Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Better Get Sal

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Default Better Get Sal

Damn good opener. Love how he just quipped to Walt at the end of BB that he'd probably wind up managing a Cinnabon on Omaha, and sure enough there he is.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Default Re: Better Get Sal

Is it too late to change title of thread?

I don't think the first episode is enough to get me excited for the series but I'll catch episode 2 tomorrow anyways. It was nice to see a couple familiar faces tonight.

Better Get Sal is what Odenkirk calls the show in interviews.

Ahh, didn't catch that

Free Cinnabons for Saul fans between 5pm and 9pm today

Interesting second episode. The desert scene was definitely reminiscent of something from BB but the rest of the episode definitely had a unique character to it. Loved the PD montage near the end. They appear to be doing their best to make space to create a character arc, yet the guy Saul resigns himself to be at the end of BB now makes perfect sense given the humble, hard working beginnings he came from.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 02-09-2015 at 08:52 PM.

I'm so glad you posted that...had no idea they were airing the second episode already.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyInHeaven View Post
    Devin - how does it feel to know that there are still more women in the world that would fuck me at this very moment than would fuck you?

So the dude from Spinal Tap is his dad right?
    DREAM BIGGER

His older brother. (Michael McKean)
    7/22-24: Sunset Campout @ Belden Town
    7/25: Ultimate Painting @ The Chapel
    7/29: Woods, Gun Outfit, Cian Nugent @ The Chapel
    7/29: Lucy @ f8
    7/30: Robag Whrume, Sassmouth, Solar @ Mighty
    8/3: Margo Price @ Gundlach Bundschu
    8/25: Gold Panda @ The Independent

Ahh that makes sense. I really loved the breadsticks scene right after the desert scene. This show has great potential, but I fear it may end up overusing the nostalgia effect and/or spread itself too thin if it carries on long enough. Hopefully the writers are smart enough to recognize these potential problems.
    DREAM BIGGER

I think they're using the nostalgia effect just to get us talking. It is nice to see Mike alive again.

It's a bit odd seeing Saul start out as a sweet guy, sticking his neck out for the kids. Not to mention caring for his batshit crazy brother. I know there's money in it for him but he seems genuine. The brother thinks he'll get better and the firm seems to be taking advantage of his delusion while Saul fights to get his brother his due. I'll bet it'll be the loss of his brother that'll push him over to the dark side eventually.

The first two episodes were great. We all know how Saul ends up by the time he is introduced in Breaking Bad, and they are setting up a fantastic character arc for Saul, errr... Jimmy. I mean, how boring would the show be if he was a sleezeball right from the start? I mean, a loveable sleezeball for sure, but Jimmy is essentially a new character for us. We get to learn who he is and the circumstances that lead him to become the Saul Goodman we all know and love. At the onset, Jimmy is bound and determined to make it as a lawyer and his refusal of Nacho's offer was absolutely genuine... which makes it all the more heartbreaking, because we know the kind of guy Jimmy will become.

And yeah, that are playing into the nostalgia/ BB factor... but they kind of have to. They are in tough spot, where if they didn't people would complain, but if they lean into it too heavily, they will be criticized. Besides all that though, the tone of the show is totally different from that of BB, so I don't think they should need to worry about any of that. Tuco will not be the last of the BB characters we see. Don't forget, along with Saul, this show will also be developing the character of Mike. I won't be surprised if at some point we see Gus and learn more about him too. It's inevitable Jesse will have at least a cameo in one episode here, right?

Long and short of it, very promising start to the show.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i definitely like it. it is similar to breaking bad in that the first portrayal is a broken man and the second is a hostage crisis. but hopefully it will grow from here.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Having just, coincidentally, binge watched Breaking Bad in the past month, I wonder if Gus comes into the picture at all and whether we'll actually learn anything about his Chilean past.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

I'm not sure there's much more to know about Gus. I thought we got a pretty good amount of background on him on BB.

