Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kaaboo Fest

Default Kaaboo Fest

So this will be the inaugural year of Kaaboo Festival in Del Mar (just outside of San Diego). It promises to "fill the void of Street Scene" which is something San Diego has been begging since its demise in 2009. 7 stages (one being comedy), 100+ music acts and a focus on local wine / beer makes me unbelievably excited for this. Lineup drops February 23rd, take a look at this article published in the Union Tribune...

The producers also hope the diverse lineup of Kaaboo, which has a seven-figure budget and will feature 100 musical acts on seven stages, appeals to fans of Street Scene. That homegrown San Diego festival drew more than 100,000 fans annually at its peak in 2003, but ended its quarter-century run here in 2009 after being beset by financial problems and dwindling attendance. Kaaboo will feature internationally known headlining acts...
    The lineup for Kaaboo Del Mar will be formally announced on Feb. 23, the same day tickets will go on sale through the festival's website. A limited number of discounted advance tickets will go on sale in early February, before any of the performers have been disclosed. Both single- and multi-day passes will be sold, as will hotel packages and shuttle service. Ticket prices have not yet been finalized.

"We'll feature classic rock, indie and alternative, along with a little bit of alt-country and some singer-songwriter stuff. But it's primarily focused around rock from the 1970s to the present," Gordon, 53, said.
    Here's the full article

Forgot the actual festival link: http://www.kaabooexperience.com/
    Last edited by Nealocus; 01-13-2015 at 10:12 AM.
    Fri: LCD Soundsystem, M83, Underworld, the Kills, FOALS, the Last Shadow Puppets, Joey Bada$$, BORNS, Miami Horror
    Sat: Guns N' Roses, Ice Cube, CHVRCHES, Courtney Barnett, Run the Jewels, the Arcs, Gary Clark Jr., Silversun Pickups, Lush, Moon Taxi, DMA's
    Sun: Major Lazer, Flume, Rancid, Miike Snow, Edward Sharp, Matt & Kim, Cold War Kids, Wolf Alice, Anderson Paak, Joywave, the Heavy, Meg Myers

Default Re: Kaaboo Fest

Very curious to see the lineup for this.

Presale on Monday. Any speculation on the lineup?

I'm lucky enough that in my line of work I'm usually able to find out a handful of artists before festival lineups get announced...especially CA ones, however I have no fucking clue who they're going for (and it's killing me)!

All I know is what they said in the article, seven figure budget, classic to alt rock and internationally known acts. I'd still buy tickets though, especially since you live in San Diego. What a great opportunity for us to finally have another bad ass festival. What are the prices?
    Fri: LCD Soundsystem, M83, Underworld, the Kills, FOALS, the Last Shadow Puppets, Joey Bada$$, BORNS, Miami Horror
    Sat: Guns N' Roses, Ice Cube, CHVRCHES, Courtney Barnett, Run the Jewels, the Arcs, Gary Clark Jr., Silversun Pickups, Lush, Moon Taxi, DMA's
    Sun: Major Lazer, Flume, Rancid, Miike Snow, Edward Sharp, Matt & Kim, Cold War Kids, Wolf Alice, Anderson Paak, Joywave, the Heavy, Meg Myers

I haven't seen prices yet, presale or otherwise.

Presale is on now.

Hang Loose Guest Access (GA) $199 + Taxes/Fees
    Hang Five VIP Pass $699 + Taxes/Fees

I want to believe

I'm worried about what direction their taking this lineup. Multiple mentions of country and nothing of hip-hop or edm. The updated site seems geared toward old people.. I'm fearing a Bottle Rock type demographic.

having been a big fan of street scene and a cchella vet of 12 years, I have prayed for the former's return to the fall lineup - which could also make, finally, a third weekend - fall cchella, the following week? could this just be the real actual return of the original SW fest?
    I think they are gonna wanna make a statement with this first outing -- time to start the researching of tours in the area -- can u say foos, or u2 or maybe inxs with a hologram? shows almost sold out already so just maximizing their potential exposure? I know u2 loves to play at the border... dreaming good for now and always hoping for three nights of jack soon...(:
    oh yeah -- street scene started as a blues and indie taste of sd fest anyway - some major love in downtown - cheers to the breweries and eateries that are going to put the icing on the cake but in del mar! maybe make it a charger stadium fundraiser.
    Last edited by carolinesgood; 02-01-2015 at 11:00 PM. Reason: thoughts exploding

This falls the weekend before LiB as well. Might see some possible crossovers ?

