Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coachella vs. SF Outside Lands

Default Re: Coachella vs. SF Outside Lands

Works out great really. No douchebags in the crowds holding beers to spill on you.
    With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams; it is still a beautiful world.
    Coachella: 08, 09, 10, 11, 12w1, 12w2, 13w1, 14w2, 15w2
    Lollapalooza: 08,10,11,12,16
    NOS Alive: 16
    Pitch Music Fest: 16
    Burning Man: 08,10

Hmmm, I still kind of like wandering around with a beer, but I see your point about people in the crowd.

its really not that big of a deal. i find it way to hot to drink beers during the day anyway.

Been going to Outsidelands for a few years now and the weather is usually terrible. This past year had a few days of sunshine which is nice in SF. Coach definitely has more of a party all day atmosphere to it. OL really has the food and wine thing going for them. I live in SF, so Outsidelands just feels like any other golden gate park festival, while Coachella is an experience.

WOW ^^^^. I have only been to OSL last year, but the first thing I love about that fest was the weather.

Seriously perfect festival weather. A little nippy, some sunshine, perfect for walking around and standing outside.

Ya, last year's weather was pretty awesome. Sunday was amazing. It was a little brisk in the mornings, but the afternoons were perfect. 2010 had the usual fog and overcast SF is used to if I remember correctly. I freezed my ass off watching wolfmother and the strokes both days.

Yeah, I loved the weather. At Coachella I am always battling the heat during the early, outdoor sets. Especially when I'm tripping...

So in that aspect, I do think OSL has a slight edge. The heat at Coachella, while being a small part of the appeal, is overall really fucked up. OSL is cool and that makes it so much easier to move around and enjoy sets.

I know everyone's problem with OSL was the distance between stages, but I really didn't think it was that bad. The terrain was just much worse than chella's perfect polo field.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderbot View Post
    Works out great really. No douchebags in the crowds holding beers to spill on you.
    I actually really like that coachella does this. At Outside Lands though beer gardens would be terrible idea, but the overall vibe of the crowd is so different so it's not something you would worry about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Right, at OSL you wouldn't see someone trying to carry 3-4 beer cups by himself pushing his way through a crowd. And at Coachella people get all water bottle squirty happy when they're in the front area of the crowd too.

Anyway the whole beer garden thing is really not a big deal. If you absolutely must drink a beer outside, get a water bottle and pour your beer into it... just put it in your back pack.

The biggest issue with Outside Lands is the sound at each stage. The only stage that has decent sound is the main, the others are downright embarrassing. Even the main has to keep the volume too low due to sound restrictions. Oh, and also the SF locals are fucking rude assholes. They lay out their blankets and think they own that spot which causes awful crowding and traffic. What do they think this is? A grateful dead show?
    COACHELLA- 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 (wk 1 & 2), 13 (wk 1 &2), 14 (wk 1 & 2), 15(wk 1&2), 16 (wk 1&2)

Quote Originally Posted by MattBags View Post
    Been going to Outsidelands for a few years now and the weather is usually terrible. This past year had a few days of sunshine which is nice in SF. Coach definitely has more of a party all day atmosphere to it. OL really has the food and wine thing going for them. I live in SF, so Outsidelands just feels like any other golden gate park festival, while Coachella is an experience.
    Freaking this. I live in San Jose and couldn't imagine traveling from outside the area to see OSL. SF in the summer, esp in GG park, is always windy and cold. Maybe they should move OSL to the Fall which is always the best time of year in SF. I've been to Hardly Strictly Bluegrass (IMO the best Bay Area festival) the last 3-4 years and the weather has always been great, and its always at the end of September/beginning of October.

Quote Originally Posted by crombrenner View Post
    The biggest issue with Outside Lands is the sound at each stage. The only stage that has decent sound is the main, the others are downright embarrassing. Even the main has to keep the volume too low due to sound restrictions. Oh, and also the SF locals are fucking rude assholes. They lay out their blankets and think they own that spot which causes awful crowding and traffic. What do they think this is? A grateful dead show?
    SF crowds are THE WORST.

The biggest issue with Outside Lands is the sound at each stage. The only stage that has decent sound is the main, the others are downright embarrassing. Even the main has to keep the volume too low due to sound restrictions.
    I have to disagree. The stages are too quiet when you're not up close(the wind probably affects this too), but other than that I am super impressed with the 3 big stages. It kinda depends on who's playing, but the sound can rival Coachella's at times. It's not as consistent but I wouldn't call it horrible.

I've never been to Outside Lands, but since this is the internet I am more than qualified to say that Coachella is a much better festival.

