Page 52 of 60 FirstFirst ... 4748495051525354555657 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 1782

Thread: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

Default Re: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

I endorse Spooks' answers. Replicas is my favorite Numan album.

Default Re: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

I really like what I remember listening to while researching this band and I want to re explore them so....

Faust
    Translation

Titus ANDRONICUS @ the chapel 09/28/15
    my Morning Jacket
    Neil Young or TI
    Deerhunter @ 9:30 Club

Last.fm
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Fuck you.

Faust IV is a good entry point. There's little they've done that isn't fantastic, but that balances experimental and accessible best. So Far would be a good starting point too.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Yup.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I was quite happy with starting with Faust is Last when it came in 2010...it's amazing.

And I want to echo starting with Replicas for Gary Numan - It's an amazing album, and he still plays a lot off of it live too.
    last.fm
    7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy // 8/22/15-8/23/15 - FYF Fest @ Exposition Park // 9/17/15 - Hum w/Mineral @ Regent //9/26/15 - Titus Andronicus @ Roxy
    10/20/15 - Blur @ Hollywood Bowl // 11/12/15 - Desaparacidos @ Teragram Ballroom // 11/21/15 - Blind Guardian @ City National Grove of Anaheim

Electrelane. Their song Enter Laughing just came up on shuffle (Stereolab Radio on last.fm) and I'm in love.
    9/17 - Hum/Mineral - Regent
    9/22 - Laetitia Sadier - Echo
    9/24 - Stars of the Lid - Regent
    9/27 - Grace Jones - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    10/6 - Black Lips/Ariel Pink - Teragram (?)

Quote Originally Posted by LtLoisEinhorn View Post
    Once Morrissey realizes he's on a poster/lineup with an act called 'Horse Meat Disco' he will Cancel.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Electrelane. Their song Enter Laughing just came up on shuffle (Stereolab Radio on last.fm) and I'm in love.
    No Shouts, No Calls. Wow, I completely forgot about that band.

No Shouts, No Calls might be the general entrance point but for Chris working off of "Enter Laughing" I would push the post-rock, mostly instrumental Rock It To The Moon.

Or Axes, which I consider their best; it is their most confident and retains the expansive side.

I went to Tucson to see Electrelane after The Power Out. On this hot, suffocating night Solar Culture had their back door open. Electrelane does their set, covering "I'm On Fire", playing new songs, etc. So during "Long Dark" a train drives by and we can hear it chugging along and blaring its horn. And the crazy thing is, it works. It makes me think, why didn't I ever think to put a train in a song.

Move forward and Axes is released and it has "Gone Darker". Wanna guess how it opens?

So this is immediately my favorite song and I figure they must've thought of it that night. Then there's an issue of Wire with them on the cover and the story is after that show they went out and recorded the trains running on those tracks and wrote those samples into a song.
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    If you can't make the deadline you cant make the deadline. I didn't stop playing pokemon last night for nothing.

Getting back to the French pop discussion from a few days ago, what's a good Edith Piaf compilation? All the ones AllMusic recommends aren't on ?.

Henry Cow rec please? Holy shit.

Once Morrissey realizes he's on a poster/lineup with an act called 'Horse Meat Disco' he will Cancel.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

My favorite album they worked on is In Praise of Learning, but that was a collaboration with Slapp Happy, another experimental band. If you want a Henry Cow-only album, I'd go with Unrest.

Here's an odd request, if anyone's up to it: I'd love a sampler or playlist of the best of pre-2010 Ariel Pink stuff.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Can't offer a playlist (I'm at work and those sites get banned), but here are some tracks I like:

Are You Gonna Look After My Boys?
    Girl In A Tree
    The List (My Favorite Song)
    Beefbud
    Immune to Emotion
    Jules Lost His Jewels
    Credit
    Interesting Results
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

First off thanks bmack for the black flag rec's.

