Macho City, Secret Mixes / Fixes | Detroit

SUNDAY, MAY 25TH, 2014
    NO WAY BACK mind control music
    1515 Broadway
    Full Audiophile Soundsystem
    $20 all night
    11PM-9AM
    18+

No Way Back is not a festival, it is not an event - it is a party. What began in an abandoned Detroit building with a leaky roof (it rained on the dance floor!) and an audiophile sound system has now moved to the entirely legal and historic 1515 Broadway, home to the original Music Institute where Derrick May solidified his international reputation as artists like Depeche Mode and New Order would make their way there to hear the musical revolution of groundbreaking DJs like D Wynn and Chez Damier.

If you don't understand the touchstones of this party, it might be impossible to explain. It is a comment on a continuum. For many of us it began the 90s, searching through fliers at Record Time, calling info lines and buying your ticket at Zoot's only to get lost trying to find that elusive warehouse. What was inside? Something amazing... This is our generation returning to the source, feeling a freedom and a heat within the music that resulted in speaker fucking.

Every generation experiences this without the aid of a night club time machine, whether it was at The Loft, Better Days, The Paradise Garage, The Warehouse, The Shrine, Cosmic, Luomos, The Muzic Box, The Hacienda, Medusa's, The Music Institute, or Berghain. You might not even know that you have soul until you experience being totally lost in the mind control music and realizing there is no way back.

Every DJ chosen to play at No Way Back is a master of their medium, so deep in it that they all serve as constant inspirations. This is a celebration of the lost art of the late night Midwestern DJ. This is what makes the collaboration between Interdimensional Transmissions and The Bunker so effortless, as they both are champions of this, with Bunker residents like Mike Servito and Bryan Kasenic being long time IT collaborators.

Carlos Souffront is a music gourmet. His taste is rich and vast and he has the unique ability to create deeply rhythmic narratives that offer unexpected spices. He mastered his deep mixing skills with a cassette deck and a belt drive turntable in his father's den in Troy, home of contemporaries such as Mike Servito and Tadd Mullinex. Equally entrenched in indie rock, post punk, experimental music, ambient, rock, house, and techno, Carlos was always a man of many worlds - with an ability to traverse though them with an unique imagination. There is a mood to his search within sound, something that is heavy, deep yet gritty. Like many Caribbean transplants that end up in northern colder climates, he wonders where our rhythmic complexity is. For him it is effortless, while being endlessly surprising to the listener.

Carlos is an important component of the Interdimensional Transmissions parties, bringing a loose yet tight moody deepness and an ever unexpected edge. At the original No Way Back party, he demanded truth in advertising, pushing us to and then past the 12 hour mark. He has participated in the studio with Ectomorph, and performed alongside some of their live shows. It is speculated that he has one of the most insane acid record collections in the world.

It is all too rare to find someone within the electronic music spectrum that can be called an original, that you can only really explain to someone who experienced them on the dance floor, usually just by saying "that's so" and saying their name. Carlos is one of those rarities.

Brendan M Gillen founded Interdimensional Transmissions in late 1994 when he heard far too many ancient voices in his head. Positive that dimensions were colliding and that he could literally feel the deepest will of some mystic past, he decided not to ignore these voices but to contemplate their input, and thus Interdimensional Transmissions came to fruition and the idea based project Ectomorph found a true home. Since then the vision has continually grown organically and mutated into something that is hard to describe yet easy to feel. His sets effortlessly combine a multitude of seemingly disparate genres into a sound system sensation - pure transcendent psychedelic wizardry. A polymath or sonic alchemist or something. He has recently produced a record with Derek Plaslaiko "The True Story of a Detroit Groove", as well as a new EP from Erika.

Mike Servito is from a very special yet temporary and partially lost fertile crescent of techno / house / party DJing. It was a time when raves were still a fresh idea, almost felt like a revolution, and DJs like Claude Young, D Wynn, Derrick Carter and Mike Huckaby were informing an upcoming generation. If you look directly to that inspired generation you will find the lost threads of Detroit Techno, House and beyond, you will find a group of DJs with insanely deep mixing skills, the ability to rock almost any kind of party with an improvisational approach that is so skilled it makes everything seem so well thought out, but even they don't know everywhere their set will go. But it will take you there... In the future, this special generation of deep midwest mixers will be remembered and revered as the wizards they are, long after the trendy players have lost their luster.