Burning Man > Coachella|Bonnaroo > Voodoo > Sasquatch > Lollapalooza > SXSW > Austin City Limits > Hardly Strictly > SFOutside Lands > Treasure Island

Quote Originally Posted by manalive! View Post
    its really not that big of a deal. i find it way to hot to drink beers during the day anyway.
    What kind of Sydneysider doesn't enjoy a good brew in the hot weather?

this. I'm surprised no one had mentioned this earlier. The sound at twin peaks is god awful, especially for edm acts. you get no bass. The sound at deadmau5 was so underwhelming that i bounced 15 minutes into the set to go see arcade fire (dont ask why i was stupid enough to forgo arcade fire to begin with)

I wasn't at the fiver so I can't judge, but I thought the sound for Sound Tribe at the twin peaks stage earlier in the day was awesome. But maybe different weather conditions at that point of the day. I also was decently close so that might make a difference also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by with_cheese View Post
    What kind of Sydneysider doesn't enjoy a good brew in the hot weather?

haha i dunno man theres just something about coachella. i'm usually all for a beer on a hot day but the heat at coachella is so oppressive its the last thing i feel like drinking

Quote Originally Posted by citizenerased View Post
    Yeah, beer gardens only.
    And it's one of the best things about the festival...makes the hard core boozers have to choose between beer or music, and keeps those who choose the booze away from the stages so those that want to enjoy the music without hassle from drunks can. A policy I hope they never change.

Burning Man > Coachella|Bonnaroo > Voodoo > Sasquatch > Lollapalooza > SXSW > Austin City Limits > Hardly Strictly > SFOutside Lands > Treasure Island
    I've only been to three of these but I'm positive that Treasure Island should at least be ahead of OSL, I don't care that it's a mini fest, the sound is better IMO and so is the general vibe.
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

I love both. Not doing Coachella this year though. I will be going to OSL. I live a five minute walk from the entrance to the festival, so it's pretty awesome for me. Last year on day 3 I woke up to Arcade Fire sounchecking "Wake Up."

Quote Originally Posted by frizzlefry View Post
    I've only been to three of these but I'm positive that Treasure Island should at least be ahead of OSL, I don't care that it's a mini fest, the sound is better IMO and so is the general vibe.
    It can go either way really. Both are bottom of the barrel in terms of organization and quality. But that's to be expected for very "young" festivals that they are.

SF crowds are THE WORST.
    At HSB one year, for the gogol bordello (yes, really) set, there were people splayed out on blankets up close to the stage.

They were annoyed. Extremely annoyed. Angry, even. When the moshing started.

Quote Originally Posted by I'mOleGreg View Post
    Yo!!! I have been going to Coachella for 5 years and went to San Francisco Outside Lands for the first time last year. I'm not sure if it's because I'm from Southern California or not, but I have a much better time at Coachella. Don't get me wrong, Outside Lands was still a great time, but to me it didn't have the same vibe that Coachella brings every year. The distance between tents at outside lands also really killed my buzz, sucked going from one tent to another. It also ends like at 10:30 which is too early for me, they offer no camping and the park is hard to get to if you are not a local and try to get together last minute hotel arrangements; public transportation is a must and it sucks cuz it gets ridiculously crowded when the show gets out. That being said, I did however enjoy the lineups, the wine lands was awesome (everyone getting wasted off of wineries from Norther California) and it was cool to checkout a different festival and be in San Francisco. Coachella, however, is on another level. It has the better lineup, the better vibe, the better setup, better food, allows camping, is in Southern California, the list goes on and on.. Thinking about going back to Outside Lands next year and giving it another shot.. Anyone with experience on comparing both festivals post something... Thanks.
    I enjoy OSL. I went a couple of times when I lived in the Bay Area, and if I lived there still, I'd be going. It's a fun time.

I *really* enjoy Coachella.

For me, the differences are: (a) the heat at Coachella is a massive plus; (b) the wider variety of stages means I get to see more acts I like and never have down time where I just don't care; (c) the configuration and layout of the stages is simply better, due to the ground being flat; (d) camping + travel means when i go to coachella i'm outside normal life, where as OSL was just ... three days of concerts.

I think the food is better at OSL, but really, i'm not there for the food.

Quote Originally Posted by frizzlefry View Post
    I've not gone to TIMF as many times as OSL, because its scheduling is inconvenient for me (October is a harder month for me, usually, than August). I'm of mixed feelings: I like the venue better, but fewer stages means that there's a much greater percentage of the time where I don't care about anything.