• Boring and unimaginative

5 5.21%
  • Abysmal

0 0%
  • Worse than a Mariah Carey NYE "vocals" malfunction

1 1.04%

Thread: Your Overall Impression of the 2017 Coachella Lineup

Default Your Overall Impression of the 2017 Coachella Lineup

What do you think about the 2017 lineup?
    Coachella '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12 W1, '13 W1&2, '14 W1, '15 W1&2, '16 W1, '17 W1 &/or 2

Default Re: Your Overall Impression of the 2017 Coachella Lineup

Not enough to convince me to spend $600. I'll just keep sticking with FYF.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

My vote was Meh. Great headliners( though Kendrick) was a lazy booking) and some fantastic electronic bookings, but not enough to justify the cost of travel this year. I can see most of these acts that I care about either in Chicago or at Primavera.

Not enough rock or vintage acts.

Leaning toward skipping again.
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorAve View Post
    Careful, while the threats are amusingly clueless, I could probably have this whole board shut down with one phone call.

Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post
    Not enough rock or vintage acts.
    I agree with you there. That is probably the biggest disappointment this year. Fortunately, I've been able to see plenty of great shows the past couple of years that have more than fulfilled one or both of those categories, and there's still at least one weekend's worth of Coachella acts that interest me (though probably not two). Maybe I'll see you at Shaky Knees.
    Coachella '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12 W1, '13 W1&2, '14 W1, '15 W1&2, '16 W1, '17 W1 &/or 2

I voted Pretty good. I mean, all three headliners are at the top of their respective games. It's unprecedented, really. And there are a bunch of other acts I want to see. Maybe not as many as years past, but two of my all-time favorite bands are in that. And a bunch of my homies will be trying to go this year. Weekend 2 vibes, bitches.
    12/16-18 Day for Night

You realize one of the "top of their game" headliners is Radiohead, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Pretty Good.

Disappointed by the lack of rock too, however plenty of other stuff I have been waiting years for.
    Coachella 2011, 2013(wk1), 2014(wk1), 2014(wk2), 2015(wk1),

2016(wk1), 2016(wk2)

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    You realize one of the "top of their game" headliners is Radiohead, right?
    Well, sure, they were at their best from 97-2008, or whatever, but as far as big headliner rock bands with indie cred, name one that tops them.
    12/16-18 Day for Night

They're probably the last band that will be that kind of band, actually. I mean, Arcade Fire comes close, but I'll fully concede that they'll never be as "big." The world fundamentally changed after the internet. You'll never see a melding of both art and commerce on that scale of dominance again from a rock band.

This morning I put "acceptable" but by tonight I'd upgrade that to somewhere just above acceptable and below pretty good. I knew it was going to be full of boring retread and shit I don't particularly care for or that's over-saturated the festival market. If I hadn't known the acts I did know about and didn't know the headliners in advance I honestly would have been decently excited about this poster.

It's just weird that I don't feel particularly excited about Royksopp or The Avalanches. Those are some of the acts this board should be geeking out and we seem pretty collectively meh about those bookings.

**edited to say that for years I complained about how shitty some of the local Yuma bookings were when there's a better range of talent that isn't playatechVhouse shit OR older local house acts that have played everywhere forEVER like Marquess Wyatt and then they finally book some different shit/newcomers a la Alison Swing, Chris Cruse, Jen Ferrer, and Honey Dijon and brandon-can-someone-google-search-directions-to-the-venue-for-me complains that that's the type of shit you can see in a LA warehouse party literally all the time. Of all of the Yuma booking stupidity this year (and of course there's plenty I'd gripe about there), the local talent they pulled is at least refreshing this time around.
    Last edited by guedita; 01-03-2017 at 08:36 PM.
    1/13: Fantastic Negrito @ The New Parish
    1/14: Silent Servant, Volvox @ Monarch
    1/17: Marching Church @ Rickshaw Stop
    1/19: Woods @ Sweetwater Music Hall
    1/23: No Age @ Starline Social Club
    1/26: The She's, Terry Malts @ The Independent
    1/27: Heron Oblivian @ The Chapel
    1/27: Christopher Rau, Jordan @ f8
    1/29: Silver Shadows, CCR Headcleaner @ Hemlock Tavern
    02/02: Lily's @ The Chapel

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    I voted Pretty good. I mean, all three headliners are at the top of their respective games. It's unprecedented, really. And there are a bunch of other acts I want to see. Maybe not as many as years past, but two of my all-time favorite bands are in that. And a bunch of my homies will be trying to go this year. Weekend 2 vibes, bitches.
    This.
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

I think it's outstanding. That being said, I don't really get bummed out or underwhelmed by festival lineups like a lot of people on here so my opinion may be irrelevant to you.

there are several acts that I've been dying to see my whole life, including Radiohead.

there are several acts I've seen before but will no doubt be seeing again.

there are several acts that I am sure I will discover in the months leading up to the festival as I do every year.

and most importantly, I will be there having an awesome time - escaping reality for a weekend with my friends and my wife whose never been to coachella.

cant wait!!