Detroit never forgot about Mike Servito, his upfront dirty deep and bitchy taste has had an impact on Detroit nightlife for over a decade. From debuting in 1995 at Dat's Poorboy parties, to being a resident at blackbx and Ghostly's Untitled (along with Derek Plaslaiko, Tadd Mullinix and Matt Dear), co-founding the bizarrely popular, wild and free Dorkwave, and progressing that concept into Sass (the hippest queer party in Detroit at the time) with Nathan Rapport, to blowing minds at Interdimensional Transmissions' No Way Back parties, Servito has made his impression. Moving to Brooklyn, Detroit's loss has been their gain, as he has found a proper home with a residency at The Bunker.

Orphx are Christina Sealey and Richard Oddie, Canadian electronic music duo now residing in Ontario. Since the mid-1990s, Oddie and Sealey have been creating unique fusion of techno, industrial, and electro-acoustic music. Orphx has gained an international following as one of the pioneering acts within the European “rhythmic noise” scene. They have performed in numerous countries around the world, appearing alongside artists such as Alva Noto, Laurie Anderson, Monolake, Pan Sonic and many others. Orphx has released nine full length albums and numerous singles (CD, vinyl and cassette) on such labels as Hands Productions, Sonic Groove, Hymen and others. Their most recent work further develops a dark hybrid of techno, dub and industrial that has garnered critical acclaim from many leading DJs of techno. Their remix of Erika's "North Hex" is immense, and we look forward to their live show, which includes Christina on a full modular.

Patrick Russell is a true veteran of the underground, perhaps one of the last unsung heroes of a now lost era in the Midwest. He magically transforms the diaspora of pure jack energy into a fluent sonic dialog that never fails to devastate the dance floor.

A Detroit-bred DJ, artist and producer since the early 90's, Patrick has now made Brooklyn his home. His resume highlights include everything from an exclusive opening for Jeff Mills in Detroit in 2007, performing at the 2001& 2008 DEMF/Movement festivals, to decorating and performing at the inaugural and now legendary leaky warehouse No Way Back.

His consummate taste and ecstatic yet disciplined execution have created a respect that cannot be purchased. Patrick is not just one to watch, he is one to be experienced.

Erika dreams on the cellular level, or perhaps of transdimensional intelligences moving through strange patterns on celestial objects, working towards a mysterious goal. Her connection to the dreamworld becomes concrete in approach to music, simultaneously so solid and yet so ethereal. Erika still finds time to accomplish many things in her waking hours, such as being a member of Ectomorph, co-conspirator of Detroit's Interdimensional Transmissions record label, DJing with vinyl, making music with her pet machines, and running erika.net - a freeform streaming radio station. Erika.net celebrates it's 15th year this year, being one of the very first radio stations to be an iTunes preset. From 1993 through 1999, Erika was very involved in WCBN in Ann Arbor, as a freeform and jazz DJ, and Program Director.

The daughter of a famed scientist and already running a well known BBS from her bedroom by the time she was 13, Erika is no stranger to expressing her ideas through technology. In 1997 she was handed a TR-606 and asked to join Ectomorph, and has since become an electronic musician of the highest order. Erika will playing vinyl to set the mood in an abstract way like only she can. It's just how she thinks.

Scott Zacharias is musically ambidextrous, the co-founder of both Detroit's Macho City and Disco/Secret with Mike Trombley, and the original resident of Oslo. He started in thrash bands as a teenager then moved on to space rock project Monaural before his interests in Jazz ultimately led him to the traditions of Detroit's deep house DJs, and then beyond into a truly expansive almost psychedelic take on Disco and all its weird friends. He has blossomed into Detroit's best kept secret, a true student of freeform dance music. For this year's No Way Back At All at 7:30AM Scott will perform a Sleaze set, a special kind of lowtempo disco championed in leather bars in the late 70s, usually played in a euphoric post coitus way, deeply lost in the groove.