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

6 stages of music but all rock? Really wondering how this will work.
    "HIGH END RAP MUSIC! GHETTO STADIUM SHIT! THEY AIN'T WANT US AT THE FESTIVALS
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Kanye West

gates are open from 11am-3am.. wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by carolinesgood View Post
    having been a big fan of street scene and a cchella vet of 12 years, I have prayed for the former's return to the fall lineup - which could also make, finally, a third weekend - fall cchella, the following week? could this just be the real actual return of the original SW fest?
    I think they are gonna wanna make a statement with this first outing -- time to start the researching of tours in the area -- can u say foos, or u2 or maybe inxs with a hologram? shows almost sold out already so just maximizing their potential exposure? I know u2 loves to play at the border... dreaming good for now and always hoping for three nights of jack soon...(:
    oh yeah -- street scene started as a blues and indie taste of sd fest anyway - some major love in downtown - cheers to the breweries and eateries that are going to put the icing on the cake but in del mar! maybe make it a charger stadium fundraiser.
    ... put the crackpipe down and slowly walk away from the Del Taco dumpster with your aborted fetus inside.

I guess YOU gotta do what you must to keep up... or interested?

$199 GA pre-sale before line-up is supposed to be announced on Monday, Feb 23.

Any word on potential artists? I know the line up is out monday, but thought i would of seen or heard something by now.

Not too excited by what was announced in this morning's paper. More to come later today.

No Doubt, The Killers and Zac Brown Band will top the bill for the debut edition of Kaaboo Del Mar, the three-day music, food and drink festival that takes place Sept. 18-20 at the Del Mar Racetrack & Fairgrounds.

All three acts have previously headlined at Chula Vista’s nearly 20,000-capacity Sleep Train Amphitheatre. The Killers and Zac Brown Band have also topped the bill at, respectively, the annual Coachella and Stagecoach music festivals in Indio. The Killers, coincidentally, also headlined the 2007 edition of Street Scene, the now-defunct San Diego music festival the producers of Kaaboo have cited as a partial inspiration.

Other confirmed performers for the all-ages Kaaboo include Snoop Dogg, Foster the People, Sheryl Crow, The Roots, Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals, Los Lobos and San Diego’s Slightly Stoopid, which holds the record for the most consecutive headlining performances — 7 — by any act to appear at Sleep Train Amphitheatre. The lineup mixes such veteran acts as Heart, X, Ozomatli and the Dirty Dozen Brass Band with newer performers, such as the all-female bluegrass quintet Delta Rae, blue-eyed soul singer Allen Stone and Americana band Nicki Bluhm & the Gramblers.

Performances at Kaaboo will take place on 5 outdoor and 2 indoor stages. The largest, the Sunset Cliffs Stage, will face the ocean and can accommodate between 35,000 and 40,000 attendees. All of the stages are named after well-known California surfing spots, among them Trestles and Zuma.

Three-day passes for Kaaboo go on sale at 10 a.m. today, Monday, Feb. 23, on the festival’s website, kaaboodelmar.com. Mirroring a policy successfully established by Coachella and Stagecoach to ensure maximum attendance, no single-day tickets will be sold. The price for passes is $259 per person for general admission and $699 for a VIP package, which includes a Sept. 17 pre-festival concert by Crow and Ed Kowalcyzk. Ticket prices will increase as the festival weekend draws closer.

