Page 182 of 214 FirstFirst ... 177178179180181182183184185186187 ... LastLast
Results 5,431 to 5,460 of 6420

Thread: King of Limbs...

Default Re: King of Limbs...

where's the fun in that?

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

It's ironic when bands use symbolism that is a literal interpretation of a song's title.
    last.fm
    7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy // 8/22/15-8/23/15 - FYF Fest @ Exposition Park // 9/17/15 - Hum w/Mineral @ Regent //9/26/15 - Titus Andronicus @ Roxy
    10/20/15 - Blur @ Hollywood Bowl // 11/12/15 - Desaparacidos @ Teragram Ballroom // 11/21/15 - Blind Guardian @ City National Grove of Anaheim

House of Cards make me feel sad.
    NEW SIG

Radiohead is supposed to make you feel sad Amy. Happy Radiohead sucks.

Thus spake Nirvana fan.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    I also REALLY loved the visuals for YAWA. So weird and awesome... One of my favorite songs, so happy to hear it at my favorite place.
    Probably one of my favorite moments ever at Coachella... I could barely stand after that.

Quote Originally Posted by ficklecycle View Post
    Probably one of my favorite moments ever at Coachella... I could barely stand after that.
    Did you remind Thom that he is your God?
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    Did you remind Thom that he is your God?
    Yeah, then we rolled a blunt with Tupac after he rose him back from the dead.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Radiohead is supposed to make you feel sad Amy. Happy Radiohead sucks.
    I think I dwell in a sadder state that most people. I'm saying House of Cards make me sadder than that even. It reminds me of something dumb I did.
    NEW SIG

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

House of Cards' lyrical content quality makes me sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

I think I enjoyed weekend 2 more, but probably only because I was much closer this time. And Exit Music was fuckin great. Everybody around me was actually pretty quiet, which was impressive. Can't believe no fake plastic or national anthem for either weekend...WTF?

You were all right that their new stuff sounds much better live. I guess this has always been a given with Radiohead, but I disliked the new album enough to be skeptical. I just don't understand why they can't just make their albums sound like that?

And I don't mean to beat a dead horse but: I understand they are not a juke box, and they can play whatever they want at their own shows, but at a festival show it would be nice of them to put their egos aside for a minute and at least bust out a few more of the older hits. Whatever though...they were still great.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

Quote Originally Posted by Sexecutioner View Post
    And I don't mean to beat a dead horse but: I understand they are not a juke box, and they can play whatever they want at their own shows, but at a festival show it would be nice of them to put their egos aside for a minute and at least bust out a few more of the older hits. Whatever though...they were still great.
    I actually thought they did a pretty good job with this (weekend 1 at least). I mean, I wasn't expecting Karma Police, Lucky, Everything in Its Right Place, Idioteque, etc. I expected a few of these... but not all.

Belle & Sebastian - 8/28 - ACL Live
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor - 9/14 - The Mohawk
    Chelsea Wolfe - 9/19 - The Mohawk
    Titus Andronicus - 9/20 - Red 7
    Thee Oh Sees - 9/23 - Hotel Vegas
    Leon Bridges - 10/2 - The Parish

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    I actually thought they did a pretty good job with this (weekend 1 at least). I mean, I wasn't expecting Karma Police, Lucky, Everything in Its Right Place, Idioteque, etc. I expected a few of these... but not all.
    Yea, I agree they played less new stuff than normal, which is better than nothing I guess, but in it's place was just more standard stuff off In Rainbows and Kid A. Exit Music and Lucky were great additions, but some Bends stuff would have been nice.

How is playing your new materiel some kind of self-indulgent ego trip? The band has been around for 20 years and are still creating great music that they're obviously excited about, otherwise they wouldn't be playing it every night. It will be a sad day when Radiohead has resorted to a greatest hits set with no new materiel, because it will probably be a one-off reunion show at some AIDS benefit in 2035 after the band has been broken up for a decade.

"We play new songs to remind ourselves that we're still alive." Paraphrasing... but you get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    How is playing your new materiel some kind of self-indulgent ego trip? The band has been around for 20 years and are still creating great music that they're obviously excited about, otherwise they wouldn't be playing it every night. It will be a sad day when Radiohead has resorted to a greatest hits set with no new materiel, because it will probably be a one-off reunion show at some AIDS benefit in 2035 after the band has been broken up for a decade.
    Yup. Tomaz said something similar after the Glendale show.
    Last edited by Gribbz; 04-23-2012 at 05:21 PM.

"We play new songs to remind ourselves that we're still alive." Paraphrasing... but you get the idea.

Yup. Tomaz said something similar after the Glendale show.
    Great minds think alike, Gribz.

Had to.

