Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Thread Wherein We Review Other Threads

Default The Thread Wherein We Review Other Threads

Thread: theklein25 reviews albums

Review: Although built upon a strong premise and some dramatic promise in the initial posts, this thread soon reveals itself to be yet another disappointment, deflated by a turgid self seriousness that has become all too common amongst contemporary threads. Many of the high profile posters deliver phoned in performances that rely too heavily on unearned sentimentality and are lacking in spontaneity. Despite the noble efforts of a dedicated few involved to add a dash of ingenuity to what could have been a wild thrill ride of a thread, the whole thing sinks under the weight of predictable thread patterns and lack of charisma.

Spirit animal rating: hippopotamus.

And to the inevitable jackass who tries to review this thread (my money's on TomAz), notice the word "other."
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Default Re: The Thread Wherein We Review Other Threads

I'm waiting for the thread wherein we review other threads that review other threads.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Coachella Junkie

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Thread: theklein25 reviews albums

Review: Although built upon a strong premise and some dramatic promise in the initial posts, this thread soon reveals itself to be yet another disappointment, deflated by a turgid self seriousness that has become all too common amongst contemporary threads. Many of the high profile posters deliver phoned in performances that rely too heavily on unearned sentimentality and are lacking in spontaneity. Despite the noble efforts of a dedicated few involved to add a dash of ingenuity to what could have been a wild thrill ride of a thread, the whole thing sinks under the weight of predictable thread patterns and lack of charisma.
    unfortunately this is very accurate.

August 1 - Human Bodies
    August 15 - Metz
    September 1 - Gwar
    September 14 - GY!BE
    September 19 - Chelsea Wolfe
    September 20 - Titus Andronicus
    September 25 - Kraftwerk
    October 1 - The Zombies
    October 13 - Autechre
    October 14 - Ghost
    November 7 - FFF/Mayhem/Watain/Rotting Christ
    March 24 - David Gilmour

let go of all expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

i want Tommy to review the King of Limbs thread.

August 1 - Human Bodies
    August 15 - Metz
    September 1 - Gwar
    September 14 - GY!BE
    September 19 - Chelsea Wolfe
    September 20 - Titus Andronicus
    September 25 - Kraftwerk
    October 1 - The Zombies
    October 13 - Autechre
    October 14 - Ghost
    November 7 - FFF/Mayhem/Watain/Rotting Christ
    March 24 - David Gilmour

Can I join the secret u know what that isnt a secret now?

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Agreed.

Also I saw Kevin Costner at dinner tonight. I am not making this up. I am in New Orleans and a group of us went out to eat at Restaurant August and there he was, he and another gentleman, chatting at their table. He is very gray but otherwise much the same as you remember from such hits as "Bull Durham", "Field of Dreams", and "For the Love of the Game".

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    i want Tommy to review the King of Limbs thread.
    we can have multiple reviews, right?

Thread: King of Limbs...

Review: The moment the latest Radiohead album was announced fans had a sanctuary in which they could masturbate over it, but this thread is not a place to enjoy yourself. Filled with denial and confusion over an album that left so much to be desired the thread has become a way to enjoy disliking things. Egocentric fans pleasuring themselves through the cold reality that coachella was not actually special after all has turned obsession into near masochism. Those that still enjoy the band watch in terror as people turn something beautiful into something ugly. A valiant attempt is made to slap people in the face and bring them back to reality with a never ending series of hot female asses but the effort proves to be futile. If you ever want to give up hope this thread will suck it right out of you. It is a gathering place for those in limbo. A waiting room for hell.

Spirit animal rating: maggot infested rat carcass.

Thread:

It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin A Thread About Dating

You ever wonder what a bunch of people who frequently post on an internet message board have to say about their travails in love? No, neither did I, but this thread provides you more information than you'd ever want on the subject. We are, collectively, a neurotic, ill-equipped bunch of people who can give advice but can't take it. This thread is nominally entertaining sometimes, and occasionally provides little glimpses of insight and useful advice, but usually is just a collection of self-conscious people telling others to stop being so self-conscious.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Thread:

It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin A Thread About Dating

You ever wonder what a bunch of people who frequently post on an internet message board have to say about their travails in love? No, neither did I, but this thread provides you more information than you'd ever want on the subject. We are, collectively, a neurotic, ill-equipped bunch of people who can give advice but can't take it. This thread is nominally entertaining sometimes, and occasionally provides little glimpses of insight and useful advice, but usually is just a collection of self-conscious people telling others to stop being so self-conscious.
    Not to mention awful, awful advice being given to people. Clueless nerds giving advice to other clueless nerds. jackstraw is the only person in the last 10 pages or so of that thread who has even the slightest idea as to what he's talking about.
    8/05 - Wilco - Greek (?)
    8/06 - Tame Impala - Hollywood Forever
    8/13 - Alabama Shakes - Greek (?)
    8/14-16 - Berserktown - Observatory
    8/19 - The Jesus and Mary Chain - Fonda (?)

