i LOVE widescreen format ... all movies are filmed that way and they actually have to go out of their way to change it from the original version... ALL dvd's should have the widescreen version on one side and the fullscreen on the other side + i wish ALL movies had close captioning for the hearing impaired
"conversation is a game of circles and i'm getting dizzy-- bye"
In movies when they punch through car windows without any pain etc.
When they turn amazing books into lousy movies.
and sequels that have no business being made in the first place:
Things you learn at the movies.
1. Large, loft-style apartments in New York City are well within the price range of most people, whether they are employed or not.
2. One of a pair of identical twins is always born evil.
3. Should you decide to defuse a bomb, don't worry which wire to cut. You will always choose the right one.
4. Most laptop computers are powerful enough to override the communications system of any invading alien society.
5. It does not matter if you are heavily outnumbered in a fight involving martial arts your enemies will wait patiently to attack you one by one by dancing round in a threatening manner until you have knocked out their predecessors.
6. When you turn out the light to go to bed, everything in your bedroom will still be clearly visible, just slightly bluish.
7. If you are blonde and pretty, it is possible to become a world expert on nuclear fission at the age of 22.
8. Honest and hard working policemen are traditionally gunned down three days before their retirement.
9. Rather than wasting bullets, megalomaniacs prefer to kill their archenemies using complicated machinery involving fuses, pulley systems, deadly gasses, lasers, and man-eating sharks, and then depart without witnessing the cruel and diabolical demise which will allow their captives at least 20 minutes to escape.
10. During all police investigations, it will be necessary to visit a strip club at least once.
11.All beds have special L-shaped cover sheets that reach up to the armpit level on a woman but only to waist level on the man lying beside her.
12. All grocery shopping bags contain at least one stick of French bread.
13. It's easy for anyone to land a plane providing there is someone in
the control tower to talk you down.
14. Once applied, lipstick will never rub off-even while scuba diving.
15. In war it is impossible to die unless you make the mistake of showing someone a picture of your sweetheart back home.
16. Should you wish to pass yourself off as a German or Russian officer, it will not be necessary to speak the language. A German or Russian accent will do. (It used to be an English accent for the German).
17. The Eiffel Tower can be seen from any window in Paris.
18. A man will show no pain while taking the most ferocious beating but will wince when a woman tries to clean his wounds.
19. If a large pane of glass is visible, someone will be thrown through it before long.
20. If staying in a haunted house, women should investigate any strange noises alone in their most revealing underwear.
21. Word processors never display a cursor on screen but will always say: Enter ... Password Now.
22. Even when driving down a perfectly straight road, it is necessary to turn the steering wheel vigorously from left to right every few moments.
23. All bombs are fitted with electronic timing devices with large red readouts so you know exactly when they're going to go off.
24. A detective can only solve a case once he has been suspended from duty.
25. If you decide to start dancing in the street, everyone you meet will know all the steps.
26. Police departments give their officers personality tests to make sure they are deliberately assigned a partner who is their total opposite.
27. When they are alone, all foreign military officers prefer to speak to each other in English.
When an actor is cast as a character who's a smoker and he has obviously no idea how to smoke and doesn't inhale and the act ends up looking so forced and fake (e.g. John Travolta).
I hated it in the old Batman tv series when Batman and Robin were "supposedly" climbing up the side of a building using one rope and they are perfectly perpendicular to the building and the tenants would open their windows to pop out to make a witty comment. Wait - I kind of loved that actually.
Last edited by RickeyinLA; 03-13-2007 at 05:32 PM.
those are funny lindsayb
That's one of my biggest ones. Actually... the only time I've ever enjoyed one of these scenes was in Clerks 2.25. If you decide to start dancing in the street, everyone you meet will know all the steps.
hey that's why you're the boss, boss. You got the emails before Lindsey was a twinkle in her mother's eye. Now show me some post-ironic photo/youtube love!
Violence is everywhere on TV, yet everyone freaks out at the sight of a woman's breast.
Last edited by downingthief; 03-14-2007 at 09:55 AM. Reason: I'm proud that my 200th post had the word "breast" in it. Love me, people!
gotta draw the line somewhere.
This is definetely mine....27. When they are alone, all foreign military officers prefer to speak to each other in English.
The only reason anyone in movies goes to the bathroom is so that they can be overheard discussing a major plot point by someone in one of the cubicles.
A teenage dream, so hard to beat...
I hate in when two people are having a conversation and they start speaking faster and finishing each other's sentences. Example.
Chacter 1:That means Mikos was telling the truth
Chacter 2:Which means that Ruth was lying
Chacter 1:Because she knew we would suspect Mikos
Chacter 2:And we would not question why she was at the flower shop
Chacter 1:That meant that Helen knew everything
Chacter 2:And that she also knew that Ruth was lying
2 oz blended whiskey
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp powdered sugar
1/2 slice lemon
Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.
It's a different kind of spatial arrangement, and it works well for some films, and becomes distracting in others. People think that widescreen is "cinematic" and that really irks me.
That said, I agree, if it was shot in widescreen you should see it in sidescreen (there should never be a "full screen" option for movies shot that way.
What is a pet peeve? Bad title sequences. Just check out movies like se7en or north by northwest, i mean, that's a fucking title sequence.
i hate when anybody in a movie is watching a sporting event and just as a goal is about to be scored, the power goes out. same goes for when they're watching the news and something climactic is about to happen.
I'm a loner Dottie, a rebel.
I've noticed a lot of retail chains are now starting to charge a dollar or two more for widescreen vs. fullscreen. What the fuck is up with that?
I always buy widescreen so of course I have to bitch about it.
Morrissey needs to be shot. He is bad for your soul.
And widescreen movies didn't start being filmed until the 1950's (though there were some movies before that were filmed with 3 cameras and projected with three projectors to create a wider viewing area) when new lenses, projector screens, and cameras were built to adopt this new technology. Generally one of the biggest reasons films started being filmed in widescreen was to create large epic films that would attract audiences and viewers away from their small TV's and suburban homes. So I would say that widescreen is cinematic.
But yeah widescreen (the really large format one..the 2.35-1 ratio - or sometimes above) doesn't fit all movies, but that's why there's the academy ratio of the 1.85-1. I love both though, and thank god they get anamorphic transfers onto DVDs. I would never buy a fullscreen movie (if it was originally filmed in some sort of widescreen).