vodka, right? the other i like a lot is Skyy. as vodka goes, it's all about clean for me. these two employ the very best distilling techniques (to clean out the nasties).
side story....Maurice Kanbar (founder of Skyy) was a donor of mine in a previous life. one day at a party he explained why he invented Skyy (he was already a multi-millionaire by then). Vodka was his favorite spirit, but it made him really sick when he drank it. he figured out that there was a certain congener in nearly all Vodka that was the source of his suffering. he then went about and developed his now famous filtering technique and Skyy was the result. don't be dissuaded by it's low(ish) price. there is some technology underlying that clear liquid.
There are different times for different experiences. If I plan to get royally fucked up, and it's a party-like atmosphere, Four Loko works well. It has nothing to do with my affinity for sipping on fine glasses of liquor on other occasions.
5/22 - The Cure - Hollywood Bowl
5/31 - Brian Jonestown Massacre - Teragram (?)
6/07 - Chelsea Wolfe - Teragram (?)
6/14 - Silver Apples - Troubadour
6/16 - John Carpenter - Orpheum
I'm taking a wee break from drinking at the moment, so reading along rather vicariously. :/
My go-to drink in dives or crowded bars is captain morgan and coke, a double if I doubt the bartender. I tend to go about with a flask of rum.
But otherwise, my preferences are:
- Vodka and diet red bull
- Bloody Mary (I'm really picky though & I think I make GREAT bloody marys)
- Vodka martini very dirty (which I cannot make worth a damn, anyone want to tutor me on this?)
- Citrus vodka with cranberry juice or tonic (usually absolut mandarin)
- Margarita, rocks, made simply with just fresh lime, a dash of simple syrup, a little bit of triple sec and tequila. I'm weird that I'll use not-top-shelf tequila but use Cointreau for the triple sec.
- If I can get a FRESH fruit margarita I will have one any time.
- Due to the negative influence of a certain board member, I have been drinking something referred to as a 'sweet tart', grape vodka and red bull.
- I can be suckered into almost novelty drink.