Thread: If downloading albums cost $4 would you buy more often?

Default If downloading albums cost $4 would you buy more often?

Would that make you buy more records? Recently some big albums have been available in the 3-5 dollar range online, and they've done well.

I'm curious to know if the downloading issue could be somewhat mitigated by just lowering the price of digital albums to the same as what people pay for a fancy coffe drink, or a beer.

Default Re: If downloading albums cost $4 would you buy more often?

No.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

this 5 minute rule is bullshit

The murder capital where we murder for capital

No. Downloading will not go away or even be signifcantly reduced if albums were $4. People are going to continue to steal because they aren't likely to get busted and they have already justified it with the idea that the artist isn't making money on the album anyway. Which is a silly notion. The fight is over though, the labels are fucked and the artists have been forced to get creative. In fact it just gets worse for labels in 2 years when the act from the 70's expires and even the big selling classic artists can reclaim their rights. All they have to do is ask in writing. Those rights that have already been sold to others or that have been passed around a few times won't be affected.

Here's some info on that if you haven't heard.

http://www.bvblackspin.com/2009/11/2...ights-in-2013/

Sufjan Stevens people were very cranky about the price drop Amazon gave Age of Adz, as I recall.

To answer your question - if physical CDs were aroundabout a fiver, I would probably buy them more. However, it's worth saying that at least part what turns me off about paying for downloads that the process is messy and annoying. I don't have a credit card and I hate iTunes with every fibre of my being, so buying music online is a fucking chore.

For me to buy an album download, I have to-

a) Buy a disposable credit card/ voucher, which will always have an unusable balance left over.

b) Create an account with whoever I'm buying from. Have some spam.

c) Fill in my details. What the hell was my dog's maiden name?

d) Download whatever buggy gigantically bloated app they favour (optional).

e) Find music I actually want.

f) Proceed to checkout.

g) Discover that this purchase is not available in my region.

h) Try and pay for it. WHY DON'T THEY WANT MY MONEY.

i) Session has expired!

j) Throw laptop into the bin.

Or, alternatively -

a) Google album title + .rar

b) Download album.

I've exaggerated for effect a little, but honestly, it boggles my mind that this never seems to come up in these conversations, because it's a huge disincentive for me personally.
    Last edited by MissingPerson; 02-28-2011 at 10:02 AM.

The only format I'm willing to pay for at all is vinyl unless I can't find a certain release for free online and absolutely must have it. Or if I'm at a show or something and want to buy a piece of merch in appreciation and all there is are CDs. But pretty much never for a download that's otherwise available. Bands should start online tip jars though. I bet I would give Sonic Youth a few bucks after listening to Daydream Nation for the umpteenth time while drunk and amazed.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

The online tip jar thing is a great idea, I've always wondered why they don't do that. I've bought loads of hoodies and t shirts I didn't need in an attempt to sooth my downloader guilt, but God knows, a good chunk of that never reaches the band.

I do think 4 dollarish downloads are probably going to be a lot more common from here on out, and they do seem to be working for some bands, but the price isn't the only issue now. Perhaps if downloads had been that much cheaper than their physical counterparts from the get go, the music industry could have headed off the other problems because we wouldn't have all gotten quite so accustomed to the relative convenience of illegal downloads. It's too late for that now though, and the lower price trend is too late to be the sole saviour of everything.

IMHO, you now also need to recognise that you're now competing with the user experience of illegal downloading, as outlined above. Are you punishing people for trying to go legit, rather than pirating? Are you offering anything that the user can't really get anywhere else? Something that would make your audience want to bother deleting the shitty leak they've already got, and swap it out for your download?

The former I've already covered, and in the case of the latter, I'm thinking of Arcade Fire's liner note slideshow/ easter egg hunt - which I think is a potentially very exciting concept, if only a qualified success in practice so far. Land of Talk do bundles, where you can buy a CD + gig ticket + t shirt, which is another idea I quite like. I'd like to see more of that creative approach, where there's a better balance of carrot and stick and you aren't engaging in an adversarial relationship with your own ticket buying public.
    Last edited by MissingPerson; 03-02-2011 at 08:20 AM.

no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysonBandivas View Post
    I want to know more about this festival.