The Kaaboo lineup numbers 69 bands and solo artists so far (all of whom are listed at the conclusion of this article). That number includes such comedy stars as Lewis Black, Joel McHale, Tin Meadows and Tig Notaro. More than two-dozen additional music and comedy performers will be announced over the next few months.

“When all is said and done, we’ll have over 100 acts,” said Kaaboo mastermind Bryan E. Gordon. He is the founder and chairman of Denver-based The Madison Companies, LLC, a private investment holding company that — according to its website — owns companies and properties worth over $3 billion.

“We wanted to have a real depth and breadth with the lineup, so that it has broad, multi-generational appeal. We’re targeting a demographic of people in their mid-twenties to their sixties, and we wanted bands that would appeal to those different generations. We were also looking to draw heavily upon a pool of bands from Southern California. It was a heavily curated approach to building the lineup.”

Kaaboo's main music talent buyer is Roger LeBlanc, who is based in Nashville and used to book for the Coach House in San Juan Capistrano amd the Sunset Strip Music Festival in Hollywood, among others. Adam Spriggs, who is based in Southern California, helped with some of the music booking and is overseeing the comedy lineup.

Yeah, a bit so-so. Nothing that really jumps out. Hopefully some other bands are announced that makes me wanna jump on it. Where does it say they are releasing more artists later today?

I would call it Kaboom because it's going to implode itself with mediocrity.

Sign me up for one of these days. I dig it

Love this lineup! I'll be making the trek down.

I feel like theklein and CCF should become good friends
    Last edited by lt.roast.a.botch; 02-23-2015 at 06:15 PM.

This is exactly the kind of mishmash bullshit fest I'd expect SD to get. A handful of artists from every terrible SD radio station along with a handful of great stuff. No SD music fest is complete without Slightly Stoopid and Tribal Seeds. Ugh. Let me pick out 5-10 artists to remove from this and make the crowd 1000x less douchey.

Really hoping CRSSD goes well and Goldenvoice can lock down the Waterfront Park for more 2-day genre specific fests.

Mirroring a policy successfully established by Coachella and Stagecoach to ensure maximum attendance, no single-day tickets will be sold.
    They realize Coachella and Stagecoach took years to build up consistent success before they were able to only sell 3-day passes, right? Then again, the fact that they have "VIP performances" means they're way too full of themselves.

Though I'm kind of sad this is so bad since I have a place to stay 5 minutes away.

What a mediocre crap-tastic lineup...Such a shame...

Like Piratepenguin, I have a free spot to crash at that's 10 minutes away from the fairgrounds...Hopefully this doesn't completely bomb and they get it right next year :/

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

No single day tickets = No me. Was hoping Roots/Snoop would be on the same day as either No Doubt or Killers
    "HIGH END RAP MUSIC! GHETTO STADIUM SHIT! THEY AIN'T WANT US AT THE FESTIVALS
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Kanye West

$290 for a GA is a lot. Then I see there is a payment plan, so I go to check out how that works and find that it costs an extra $70 to do a payment plan. WTF?? That is some bullshit right there. I was going to go because hey, its a music fest in my hood, but the more I read about this the more they can go fuck themselves.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

Quote Originally Posted by Sexecutioner View Post
    $290 for a GA is a lot. Then I see there is a payment plan, so I go to check out how that works and find that it costs an extra $70 to do a payment plan. WTF?? That is some bullshit right there. I was going to go because hey, its a music fest in my hood, but the more I read about this the more they can go fuck themselves.
    Saw that too and was baffled. Combined with the VIP performances and some other shit I know that's going on behind the scenes makes me care less and less about this cash grab of a festival.

Yeah, I was considering going until saw the price. Fuck that.

The comedy acts are great too, that's a bummer.
    <3 <3 <3 #SALMONS <3 <3 <3

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasma Del Mar View Post
    Yeah, I was considering going until saw the price. Fuck that.

The comedy acts are great too, that's a bummer.
    Really hoping a lot of the acts leak off to local venues. Same with comedy... a lot of those acts are prime Balboa Theater / American Comedy Co. material right there.