Thread: (Project Time): Create an American Compilation CD you'd give to a Foreign Person

Default (Project Time): Create an American Compilation CD you'd give to a Foreign Person

inadvertently ordered a mail order bride who is scheduled to arrive by boat and hope she nice at least for a few years.

What would you give a foreigner to excite in national and regional understanding with best in class art? It would be easy to go New York heavy with a bunch of Velvets, but it should really be mixed up a bit and not necessarily a USA "greatest hits"-type list with 'Like a Rolling Stoner' or Elvis or whatever...should have some of your own personality. Here is were I'm at:

Skeets McDonald - Fort Worth Jail https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KMR0R8ZQMo
    Christian Death - Romeo's Distress https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBBs2F7gUz4
    Grandaddy - The Boat is in the Barn
    Big Star - Try Again
    Deerhunter - Agoraphobia
    Gram Parsons - Juanita
    Rufus Wainwright - 14th Street
    Lou Reed - Coney Island Baby
    REM - Man on the Moon
    Mercury Rev - Holes
    NY Dolls - Frankenstein
    The Walker Brother - The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore
    Beach Boys - Dont Cry Put Yer Head on my Shoulder
    Faron Young - Live fast, love hard, die young
    Mazzy Star - Blue Flower
    Youth Lagoon - Attic Doctor
    The Runaways - Waitin for the Night
    Velvets- Black Angel's Death Song

Can't make any apologies for things don't necessarily care for generally in r&b, blues, soul, rockabily, etc. Is what it is. Can't control your taste.

Default Re: (Project Time): Create an American Compilation CD you'd give to a Foreign Person

James Brown
    Screaming Jay Hawkins
    Elvis
    Misfits/Danzig
    Foreigner
    Jesus Lizard
    Nine Inch Nails
    Replacements
    Bob Dylan
    Prince
    Husker Du
    Ice Cube/NWA
    Biggie
    Wu Tang
    Otis Redding

Idk man it’s so impossible to get America in just a few artists

Default Re: (Project Time): Create an American Compilation CD you'd give to a Foreign Person

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Guedita keeps me sane

For an essence of the real America outside of Times Square, Disneyland and even Venice Beach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGCJFkVM35A

excellent work, she will love that.

Going to do a reggae/dub comp next. Unlike some, I don't feel UK artists like Steel Pulse or Aswad should be excluded from someone's potential list over some kind of continental bias. The whole toss off, dismissive wave-of-the-hand "born in the UK" discrimination for discriminatory sake is just silly...especially if you yourself were born in San Diego. There was a wave of UK bred children of Caribbean immigrant decent who made some incredible songs. Even a few '80s caucasians like New Age Steppers 'Guiding Star' not enough to make my list, but pretty strong performances nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by looseccp View Post
    inadvertently ordered a mail order bride who is scheduled to arrive by boat and hope she nice at least for a few years.

What would you give a foreigner to excite in national and regional understanding with best in class art? It would be easy to go New York heavy with a bunch of Velvets, but it should really be mixed up a bit and not necessarily a USA "greatest hits"-type list with 'Like a Rolling Stoner' or Elvis or whatever...should have some of your own personality. Here is were I'm at:

Skeets McDonald - Fort Worth Jail https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KMR0R8ZQMo
    Christian Death - Romeo's Distress https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBBs2F7gUz4
    Grandaddy - The Boat is in the Barn
    Big Star - Try Again
    Deerhunter - Agoraphobia
    Gram Parsons - Juanita
    Rufus Wainwright - 14th Street
    Lou Reed - Coney Island Baby
    REM - Man on the Moon
    Mercury Rev - Holes
    NY Dolls - Frankenstein
    The Walker Brother - The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore
    Beach Boys - Dont Cry Put Yer Head on my Shoulder
    Faron Young - Live fast, love hard, die young
    Mazzy Star - Blue Flower
    Youth Lagoon - Attic Doctor
    The Runaways - Waitin for the Night
    Velvets- Black Angel's Death Song

Can't make any apologies for things don't necessarily care for generally in r&b, blues, soul, rockabily, etc. Is what it is. Can't control your taste.
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorAve View Post
    Careful, while the threats are amusingly clueless, I could probably have this whole board shut down with one phone call.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    2. Migos- The new Beatles.

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

giving up a golden opportunity to share how good or bad your taste in music is or maybe just don't know and that's okay I guess.

"I go to all the concerts to watch and feel alive with people around. Sweaty people. Young people, look at closely though they don't like it".