My dream electronic lineup

I didn't read any rumors so the punch of a Radiohead/Beyonce/Kendrick Lamar at the top sent me into a frenzy. Those are three of my dream headliners and just a triumphant top line coup for a big mainstream North American festival.

That alone put it as "Outstanding". Now that I've sat on it, I'd say I'd downgrade it to "Really Great" because the undercard isn't as exciting to me as last year's, but there's just a ton of stuff I'm really happy with.

Every Coachella has a different flavor for me, and this seems like it'll be the year of the "Big Mainstage Moment" for me...Beyonce, Radiohead, Kendrick, Bon Iver (my wife and I have a lot of history with them) and Hans Zimmer (my wife is a huge classical/orchestral nerd and she is freaking out about this more than I've ever seen her freak out about a Coachella act).

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteIverson View Post
    my opinion may be irrelevant to you.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    I didn't read any rumors so the punch of a Radiohead/Beyonce/Kendrick Lamar at the top sent me into a frenzy. Those are three of my dream headliners and just a triumphant top line coup for a big mainstream North American festival.

That alone put it as "Outstanding". Now that I've sat on it, I'd say I'd downgrade it to "Really Great" because the undercard isn't as exciting to me as last year's, but there's just a ton of stuff I'm really happy with.

Every Coachella has a different flavor for me, and this seems like it'll be the year of the "Big Mainstage Moment" for me...Beyonce, Radiohead, Kendrick, Bon Iver (my wife and I have a lot of history with them) and Hans Zimmer (my wife is a huge classical/orchestral nerd and she is freaking out about this more than I've ever seen her freak out about a Coachella act).
    I completely agree with you about the headliners being phenomenal at the cost of a somewhat lackluster undercard. There's a few names that really stand out, but line 2 on each day is mostly devoid of anything exciting. I feel like they probably spent a gigantic bucket of money on Bey and kind of had to phone in some of the subs. I voted "pretty good", but after some thought I'd bump it up to a "really great".
    Anything is possible...

Quote Originally Posted by Twattycakes View Post
    I completely agree with you about the headliners being phenomenal at the cost of a somewhat lackluster undercard.
    Yeah. Honestly I don't care, though. This is the first Coachella ever that I'm guaranteed to watch the entirety of each headliner, and be super fucking excited for each show on top of that.

Yeah, this is the first time I've been super psyched to see all three headliners. If you look at it as a financial investment, Radiohead/Beyonce/Kendrick more than pay for the ticket. I went with "really great."

It's been a long time since a headliner was my favorite act of the festival (2011). Really curious if that'll happen again this year.

imo, on paper at least, this year's lineup is still better than 2011's looked when the lineup dropped..

Stop picking on Mariah Carey!
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

I voted "pretty good" but after a week of research I'd upgrade to "really great"

It's shit

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteIverson View Post
    I think it's outstanding. That being said, I don't really get bummed out or underwhelmed by festival lineups like a lot of people on here so my opinion may be irrelevant to you.

there are several acts that I've been dying to see my whole life, including Radiohead.

there are several acts I've seen before but will no doubt be seeing again.

there are several acts that I am sure I will discover in the months leading up to the festival as I do every year.

and most importantly, I will be there having an awesome time - escaping reality for a weekend with my friends and my wife whose never been to coachella.

cant wait!!
    This.

Friday and Saturday are two of may favorite days at coachella ever. And most of the new acts I've become fans of belong on Sunday. The only way I have a time not worth the money is if I get sick. * knocks on wood*
    *CROSSOVERCHELLA*

Beyonce * Kendrick Lamar * The XX * Future
    *Schoolboy Q * Hans Zimmer* Gucci Mane* Little Dragon * Bonobo
    *Thundercat * Travis Scott * Sampha * Empire of the Sun * Tycho