Quote Originally Posted by LtLoisEinhorn View Post
    Once Morrissey realizes he's on a poster/lineup with an act called 'Horse Meat Disco' he will Cancel.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    jackstraw is the only person in the last 10 pages or so of that thread who has even the slightest idea as to what he's talking about.
    I dont really read that thread but I wanted to see the advice jackstraw had to give. This is what I came across first:
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    I use anal sex as an icebreaker.
    I'm just going to stop looking and assume he is a genius and leading everyone in the proper direction.

God help everyone.

I don't read it much either, but he's been the voice of reason a few times when it was tough stuff that people needed to hear. I swear, if there was some kind of automated response that merely said "man up and grow a pair" every time someone asked for advice, those seeking it would be infinitely better off.
    8/05 - Wilco - Greek (?)

Once Morrissey realizes he's on a poster/lineup with an act called 'Horse Meat Disco' he will Cancel.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I think people give to many fucks and try to hard. Maybe I'll go and tell them that. Maybe.

Agreed.

Also I saw Kevin Costner at dinner tonight. I am not making this up. I am in New Orleans and a group of us went out to eat at Restaurant August and there he was, he and another gentleman, chatting at their table. He is very gray but otherwise much the same as you remember from such hits as "Bull Durham", "Field of Dreams", and "For the Love of the Game".
    Thread: This Post

Review: While TomAZ claims to have seen Kevin Costner at dinner tonight, his emphatic insistence on the actual factual truthfulness that he saw Kevin Costner belies any sincerity to the original claim he set out to cultivate. His encounter of the experience of seeing Kevin Costner -- if one is willing enough to abandon themselves into the blatant fictionality of the endeavor -- rests mostly on the laurels of his ability to recount a handful of barely memorable Costner films. The omission of the time-honored classics such as Dances With Wolves and Tin Cup,which even the most pedantic Costner fans can agree upon, implies TomAZ's unwillingness to succumb to true fandom and respect.

Rating: An aged turtle basking in the sun out of necessity rather than unadulterated enjoyment.

7/30: The Chemical Brothers @ The Armory
    7/31: Worker/Parasite @ Underground SF
    8/7-8/9: Outside Lands Music Festival
    8/8: Holly Herndon @ The Chapel
    8/11: Screaming Females @ The Rickshaw Stop
    8/14: John Roberts, Laurel Halo @ f8
    8/20: Sales @ The Rickshaw Stop
    8/22-23: FYF Fest
    8/29: King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard @ The Rickshaw Stop

No really.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    I swear, if there was some kind of automated response that merely said "man up and grow a pair" every time someone asked for advice, those seeking it would be infinitely better off.
    That advice is often - for me, at least - useless and discouraging. When I come across a chorus of "it's really easy, you just..." it makes me feel awful. If it's supposed to be so easy why can't I do it? What is wrong with me? and that is counterproductive.

Yes, I realize that this is about personality differences and that your statement will encourage some people.

I agree that Jack is usually very reasonable, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    If you can't make the deadline you cant make the deadline. I didn't stop playing pokemon last night for nothing.

Also Cara is right, Tom. Insisting you're not lying suggests you don't believe it yourself.
    If you can't make the deadline you cant make the deadline. I didn't stop playing pokemon last night for nothing.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Review: While it initially started as a relatively broad and enjoyable romp through the modern cinematic world with occasional homage being paid to some seriously obscure avant-garde work, it appeared to become overrun by the weight of its own pomposity midway through the second act. Any sort of simple enjoyment to be taken away from it was lost in the sea of highfalutin meta-babble, the characters all became so hard to relate to that I found myself frequently staring at the screen and wondering, "Do these people actually like movies? And if so, why do they appear to exist in a world that bears little to no resemblance to the movies in my life?" By the end of the thread, it seemed like it had made a good case for the destruction of all movie theaters everywhere.