8/30 - Erykah Badu/St. Vincent - Hollywood Bowl
    9/17 - Hum/Mineral - Regent
    9/21 - Psychic TV - Teragram (?)
    9/22 - Laetitia Sadier - Echo
    9/24 - Stars of the Lid - Regent

Quote Originally Posted by LtLoisEinhorn View Post
    Once Morrissey realizes he's on a poster/lineup with an act called 'Horse Meat Disco' he will Cancel.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

OK so they've played 47 songs if you count Subterranean Homesick Alien and Like Spinning Plates from the 2011 shows.

Can someone more autistic than me provide the list of songs that have been soundchecked but not played?

Like I said, at their own shows that's great, play the whole shitty new album. Most people there will eat it up regardless. But at a festival when there are a lot of casual fans, it would be nice to play some songs that your average joe knows and can rock out to. Not saying they can't play new songs, I just think they could use a bit more balance, that's all. And by the ego comment, I meant playing what they want cause it makes them feel good is a bit selfish as opposed to playing what the crowd wants. They are still entertainers after all...but hey, they have earned the right to play whatever they want I guess. Again, I'm only referring to festivals when I say that.

Exit Music was the one song of their's that I really wanted to hear live and hadn't before, so I forgave the rest of the average setlist. Was cool to see Kid A though. The crowd sucked.

In fact, the Coachella crowd in general seemed very docile, even for bands like Refused and ATDI. The crowds in the UK are more fun (but maybe too violent)

And by the ego comment, I meant playing what they want cause it makes them feel good is a bit selfish as opposed to playing what the crowd wants. They are still entertainers after all...but hey, they have earned the right to play whatever they want I guess. Again, I'm only referring to festivals when I say that.
    You act like Thom pulled an Andy Kaufman and just read the Great Gatsby for the entire set. That would be selfish. A few questions:

1) How many audience members did you poll to determine the collective wants and desires of "the crowd."
    2) How come I didn't get a vote. I wanted to hear new and old materiel, and I got exactly what I wanted.

I was not a huge fan of The King of Limbs. After hearing a good portion of the album live, I now have a much greater appreciation for the new materiel. I wouldn't trade that new experience for any of the "hits" we didn't get from The Bends or any of the other albums you feel they neglected. You didn't get the set list you wanted to hear so you think Thom and Co. are selfish for holding out on you. Don't presume to speak for the rest of "the crowd."

You act like Thom pulled an Andy Kaufman and just read the Great Gatsby for the entire set.
    I wish I could have seen Bradford Cox play that 18 minute rendition of "My Sharona."

You act like Thom pulled an Andy Kaufman and just read the Great Gatsby for the entire set. That would be selfish. A few questions:

1) How many audience members did you poll to determine the collective wants and desires of "the crowd."
    2) How come I didn't get a vote. I wanted to hear new and old materiel, and I got exactly what I wanted.

I was not a huge fan of The King of Limbs. After hearing a good portion of the album live, I now have a much greater appreciation for the new materiel. I wouldn't trade that new experience for any of the "hits" we didn't get from The Bends or any of the other albums you feel they neglected. You didn't get the set list you wanted to hear so you think Thom and Co. are selfish for holding out on you. Don't presume to speak for the rest of "the crowd."
    Um, I was there both weekends and interacted with a bunch of people and a lot of the people I talked to said they were bored by the new stuff. Please don't pretend like I am the only one who feels this way. There is even a another thread about this exact topic in the lineup section. And again, I enjoyed the show quite a bit, and also appreciate the new material more after seeing it live, but I just think it's sad that the band totally dismisses a giant chunk of their older material when so many people like those songs. I totally understand that they are sick of those songs, but at the same time part of being a great entertainer is giving the crowd what they want. And yes, I know you got what you want, and I am happy for you, but a lot of people didn't. It's not like I expect them to play greatest hits every night, but throw the festivals a bone please. I really dont want to keep arguing about this, like I said, it's a dead horse at this point. I was just stating my opinion for the record. Move along...nothing to see here...

I wish I could have seen Bradford Cox play that 18 minute rendition of "My Sharona."
    Lolz. Heard about that one. That's one way to deal with hecklers. Ryan Adams should take note in case another asshole screams out a request for "Summer of '69" during one of his sets.

Quote Originally Posted by shermanoaksyo View Post
    OK so they've played 47 songs if you count Subterranean Homesick Alien and Like Spinning Plates from the 2011 shows.

Can someone more autistic than me provide the list of songs that have been soundchecked but not played?
    Maybe

Looking at the two Coachella sets I see nothing wrong with either one of them, it actually follows a perfect formula for a headlining slot at a popular music festival... Plug your new album, play a couple hits, a few more popular fan boy tracks and cash the fucking check. I have never really seen a band in a headlining slot simply play the hits all night, that would be pretty fucking obnoxious.

Quote Originally Posted by shermanoaksyo View Post

You need to get fucking laid ASAP friendo...

LOL

You didn't get the set list you wanted to hear so you think Thom and Co. are selfish for holding out on you.
    Radiohead are so fucking selfish, I've seen them 6 times and never once heard 'Let Down', which is the one song everyone in the crowd wants them to play. I know this. I do.