Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The good and the bad of it

Default The good and the bad of it

Post your weekend 1 reviews here--what was great, what sucked, what they need to keep, what they need to fix, etc. Remember, they read and listen to these things, and they take feedback seriously!
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyInHeaven View Post
    Devin - how does it feel to know that there are still more women in the world that would fuck me at this very moment than would fuck you?

Default Re: The good and the bad of it

Great:
    -The first parking lot open was lot 2a. This caused confusion on the first day but paid off at the end of the night. Took a couple of minutes to exit the lot on the first two days and only about 15 minutes Sunday.
    - the lighting of the various paths made it easy to follow.
    - the expanded Beer Barn was our refuge throughout the weekend.
    - I liked the rearrangement of the Yuma as it negated the bottleneck next to the Beer Barn.

Good but needs work:
    - Permanent bathrooms were great, but they had some maintenance issues.
    - Credit Card payment, contrary to advertisement not available everywhere.

Um, No:
    -WiFi was a joke.

Good on wifi. They shouldn't even offer it, put the phones away for a few days.

Can anybody post a picture of the set times booklet, and was there a Camp magazine this year?

Supplying wifi isn't cheap either. Large conferences (~30,000) will spend $500,000+ for 3-4 days of reliable service.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    For me, wifi in the various beer gardens is the clearest indication yet that "experience" is taking priority over the bookings.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

And for those who went in, impressions on the Yuma? Bigger or smaller as compared to last year? Was the new location convenient or a positive change? Any issues waiting to get in like in the first year?
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Pretty much everything was improved. The taps in the beer barn weren't as good as last year, but the usb outlets were a nice addition. This however did lead me to noticing the huge and awful Sunday crowd. I don't know what happened there. Camping bathrooms seemed particularly bad imo especially the red path ones.
    ACxDC 2015

Yuma was ok. Good size, but placement seemed to only benefit campers
    ACxDC 2015

whiney pain in butt nationocean's Avatar

so the inside of Yuma was essentially the same? That's kinda disappointing. Any crazy lines to get in it before a particular DJ set?

and i'm still confused, was there no beer viewing area over by the MainStage? or is that all VIP now?

Quote Originally Posted by nationocean View Post
    and i'm still confused, was there no beer viewing area over by the MainStage? or is that all VIP now?
    VIP in that area is the same as it was. They expanded the GA area all the way to the southern permanent fence, taking up the space that was previously the entrance to the fest grounds. They moved the circle full bar that way and positioned more food trucks around that parameter. I wouldn't say more stuff, just more space.

The biggest beer garden cluster I experienced was on the Outdoor theatre side of the north beer garden during Chet Faker.
    Last edited by PlayaDelWes; 04-13-2015 at 01:05 PM.

Meaning the bottleneck into the bathrooms?

That is definitely something that super sucks at night time.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

did anyone mock the rape t-shirt guy?
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    i found it funny to see people posting from the fest and then responding to other people's posts about the fest. yo dawg.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

How were those new bathrooms?

Good:
    The art was fantastic this year. I loved the hippos.
    The nicer bathrooms were great and lines moved quickly
    Sound quality was great at all the stages
    The Yuma still has disco shark
    El Dorado camping was worth the extra money. Really nice amenities.
    Better food over all
    Everything was really spread out so there was no cluster fuck
    Yuma lines weren't bad
    Yuma was the place to be if you wanna see drama. There was an O.D., a couple of fist fights, and the security guards danced with us between kicking people out.

Suck:

The food vendors did not have their shit together. Some weren't open until Saturday in the camp ground, some closed early at night, several vendors were not ready when the venue opened. When I tried to get my first freshers they didn't have any fucking cups.

El Dorado promised monogrammed pillows and that was a lie.
    I was sitting down during Jack White and when I looked over, two people were fucking. Seriously?
    Last edited by Squeaks; 04-13-2015 at 04:24 PM.
    Oh look it stopped snowing...

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    And for those who went in, impressions on the Yuma? Bigger or smaller as compared to last year? Was the new location convenient or a positive change? Any issues waiting to get in like in the first year?
    Posted this in another thread:

Yuma was much larger. Also, the entrance was completely reconfigured to allow for people to move to empty parts of the tent immediately instead of being funneled into one door and forced into a slow moving line in the dark. They also got rid of the bathrooms and the outdoor portion which to me is a big misstep. That was my favorite addition to Yuma from last year. I think that they didn't like how long people were just hanging out in the outdoor section and clogging up the area. Now people are constantly moving/recycling and that definitely cuts down on any waiting to get into Yuma.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Pretty much everything was improved. The taps in the beer barn weren't as good as last year, but the usb outlets were a nice addition. This however did lead me to noticing the huge and awful Sunday crowd. I don't know what happened there.
    The same thing happened last year with the craft beer garden; day one and two was really empty and chill and day three was ridiculously packed. I think all of the idiots realize exactly what it is on the second day and don't actually get to go until the third day.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaks View Post
    El Dorado promised monogrammed pillows and that was a lie.
    I was sitting down during Jack White and when I looked over, two people were fucking. Seriously?
    hahahaha I love this combo of complaints sooo much

in seriousness though I wonder how many babies will be born 9 months from now, I was thinking more because of the Weeknd, but bc he and Jack are the same night, THE WORLD MAY NEVER KNOW
    Quote Originally Posted by svatomictwist View Post
    I spin in both directions, and I also dance in FRACTIONS.
    2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011!!!, 2012 (w1), 2013 (w2), 2014! (w2), 2015!! (w2)...