5/4 ZZZ's @ Silent Barn
    5/6 Acid Mothers Temple @ KF
    5/7 T. Williams @ Output
    5/8 Muse @ Webster Hall
    5/8 Daniel Avery @ Output
    5/9 Sven Všth @ Space

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Default Re: DEMF 2013

That party happens every year. And I never seem to make it. Will this be the year?
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Probably not. Are you going to Droid that night? I sincerely hope I don't end up cowering in the hotel room most of one night like I've managed to do the last few years :/

Well, I assume certain lifestyle choices might help with that. Obviously I'm going to the closing party on Monday. Friday, I have to see some DJ Harvey, but I want to try to fit in Floating Points and Lucy in there somehow too. It's going to be a really rough year. I'm going to wait for more stuff to get announced before I make any decisions for Saturday or Sunday nights.

By the way, anyone have a spare space in their room, or are looking for a room. Someone on our FB has a room at the Westin, $250/person if there's 4 people. So I need to either find 3 people or find a room that needs one person.

All I know is that there better be a soul food breakfast party again.

Soul Skate is happening this year too. Fuck.

With the after parties starting to pop up now, what parties do you recommend trying to score early bird tickets for? Which and what parties will it be worth just grabbing tickets whether you go or not?

Friday is stacked. DJ Harvey is a must. The one with Lucy and DVS1 looks great, as does the Smartbar bbq with Dan Bell and Floating Points. Soul Skate is happening on Saturday night and No Way Back is on Sunday night, both are supposedly legendary local parties that a lot of us seem to miss every year. The closing party at the Works on Monday is partially put together by former board members and has an amazing lineup, so that's mandatory. I'm still waiting to see what pops up for Saturday and Sunday nights.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Friday is stacked. DJ Harvey is a must. The one with Lucy and DVS1 looks great, as does the Smartbar bbq with Dan Bell and Floating Points. Soul Skate is happening on Saturday night and No Way Back is on Sunday night, both are supposedly legendary local parties that a lot of us seem to miss every year. The closing party at the Works on Monday is partially put together by former board members and has an amazing lineup, so that's mandatory. I'm still waiting to see what pops up for Saturday and Sunday nights.
    flying circus is up. I wasn't able to grab early birds. I was on my computer all yesterday and the bastards randomly dropped during the early morning is my guess. Not sure if I should grab the 20$ ones.

Says the lineup is going to be "the usual suspects," which doesn't thrill me. If nothing enticingly rare pops up, I'd rather just check out some locals.

Mano Le Tough

If the line-up is similar to 2011, I'll be at the boat party although the sound might be an issue...

(3rd floor)
    Derrick Carter
    DJ Sneak

(2nd floor)
    Ricardo Villalobos
    Cassy

(1st floor)
    Carl Craig
    Stacey Pullen
    Mirko Loko
    Agoria

More afterparties
    1) May 25 Ghostly:15 Detroit at St. Andrews Hall
    Adult.
    Matthew Dear
    Shigeto
    Osborne (live) Debut
    JTC
    Heathered Pearls
    Mike Servito

Ghostly International celebrates it's 15th Anniversary with the official opening party of Movement 2014.

2) MAY 26 KMS Records "ELEVATE YOUR MIND" Movement AfterParty
    Come celebrate KMS Style following the closing night of Movement Festival in Detroit 2014.

There is a limited capacity, First Come, First IN. So get there early!!!

Set times are as follows:

11:00pm - 11:45pm Exhale
    11:45pm - 12:30am DaMarii Saunderson
    12:30am - 1:30am Greg Gow
    1:30am - 3:00am Kevin Saunderson B2B
    with Dantiez Saunderson
    3:00am- 4:00am John Norman

Located at the old Oslo, now called Whiskey Disco at Woodward Ave & John R.

$15 before 12:30 AM 18+ goes till 4AM.

5/4 ZZZ's @ Silent Barn
    5/7 T. Williams @ Output
    5/8 Muse @ Webster Hall
    5/9 Sven Všth @ Space

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

The boat party lineup was awful last year.

