Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Lineup: 5 Smart, 5 Dumb, 5 Missed

Default 2016 Lineup: 5 Smart, 5 Dumb, 5 Missed

Haven't seen this thread pop up yet, and it's one I like. Out of all of the artists on this year's lineup, pick 5 smart bookings, 5 dumb ones, and 5 artists that you believe are sorely missing on this year's lineup. I'll start:

Smart:
    1. LCD Soundsystem
    2. Underworld
    3. Sufjan Stevens
    4. Hudson Mohawke
    5. Mr. Carmack

Dumb:
    1. Disclosure (I actually like them, but we didn't need them back so soon)
    2. Calvin Harris
    3. G-Eazy
    4. Halsey
    5. Zedd

Missing:
    1. Kendrick Lamar
    2. Chemical Brothers
    3. Breakbot (thought he was confirmed?)
    4. Justice
    5. Hop Along

Lurker

Default Re: 2016 Lineup: 5 Smart, 5 Dumb, 5 Missed

Missing:
    Two Door Cinema Club

Smart
    LCD Soundsystem
    Underworld
    Sufjan Stevens
    The Last Shadow Puppets
    Sophie

Dumb
    Having most of my must sees on Friday
    G Eazy
    Ellie Goulding with Staple Show
    Zedd(I love Zedd too but he has a staple show coming up and he just played)

Missing
    Missy Elliot
    Animal Collective
    Mura Masa
    The Chemical Brothers
    Travis Scott
    Coachella Weekend 1 & 2

I'll play -

Smart:
    1. LCD Soundsystem
    2. Sufjan Stevens
    3. Mbongwana Star - really exciting progressive afro-pop
    4. Algiers - heard bad things on this board today about them live but they have one of the few geniunely fresh sounds I heard last year.
    5a. Kamasi Washington - Could be the show of the entire festival.
    5b. Ex-Hex, Matthew Dear, Deafheaven, Alvvays, Rhye - make up bookings for acts that should have been on poster last year or two years prior.

Dumb (so many lazy repeat bookings this year, but among the worst are...)
    1. Edward Sharpe And The Magnetic Zeros - how does anyone take this act seriously
    2. The Heavy - like their "hit" but otherwise just don't get this one.
    3. Run The Jewels - Seems unnecessary when so huge rap/soul acts (Kendrick/D'Angelo) left off.
    4. Disclosure - 3rd time in four years - new album not good - the new Hot Chip of the festival.
    5. Cold War Kids, Silversun Pickups - with all the younger rock/indie acts left off this year - why???

Missing Grouping by sub-genres
    1. Kendrick Lamar/Donnie Trumpet and the Social Experiment.
    2. D'Angelo
    3. Hop Along/Screaming Females/Torres
    4. Tobias Jesso Jr.
    5. Viet Cong/Ought/Protomartyr/Royal Headache
    LCD Soundsystem - Sufjan Stevens - M83 - The Kills - Lord Huron - St. Germaine - Savages - Bob Moses - Mavis Staples - Haelos - Mbongwana Star

Guns 'N' Roses - Ice Cube - Courtney Barnett - Gary Clark Jr - Lush - Deerhunter - Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Rhye - Bat For Lashes - The Damned - Shamir - Ex-Hex - Alvvays - Matthew Dear - Algiers

Kamasi Washington - Rancid - Miike Snow - Death Grips - Wolf Alice - Pete Yorn - Deafheaven - Young Fathers - The Vandals - Delux - Girl Pool

Smart
    1. Miike Snow
    2. Wolf Alice
    3. M83
    4. Lush
    5. LCD Soundsystem and Despacio!

Dumb
    1. GNR, for so so many reasons. They suck and will create unwanted drama.
    2. Ice Cube. Saturday is the day to DoLab! Cube has never been very good on his own and in light of all the excellent hiphop here he's just going to look old and faded.
    3. Of Monsters And Men. Mediocre easy listening that no one "loves".
    4. Calvin Harris* (as headliner). Not as good as Guetta and Guetta's not good. Makes Coachella boring if that's the big name. (*- if he brings Taylor Swift this is a smart booking)
    5. The Kills* (*- if Jack White plays with them this is smart. Otherwise, they're dull.)