July 16 - Cough
    July 19 - Dragged Into Sunlight
    July 29 - Inter Arma
    August 12-14 - Migration Fest
    August 16 - Monolord
    August 26-28 - Psycho LV
    September 7 - Cobalt
    September 12 - Kraftwerk
    September 17 - Melvins
    September 20 - Wolves In The Throne Room
    September 21 - Kanye West
    September 30-October 2 - ACL wk.1
    October 7-9 - ACL wk.2
    October 11 - Failure
    October 21 - Sleep
    October 22 - Sleep
    October 23 - Sleep
    November 6 - Sia
    November 12 - Black Sabbath

When Saul connected Walt and Jesse to Gus he claimed to have done it through a "guy who knows a guy who knows another guy" etc. so it's remotely possible that Saul might have crossed paths with Gus, but by the time of BB Gus is way out of Saul's league. I doubt they had much to do with each other directly.

Mike is Saul's connection with Gus. Mike is going to have a major role to play in Better Call Saul, but it wouldn't be surprise me if Gus and Saul never meet. We could still see and learn a lot about Gus through Mike though.
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Just waiting on the Badger/Skinny Pete cameos
    It's funny how everything was roses when we held on to the guns.

I was about to say Badger would be too young but I looked it up and realized the show is only set 7 years back of the start of BB, in 2002. I assumed it was mid 90's at first.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

the head fucking video says october 2001. i want a wendy cameo
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

I've enjoyed it so far, but I just love Odenkirk so seeing him star in anything, especially helmed by Vince Gilligan, makes it a pretty easy win for me. I guess when I heard about this show going into production, and not following up on any of the press about it, I was imagining more of a half hour comedy than an hour drama, but it's working pretty well in that latter category. It's slightly more similar to Breaking Bad than I had anticipated, but the direction and acting has been really compelling so far. Interested to see how it develops, but even if it never becomes a GREAT show, I can see myself just enjoying the hell out of it as a merely good one for quite awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

I can see this becoming more comedic once he becomes the Saul character
    DREAM BIGGER

It's had a good balance of both so far and I hope it continues in that direction.

I think he's got further to go to hit rock bottom. If he does the eventual fun side (or facade) of Saul will be more complex and dark.

and speaking of the show timeframe. It was the flip phones that made me think late mid-late 90's even though the ones in the show were a bit small for those days. Then I started trying to remember how long smart phones have been around. I had to look up the release date of the first iphone, and it was 6/29/2007. holy shit it feels like they've been around forever compared to a measly 7 years and change.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 02-12-2015 at 03:08 PM.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

episode 1 score major points by having a short, inoffensive musical introduction. episode 2 fell flat on its face by starting with a "last time on..." segment.

No comments on episode 3 and 4? The show is still showing up strong, Mike finally got some screen time in episode 3 and episode 4 finally referenced his name. "S'all good, man."

Also, the scene where Chuck runs outside with the space blanket and the music and visuals are going all crazy, only to be cut abruptly by seeing it from the old woman's perspective was great.

I felt dumb never realizing the pun inherent in his name. Yep, still enjoying it plenty, it's cool to see Saul have slightly more of a moral compass but still just be a natural born bullshitter. It's never not going to be a pleasure seeing Bob Odenkirk carrying a show every week, and this is the perfect character for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    I felt dumb never realizing the pun inherent in his name. Yep, still enjoying it plenty, it's cool to see Saul have slightly more of a moral compass but still just be a natural born bullshitter. It's never not going to be a pleasure seeing Bob Odenkirk carrying a show every week, and this is the perfect character for it.
    I always assumed that "Saul Goodman" was chosen because it was generic Jewish sounding, so hearing the pun angle, also the fact that he used it as somewhat of a fake name for his small-time con games gives it a sort of a triple meaning. I'm totally satisfied with the origin of the name.
    The small-time con man days, followed by the major legal trouble, followed by his reformation, now seemingly launching into his new life of crime seems like a bit of a forced character arc, but I have faith that the writers will make it intersting.

Forced arc? How do you mean? At this point, I am just curious how he went from small time crime to an aspiring lawyer with a conscience.

Also, a friend asked me if I got the "S'all good, man" pun while watching BB. I felt dumb for not getting it at the time, but it seems like the majority of people just realized the pun in the latest episode as well, so it makes me feel less bad haha.

Fucking LOVE the allusion in the very opening of the show with him watching the Tortoise on TV (Danny Trejo character's head on Tortuga), and then the kids ripping the head off the cadaver.

Well done, Gilligan.
    My 4th Annual Coachelectro (Coachella 2015) Mix
    Featuring 80 Acts Playing The Fest This Year In Just An Hour + Free Download

https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...hella-2015-mix