Thread: Disco legend Giorgio Moroder's New album w/ Kylie, Sia, Britney, Charli XCX

Default Disco legend Giorgio Moroder's New album w/ Kylie, Sia, Britney, Charli XCX

I feel like there's a more recent Giorgio Moroder thread (other than the 'rumor' one), but I'm not finding it, so here's a new one. Anyway, as I'm sure we all know, Giorgio Moroder has a new album due out this year. His first proper album in 30+ years. Lots of big vocalists/collaborators on the album, including Kentucky Fried Chicken's own Britney Spears, kooky songwriter and sometimes singer Sia, and something called Charli XCX, which I believe is the newest social photo sharing app that all the tweens are into. But, of course, the collaboration we're all most excited about is "Right Here, Right Now", the new Moroder song featuring Australian pop goddess Kylie Minogue. Oh, and, look: the song "leaked" today. And it's bloody good, too. Kylie sounds marvelous. I sure Madge wishes she could sound this at ease and ethereal. Mordoder's production is hardly revolutionary - one wouldn't expect so from a 74 year old - but it feels fresh and unforced and perfectly compliments Kylie's vocals.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Default Re: Disco legend Giorgio Moroder's New album w/ Kylie, Sia, Britney, Charli XCX

that is pretty catchy. I predict getting played enough for me to get INCREDIBLY sick of it.

Default Re: Disco legend Giorgio Moroder's New album w/ Kylie, Sia, Britney, Charli XCX

Decent pop track, but I can't say I have very high expectations at all. I mean, he was last seen collaborating with AVICII. Endless respect and adoration for his pioneering work and I'd still love to see him do a DJ set of the classics or whatever, but I'm not expecting great things out of him. If I'm pleasantly surprised, that's awesome, but those collaborators don't give me too much hope or anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

These muted responses are inadequate. This is perfect housecleaning lip sync music. I just Swiffered my entire place - both dry and wet - while listening to a loop of "Right Here, Right Now" and I can confidently say that my floors have never looked this clean. They look dreadful when I clean to Swans or Ty Segall. Case closed.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

I loved that new song but I'm kind of a fanboy for Kylie so I'm probably biased.

September 11 - Negură Bunget
    September 14 - GY!BE
    September 19 - Chelsea Wolfe
    September 20 - Titus Andronicus
    September 25 - Kraftwerk
    October 1 - The Zombies
    October 10 - The Sword& Kadavar
    October 13 - Autechre
    October 14 - Ghost
    November 4 - Puscifer
    November 7 - FFF/Mayhem/Watain/Rotting Christ
    November 13 - Housecore Horror Fest
    November 14 - Deafheaven
    March 24 - David Gilmour

I really dig the song, but I don't hear anything "Moroder" about it until it hits the chorus and those whispy Donna Summer vocals float in. Otherwise it sounds like he just wanted to ape the Daft Punk vocoder-rock sound. Please, for love of god, correct me if Moroder used to do this stuff, because in all the time I've listened to him I've never heard fart-voice synths prior to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Bonnaroo should just have him do the Scarfaxe thing live in the cinema tent. Put Goblin doing Suspiria in their at 2 am too.
    DREAM BIGGER

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I really dig the song, but I don't hear anything "Moroder" about it until it hits the chorus and those whispy Donna Summer vocals float in. Otherwise it sounds like he just wanted to ape the Daft Punk vocoder-rock sound. Please, for love of god, correct me if Moroder used to do this stuff, because in all the time I've listened to him I've never heard fart-voice synths prior to this.
    Yes, I think he's probably just aping the Daft Punk vocoder thing. Luckily, that element is not the centerpiece of the song. I guess the closest he got to that sound back in his heyday was probably the robot'ish intro to his marvelous "From Here To Eternity", but it's not really the same thing. At this stage in his life, I'm hardly expecting him to be an innovator (not everyone can be Verdi), but it's nice to hear that he can still write and produce something so damn appealing. And, frankly, were he just to do an update on his signature Moroder sound from "The Chase" and "I Feel Love", it would probably pale in comparison. It's probably smart of him to keep things as simple as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Bonnaroo should just have him do the Scarfaxe thing live in the cinema tent. Put Goblin doing Suspiria in their at 2 am too.
    I didn't understand a word of that, but it sure sounds like something the kids would just love.
    Last edited by RageAgainstTheAoki; 01-17-2015 at 03:32 AM.

Eh, on first listen it sounds really cheesy to me, in a not good way (good cheese is daft punk for me). I'm sure I will have many chances to listen again.

74 is the new 24 and, apparently, 46 is the new... I dunno.. 36? These are more like tour visuals, but still, some nice eye candy...