View Poll Results: How do you rate this year's lineup?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Approve – I love it!

25 26.32%
  • Approve – It's OK

31 32.63%
  • Average

30 31.58%
  • I Disapprove

7 7.37%
  • I'm Disgusted

2 2.11%

Thread: ~~ Official 2015 Lineup Approval Rating ~~ MARCH

Default ~~ Official 2015 Lineup Approval Rating ~~ MARCH

Year 7 of the ‘Official’ 2014 Coachella Lineup Approval rating.

How does the approval rating of the lineup change over time?

And how does it compare to the approval rating during the same time periods from prior years.

That’s what we are going to find out. This poll will expire at the end of Feb and after that, we’ll track the approval rating once per month until the festival itself.

Scale is 1 – 5, and I will publish the weighted average in each of the subsequent polls.

Feb results below:

Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Default Re: ~~ Official 2015 Lineup Approval Rating ~~ MARCH

I'm still so torn on this one. It looks so weak on paper in terms of billing power and surprises, and yet every day is pretty much packed with must sees. I'm still a little let down but with the right scheduling, I'm sure I'll be extremely enthusiastic post fest.

Think all of us are torn. Really is going to come down to how GV does the timeslots for me. I have a nasty feeling my weekend is going to be conflict crazy with alot of downtime. Hopefully not the case but ehh im camping, ill be drunk, i wont care
    2014 Wk1 , 2015 Wk2

AC/DC | FlyLo | Squarepusher | Raekwon & Ghostface Killah | Gorgon City | George Ezra | Keys N Krates

Royal Blood | GLK | SBTRKT | Bad Religion | Hozier | Ratatat | Tycho

J.E.S.+S. | Annie Mac | Vance Joy | ODESZA | Gesaffelstein | Panda Bear

Quote Originally Posted by M0D3Z View Post
    Would really make Hell a less enjoyable place. I want to be able to see Satan as he tortures me.

HUGE jump from last month. I'm still discovering more and more bands on this lineup for whom I'm quite excited, but there's still no big personal "headliner" here. It's going to be kickass, but unless there's a major late add such as The Prodigy, Underworld or Massive Attack, its kind of bittersweet.
    Anything is possible...

I'd have to agree. This years required me to do some research and digging around youtube to become familiar with some of the names. There's plenty of great artists to look forward to, but Twatty's right, there's no personal headliner to go crazy for. I'm sure post-fest some feelings will be different.
    FRI: The Ghost of a Saber Tooth Tiger|Allah-Las|Cloud Nothings|Pete Tong|Alabama Shakes|Todd Terje|Interpol|Caribou|Tame Impala|Fly Lo|AC/DC|Nero
    SAT: Radkey|PHOX|Royal Blood|Chet Faker|Glass Animals|Run the Jewels|Tycho|The War on Drugs|Ratatat|Belle & Sebastian|Jack White
    SUN: The Orwells|Night Terrors of 1972|Mo|Sturgill|St. Lucia|Kygo|Kaskade|Madeon|Florence+the Machine|St. Vincent|ODESZA

Average. A very high number of acts in the small print that I am genuinely excited about. Fewer in lines two and three than I am used to and I am not overly excited about any of the headliners, although I may watch AC/DC and / or Jack White.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    And to be fair to fikus, violent strangulation is one of his better qualities.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Being dead is literally the only way anyone on the planet could give less of a shit about you. You look like Farrah Fawcett's melted corpse.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Average. A very high number of acts in the small print that I am genuinely excited about. Fewer in lines two and three than I am used to and I am not overly excited about any of the headliners, although I may watch AC/DC and / or Jack White.
    I've come to the conclusion that many of my must-sees have been found in the last 3 lines for each day (PHOX, Allah-Las, St. Paul, etc). Hardly any of the big names are worth arriving early for. I must say that I am excited to see what AC/DC's set will be like, due to the fact that the chances of me going out of my way to see them anywhere else are slim to none. Meh, still excited nonetheless.
    Last edited by conners; 03-03-2015 at 09:05 PM.
    FRI: The Ghost of a Saber Tooth Tiger|Allah-Las|Cloud Nothings|Pete Tong|Alabama Shakes|Todd Terje|Interpol|Caribou|Tame Impala|Fly Lo|AC/DC|Nero
    SAT: Radkey|PHOX|Royal Blood|Chet Faker|Glass Animals|Run the Jewels|Tycho|The War on Drugs|Ratatat|Belle & Sebastian|Jack White
    SUN: The Orwells|Night Terrors of 1972|Mo|Sturgill|St. Lucia|Kygo|Kaskade|Madeon|Florence+the Machine|St. Vincent|ODESZA

Quote Originally Posted by conners View Post
    the chances of me going out of my way to see them anywhere else are slim to none
    This is really how I've approached the festival from the start. Most of the acts that I see on the polo fields are those I'm interested in but would likely never seek out independently. And there's plenty of those this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

2013 was the arguably the worst Coachella and it somehow has the highest ratings.....
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Keep on chugging. 788 more posts and you can submit your application.
    TRAVI$ SCOTT for 2015

It's GSW Hooper. As in Golden State Warriors...

