Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: everyone should just go alone

Default everyone should just go alone

many festivals, first year at coachella.

hanging with friends is cool,obviously. But when they are sitting around not knowing what to do & see is utterly fucking annoying. its even worse when "its too hot to go in, lets wait till 3pm". Fuck that. Took the pinball route on Sunday and covered 12 sets. Sitting on the grass by yourself is also a magnet for chicks/people that want to sell & offer you drugs/photo ops with people and even "Happy coachella" kisses.

awesome.

Lurker

Default Re: everyone should just go alone

church

Your experience and others will be totally different. Some people don't want to go alone, so leave them be
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Shut it down.

I never go with anyone. I live 2 miles from the event, so people always want to come stay at my house, I say that's fine but lets be clear... I leave at 10:30 or so and I don't wanna hang out while we are there. If you wanna hang out, stay a few extra days

I go with my friends but they always want to go in after 3pm. I don't get that. Why come all this way and spend all that money to sit in a hotel room/condo?
    Since the advent of the shuttles, problem solved. I take the early shuttle and spend the first couple hours alone wandering around and doing whatever I feel like, then I meet up with my friends around 4. It's the best of both worlds.

My friends and I always get there early, and leave at the end each night. Sure, it can be tough on the body spending about 14-15 hours each day walking from stage to stage, but it's only once a year. We are definitely there to see the bands (particularly the new ones), not party. I don't understand those that show up after 3 pm each day, but hey, to each his own. More room for me!
    I arrived in America's airport with clothings, US dollars, and a jar of gypsy tears to protect me from AIDS.

i think im buying one ticket this year instead of two, my girl isnt super into it and i spent way too much time worrying about if other people were having a good time this year.

Three of us went this year and we'd sometimes hang out, or go our separate ways meeting up later. It's the best way to go. Being leashed to other people is potential for a bad time. We met a group and by Sunday two of the people were all bent out of shape because there was this idea that the group had to stay together. I told them they were grown adults and should be able to do what they want. The response: "I just don't want to upset them if I leave." Whatever.

GO WITH YOUR FRIENDS.
    DONT BE ATTACHED AT THE HIP.

DO YOUR OWN THING.

As a seasoned festival goer, I have a policy that "going together doesn't mean we stayin together unless you want to do everything I'm doing."

If I miraculously have a hole in my crazy, type A, planned down the fucking MINUTE overlapped as fuck itinerary, I will then ask you for your opinion on what you'd like to see. Otherwise, shut the fuck up when the music is on, hold your gawddamned bladder until we get a spare moment, no we ain't going to the front, and we ain't leaving the festival til it's muthfukkin OVER. I have this shit down to a science and I don't have the time or desire to wait for you to pussy foot around until you to come to the same conclusion I already TOLD you about on the way in. :-/

Otherwise, I'm a GREAT festival buddy!

I definitely see and hear about a lot of missed opportunities because people are so afraid to go off on their own. YES there will be certain sets you wanna see with your friends. But don't let that stop you from seeing the handful of acts you all differ on just to "stay together". Unless they paid for you and you staying attached to them is a contingency, fuck that noise!
    9/22 Garbage
    9/23-25 Life is Beautiful
    9/29 Phantogram
    10/5 Grouplove
    10/8 Cyndi Lauper
    10/15-16 Treasure Island Music Fest
    10/21 Pet Shop Boys
    10/22-23 Beach Goth
    10/25 She Wants Revenge w/ Joy Formidable
    10/28-20 VooDoo Fest

I've gone alone 5 times and its great.
    Coachella 02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,12,12,13,14,15,16,17 !
    Nocturnal Wonderland 2000
    Alive 2007
    Tomorrowland 2016

The one year I went by myself, 2013, I caught 39 sets. I could barely move Monday morning; my left hip socket was so inflamed. Had to go to the doctor on Tuesday. Now if you see a big, old guy holding onto the rail in the guest area in front of the stage, stretching before a set, that'd be me. I'm stretching constantly.
    Even though I look like one, I'm not a cop.

