Surprisingly it was Putz that blew it tonight and not Zeigler.
Rivera carted off the field, with an apparent knee injury.
Wow, I always respected the guy, even though I was a Red Sox fan. Greatest closer of all-time, and really just one of the greats.
Last edited by buddy; 05-03-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Coachella 2017: 4/14-16 @ Empire Polo Fields
For the last 5 years I've been predicting his "hanging up the cleats" press conference at the All-Star break to all my Yankee buddies. And every year he amazes me more than the last. As a Sox fan, this news is bittersweet. Not how you want to see a classy rival go out.
So I guess Dodgers signed Bobby Abreu. Any thoughts?
As a Red Sox fan I legitimately hope that Rivera pitches again. I don't think I've ever been bummed out to see a Yankees player get injured. The man is a legend. This isn't how his career should end.
The Sox faithful seems to have had a relatively good-natured frenemy relationship with Rivera ever since Opening Day in 2005 when they applauded him (for choking during the 2004 ALCS) and he gave them them a winking tip of the cap during the pregame World Series celebration ceremonies. Apart from his unique greatness as a performer, I think he will be remembered for his very sincere humility, which has endeared him to so many.
I hate this thread
/bitter Twins fan
^^^ That's pretty awesome.
I have a lot of respect for Rivera.
I hate the fucking yankees more than anyone here(specifically any lineup built from 1962 and onwards) but i've always spared Rivera of any ill will. The greatest closing pitcher in the 140+ years the game has existed under the MLB banner, and I am thankful I grew up to watch him play his entire professional career from 92' and onwards. I've never seen so many broken bat outs than I have watching him put out a fire in the 9th. No way will he let a torn ACL bookend his career, he could play until he's 45 if he wanted...
I do know that he has more blown saves against the Sox than any other team (perhaps part of the reason I like him so much). Part of that is that they share the same division and play a lot of close games. But still, I'll take it.
Rivera's postseason blown saves / notable failures:
1) Cleveland, Game 4, 1997 ALDS. Gives up game-tying homer to Sandy Alomar, Jr. in the eighth inning; Cleveland comes back to win game, closes out series in Game 5.
2) Arizona, Game 7, 2001 World Series. Mark Grace works a leadoff hit. Rivera throws ball into centerfield. Womacked. Gonzoed. History.
3) Minnesota, Game 2, 2004 ALDS, comes in to extinguish Tom Gordon arson attempt with runners on in the eighth inning. Gives up tying runs. Game goes extras. Torri Hunter hits go-ahead homer in the top of 12th off of like Tanyon Sturtze or someone. Jeter and A-Rod rally the Yankees to a walk-off win in the bottom half. I attended this game.
4) Boston, Game 4, 2004 ALCS. Millar walk, Dave Roberts pinch run steal, Bill Mueller single. Ortiz walks off in the 11th or 12th. History.
5) Boston, Game 5, 2004 ALCS. Called in during another Gordon eighth inning arson attempt. Gives up sac fly that ties game. More Ortiz heroics in like the 20th inning. This one really wasn't Mo's fault.
That's pretty much it. Here are his postseason stats: 141 innings pitched, 8-1 record, 0.70 era, 110 Ks, 42 saves.
His postseason stats are beyond ridiculous.
^ I particularly liked "Womacked" and "Gonzoed."
Also, noticed this as I was watching the Dbacks/Mets game tonight:
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diam...#ixzz1tyjsqWFAFormer Beastie Boy Adam "MCA" Yauch, who died Friday of cancer, was known to be a big Mets fan, and the players had a cool way to pay tribute to him. Every Mets player came to bat to a Beastie Boys song, an idea hatched by infielder Justin Turner and outfielder Scott Hairston. The Mets were rocking out to their songs in the clubhouse before the game.
i got my wally backman greatest hits dvd today...
Crazy game down to a DH from the O's pitching, and an Outfielder pitching for the Sox. And, the DH from the O's got McDonald, who was pitching, to ground out in a double play.
Last edited by buddy; 05-06-2012 at 03:46 PM.