Missing
    1. The Smiths One day it will happen, probably the year we least expect it. Which looked like 2016 to me. Sigh.
    2.U2 2017 is the 30th anniversary of The Joshua Tree. Maybe they're already booked for next year.
    3.Kendrick Lamar or Childish Gambino Coachella gets the old hiphop. They get the edgy hiphop. Why can't they get the brainy hiphop?
    4.The Coral because I'm a big fan and I though maybe they'd get in with a new album.
    5. Everything Everything One of the most creative bands in the UK. Coachella would be the best entry for them in the USA.
    6. Parson Red Heads Could be the best ever mid-afternoon set. One of these years.
    7. The Dandy Warhols

Quote Originally Posted by michaelvk View Post
    5. The Kills* (*- if Jack White plays with them this is smart. Otherwise, they're dull.)
    Shit, that would actually be pretty great. I love The Kills regardless and will be at their show no matter what but if there was one thing I would change about their live show it would be having a live drummer. Doesn't even need to be Jack White as long as whoever it is is good.

Smart
    1. LCD Soundsystem
    2. Rancid
    3. Foals
    4. 2manydjs
    5. HEALTH

Dumb
    1. The 1975
    2. Matt & Kim
    3. James Bay
    4. The Chainsmokers
    5. G-Eazy

Missing
    1. Eagles of Death Metal
    2. Daft Punk
    3. The Prodigy
    4. Baroness
    5. The National (or at least EL VY)

anyways, 2016 is stacked, and will be incredible.

Smart:
    1. LCD Soundsystem
    2. Underworld (it's about fucking time, also makes up for no Chemical Brothers)
    3. Miike Snow
    4. 2manydjs
    5. Sia (something tells me this is going to be a really good set)

Dumb:
    1. Calvin Harris (shit headliner)
    2. Guns N Roses (sorry, but there is no way I see this ending well. Either Axl pulls some ranting/late show shit or the whole performance is dull as fuck)
    3. Ice Cube
    4. Ellie Goulding (I guess Goldenvoice doesn't listen to her live sets because she is fucking awful)
    5. Halsey

Missing:
    1. Kendrick Lamar (Big disappointment. Weren't they trying to keep that hip-hop headliner trend going? This would have been the perfect booking for this year. The dude is about to clear out the Grammys, and they pick Calvin Fucking Harris over this genius? shameful)
    2. Coldplay (Actually thought there was a chance they could headline. Guess not. Would have been fun)
    3. Breakbot
    4. Robert Plant (Okay, I'm still a little jealous of Bonaroo last year. Wish Robert could experience Coachella though.)
    5. Chemical Brothers (I'm very happy with Underworld in the lineup, but it would have been nice to see the Chemical Brothers change lives again at the main stage)
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceArthur32 View Post
    what happens if someone makes a masturbation while i dancing so fast?
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Ohh are you laughing Lithium??! You are soooo cool. You know so much more than everyone else don't you? Nerd.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbellingham View Post
    Thanks for your comment, Major Asshole (Lithium )
    Quote Originally Posted by mb1234 View Post
    Why is this Lithium guy so pissy about everything

Smart:
    1. Underworld
    2. M83
    3. LCD
    4. Guns N Roses (Everyone is talking about it)
    5. Gary Clark Jr.

Dumb:
    1. Disclosure - not even headlining and 3 out 4 years... wut?
    2. Jack U or Major Lazer - pretty much same artist/set twice in one weekend.
    3. 1975 - did I miss something about these guys?
    4. Ellie Goulding - playing too close to the festival in the same area.
    5. Calvin Harris - This could be dumb if its just him DJing a basic set. If he surprises everyone with a live type show with guests, it could be great for EDM headliners of the future.

Missed:
    1. The Chemical Bros.
    2. The Prodigy
    3. Death Cab
    4. Kendrick
    5. Sigor Ros

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    I'll play -

Smart:
    1. LCD Soundsystem
    2. Sufjan Stevens
    3. Mbongwana Star - really exciting progressive afro-pop
    4. Algiers - heard bad things on this board today about them live but they have one of the few geniunely fresh sounds I heard last year.
    5a. Kamasi Washington - Could be the show of the entire festival.
    5b. Ex-Hex, Matthew Dear, Deafheaven, Alvvays, Rhye - make up bookings for acts that should have been on poster last year or two years prior.

Dumb (so many lazy repeat bookings this year, but among the worst are...)
    1. Edward Sharpe And The Magnetic Zeros - how does anyone take this act seriously
    2. The Heavy - like their "hit" but otherwise just don't get this one.
    3. Run The Jewels - Seems unnecessary when so huge rap/soul acts (Kendrick/D'Angelo) left off.
    4. Disclosure - 3rd time in four years - new album not good - the new Hot Chip of the festival.
    5. Cold War Kids, Silversun Pickups - with all the younger rock/indie acts left off this year - why???

Missing Grouping by sub-genres
    1. Kendrick Lamar/Donnie Trumpet and the Social Experiment.
    2. D'Angelo
    3. Hop Along/Screaming Females/Torres
    4. Tobias Jesso Jr.
    5. Viet Cong/Ought/Protomartyr/Royal Headache
    I like you. Minus Algiers. I really hope they fire that one dude hahahah.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Smart
    1. LCD Soundsystem
    2. Despacio
    3. Underworld
    4. M83
    5. Bob Moses

Dumb
    1. Disclosure - 3 out of 4 years is absolutely not necessary.
    2. Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros - seriously, how?! They haven't put music out since 2013, Jade left the band, they are just a disaster, they are pretty much doing the same thing they did back when they played in 2010.
    3. Halsey / James Bay - I legitimately don't know who these people are or how they got on the second line.
    4. Do we really need so much Diplo?
    5. Calvin Harris - I get that he has a big draw, but he JUST played the main stage in 2014. I can't imagine this will be much different. Maybe he'll shock everyone and bring back some stuff from "I Created Disco" but I'm not hopeful.

Missing
    1. Chemical Brothers - was reallllly hoping to get the chance to see them again after an awesome show in SF a few months back.
    2. Hot Chip - I figured with LCD there, they would be a lock.
    3. Chic - even Nile Rodgers said they would be there! Hoping he's not lying about 2017.
    4. Kendrick - I'm not much of a fan but was still surprised not to see him on the lineup.
    5. Missy Elliot - seemed logical, would have been amazing.
    '08 | '10 | '11 | '12 | '13.1 | '14.2 | '15.2 | '16.2 | '17.2

9/30-10/2: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass
    10/7-9: Desert Trip
    10/15-16: Treasure Island Music Festival
    10/28: The Magician @ 1015
    10/29: Ghost Ship @ Pier 70
    12/1: RFS DU SOL @ The Fillmore

The reasonable side of me thinks GV would have tried to get Kendrick for a headliner and he wouldn't do it for some reason or another but I really have no idea. Cause he just makes sense. But Calvin Harri$ also make$ $en$e.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbeckett View Post
    Shit, that would actually be pretty great. I love The Kills regardless and will be at their show no matter what but if there was one thing I would change about their live show it would be having a live drummer. Doesn't even need to be Jack White as long as whoever it is is good.
    But Jack White doesn't play with The Kills.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

No shit?

I didn't say it would or even could happen, I said it would be great if The Kills had a live drummer. It was a hypothetical, as in "wouldn't it be awesome if".
    Last edited by Wolfbeckett; 01-05-2016 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ianedery View Post
    Smart
    Missing
    1. Eagles of Death Metal
    2. Daft Punk
    3. The Prodigy
    4. Baroness
    5. The National (or at least EL VY)
    God Yes, can't believe I forgot EODM
    LCD Soundsystem - Sufjan Stevens - M83 - The Kills - Lord Huron - St. Germaine - Savages - Bob Moses - Mavis Staples - Haelos - Mbongwana Star

Guns 'N' Roses - Ice Cube - Courtney Barnett - Gary Clark Jr - Lush - Deerhunter - Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Rhye - Bat For Lashes - The Damned - Shamir - Ex-Hex - Alvvays - Matthew Dear - Algiers

Kamasi Washington - Rancid - Miike Snow - Death Grips - Wolf Alice - Pete Yorn - Deafheaven - Young Fathers - The Vandals - Delux - Girl Pool

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbeckett View Post
    No shit?

I didn't say it would or even could happen, I said it would be great if The Kills had a live drummer. It was a hypothetical, as in "wouldn't it be awesome if".
    Well, I suppose it's like they say. Anything's possible.
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

SMART:
    1. Underworld (because fuck yea)
    2. LCD Soundsystem (because I missed Coachella 2010)
    3. Deerhunter (because they weren't at FYF)
    4. Beach House (because Sunday night will have somebody chill to see opposite Calvin Harris or Major Lazer)
    5. Despacio (because it sounds rad as hell. Just hope they don't take away the great Yuma size and experience of last year. Hopefully an addition, not a replacement)

DUMB:
    1. Calvin Harris (fuck him if he's not playing all of "I Created Disco")
    2. Halsey (who?)
    3. Disclosure (because it'll never be the same experience as 2013 in the Gobi)
    4. GnR (mehhhhh)
    5. DJ Mustard (because every song just goes "hey!...hey!...hey!...hey!...hey!")

MISSED:
    1. David Bowie (just hearing his name a few times in the rumors got me too excited even though I knew it'd never happen)
    2. K.dot (duh? Maybe we'll see a surprise during Kamasi's set, but I doubt it)
    3. Radiohead (really wish they would have been on this lineup since Thom's been doing shows and playing new Rhead material)
    4. Sleep/Sunn-O))) (we need some sludge on this lineup)
    5. ISIS (I've been praying for a reunion for years and I've always hoped Coachella or FYF could make it happen)

Totally agree with you about Everything Everything...they are great....not sure why they have not really come over here..they played a few shows in 2013 (saw them at the Roxy) but nothing since....would have been a great Coachella get

Quote Originally Posted by Karnifexlol View Post
    2. K.dot (duh? Maybe we'll see a surprise during Kamasi's set, but I doubt it)
    Nah... there have been so many times I expected him to come out during Terrace Martin's shows and he doesn't. With that being said, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Terrace himself came out. That would be awesome. And Kamasi's dad of course.

SMART:
    1. LCD Soundsystem - duhhhh.
    2. Underworld - About time.
    3. Guns N' Roses - Not even a big fan, but it's a massive hype train.
    4. Courtney Barnett - Only snuck onto the lineup in 2014 and she blew up right after.
    5. Rancid - An often underserved genre at Coachella and festivals in general.

DUMB:
    1. G-Eazy - Just doesn't fit, in my eyes. One step away from Macklemore.
    2. Disclosure - Hate that GV will do the same artist three times in four years. Did it with Alesso recently too. Very overkill. Not even like Caracal was any good. And the Disclosure crowd in 2014 was unbearable.
    3. Zedd - Just because we've come to expect these additions doesn't mean they aren't still dumb.
    4. Halsey - Dumb placement. Above Grimes, Barnett, RTJ and Vince Staples? C'monnnnnn.
    5. Calvin Harris - *HEAVY SIGH*

MISSING:
    1. Kendrick Lamar - Obvious choice for a better headliner.
    2. Chance the Rapper/Donnie Trumpet - Absent from weekend 2 in 2014, and with new music, I thought he was a strong possibility for this year.
    3. Daughter - New album, and tons of conflicts when they played in 2014.
    4. Jeremih - Crushing it right now, and there's no one really like him on the lineup.
    5. City and Colour - New album, and last played in 2014 like a lot of other artists on this lineup.

Remember Adds?
    "Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk." Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRav View Post
    SMART:
    DUMB:

2. Disclosure - Hate that GV will do the same artist three times in four years. Did it with Alesso recently too. Very overkill. Not even like Caracal was any good. And the Disclosure crowd in 2014 was unbearable.
    God, it was SO fucking packed, even all the way back by those food stands by the Outdoor. Horrendous
    9/25 James Blake ~ 9/26 Lissie ~ 9/28 Band of Skulls ~ 10/1 ACL W1 ~ 10/1 M83 ~ 10/7 ACL W2 ~ 10/11 Failure ~ 10/18 Hiss Golden Messenger ~ 10/27 El Ten Eleven/Still Corners ~ 10/29 & 10/30 Stevie Nicks/Pretenders ~ 11/2 Black Rebel Motorcycle Club/DFA 1979/Deap Vally ~ 11/4 Adele ~ 11/5 Sound on Sound ~ 11/6 Sia/Miguel/Alunageorge ~ 11/8 Bonnie Raitt ~ 11/11 Wet ~ 11/17 Warpaint ~ 11/27 Lauryn Hill ~ 12/1 Skinny Lister ~ 12/17 Day for Night ~ 4/13 Sigur Rs ~ 4/14 Coachella W1

I see Halsey on some of the "dumb" lists. Now I don't know if that's because others think her music is not good, so am I the only one who thinks she's pretty terrible? That song taking the melody from "Juicy" is cringeworthy.
    Last edited by captain 66; 01-05-2016 at 07:39 PM.

I Appreciate That
    1. Underworld
    2. LCD Soundsystem
    3. Rancid
    4. Lush
    5. Courtney Barnett

I (Don't) Appreciate That
    1. Zedd
    2. Zedd
    3. Zedd
    4. Zedd
    5. Zedd

(If you don't know, I really fucking hate Zedd)

6. The 1975
    7. G-Eazy
    8. Calvin Harris (as a headliner)
    9. Halsey (also how the dick is she billed that high)

They don't want you to play (MAJOR KEYS, GV!!!)
    1. Kendrick Lamar
    2. D'Angelo
    3. Sleater-Kinney
    4. Aphex Twin
    5. Missy Elliot

5 missed:

1. Sketch Slide
    2. Germanthony w/ Oboe
    3. Jelly Nuggz
    4. Sciatica
    5. Topher Finnegan & Moosher

Smart
    1. Underworld
    2. LCD Soundsystem
    3. Lush
    4. 2manydjs
    5. the Kills

Dumb
    1. Disclosure (even as a fan)
    2. the 1975
    3. Ellie Goulding
    4. Halsey (I have no idea who this is)
    5. The guaranteed Friday conflicts

Missed
    1. The Prodigy
    2. Missy Elliott
    3. Basement Jaxx
    4. The Presets
    5. Django Django

I'm also particularly bummed there's no Chance/Donnie Trumpet. Granted, GV got him right around the time of Acid Rap and I remember going over to his set specifically to make fun of him and Justin Bieber (thanks, Eddy Sato). But now he would get SUCH a fantastic reception. From me. And probably a lot of other people.

Smart:
    1. LCD Soundsystem
    2. Underworld
    3. Guns N' Roses
    4. Lush
    5. Sufjan Stevens

Dumb:
    1. Calvin Harris
    2. Jack U
    3. Halsey
    4. Ellie Goulding
    5. The 1975

Missing:
    1. Sigur Ros
    2. AFX
    3. Tortoise
    4. Radiohead
    5. Animal Collective
    Last edited by AllAlright; 01-05-2016 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post
    Nah... there have been so many times I expected him to come out during Terrace Martin's shows and he doesn't. With that being said, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Terrace himself came out. That would be awesome. And Kamasi's dad of course.
    Haha. Same here. When Terrence came out at the club Nokia show, I thought for sure Kendrick would come out and do the For Free? interlude when they went in to it. haha. Also, Ricky Washington is a fucking beast.

Smart:
    LCD Soundsystem (+ Despacio)
    Grimes (though if they hadn't gotten her I'd be like WHAT ARE YOU EVEN DOING)
    Last Shadow Puppets
    Savages
    Miami Horror (finally!!! though given their lowww billing they will probably play at like noon.. boo.)

Dumb:
    Calvin Harris (for reasons stated above but especially that he just played the main stage in 2014)
    Disclosure (I enjoyed in 2014, but 3 times in 4 years... booo)
    Run the Jewels (again, TOO SOON. They are great, but variety is also great!)
    the 1975... ugh...
    Halsey (especially being billed so high. also the new americana song is SO SO SO SO BAD OMFG I HATE IT)

Missed:
    Neon Indian!!
    Carly Rae Jepsen
    Tears for Fears or New Order
    Empress Of
    Chairlift
    Kendrick or Missy as the 3rd headliner
    Quote Originally Posted by svatomictwist View Post
    I spin in both directions, and I also dance in FRACTIONS.
    2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011!!!, 2012 (w1), 2013 (w2), 2014! (w2), 2015!! (w2), 2016 (w2)...