Coachella 10, 12.1, 13.1, 14.2, 15.1, 16.2
    SXSW 14
    Lalapalooza 94

rule #1 of any festival is do what you must to have fun. if that means leaving your group behind then do it. if that means leaving a set you were looking forward to because you arent feeling it then fine. if that means taking something random that was given to you then so be it.
    '07, '10, '11, '12 Wk1, '13 Wk1, '13 Wk2, '14 Wk1, '14 Wk2, '15 Wk1, '15 Wk2, '16 Wk1, '16 Wk2

i have found my people...solo going on 8 years now with no ra-grets

Doing it this year for the first time and looking forward to it. I usually do solo missions at the fest but this time I'll be solo the whole weekend I'm pretty sure.

cool, you'll meet lots of people that way. enjoy it

I always end up straying from my group over the weekend, lately at least once a day. Always a favorite time of the fest for me. You meet the people around you, and it's just a different feeling overall, you're doing exactly what you want when you want to do it. Makes for more fun stories when you reconvene too
    Coachillin 10, 11, 12.1, 13.1, 14.1, 15.2, 16.2

Quote Originally Posted by timothyhockley View Post
    does goldenvoice read these posts to decide who to book?

Since I started attending the festival I always had a solid group and setup for Car Camping; this year's a different story. Long story short: my yearly group can't make it out this year, throwing a curveball into my plans for camping. It was practically ensured I wouldn't have shitty frat house neighbors right next to me, and frankly I'd like to keep it that way. I've always cruised around the festival solo, which is always a major plus, with the occasional Beer Garden meet up in between sets. Overall I think it's best when you can catch the sets you want or roam freely checking out art, etc.

Some of my best Coachella moments have been enjoying a set solo... especially at Sunset - I feel like that's when things really start to conflict if you have a group.
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up View Post
    a cunt punt is always the best solution to cure someone of their bitchassness
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    You can't go in until late on the first day because you can't hang?
    You giant pussy.

I go with my wife. We see the shows we want to see together and see the shows we don't want to see together, alone. Sometimes we'll see the same show from different locations in the crowd. It's not a big deal.

Don't make friends with boring, dependent, assholes.

I usually go with a group of 12 or so that always end up breaking up into mini groups (sometimes into solo sojourns if I have to see something no one else wants), and it's great to be independent, I've had a great time when I've flown solo and met up with friends I knew were there/made new ones going towards the pockets of people who are dancing (my people).

BUT, I must say, my favorite times at Coachella are almost always reuniting with my friends at the end of the night. It doesn't happen every day, but usually once a weekend we all come together at the end of the night after having our own journeys and it's like seeing a long lost friend; and this year, I'm guessing Friday night meeting up with all my friends at LCD Soundsystem is going to be the best feeling (didn't even intend to make that reference but it's stayin!)

This is a cool thread

On the 1st timers guide I wrote up 'head out on your own...don't be stuck to a group.'

I see people sitting at the lockers and other areas just waiting and waiting ...and you can hear them say, "Where the F is (insert name)! We've been waiting here 30+min."

I'm firmly on the "make your own plan...and run with it" program. I've gone with my brother the last 8 years. 99% of the time he'll roll with me to whatever bands I've chosen (as we have the same taste in music). A few times we've been in the beer garden and I'll say, "I'm jammin in 15 min to (insert band)" and he'll reply, "F that, I'm gonna chill here. Why do you want to see them." I'll tell him again later, "I'm jamming in 5 min." Again the same response....eventually I get up and start going. Earlier years I'd say "come along" or "lets' go"...now I say "Later, I'm going" I don't give a shit if he joins or not...I'm going to go and have fun. He almost always gets up and follows me...then during the show "These guys are awesome!" to which I laugh and want to remind him of his prior complaining....

I've gone to Coachella many years on my own and loved every second of it. In some aspects loved it more because I didn't have to worry or wonder if someone else is/was happy with the schedule I made.

