Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: For those who wear ear plugs at Coachella ...

Default Re: For those who wear ear plugs at Coachella ...

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Never done a Coachella without 'em...

The first pair I ever saw were clear like this, but with tan attenuators. They were pretty discreet, and nobody would notice that my buddy was wearing them until he pointed them out.

My girlfriend and I opted for color swirls since we wanted something a little more funky (and why would anyone care that we're wearing ear plugs?). 15dB attenuation (same as JustSteve's) has worked perfectly for everything from Coachella to small indoor shows. Also, it's really amazing how well they cut down on crowd noise and other distractions... something I never expected, but definitely appreciate. Anyway, we love ours, and I just figured I'd share:

My custom ones came in today. Cranked up the car sound pretty high and they worked great. Cut out a very small bit of the highs but the sound was much purer as the ambient car noise was cut out. Hopefully the talkers will be cut out. Looking forward to the maiden voyage this weekend. Thanks to all on this thread for the good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by ET MB 90266 View Post
    I disagree, the foam ones muffle the sound so you can't hear the same quality of music. I'm convinced that these are the best bang for your buck: Hearos High Fidelity Musicians ear plugs. They don't ruin the quality of the music, just bring the decibels down a few levels.

The foam ones are perfect for sleeping though. And these are the ones I use, Hearos foam ear plugs.
    the solid foam ones, yes, but the porous foam ear filters provide more clarity thsan any other earplug i've tried. as a bass player, the 2 dollar ear filters let me hear a better range of sound than anything else, including no plugs at all.
    My girlfriend looks a little bit like Charlize Theron... and a lot like Dog the Bounty Hunter.

yeah, you look like a dork but the high fidelity plugs are super damn awesome. you can hear people talk around you while its going on... it actually sounds better i think naturally vibrations conflict with each other too and you still maintain the integrity/quality.

and the moment after a show when you normally spend 6 minutes yelling about what to do next is accomplished by 'follow me!'

Add me to the mid-30's with fucked up hearing list. I have tinnitus due to numerous concerts in my 20s which I though was going to be nothing more than a loud ring that same night. I can ignore it most of the day but in dead silence it's nerve wracking and even a little sad to know I will never stop hearing "that".

Any outside venue is like 100% less noisy than an indoor.

I've never thought the music was too loud at Coachella, it kinda gets lost in such a wide open space. If anything they could crank up the volume a bit.

I understand using earplugs if youre front row at every show, then it might get loud, especially the Sahara.

The Postal Service - Greek Theater - July 27
    Outside Lands - Golden Gate Park - August 9-11

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    Just wash your hands off after. I don't want to be high fiving your stink palm.

It is actually louder a bit further from the front of the stage due the the way sound travels.

I just received my new ear plugs from Jay's Ear Peace earlier this week, and I will be trying them out for the first time on Monday. They are custom made with impressions of my ear canals, and I am SO EXCITED to try them!

edited: it cost me $100 for Jay's Ear Peace part, and $35 for the impressions at a local audiologist's office.
    I miss talking to TomAz.

We all do. I live in the same city as him (unless he relocated) and rumor has it that at 3:15am if you listen closely and its really really quiet you can hear him telling you to go fuck yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by knotted_donuts View Post
    The first pair I ever saw were clear like this, but with tan attenuatorshttp://www.uksocca.com/Online/A303.php?CID=6065. They were pretty discreet, and nobody would notice that my buddy was wearing them until he pointed them out.

My girlfriend and I opted for color swirls since we wanted something a little more funky (and why would anyone care that we're wearing ear plugs?). 15dB attenuation (same as JustSteve's) has worked perfectly for everything from Coachella to small indoor shows. Also, it's really amazing how well they cut down on crowd noise and other distractions... something I never expected, but definitely appreciate. Anyway, we love ours, and I just figured I'd share:

Where did you get them? I want to buy the same. I have tinnitus and won't risk it getting any worse

Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    Where did you get them? I want to buy the same. I have tinnitus and won't risk it getting any worse
    also want to know.

Have to go to an audiologist, usually located in an ent's office. Hey will do molds and send them off to a manufacturing company. I had mine done through etymotic, found an audiologist through their website.

I am a huge believer in earplugs as I have very sensitive ears, and it just physically really hurts when things are too loud, to the degree I can't enjoy the music, the experience, or focus on anything but the pain and trying to stop it. One thing I have noticed over the past few coachellas, and I'm sure it's not just me, is that they now crank up the bass SO much in many areas (especially the Do Lab and Yuma Tent) that earplugs only go a little way in alleviating the effect, and I simply could not be in that area because of it. It's so intense now it's a full on chest rattle and there's no way to block that out, so I've often been reduced to just moving way, way back, which is a shame when I've arrived at a set early just so I can get a good spot, only to scramble away. Last year I was seriously considering getting some over-ear protection, but I don't think that will even help that much because of the intense vibrations. It gets so bad it literally shakes my eyeballs and makes my vision blur which then makes me feel like I'm going to faint... ahhhh it sucks. Anyone else been affected by the bass chest-rattling? Thankfully this doesn't happen with every set, and some sets are reasonable-loud volume where I don't have to wear the plugs at all and am not uncomfortable, which is my ideal, but it happens often enough that I feel the need to comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by svatomictwist View Post
    I spin in both directions, and I also dance in FRACTIONS.
    2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011!!!, 2012 (w1), 2013 (w2), 2014! (w2), 2015!! (w2), 2016 (w2), 2017 (w2), 2018 (w2)...

Yeah at DJ Shadow we were up front and could only stand two or three songs before moving back. Insane.

I tried my new ear plugs out last night, and I'm not sure they're lowering the decibels enough for me. My ears were ringing after. I'm wondering if i put them in properly.yes I know they're molded to my ear but I figure each ear canal is probably somewhat similar so I may have gotten the two switched up.
    Last edited by amyzzz; 02-10-2015 at 03:17 PM. Reason: ugh
    I miss talking to TomAz.

We all do. I live in the same city as him (unless he relocated) and rumor has it that at 3:15am if you listen closely and its really really quiet you can hear him telling you to go fuck yourself.

I use these and love them. No ringing afterwards and I can actually hear my friends during a show when asked a question.

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-Hearing..._bs_3779871_16

Eargasm High Fidelity Earplugs is one of the best earplug on the market . These Eargasms take things further than earmuffs or foam protection. Instead of acting as a mechanical mechanism to completely block off all sound, the noise is filtered so that “good” sound can still go through. For musicians, this can make the difference between a good performance and a below-par one since your craft undoubtedly depends on your interaction with the sounds you produce and those of others, like your fellow band members.

Sweet first post plug bro

I need a custom earplugs to protect my hearing. Its very necessity to use to protect our ears. There are a lot of earplugs available in the market but I need the perfect one so that I can ensure the quality.
    Last edited by jamesflood1; 06-26-2018 at 01:42 AM.