Spirit Animal: the head-up-its-own-assottamus.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Review: A simple thread to discuss Radiohead’s newest album, The King of Limbs, became a fascinating and disturbing study in cognitive dissonance and the human condition. The main characters (played by suprefan, MuseRadio, and Spooks) have demonstrated the ability to, simultaneously, have permanent fun-sized erections for the band and declare almost every set list to be “average,”“sub-par,” or “god awful.” It’s easy to see the parallel that is being drawn between these characters and a neighborhood crack whore. There may have been a point in which the crack whore really loved smoking crack and sucking dicks. Then there came a point in which she just did it because it’s all she knew. Smoking crack and sucking dicks. She voluntary does those things more times than any human would even consider, yet complains every time she gets semen in her eye. Being a crack whore is also how other people know her, so she feels an obligation to live up to that identity. We all have identities that help us navigate through life. Some people choose worthwhile identities, and are not disappointments to their parents. Others give blow jobs for crack-cocaine, or have dysfunctional relationships with musicians they don’t know.

Spirit Animal: Golden Set-List Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Also Cara is right, Tom. Insisting you're not lying suggests you don't believe it yourself.
    I am in possession of the facts; the rest of you are merely speculating.

Spirit animal rating: dead fly on the windowsill.

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post

Review: A simple thread to discuss Radiohead’s newest album, The King of Limbs, became a fascinating and disturbing study in cognitive dissonance and the human condition. The main characters (played by suprefan, MuseRadio, and Spooks) have demonstrated the ability to, simultaneously, have permanent fun-sized erections for the band and declare almost every set list to be “average,”“sub-par,” or “god awful.” It’s easy to see the parallel that is being drawn between these characters and a neighborhood crack whore. There may have been a point in which the crack whore really loved smoking crack and sucking dicks. Then there came a point in which she just did it because it’s all she knew. Smoking crack and sucking dicks. She voluntary does those things more times than any human would even consider, yet complains every time she gets semen in her eye. Being a crack whore is also how other people know her, so she feels an obligation to live up to that identity. We all have identities that help us navigate through life. Some people choose worthwhile identities, and are not disappointments to their parents. Others give blow jobs for crack-cocaine, or have dysfunctional relationships with musicians they don’t know.

Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

I am in possession of the facts; the rest of you are merely speculating.

Spirit animal rating: dead fly on the windowsill.
    I grant that you are in possession of the facts with regards to seeing Kevin Costner what I was saying Cara was right about specifically this time was

his emphatic insistence on the actual factual truthfulness that he saw Kevin Costner belies any sincerity to the original claim he set out to cultivate.
    Which I attempted to emphasize with this sentence

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Insisting you're not lying suggests you don't believe it yourself.

I actually believe that you saw Kevin Costner. I would have more confidence - and others would be more likely to believe you - without the following

I am not making this up.
    In a reverse Thou Dost Protest Too Much, Methinks sort of way.

Thread:The Reckoner and Rebellion (Lies)

After searching long and hard, I’ve found no other thread ties together debate around the greatest song of all time, Randy’s screen play he was about to shoot in Spring of ’09, homophobic references to Arizona, and a relentless MissingPerson who like a horse with blinders on, does not derail from said Arcade Fire topic in this or it’s failed sequel thread Fuck Reckoner and Fuck Rebellion (lies)...Miraculously, the crack whores stayed out of the debate letting Rebellion and A Day in the Life battle it out. But, like a cliffhanger, the certificate for greatest song ever wasn't presented until the latter thread.

Rating: A monogamous pair of turkey vultures feasting on various roadkill.

Thread: This Post

Review: While TomAZ claims to have seen Kevin Costner at dinner tonight, his emphatic insistence on the actual factual truthfulness that he saw Kevin Costner belies any sincerity to the original claim he set out to cultivate. His encounter of the experience of seeing Kevin Costner -- if one is willing enough to abandon themselves into the blatant fictionality of the endeavor -- rests mostly on the laurels of his ability to recount a handful of barely memorable Costner films. The omission of the time-honored classics such as Dances With Wolves and Tin Cup,which even the most pedantic Costner fans can agree upon, implies TomAZ's unwillingness to succumb to true fandom and respect.

Rating: An aged turtle basking in the sun out of necessity rather than unadulterated enjoyment.
    finally finishing your thesis?
    Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    You little cock sucker, menikmati. This is a fucking violation of compliance and you will fucking pay, you little pig.

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post

BEST

8/05 - Wilco - Greek (?)

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

But crack whores don't suck dick for the fun of it . . .
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

They do at first.

RIP Propecia

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.