keys/The Weeknd
4. Jeff Mangum/Pulp
5. Refused/GIRLS/Childish Gambino/Andrew Bird/First Aid Kit
But honestly, every performance I saw delivered and was awesome in a way. Except Justice being super late, not awesome...
Last edited by swhite423; 04-25-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Radiohead, Dre & Snoop with entourage, Florence and The Machine-wow, M Ward, Gary Clark JR
The wind blowing around us made for a tingling effect...
sorry I missed:
head and the heart--caught them at treasure island...love them
first aid kit--super impressive vocals on these beautiful girls
This was a great Coachella all-around, it's hard to pick 5:
- Dre & Snoop
- Company Flow
not in order:
Atari teenage riot
dre and snoop
HM- ATDI, le butcherettes, bon iver, and azealia banks
Ears are still ringing...Im gonna write up a full review of my weekend eventually...
This is from Week 2 mind you.
Flying Lotus - by no means a seamless set but shit was going off the hook by the end when Earl and Gaslamp came out
St. Vincent - Had the gobi losing its mind at the end of her set too. Also dug the killer theremin solos. =)
Radiohead - Mellow but flawless/captivating set fuck the haters.
NOISIA - it was empty in the Sahara give them a better god damn time slot. Flawless/devastating set
Beats Antique - Had not made it through a show of theirs in the past for one reason or another but they totally surprised me.
Refused - Dennis still has an absolutely incredible set of pipes...and is such a cool dude.
Breakbot - Disco Fu-fu-funk. sick.
Justice - (ok i'll admit it)
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - incredible sounds, errie atmosphere.
Madness - fun set no doubt.
WORST/Biggest let downs
At The Drive In- one of my absolute most treasured bands just really let me down. Well, let me be more specific. Omar and Cedric let me down...Omar didnt give two shits and just stood in place (i know his mom passed but come on do it for her then)...And Cendric didnt yell a single word...not ok for At the Drive In songs....Blah next
Greg Ginn And The Royal What The Fuck Was That Balls.....prolly the wackest thing ive ever heard in my life...sound guys tried helping him but he was oblivious.
Swedish House Mafia - Fuck GV for putting this guys up on an altar like that...just awful cheese all day...plus im pretty sure they arent doing a thing on stage...except maybe an arm raise every now and again. sure the lights were cool, but fuck that nonsense.
Last edited by Apex17; 04-25-2012 at 08:37 PM.
God Speed You Black Emperor
At The Drive In
Explosions In The Sky
Would paid the price of the ticket ( and the airfare etc.. ) just to see refused and they did not disappoint !
Santigold (largely because I successfully made it on stage)
Coachella 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 (1|2), 13 (2), 14 (2), 15(1)
Lolla 03, 06, 07, 08
Outside Lands 08, 10, 11, 12
Nerd Project: www.coacheller.com
So fuckin sad that Gotye got that kind of reaction both weekends. He's an amazing musician and has three great albums and just cause Somebody started playing on the radio this shit happens? I expected more Coachella. He was put in a very tough timeslot vs. the Weeknd and others but still. Allreports i heard we no dancing and everybody basically wanted hime to play the song.
A similar thing happened with M83, as well... Once they played Midnight City... the crowd cleared the fuck out before the last song! (Which was too bad for them, cause the last tune was Couleurs... which is just one hell of a dance party)
No Trance, No Care...
Kaskade was cool
Weekend 2 top 5 for me
1. GY!BE - never seen them before, might never get a chance to see them again. They did not disappoint. Atmosphere - perfect; sound - perfect; crowd (~400 people) - perfect. Just a fucking treat.
2. Radiohead - Had just seen them at SB, where they were great, but the set list was just so-so; loved the set list on Saturday night at Coachella. About 1 second in to Kid A . . . well, let's just say, it was game over for me. I mean, this stretch is ridiculous: Gloaming, Weird Fishes, Pyramid Song, YAWA, Nude, Kid A. Jeez, just killed me. Then a few songs later, Feral into Idioteque. And then the second encore of Ghost, Exit Music, Android. Hard to envision how a RH fan wouldn't be completely emotionally spent after that set. And the band just brought it.
3. Justice - I love the new album (minority opinion, I know). I thought they mixed the new and old tracks together seamlessly. This set was exactly what I was looking for at that moment: A giant fucking dance party on the the main stage.
4. Modeselektor - These guys done fucking brought it. Sadly, I left a few minutes before the end to get to Dre & Snoop. In retrospect, not a great idea, as I missed Thom. Oh well, even still, they were great.
5. (tie) St. Vincent & Gary Clarke, Jr. - My two biggest surprises of the weekend. Both just killed and the tents were hot as fuck for both but everyone in there was loving it. Was a little disappointed to leave Mangum early, but within about 2 seconds of being at St. Vincent, that went away.