The Ghostly party is a little tempting, but I keep thinking about how unbelievably warm it was in there during the KMS party.

None of those parties look enticing at all, if I were to choose.

I mean, won't there be a HTTYD2 rip out by then? There's your after party.

5/1: Giegling Showcase @ Oakland
    5/2: Sleater-Kinney @ The Masonic
    5/8: Talker, Patricia @ f8
    5/28: Refused, White Lung @ GAMH
    5/29: Spoon @ The Fox Theater, Oakland
    5/29: Max Cooper EMERGENCE @ PW
    5/30: Neutral Milk Hotel @ Pappy & Harriet's
    6/2: Kiasmos ft. Olafur Arnalds, Rival Consoles @ The Independent

Says the lineup is going to be "the usual suspects," which doesn't thrill me. If nothing enticingly rare pops up, I'd rather just check out some locals.
    Flying Circus has Mano Le Tough and Audiofly. Certainly passable.

Interface 47/Scene 22 w/Regis, Oscar Mulero, Cell Injection, Dustin Zahn, Kyle Geiger, Pinion, John Templeton, Jay Zoney & JGarrett, Corbin Davis, Joel Morgan, Centrific, Dean Paul looks good on Sunday night at the works.

too bad As You Like It's party is on Monday and conflicts with Anthology, just because Jason Kendig, Sassmouth, and Moss Moss are all beasts behind the decks. Ugh. I can't believe I'm not going this year.

I feel like this one popped up today...

http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?591409

5/25 Mixmag Official Movement Afterparty with Marco Carola
    http://m.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/SaleE...154&pl=paxahau

5/4 ZZZ's @ Silent Barn
    5/7 T. Williams @ Output
    5/8 Muse @ Webster Hall
    5/9 Sven Všth @ Space

shouldn't there be way more after parties announced? wtf. Will they do circo loco and lfie and death afters this year?

^More parties should be popping in the next two weeks I'm sure I'd like to see Circo loco and Life & Death parties as well!

5/4 ZZZ's @ Silent Barn
    5/7 T. Williams @ Output
    5/8 Muse @ Webster Hall
    5/9 Sven Všth @ Space

For those of you who are going for the first time, the free bang-tech party is worth stopping by on Friday night.
    Last edited by guedita; 04-28-2014 at 09:19 AM.

Friday is way too packed for Bang Tech this year, unless you're stopping at like 3pm.

no life & death party this year...but old miami will be life & death + innervisions....

I might actually stop in at Bang Tech this year, I think it's the first time Friday afternoon won't be insane for me (since I'm getting in a week earlier).

Yea, I'd heard Need I Say More won't be at Old Miami this year.

Quote Originally Posted by nick9999 View Post
    no life & death party this year...but old miami will be life & death + innervisions....
    No life n death, source?

I'm really trying to not go out Friday and save myself for the rest of the weekend. But, Friday has some real good parties.

when will the circo loco party drop. I think it happened last year at this date.

Go crazy on Friday, sleep in a bit on Saturday, stay in on Saturday night and get a good night's rest, stay up all day and night Sunday, take an afternoon power nap on Monday, soldier through the fest and the final after party, die on public transportation on Tuesday. That's my guide to surviving the fest.

That sounds pretty much like how I've done things the last two years. Trying to stay out all night Saturday too led to doom....

Go crazy on Friday, sleep in a bit on Saturday, stay in on Saturday night and get a good night's rest, stay up all day and night Sunday, take an afternoon power nap on Monday, soldier through the fest and the final after party, die on public transportation on Tuesday. That's my guide to surviving the fest.
    heh heh. right on. Yeah, I've got a day party saturday, then off the festival...so I was thinking id just crash at the hotel Friday after driving in since the I'll have a full day Saturday. That free party sounds interesting, maybe go for a couple hours depending on how late we arrive on friday night.

Bang Tech is just fun, it's not worth ruining yourself for the next day if you're already tired.

Eddie C is great.

guedita, where do you get your party info from? Does that party have a ticket link yet?

thanks for sharing.