Thread: Best way to get to the festival from LA?

Default Best way to get to the festival from LA?

We are three people from england , and will be flying into LAX and staying there a couple of days but then need to get to the festival from there. Does anyone know what the best route for us will be? We looked at the greyhound bus to indio but it goes to downtown LA and we were a bit scared! Looked at amstrak train and bus thing too to palm springs, but not sure how far palm springs is from the festival? Any advice would help thanks.

Default Re: Best way to get to the festival from LA?

Flying carpet with a monkey named Abu

Its a straight shot down the 10FWy

If you have the $$$ rent a car, you need a car when visiting Cali

Quote Originally Posted by olivia01 View Post
    We are three people from england , and will be flying into LAX and staying there a couple of days but then need to get to the festival from there. Does anyone know what the best route for us will be? We looked at the greyhound bus to indio but it goes to downtown LA and we were a bit scared! Looked at amstrak train and bus thing too to palm springs, but not sure how far palm springs is from the festival? Any advice would help thanks.
    take a cab...it's cheap

Quote Originally Posted by jmaze View Post
    take a cab...it's cheap
    Do not take a cab.

Just checked the Amtrak for you and it would cost about 110 TOTAL for you 3 (Roundtrip from LA to Palm Springs)

From Palm Springs to Coachella I'm estimating like 20-30 miles so that would be an expensive cab ride also. ($70-90) I would recommend you find someone here to carpool with.

What weekend are you guys going? I'll be driving to Coachella from LA and probably will have space so maybe I can help you guys out.

Take the 5 down to San Clemente, follow the signs to Fallbrook, once you hit i15 go south until the 76. Take the 76 east until you get to the 79. Take the 79 north and in Aguanga it will split, go east on the 371. The 371 will hit the 74, just go east on the 74 and within 15-20 minutes you'll get to the 111 in palm springs. Then just take the 111 east all the way to Indio,you'll avoid all the traffic of people trying to get into the parking lots.
    AC/DC-Ride-FlyingLotus-ActionBronson-WuTangLtd-Interpol-TameImpala-LykkeLi-Caribou-Squarepusher-Kimbra-ReverendHortonHeat-SylvanEsso-Haerts-Eagulls-LosRakas-GhostofASaber

JackWhite-Ratatat-RunTheJewels-Swans-Antemasque-Bostich+Fussible-BadReligion-Tyler-WarOnDrugs-AltJ-FKATwigs-Tycho-Kasabian-DriveLikeJehu-Jungle-CleanBandit-GaslampKiller-ParquetCourts-Yelle-Radkey

St.Vincent-Florence-BrandNew-Desaparecidos-OFF-ChicanoBatman-Mě-NightTerrorsOf1927-Drake... nah, just kidding, Fuck Drake

How high are you right now?
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

We're renting a car and driving down. It's about two and a half hour drive!
    Friday
    Modest Mouse, Passion Pit, Of Monsters and Men, Earl Sweatshirt, Aesop Rock, The Neighborhood

Saturday

The XX, Phoenix, Grizzly Bear, Violent Femmes, Two Door Cinema Club

Sunday

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Vampire Weekend, Grimes, Unicorn Kid, Wu-Tang Clan

Man confusing responses all over the place. First, downtown LA is not that bad. It may be a little rough around the edges but it has undergone considerable revitalization. There are quite a number of good bars, food options, and a decent nightlife. However, the cheapest would be trying to find someone to give you a ride to the festival. It seems many people are willing to help out if you search the board some.

Palm Springs is about 45min-1hr drive from the festival. You would need to either set up rides or get a shuttle pass to the festival. Not recommended.(first weekend is sold out so you will have to find someone on craigslist.com or on this board to buy one)

or

take a hot air balloon straight to the polo grounds

Don't be scared of downtown LA, it's undergone a revitalization and LA is actually one of the safest big cities in America. You'll see some crackheads but those exist everywhere. Plus you can take the green line from LAX to the blue line to the red line, and the red line will take you to union station which is where the Greyhound will pick you up.

Quote Originally Posted by olivia01 View Post
    The area around the downtown greyhound station is fine.

Palm Springs is still a long way from Indio. There's a local bus service - http://www.sunline.org/ - but their closest bus approach is to Jefferson X 111, about 3 miles away from the venue. (Albeit, hitchhiking that last 3 miles shouldn't be too hard).

Were I carless, I'd take the greyhound.

Are you staying in Palm Springs or at the Festival?

I looked at Amtrak's info and there are bus stops in Palm Springs, Palm Desert, Indio, and La Quinta all cities near and around the Festival. Indio and La Quinta seem to be the two cities closest to the Festival, but would still require additional transportation to the Festival.

I would advise you to check out Google Maps and have a look at the cities surrounding Coachella so you can make your plan.

Also, if you do take the train from Union Station, it's pretty safe. I've taken the train from Union Station a few times and enjoy visiting the building.
    Last edited by SoccerRyot; 04-02-2012 at 11:24 AM.
    2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2012.1, 2013.1, 2014.1, 2105.1, 2016.1, 2017.2

Quote Originally Posted by SoccerRyot View Post
    Are you staying in Palm Springs or at the Festival?

I looked at Amtrak's info and there are bus stops in Palm Springs, Palm Desert, Indio, and La Quinta all cities near and around the Festival. Indio and La Quinta seem to be the two cities closest to the Festival, but would still require additional transportation to the Festival.

I would advise you to check out Google Maps and have a look at the cities surrounding Coachella so you can make your plan.

Also, if you do take the train from Union Station, it's pretty safe. I've taken the train from Union Station a few times and enjoy visiting the building.
    The La Quinta and Indio Amtrak stops are bus stops; you get to Palm Springs and transfer.

The La Quinta bus stops at the shopping center at WashingtonX111; that's about 4 miles from the venue.

The Indio bus stops at the corner of Monroe and 111, which is closer to the venue.

The thing is that all the inbound traffic will be on Jefferson, though, so your chances of hitchhiking are better from La Quinta.

rent a car. only feasible option.

ride a fixie. only feasible option.
    Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Coachella will come out of the closet announcing it's gay. Most will applaud it while some will sell their passes.

Head south and get a phone with navigation. pretty simple

hey, we are going the second weekend are you? That would be so good if we could grab a ride!!

I was wondering what is the best way to drive to car camping. Some people were saying to go on the 111? I've always just gone on the 10. Is the 111 faster?

amtrak takes you right to indio, just 10 minute cab ride away