To anyone reading this that goes with a crew....go and have fun, but if you want to do something or see a band play and they don't "F em" take off and do your own program and meet up with them later. You WILL NEVER regret it. I

To those of you going alone and worried about being lonely...you won't. Say "Hi" to anyone and you'll have immediate friends. That's one of the amazing things of Coachella fest. Everyone is cool. It's so easy to meet good people and strike up a good convo.

This year I'm going with my girly and my brother. Looking forward to it...it'll be her first time.
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

And you'll be the cuck

Since 2012, I've been the "x" wheel in a group i.e. the only person not there with their significant other. As a bit of an introvert, I found myself feeling awkward and lonely during those times when I'd break off and see something different, but after a while, I realized the awesomeness of doing your own thing, either without a SO or without focusing on sticking with a group. If I made sure I never ventured from the group, I would have missed so many acts over the past four years: Pulp, Madness, M83, GY!BE, Jello Biafra, Japandroids, Savages, Bonobo, The Replacements, Warpaint, Pixies, Ride, Lykke Li, Bad Religion, Drive Like Jehu, Antemasque, Brand New. While some of my best experiences have always been when I'm with my friends, having some solo time to see what I want is just as important to me to have the best experience.

Quote Originally Posted by John Rabbit View Post
    Don't make friends with boring, dependent, assholes.
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up View Post
    a cunt punt is always the best solution to cure someone of their bitchassness
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    You can't go in until late on the first day because you can't hang?
    You giant pussy.

My wife and I have different tastes, so we found we both had a lot more fun when we'd split up to see different stuff. Don't try to coerce your friends or loved ones into going to see something they're not interested in. They'll be bitter, you'll be bitter about them being bitter. Everyone will be upset. Fuck that.
    Anything is possible...

Quote Originally Posted by Twattycakes View Post
    My wife and I have different tastes, so we found we both had a lot more fun when we'd split up to see different stuff. Don't try to coerce your friends or loved ones into going to see something they're not interested in. They'll be bitter, you'll be bitter about them being bitter. Everyone will be upset. Fuck that.
    I can't agree with you more. I love my girlfriend and we have some similar tastes in music, but when we get on the Polo Fields we do not hesitate to enjoy what we individually WANT to see. First year we tried that "stick together the whole time" thing and it was fucking annoying. You can tell your SO is quietly mad they're missing some artist elsewhere when you're dragging them to see something else...yeah, it's just a recipe for disaster. Coachella is about you. Do what YOU want. Hang out with your friends before, in between or after the good music.
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceArthur32 View Post
    what happens if someone makes a masturbation while i dancing so fast?
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Ohh are you laughing Lithium??! You are soooo cool. You know so much more than everyone else don't you? Nerd.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbellingham View Post
    Thanks for your comment, Major Asshole (Lithium )
    Quote Originally Posted by mb1234 View Post
    Why is this Lithium guy so pissy about everything

I tried that last year with the boyfriend but he followed me anyways. He was adamant about leaving me to go see another band play but when it came down to it, he said he'd rather stick with me.
    That was his 1st time doing 3 days and I told him I'd be willing to seperate but I think he didn't want to go through the hassle of finding me later. His loss I guess but maybe this year might be different.
    Anyways the point is yes, see who ever you want to see regardless of what your group wants otherwise you will regret it.

There's advantages to both. I used to go to SXSW alone and had a great time seeing really intimate shows. I've always gone to Coachella with other people and that's fun too. As always, the bigger the group the more of a clusterfuck it is to try to stay together. My advice is try to stick with, at most, one or two other people. Anything bigger than that it's guaranteed there will be a lot of sitting around trying to decide with to do (the worst).

Had some friends cancel at the last minute and my other friends aren't able to get tickets, which means I will be going solo and it's my first time. What time is the earliest I can drive down to get a car camp spot? Also, any suggestions on the best way to find my spot after I've been walking around all day? I hear people have a lot of trouble finding their cars at night. ahaha Debating if I should head out there from the Bay Area Thursday night or early Friday. If anyone is looking to meet up and maybe combine car camp spots, DM me on IG @ayitsjess

Thanks,
    Jess