So I love patton and I am a huge tomhawk fan and I like FNM, however I have never listened to Mr. Bungle and am curious where to start and if I is worth it. Ive read its not very accesible but I like weird music and would love some rec's on where to start with them.
    you are soooooooo good lookin

California is definitely the easiest place to start with Bungle. I mean, Disco Volante is a masterpiece of sorts, but that's really diving headfirst into some strange ass shit. California is manic as hell too, but there's some really poppy songs that makes the experience less overwhelming,

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Getting back to the French pop discussion from a few days ago, what's a good Edith Piaf compilation? All the ones AllMusic recommends aren't on ?.
    The one I listened to and enjoyed the most is called the Voice of the Sparrow.

Also, for people interested in French music in general, I cannot recommend Jean Corti - Couka enough. It's a fantastic album by an accordionist who really sets a great mood. It's on Spotify too, so there's no reason not to give it a spin. Check out the track Coudes a Coudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    Also I highly recommend checking out Replicas by Tubeway Army.
    Yeah, this record rules so hard.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Also, for people interested in French music in general, I cannot recommend Jean Corti - Couka enough. It's a fantastic album by an accordionist who really sets a great mood. It's on Spotify too, so there's no reason not to give it a spin. Check out the track Coudes a Coudes.
    Thank you so much for this recommendation. I just finished watching Before Sunset and this is perfect.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I guess now's a good time for Nine Inch Nails. I've never listened to them before beside their hits.

I would recommend Broken or The Downward Spiral.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by FEELS View Post
    I guess now's a good time for Nine Inch Nails. I've never listened to them before beside their hits.
    "And all it could of been"
    Last edited by getbetter; 06-06-2013 at 07:12 AM.
    Translation

Titus ANDRONICUS @ the chapel 09/28/15
    my Morning Jacket
    Neil Young or TI
    Deerhunter @ 9:30 Club

Last.fm
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Fuck you.

I don't think i would recommend a live album, though it is great, as a first listen. And it's called And All That Could Have Been.

Really, go chronologically. Start with Pretty Hate Machine and go from there. Every album is great, and there is a clear progression in the music over time that makes sense.
    last.fm
    7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy // 8/22/15-8/23/15 - FYF Fest @ Exposition Park // 9/17/15 - Hum w/Mineral @ Regent //9/26/15 - Titus Andronicus @ Roxy
    10/20/15 - Blur @ Hollywood Bowl // 11/12/15 - Desaparacidos @ Teragram Ballroom // 11/21/15 - Blind Guardian @ City National Grove of Anaheim

Quote Originally Posted by FEELS View Post
    From their debut to now because they're all spectacular to good

Coil; I downloaded Musick To Play In The Dark from the recent ? staff picks and am loving it.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Their second album Horse Rotorvator is fucking amazing...quite different from Musick as i recall - it's really dark and abrasive, but very, very good.
    last.fm

Thanks for the rec! Is Musick... a bit of an "odd-album-out" in terms of their prevailing sound? They have a really big discography.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

I am actually not that familiar with a lot of their stuff...I have had Horse Rotorvator for many years for some reason and have always liked it, then asked for recommendations for further listening (maybe in this thread) and Patrick suggested Musique to me.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by gillster17 View Post
    First off thanks bmack for the black flag rec's.

So I love patton and I am a huge tomhawk fan and I like FNM, however I have never listened to Mr. Bungle and am curious where to start and if I is worth it. Ive read its not very accesible but I like weird music and would love some rec's on where to start with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    California is definitely the easiest place to start with Bungle. I mean, Disco Volante is a masterpiece of sorts, but that's really diving headfirst into some strange ass shit. California is manic as hell too, but there's some really poppy songs that makes the experience less overwhelming,
    I will agree that California is Mr. Bungles most accessible record, and Disco Violante is an absolute masterpiece, but is undeniably weird as hell and definitely not the best starting point. With that being said, I would start with their self-titled, Mr. Bungle. It gives you the best idea of what the band is all about and gives you a balance between their pop-oriented side and their bizarro-experimental side.

Honestly though, all 3 are great and incredibly unique records and are worth the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.