At this point why pay when you can have it for free. If they started this 5 years ago maybe more ppl would have bought into it

I actually DO NOT steal music. I buy all my albums. However, I'm perfectly happy to trade with those who have stolen it.
    5/1/15 - Sleater Kinney @Palladium // 5/3/15 - Liturgy and Lightning Bolt @Echoplex // 5/8-5/10 Austin Psych Fest // 5/15-17/15 - Psycho CA @ Observatory // 5/22/15 - Laura Jane Grace @ Hollywood Forever Cemetary // 5/27/15 - Neutral Milk Hotel @ Warner Grand Theater // 6/3/15 - Sufjan Stevens @ Dorothy Chandler // 7/15/15 - Shellac @ Regent // 7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy

If a vinyl LP cost $4 would you download less?

^ yes

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    If a vinyl LP cost $4 would you download less?
    i would buy the vinyl and then pirate it because my computer doesn't have an LP drive

One of my friends downloaded "In Rainbows" for free rather than paying anything, just out of principle. I really don't think a price reduction will prevent people from downloading for free, but I do think it would encourage the people who already pay to download on iTunes to buy more.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
    I do think it would encourage the people who already pay to download on iTunes to buy more.
    Absolutely. Out of 14,000 tracks in my collection, maybe 300-400 are illegal. Most of them are 1)from CD's that people loaned/burned me or 2)Miscellaneous things that I downloaded because they weren't available legally or I would have never purchased at any price. The majority are ripped from CDs I physically own. The rest are either purchased from Amazon MP3, or from an e-music subscription.

Downloading legally used to be a pain, because whether through i-tunes or Rhapsody, I always wound up burning to CD and re-ripping to get rid of the DRM. With Amazon MP3, I just grab whatever at a reasonable price and do whatever I want with it. Having it on my phone increases my impulse purchasing.

However, I definitely spend much less money now on music than I used to, just for financial reasons. Cheaper downloads would encourage me to buy more. I'm so glad the days of the $16.99 CD is over.

newp

Quote Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
    One of my friends downloaded "In Rainbows" for free rather than paying anything, just out of principle. I really don't think a price reduction will prevent people from downloading for free, but I do think it would encourage the people who already pay to download on iTunes to buy more.
    yeah that's probably true

and i would totally start a vinyl collection if records cost 5 bucks

Downloading sucks. Period. If new, factory pressed CDs were around $5.00 a pop, I'd think the music industry would move a lot more product. Heck, I find myself buying tons of used CDs simply because they're so much cheaper (in many cases) than a new one. I mean, why pay $16.-$18. for a "new" disc when you can pick it up used for $7.-$8. and many times even less? But downloading, nah. Never. Takes too much time, doesn't sound as good (as most factory pressed CDs or even vinyl), no artwork unless you design your own (usually). Not into it.
    "Some people just need a hi-five in the face."

Quote Originally Posted by RODGERRAMJET View Post
    Downloading sucks. Period. If new, factory pressed CDs were around $5.00 a pop, I'd think the music industry would move a lot more product. Heck, I find myself buying tons of used CDs simply because they're so much cheaper (in many cases) than a new one. I mean, why pay $16.-$18. for a "new" disc when you can pick it up used for $7.-$8. and many times even less? But downloading, nah. Never. Takes too much time, doesn't sound as good (as most factory pressed CDs or even vinyl), no artwork unless you design your own (usually). Not into it.
    The time it takes you to go to the store and buy one CD, I can download 10 albums in FLAC format which will be just as good, or better, than that CD or vinyl you just bought. I can then get the artwork online (even the notes, in most cases).

I'm not sure when the last time you downloaded music was, but it's either been years, or you're doing it wrong.

I, however, will not buy MP3's. DRM or quality are usually an issue with purchased digital downloads. If I like what I'm listening to, I will generally pick up the CD or Vinyl. I've discovered a lot of great music this way that I wouldn't have otherwise purchased. I do realize that this is not the norm. Most people just steal it and are done with it. I like to show my support, even if the money isn't going to the artists, the purchase will help encourage the label to fund future albums.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Women just obviously can't write creative music. They're all ripping off the Beatles, who were men. Duh.

$14 bucks a month for unlimited downloads on Napster. That's all I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaredgarl View Post
    $14 bucks a month for unlimited downloads on Napster. That's all I need.
    do you get to rip files to portable MP3s? as i understood it, you can stream all you want and "save" favorites - but the content is still tethered to the site right?

best site I've seen and used is

mp3million.com

the albums cost only $1.25 and the quality is crystal clear...songs are $0.10 each
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing