Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coachella 1999, did anyone here go?

Default Re: Coachella 1999, did anyone here go?

If i was even alive back then i would of gone. Sadly I was born in 2003 so I've been going since 2006. I went for Depeche Mode who I now don't like as much.

Would kill for pictures/video of '99
    My 4th Annual Coachelectro (Coachella 2015) Mix
    Featuring 80 Acts Playing The Fest This Year In Just An Hour + Free Download

https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...hella-2015-mix

Kill who?

It was really cool. Very open, crowd was small compared to these days... I met µ-ziq after his set....he was super cool..and humble. I'll never forget it.

Coachella 99' 01',02',03',04',05',06',07',08',09',10',11',12',13 ' and counting

Ski Punx
    "We ride skis."

www.skipunx.com
    www.facebook.com/SPX.clothing

i did! this will be 16 for me.
    [B]Darthlaker

Quote Originally Posted by Oakland View Post
    If i was even alive back then i would of gone. Sadly I was born in 2003 so I've been going since 2006. I went for Depeche Mode who I now don't like as much.
    Aren't you supposed to be at least 13 to be able to internet?

My first Coachella was in 2002 and I haven't stopped going since. A lot has changed. My friend who first introduced me to the festival went in 99 and I'll always regret not going to the first two. He was a huge Pavement fan and still talks about that night. I was more into raves then. Coachella 02 opened me up to the post punk/indie rock scene. An interesting piece of information is that in the year 2000 when Coachella took a break the polo fields and Insomniac hosted a Nocturnal Wonderland there in September. So that was actually my first time attending a large scale event there. 2 years before my first Coachella. It was such a fun crazy night... Some say a disaster which is why raves were banned there after that night and a curfew was implemented for events that followed (I think some kids died or something).
    Coachella 2002-2019

^I would have loved to have gone to Nocturnal at the Polo Fields!

Woa, Cool vid!
    Coachella 2002-2019

What a scam, I went for Bad Company, hot on the heels of their triumphant reunion tour only to find out it was some rapper. I was pissed!

Everyone kept asking about pictures and other stories from 1999, so here are some shitty articles and photos from Rolling Stone at the time:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pi...tival-19991028

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...gover-19991011

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...esert-19991011
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceArthur32 View Post
    what happens if someone makes a masturbation while i dancing so fast?
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Ohh are you laughing Lithium??! You are soooo cool. You know so much more than everyone else don't you? Nerd.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbellingham View Post
    Thanks for your comment, Major Asshole (Lithium )
    Quote Originally Posted by mb1234 View Post
    Why is this Lithium guy so pissy about everything

Quote Originally Posted by mlant View Post
    Just wanted to give a big shout of thanks to all you 99ers out there! Thanks to you the festival gained traction which made it possible for all of us to get out to the desert as well.
    I've been going ever year since 2002, except 2004 when I was out of the country. This will be my 9th Coachella and the friends I've made and the music I've seen have made me who I am. I owe you all a debt of gratitude, as well as Goldenvoice of course.
    Keep posting your stories please, I'm loving living vicariously.

CHEERS!

And if anyone has crowd pics of any of the early years I'm sure we'd all love to see how things have changed.

i was there (and every year since; 2018 will be my 19th)...

here's the whole story... my friends and i were coming home from a show and heard a commercial over the radio. we all stopped and yelled, "RAGE AAAAAND TOOL?!?!?!" we knew we were going, whatever it was. the day tickets went on sale, we were lined up at the ticketmaster outlet by the pantages theather bc they had no service charges - tix were $50/day. i had a job at a pizza shop (19 at the time) and spent my whole paycheck and bought 3 sunday only tickets: my sister, my best friend, and myself.

that saturday night was tough to sleep. we headed out there at 6am and parked at 8:30am super close to the entrance. they finally let us in at noon and handed us free water bottles as we walked in. the entrance was far south of the current festival grounds, where the rose garden is, right by the sahara tent.

we had nothing to do four about 2 hours, so we skipped from tent to tent finding shade. caught cibo matto at the main stage, fun set. the first set i was excited about was pavement since i was loving their "terror twilight" album. sadly, stephen malkmus's voice was gone. still, i enjoyed hearing their set; especially the instrumental they did of "the hexx." walked around and caught some of ben harper and the innocent criminals, eh. i don't remember much between then and when i caught a good spot for RAGE. yeah, zach's voice was shot, but they still killed it. such a treat to have MJK on "know your enemy." by the way, the main stage the year was sorta by the current entrance (basically, where the BESAME MUCHO sign was that year. our backs were to where the main stage is now).

i remember walking past the sahara being sad that i wouldn't catch GusGus bc they were on at the same time at TOOL. also walked past the out door theater watching moby stand on his keyboards from a distance. but nothing was going to keep me from securing my spot for TOOL. being 5'5", i'm a disadvantage. nevertheless, my main reason for being there did not disappoint. i won't write a review of that set, but you're welcomed to read it here: http://toolshed.down.net/tour/99/991010.html (i'm carlos aguas jr., 1/4 down the page with the setlist as part of my review).

the day changed my life. haven't missed a year since 1999. i've sneaked in (sorry, goldenvoice), i've been taken away from the grounds on an ambulance only to return same night and be given a comp ticket to get back in (thanks person at the box office!!!!), i've spent the night at the parking too tired to drive, i've married and divorced, but i am still going and hope to continue until life changes (no kids, so once i'm a parent, who knows...)

i've seen my favorite band at coachella play 4 times (café tacvba) and met them two of those times!!! (first time, 2005, they were in line at the food court like everyone else and i ran up to them, they were super cool about it. 2nd time, 2013, they were right in front of me watching tame impala, but i waited until the set was over and asked for pics. again, they were super cool).

i love coachella virgins and always strike up conversations with those around me waiting for sets. the look on their faces when i tell them i've been every year is awesome, but i could care less, "we're both here together now." it's not a show, or simply a weekend, it is an experience. granted, not for everyone, but an experience nonetheless.

#grateful
    missy elliot ● oingo boingo ● talking heads ● george clinton
    sweat.x ● jamiroquai ● space ● hooverphonic ● fiona apple

It was so uncomplicated and genuine. I will always look forward to "next" year, but that first year was amazing.

And to be honest, it wasn't '99 that made the festival. We owe it's legacy to '01. That was the year it became "Coachella." I will also add that Perry Farrell is owed our love.

I went in 1999, not in 2001, so I take offense to that, gunz.
    I miss talking to TomAz.

We all do. I live in the same city as him (unless he relocated) and rumor has it that at 3:15am if you listen closely and its really really quiet you can hear him telling you to go fuck yourself.

I wasn't there but reading through these comments, it sounds awesome...

Quote Originally Posted by cuauhtemoc723 View Post
    i was there (and every year since; 2018 will be my 19th)...

here's the whole story... my friends and i were coming home from a show and heard a commercial over the radio. we all stopped and yelled, "RAGE AAAAAND TOOL?!?!?!" we knew we were going, whatever it was. the day tickets went on sale, we were lined up at the ticketmaster outlet by the pantages theather bc they had no service charges - tix were $50/day. i had a job at a pizza shop (19 at the time) and spent my whole paycheck and bought 3 sunday only tickets: my sister, my best friend, and myself.

that saturday night was tough to sleep. we headed out there at 6am and parked at 8:30am super close to the entrance. they finally let us in at noon and handed us free water bottles as we walked in. the entrance was far south of the current festival grounds, where the rose garden is, right by the sahara tent.

we had nothing to do four about 2 hours, so we skipped from tent to tent finding shade. caught cibo matto at the main stage, fun set. the first set i was excited about was pavement since i was loving their "terror twilight" album. sadly, stephen malkmus's voice was gone. still, i enjoyed hearing their set; especially the instrumental they did of "the hexx." walked around and caught some of ben harper and the innocent criminals, eh. i don't remember much between then and when i caught a good spot for RAGE. yeah, zach's voice was shot, but they still killed it. such a treat to have MJK on "know your enemy." by the way, the main stage the year was sorta by the current entrance (basically, where the BESAME MUCHO sign was that year. our backs were to where the main stage is now).

i remember walking past the sahara being sad that i wouldn't catch GusGus bc they were on at the same time at TOOL. also walked past the out door theater watching moby stand on his keyboards from a distance. but nothing was going to keep me from securing my spot for TOOL. being 5'5", i'm a disadvantage. nevertheless, my main reason for being there did not disappoint. i won't write a review of that set, but you're welcomed to read it here: http://toolshed.down.net/tour/99/991010.html (i'm carlos aguas jr., 1/4 down the page with the setlist as part of my review).

the day changed my life. haven't missed a year since 1999. i've sneaked in (sorry, goldenvoice), i've been taken away from the grounds on an ambulance only to return same night and be given a comp ticket to get back in (thanks person at the box office!!!!), i've spent the night at the parking too tired to drive, i've married and divorced, but i am still going and hope to continue until life changes (no kids, so once i'm a parent, who knows...)

i've seen my favorite band at coachella play 4 times (café tacvba) and met them two of those times!!! (first time, 2005, they were in line at the food court like everyone else and i ran up to them, they were super cool about it. 2nd time, 2013, they were right in front of me watching tame impala, but i waited until the set was over and asked for pics. again, they were super cool).

i love coachella virgins and always strike up conversations with those around me waiting for sets. the look on their faces when i tell them i've been every year is awesome, but i could care less, "we're both here together now." it's not a show, or simply a weekend, it is an experience. granted, not for everyone, but an experience nonetheless.

#grateful
    Man, thank you for this wonderful post of yours. Big up.

I was there in 1999 and it was the polo grounds and i fell in love with and have been back ever since this will be year 19 for me "fuck im getting old"

I was there! Burning towers and water bottles flying everywhere. Tool had the two bald naked man and women climbing ropes! It was awesome