CONS

Large group waiting area had 5 lanes (zones) that could hold maybe 30 cars each lane. We were told that if our party wasn't in a zone and we couldn't complete our group, we only had 15 - 20 mins to be there. Staff said that car camping isn't made for large groups. ( we lost 4 cars in our group to this problem)

When staff was assigning cars to a camping spots they were putting them all in a row and not zig zagging. This pissed a lot of people off as they couldn't camp behind their friends.

No showers in lot 8 really sucked.

No art installs in camping. ( It was so nice having all those art installs on the end of your street in 2014)
    Everyone's a Photographer

You mean like the playhouses?

Quote Originally Posted by blueduck View Post
    When staff was assigning cars to a camping spots they were putting them all in a row and not zig zagging. This pissed a lot of people off as they couldn't camp behind their friends.
    Woa really? That fucking blows. Did anyone else have this same issue?

Another thing that really sucked was no Camp magazine!
    Oh look it stopped snowing...

Hate to keep correcting you.... but there was indeed a Camp magazine and it was full of great well written articles and even a touching tribute to Randy.

They even had Camp magazines on the last day... inside the festival. The record store had them all weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaks View Post
    Another thing that really sucked was no Camp magazine!
    I could probably grab one for you guys next weekend.

Great:
    -Barely any wait times to get into the venue
    -I felt like I had way more space pretty much everywhere this year, either less crowded or did they actually expand?

Bad/Needs Improvement:
    -The sound at the Gobi was not doing it for me. The sound was pretty much only coming from the stage while the hanging speakers were pretty quiet.
    -I really think Coachella can do a better job with the art installations. Didn't see anything that really took me by surprise. For it being the vacation-from-LA festival, there has to be some brilliant people that can put something together.

Flight Facilities 02/25 @ Fonda

Overall I thought that this was a truly exceptional and world class Coachella. Logistically, this festival has never been better.

PROS:
    - Logistics were near perfect. I never waited too long for anything, getting in and out was a breeze, the "flow" for lack of a better word was really great.
    - Sound at all stages was fantastic.
    - This was some of the most uniformly impressive set of performers I have ever seen here. Everybody who wasn't named Aubrey was exceptional. I have no idea why we thought this lineup was so unimpressive because we had so much to see at every given moment, and it was all really, really good.
    - SOO FUCKING EASY GETTING GOOD SPOTS. This was amazing in some ways, but I'll talk about the negatives in the "Cons".
    - The beer garden was so great this year. The expanded size really helped, the food was fantastic.
    - Food in general was great this year.

CONS:
    - This festival needs to make a decision about what direction it is going and can't stand on the fence for too much longer. It was great to be able to walk to Terje, Kasabian, etc and get prime spots, but really...anything in the Sahara or sort of "Sahara crossover" (we went to Gorgon City and that was packed) was overflowing. We walked by Cashmere Cat in the afternoon and that was spilling out the back, while Toro y Moi had a much more modest crowd (just for comparison purposes). The issue is that everybody who is not "SAHARA!!" is getting shitty sized crowds. Now, that's great for us, sure, but I can't imagine acts are getting too excited to play when they keep hearing about how small the crowds are at the "good" acts. I'm so exhausted so I can't explain it eloquently but it's like two festivals going on, and more and more people seem to be coming for SAHARA and not COACHELLA. Yes I sort of understand the "book Kaskade for some and Jehu for others" but when people are disproportionately coming for Kaskade and Jehu draws like 10 people that's an issue. The non-Sahara crowd this year was probably the best, friendliest, most respectful I've ever seen, so it's not that the crowd is bad perse, but that a more clear choice is going to have to be made.
    - The taxi meetup place or whatever was truly awful. It took us for-fucking-ever to get a taxi on Saturday night. Hour and a half. It was insane!! We only did that one night and we've never done that before at Coachella, so I don't know if Uber was the way to go or this was a one time thing or what, but on an otherwise perfect logistics Coachella it stuck out as something that needs to be reconfigured.

It's called nuke the fucking Sahara.

Ratatat's crowd was so fucking disrespectful and ridiculous compared to everything else I saw all weekend that I was taken aback. I had the best crowd experiences at this festival this year, and then dealt with so many assholes in the 30 minutes or so we stayed there. It was a shock to the system just because everywhere else had been so wonderful.

I think Ryan Adams had the worst crowd of the weekend. It was a tiny, extremely drunk, and talkative VIP type crowd that ruined many of the quiet moments of that set.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by ficklecycle View Post
    Woa really? That fucking blows. Did anyone else have this same issue?
    No, I had the exact opposite experience. We had 16 cars and we were able to wait until everybody got into the waiting area before making our move to the campgrounds. When we got to our street, they tried lining us up in a row until we told them we were in a group and they were totally cool with us setting up back to back.

Quote Originally Posted by DFrank View Post
    Bad/Needs Improvement:
    -The sound at the Gobi was not doing it for me. The sound was pretty much only coming from the stage while the hanging speakers were pretty quiet.
    Thought this was especially noticeable for Kaytranada
    Last edited by spence; 04-13-2015 at 09:53 PM.