Random Red Rocks trivia
The monoliths flanking Red Rocks are "Ship Rock" to the south, "Creation Rock" to the north and "Stage Rock" to the east, behind the stage.
Thirty-two different Native American tribes consider Red Rocks a sacred venue.
All the red sandstone used in developing Red Rocks was quarried from the same geologic formation in Lyons.
Every performer who plays Red Rocks gets a mounted chunk of that Lyons sandstone. (The "Piece of the Rock" collectibles are coveted by many performers, including Gregg Almann, who was once miffed when his rock was etched with only two "g's" in Gregg.
Longtime Red Rocks marketing chief Erik Dyce has never-before-seen video of the famous 1964 performance by The Beatles.
The only recent Red Rocks performance with no known photographs, according to Dyce, is the Sept. 1, 1968 concert by Jimi Hendrix and Vanilla Fudge.
The backstage area of Red Rocks was once a bunker filled with non-perishable food for Denver's leaders during the height of the bomb-fearing Cold War.
The Civilian Conservation Corps, which finished the federally sponsored, hand-hewed construction of the city-owned venue in 1947, built giant barn-door entrances backstage to accommodate a rider atop a horse.
Red Rocks saw its average of 55 events a year plummet to 21 in 1988, the year the 18,000-seat Fiddler's Green Amphitheatre opened in Greenwood Village.
In 1988, Denver paid $80,000 to blast a giant rock that had tumbled from the eastern wall into the venue. The rubble served as a base for the north entrance stairs. (Every year an engineering firm inspects the rocks surrounding the venue.)
Red Rocks hosts 1.5 million non-concert-going visitors every year, almost three times the number of concert goers.
John Denver, who played several concerts at Red Rocks including a rare four-night stand in 1974, would jog, incognito, up-and-down the 69-row arena several times before each concert.
The 30,000 square-foot visitor center opened in 2003 featuring $29 million in improvements, including the Ship Rock Grille.