This thread was supposed to be a joke, y'all
Just ate a whole tray of nachos and I'm not stuffed at all
Fast metabolism ftw
going to shoot hoops
Finished shopping this morning at Sprouts for Super Bowl party. Homemade chicken wings, polish sausage, gyros the way Greeks do em (with french fries), potato chips, pizza. Prepare to barf.
I slept on the couch last night because my couch is very comfy
Last night I slept on a chaise lounge built from the jaw bones of your ancestors, each dipped in an iridescent enamel extracted from the marrow of the last remaining Scylla, bound together from an adhesive gum scraped off the backs of deceased armadillos rotting in the festering sun of Death Valley. Because it's very comfy.
FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS: There's too much resin in my pipe. I really should clean it.
"Well, that's just like, you know... your opinion, man"
I'm always either hungover or drunk or asleep.
1/27: Heron Oblivion @ The Chapel
1/27: Christopher Rau, Jordan @ f8
1/29: Silver Shadows, CCR Headcleaner @ Hemlock Tavern
2/4: Toy Guitar @ Thee Parkside
2/4: Jack J @ Underground SF
2/10: Optimo @ Monarch
2/11: Tom Trago @ Monarch
2/20: Cloud Nothings @ The Independent
I thought you guys cared about me having the sniffles
I'm reading this thread while my mom watches Contagion. Debating whether or not to finish reading [I]Shadow Divers or go ride my bike..hmm
It is snowing. Everyone in London on my facebook/twitter feed are acting like they've never seen it before. Give it 48 hrs and they'll be bitching about how it is fucking up their travel plans. #whitepowderproblems
mja: "i would make a great effeminate hick-accented puppet"
I slept in my bed last night. I probably will again tonight.
They would if I started a thread about them.
My cat waits 'til I return home to poop.
10/29 Hot Chip @ The Fox Theatre
11/07 Rufus Du Sol @ The Mezzanine (?)
11/13 Mr Little Jeans @ The Rickshaw Stop
11/20 Keep Shelly in Athens @ Awaken
SHOTS: NPR's Health Blog
Second Neti-Pot Death From Amoeba Prompts Tap-Water Warning
by NANCY SHUTE
Washing noses with neti pots or squeeze bottles has become increasingly popular as a home remedy for colds, allergies and sinus trouble. But it's not such a great remedy if it kills you.
Now that two people have died from infection with brain-eating amoebas after using neti pots, doctors are warning: do not put tap water up your nose.
"Drinking water is good to drink, very safe to drink, but not to push up your nose," says Raoult Ratard, state epidemiologist for the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals. Two residents of his state have died after using neti pots this year, the first known deaths associated with neti pots. "The first one could have been a fluke," Ratard told Shots. But now that we have a second one, the only explanation is the use of the neti pot."
The first death came in June, when a 20-year-old man died of encephalitis caused by infection with Naegleria fowleri. That amoeba is common in rivers and lakes, but only very rarely causes brain infections. Back in August, we reported on several deaths in children who had been jumping or diving in fresh water. But since adults are less likely to be doing cannonballs, they're also less likely to be infected.
Then in October, a 51-year-old Louisiana woman died of encephalitis. The doctor thought to ask if she used a neti pot. Both her brain tissue and her home's tap water tested positive for the microbe. Ratard says: "They found the amoeba, the lady was using a neti pot, and had no contact whatsoever with surface water."
Thus the new warning from Louisiana: If using a neti pot or other nasal irrigation device, use distilled or filtered water. Keeping the device clean is crucial, too, Ratard says. A neti pot, which looks like a small genie lamp, can be safely washed in a dishwasher, but squeeze bottles and other devices need to be scrubbed. All need to dry between uses. "If you let them dry completely, the amoebas are not going to survive long," Ratard says.
A quick survey of neti pots and squeeze bottles finds that the instructions recommend using boiled, distilled or filtered water. But like so many simple hygiene instructions, it's one that's easy to let slide. The prospect of death by brain-eating amoeba, rare though it is, should provide enough motivation to follow the rules.
Editor's Note: An earlier version of this post included a photograph of a specific neti pot product that was not associated with the potential medical issues described in the post. The photograph has been removed.
4:25am blood draw.