Quote Originally Posted by gswhooper View Post
    2013 was the arguably the worst Coachella and it somehow has the highest ratings.....
    I totally disagree. If Red Hot Chili Peppers was The Rolling Stones or something, 2013 would be in serious contention for GOAT. That thing was so stacked you had Passion Pit at 11 and Of Monsters and Men at 17...both awful bands but can you imagine where they would have ended up on this year's weak 2nd lines? So many excellent, excellent bands and the most stacked Saturday I've ever seen at this festival.

My hype has gone down a lot. Mainly looking forward to Friday, the other two days in retrospect seem to be very lackluster. Let's just hope there's no horrible conflicts cause the only real bands I'm looking forward to are most likely gonna play at the same time.

The conflict for me will play a huge part on how I see this years festival turning out. Friday is tied with Saturday for potential, in my own opinion, but Sunday is looking like the most deflated day of all. Although, after doing plenty of research, there's enough bands worth being in attendance for that I may have otherwise overlooked upon release of the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    I totally disagree. If Red Hot Chili Peppers was The Rolling Stones or something, 2013 would be in serious contention for GOAT. That thing was so stacked you had Passion Pit at 11 and Of Monsters and Men at 17...both awful bands but can you imagine where they would have ended up on this year's weak 2nd lines? So many excellent, excellent bands and the most stacked Saturday I've ever seen at this festival.
    100% agree.
    My 4th Annual Coachelectro (Coachella 2015) Mix
    Featuring 80 Acts Playing The Fest This Year In Just An Hour + Free Download

https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...hella-2015-mix

2013 was one of the better lineups, especially with the reunions and rare acts (which are lacking this time around). Unfortunately, most were clusterfucked on Friday night. But still, so stacked.

But this year? No changes in mind for me. My least favorite rapper and classic rockers atop a flimsy medium font collection. Under that, this year is the first time I didn't have a single discovery from the research, just a lot of cringing. It's on par with an average Lollapalooza, where there are only a handful of acts I want to see each day, but that's it. And that isnt enough to justify the very high price of attending. It's all good, though, because it frees me to try new fests.
    2/28 Warpaint @ Fais Do-Do, 4/10 St. Vincent @ The Cosmopolitan, 5/2 Desert Daze, 5/8-10 Levitation

See maybe I have been just musically oblivious but I discovered a lot of stuff I dig on the lineup. Chicano Batman, Sturgill Simpson, Until The Ribbon Breaks, Allah-Lahs, The Ghost of a Saber Tooth Tiger, St. Paul and The Broken Bones, and Phox were just a few discoveries I have enjoyed (keep in mind, I am basically a year behind on music so a lot of these newer acts I have yet to see live or listen to). Then there are a lot of other names I am familiar with that I am stoked to see: St. Vincent, Caribou, Todd Terje, Parquet Courts, Tycho, Chet Faker, Raekwon and Ghostface, Squarepusher, Charles Bradley, Reverend Horton Heat, a good chunk of the Yuma lineup... Those are all right up my alley. That's just off the top of my head.

This lineup, much like 2012, has grown on me a lot after researching.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    And to be fair to fikus, violent strangulation is one of his better qualities.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Being dead is literally the only way anyone on the planet could give less of a shit about you. You look like Farrah Fawcett's melted corpse.

What with the release of these sub-par lineups, April and Post-Fest will get a much higher rating.

My vote is still "Approve - It's Ok", though I'd like an option between that and "Love It"
    My 4th Annual Coachelectro (Coachella 2015) Mix
    Featuring 80 Acts Playing The Fest This Year In Just An Hour + Free Download

https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...hella-2015-mix

After digging deep into this years lineup, I've come up with plenty of low billed acts that I'm looking forward to vs. many of the sub headliners. Guy named most of them: Phox, TGoaSTT, St. Paul, and of course Allah-Las. Adding The Orwells, St. Lucia, Claude VonStroke, plus many more, and we have some very strong under acts this year.
    I can't help but enjoy this lineup as we approach the festival. So many acts I couldn't believe made it on there, ones that I thought I'd never have the chance to see. In comparison with many other festival lineups this year, I'm appreciating Coachella's more and more.

Yeah this thing is growing on me. I'm pretty excited.

Especially after seeing everything else this year fall flat, it makes you realize that Coachella brought a lot of interesting stuff to the table that the other festivals just couldn't quite manage.

With plenty of new additions to the experience of the overall festival, I feel quite satisfied. Granted there's no Prodigy, or Daft Punk, I see this year being the year of the undercard. Watching where most of these low billed acts end up on next year festivals, like ODESZA going from Do Lab to every major festival this year, makes 2016 the glimmer of hope for a powerhouse lineup.