HM: The Rapture/M83 - played back to back in the Mojave, had a great spot for both, and man, so much energy. Never had seen the Rapture before and they were intense but super fun at the same time. Amazing set. M83, I thought was great too, but truth be told, getting to hear Teen Angst live in a packed Coachella tent, by itself would have been a highlight for me, so the rest was just gravy.
HM: AraabMUUSIK - didn't end up being what I was expecting but the dude's got skills, pretty dark dubstep set with a couple DnB tracks mixed in, all done live(ish).
HM (kind of): Datsik - was not nearly as terrible as I was expecting. Checked out some of Amon Tobin, wasn't feeling it. Got dragged to SHM, couldn't even make it through a song. Strolled over to Datsik and didn't hate it. Better live than recorded and had some cool shit going on on stage. For that, I'll give the dude HM.
2/7/2015 - Catz N Dogz + Magda - Lot 613
2/27/2015 - Droog + Cassy - Lot 613
3/20/2015 - Omar S + Bicep - Lot 613
4/17/2015 - 4/19/2015 - Coachella Wk2
1. Dre and Snoop
4. Flying Lotus
5. Death Grips
1. Jeff Mangum
2. Black Keys
5. Gary Clark, Jr.
HM: Buzzcocks, Florence + The Machine, Shins, Wild Flag, First Aid Kit, Arctic Monkeys, James, Yuck
2. At the Drive in
HM: M83, Fitz & the Tantrums, Godspeed, DJ Shadow, FlyLo
3. Azealia Banks
5. First Aid Kit
Oh shit. So once Encore 2 started with Give Up the Ghost, my bf and I started to leave assuming Paranoid Android would be next (loved the performance but wanted to beat the crowd and we were there the wknd before) We had just gotten past the ferris wheel when I suddenly heard the soft sounds of Exit Music and we SPRINTED BACK! No exagerrations, if you saw a crazy lady dragging her man by the hand back to main stage that was me.1. Radiohead (was front rail for this and when they started to play There There I almost cried. I actually cried when the beginning of Exit Music started).
That being said...Top 5, Electric boogaloo
3. Jeff Mangum (playing Daniel Johnston bumped him up)
Random list of shows I'll never remember to edit
Stephan Jacobs in Do Lab W1
Dre and SNoop
oh shit is that six don't flame me...
Coachella '05 '06 '07 '08 '09
Housse de Racket
The Big Pink deserves an honorable mention.
1) Bon Iver
3) Gary Clark Jr - starting his set at 4:20 was freggin' hilarious. One particular guitar solo, in the slower song with falsetto vocals... Wow. Wow. Wow.
5) Manchester Orchestra
not so much performances, but moments: twinkles of euphoria, gratitude and all-over physical body chills.
1. wild beasts - all the king's men. i was super excited to see them. i knew nothing about them, other than their two most recently released album's music. i was so pleasantly surprised, especially during this song (and they aint bad on the eyes either, after watching tom fleming sing this song: immediate crush. not your typical hottie, but the way he sang...)
2. pulp - right before they took the stage & common people. i waited for them not more than twenty minutes, and then the lights went down. for whatever reason i realized at that second how close i was going to be = watery eyes. jarvis cocker looks like an irs attorney and acts like a rock star. and the coda for common people - awesome!
3. azealia banks - 212, bambi, l8r + outfit. her set was all-around great from the second she got onstage (best dressed of the weekend, in my opinion).
4. justice - stress. i saw a dance production called "cleaopatra, c.e.o." on the 54th floor of some building in downtown LA. they used this song for a fight scene and i took notice. i never thought they'd play it and sometime during their set, their speakers go red (like the eyes of the guys in the battle) and i flipped!
5. dr. dre & snoop dogg - all those songs i was clearly there for from both artists.
*∞. radiohead - exit music (for a film). as soon as the song started... THANK YOU so much to the crowd for respecting the moment and singing once the band came in. i could hear the sahara tent in the distance which i actually did NOT mind (proof that i was at coachella). but when thom and the crowd sang the line "now we are one in everlasting peace!" by far, THEE best moment of the weekend for me.
honorable mentions: amon tobin and dj shadow: for the sheer music-art-instillation aspect to your show. and the sounds, just as awesome.
2. yes, yes she is.
and couleurs was pretty much the only reason i wanted to see M83. personally, i was stoked they all left. i was outside the tent for 95% of the performance until then when i got really close.
Last edited by cuauhtemoc723; 04-27-2012 at 01:57 PM. Reason: grammar & format
st. vincent ● glass animals ● perfume genius ● kasabian ● swans ● the war on drugs
azealia banks ● lykke li ● sylvan esso ● the ghost of a saber tooth tiger ● todd terje and the olsens
kimbra ● chet faker ● stromae ● florence and the machine ● yelle ● gesaffelstein
wishlist, still: wishlist, still: missy elliot●oingo boingo●talking heads●grace jones●george clinton●fiona apple
sweat.x●jamiroquai●space●hooverphonic●los fabulosos cadillacs●la santa cecilia
3. Dr Dre and Snoop Dog
5. Other Lives