Thread: How to get Coachella to stop the Lot 4 madness for early arrivals?

Default How to get Coachella to stop the Lot 4 madness for early arrivals?

Is there anything at all we can do about this? Fortunately, my group has never been given the Lot 4 shaft, but it's my biggest source of anxiety every year. The only reason we take Thursday off work and get there as early as possible is to get a good spot in Lot 8. It's crazy that this happens every year to people who arrive early on Thursday.

Why does this keep happening and what can we do? Why can't they fill ALL of Lot 8 before starting on other lots? Here is the satellite photo for reference: http://i.imgur.com/YLxtQZT.jpg Don't tell me they need to leave 8 half-empty in order to have a route to fill up 4, that's bull. I can't think of any reason this happens other than poor planning and coordination by the event staff. Coachella or CSC Event Staff really needs to figure this out.

Default Re: How to get Coachella to stop the Lot 4 madness for early arrivals?

We got stuck in the far corner of lot 4 last year it sucked being that far away from the gate, but we wound up with an empty spot next to us that we turned into our chill area so it was a fair trade.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadBob View Post
    We got stuck in the far corner of lot 4 last year it sucked being that far away from the gate, but we wound up with an empty spot next to us that we turned into our chill area so it was a fair trade.
    What time did you get into the security line? Do you think if you stayed in or jumped to the right lane after the group meeting area, you would have been directed to Lot 8?

Quote Originally Posted by enginedown View Post
    What time did you get into the security line? Do you think if you stayed in or jumped to the right lane after the group meeting area, you would have been directed to Lot 8?
    I think we were in line around 10am, I can't remember what side we were on in the meeting area.

i remember once we were in lot 5 and it was awesome.
    My girlfriend looks a little bit like Charlize Theron... and a lot like Dog the Bounty Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by elbrycen View Post
    2011? it was so quite and hidden
    Everyone's a Photographer

As far as I could tell, if you were in a group and were directed to the left side of the wait area, you ended up in Lot 4. On the right side, you went to Lot 8. If you weren't in a group, you went to Lot 8.

But I could be wrong.
    7/30 - The Chemical Brothers @ Armory
    8/7-9 - Outside Lands
    8/28 - Booka Shade @ Mezzanine
    9/16 - Foo Fighters @ Shoreline
    9/17 - Heart @ Masonic
    9/18 - Dawes @ Fillmore
    9/18 - Lindstrom @ Mezzanine
    10/2 - Duran Duran @ Greek
    10/8 - Beirut @ Greek
    10/17-18 - Treasure Island
    3/24 - David Gilmour @ Hollywood Bowl
    3/25 - David Gilmour @ Hollywood Bowl
    4/11 - David Gilmour @ Madison Square Garden
    4/22-24 - Coachella weekend 2

Nope. Fire marshall demanded that they start filling lot 4. This has been discussed in a couple of threads already. There's no way to prevent it, it happened to lots of us last year, it will likely happen again.

8/29: King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard @ The Rickshaw Stop
    8/29: Jack J @ 222 Hyde
    9/13: Dirtybird BBQ @ Treasure Island
    9/13: Man Man @ The Independent
    9/18: The Acid @ The Chapel
    9/18: Octave One, Solar, Vin Sol @ Mighty
    9/20: Max Graef, Huxley, Glenn Astro @ The Midway
    9/23-27: Decibel Festival
    9/29: Titus Andronicus @ The Chapel

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Nope. Fire marshall demanded that they start filling lot 4. This has been discussed in a couple of threads already. There's no way to prevent it, it happened to lots of us last year, it will likely happen again.
    This sounds like an excuse from a CSC supervisor who didn't want to admit that they can't park the cars fast enough.

Either way, maybe we can't prevent it once we're there, but there is absolutely a way for Coachella and event staff to plan and coordinate this so that traffic doesn't need to be re-routed to the bullshit lot.

Since this has been happening for years with no changes, I'm guessing their mindset is "fuck it, we don't care" instead of trying to fix anything.

There is a solution but they have no incentive to find it.
    Last edited by enginedown; 04-02-2015 at 02:37 PM.

It wasn't a CSC person who told us this.

#firstworldproblems
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

I was in lot 4 last year, it was too damn far i might as well had drove there on Friday morning to be honest

I was in lot 4 last year, what whaaaaaat

So if lot 4 is going to be filled first, what would be the best time to arrive in line on Thursday then? I was gonna try to be there by 6 something AM originally but I'll do anything to avoid getting into the furthest camping site from the entrance. My ankles wouldn't be able to handle it.

Lot 4 isn't filled first. That's not how it works. At some point -- and there's no way to accurately predict "when" this will be, they will start diverting cars to lot 4 while at the same time continuing to fill lot 8. If you are there at 6 am, you probably have a good chance of being put into lot 8, but it's still no guarantee.

Cool, thanks

Sometimes you're in Lot 8, sometimes you're in Lot 4, but all the times you are at Coachella.

Don't whine.

Quote Originally Posted by irthesteve View Post
    Sometimes you're in Lot 8, sometimes you're in Lot 4, but all the times you are at Coachella.

Don't whine.
    Fuck me for wanting the best experience possible, right?

Our group got put in lot four even though we showed up early and wasn't miserable at all. Sure the walk is a little further but it's still the same festival. Whats more miserable than the walk is people complaining about a little over a quarter mile walk(estimate) in to the grounds where you're on your feet the whole day anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by elbrycen View Post
    Lot 5 *was* awesome. I don't understand why they discontinued it. :{

Quote Originally Posted by aphrael View Post
    Lot 5 *was* awesome. I don't understand why they discontinued it. :{
    They use lot 5 for vendor/staff camping now.

My group got the random lot 4 shaft last year but I ended up really liking it by the end of the weekend. On Thursday there were a couple big groupls that had set up party tents. Shower lines were always shorter. It's a 5-10 minute walk to the main gate. No big deal.
    2012: Coachella Wknd 1, CMF, NXNE, Osheaga
    2013: LA Psych Fest, Coachella Wknd 1, CMF, Field Trip Fest, NXNE, Bonnaroo, Electric Eclectic, Harvest Fest, Iceland Airwaves.