Thread: It's Raining a Spaceman who was Under Pressure without his China Girl!!!

Default It's Raining a Spaceman who was Under Pressure without his China Girl!!!

RIP Ziggy...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-artist-854364

David Bowie has died after a battle with cancer, his representative confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter.*

"David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18 month battle with cancer. While many of you will share in this loss, we ask that you respect the family’s privacy during their time of grief," read a statement posted on the artist's official social media accounts.*

The influential singer-songwriter and producer, who dabbled in glam rock, art rock, soul, hard rock, dance pop, punk and electronica during his eclectic 40-plus-year career, died after a battle with cancer.*

Bowie’s artistic breakthrough came with 1972’s The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars, an album that fostered the notion of rock star as space alien. Fusing British mod with Japanese kabuki styles and rock with theater, Bowie created the flamboyant, androgynous alter ego Ziggy Stardust.

Three years later, Bowie achieved his first major American crossover success with the No. 1 single “Fame” off the Top 10 album Young Americans, then followed with the 1976 avant-garde art-rock LP Station to Station, which made it to No. 3 on the charts and featured Top 10 hit “Golden Years.”

Other memorable songs included 1983’s “Let’s Dance” — his only other No. 1 U.S. hit — “Space Oddity,” “Heroes,” “Changes,” “Under Pressure,” “China Girl,” “Modern Love,” “Rebel, Rebel,” “All the Young Dudes,” “Panic in Detroit,” “Fashion,” “Life on Mars” “Suffragette City” and a 1977 Christmas medley with Bing Crosby.

With his different-colored eyes (the result of a schoolyard fight) and needlelike frame, Bowie was a natural to segue from music into curious movie roles, and he starred as an alien seeking help for his dying planet in Nicolas Roeg’s surreal The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976). Critics later applauded his three-month Broadway stint as the misshapen lead in 1980’s The Elephant Man.

Bowie also starred in Marlene Dietrich’s last film, Just a Gigolo (1978), portrayed a World War II prisoner of war in Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence (1983), and played Pontius Pilate in Martin Scorsese’s The Last Temptation of Christ (1988). And in another groundbreaking move, Bowie, who always embraced technology, became the first rock star to morph into an Internet Service Provider with the launch in September 1998 of BowieNet.

Born David Jones in London on Jan. 8, 1947, Bowie changed his name in 1966 after The Monkees’ Davy Jones achieved stardom. He played saxophone and started a mime company, and after stints in several bands, he signed with Mercury Records, which in 1969 released his album Man of Words, Man of Music, which featured “Space Oddity,” a poignant song about an astronaut, Major Tom, spiraling out of control.

In an attempt to stir interest in Ziggy Stardust, Bowie revealed in a January 1972 magazine interview that he was gay — though that might have been a publicity stunt — dyed his hair orange and began wearing women’s garb. The album became a sensation.

Wrote rock critic Robert Christgau: “This is audacious stuff right down to the stubborn wispiness of its sound, and Bowie's actorly intonations add humor and shades of meaning to the words, which are often witty and rarely precious, offering an unusually candid and detailed vantage on the rock star’s world.”

Bowie changed gears in 1975. Becoming obsessed with the dance/funk sounds of Philadelphia, his self-proclaimed “plastic soul”-infused Young Americans peaked at No. 9 with the single “Fame,” which he co-wrote with John Lennon and guitarist Carlos Alomar.
    You know, but that's valid because if we are all gonna die anyway shouldn't we be enjoying ourselves now? You know, I'd like to quit thinking of the present, like right now, as some minor insignificant preamble to something else.

---------------------------------------------------
    It's that tad bit of Crazy that keeps me Sane...

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Default Re: It's Raining a Spaceman who was Under Pressure without his China Girl!!!

IT'S RAINING HANDJOBS!

Default Re: It's Raining a Spaceman who was Under Pressure without his China Girl!!!

RIP David cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

crap headline, but love you David.

Five years
    Soul love
    Moonage Daydream
    Lady Stardust
    John Im only dancing
    Aladdin Sane
    Drive in Saturday
    The Prettiest Star
    Lady Grinning Soul
    Sweet THing
    Rebel Rebel
    Rock n Roll with Me
    We are the dead
    Chant of the ever circling skeletal family (anal sex on first date)
    Stay
    Wild is the wind
    Joe the lion
    Heroes
    Sons of the silent age
    Sound and vision
    Be my wife
    A new career in a new town
    Always crashing in the same car
    Warszawa
    I pray, Ole!
    Life on mars
    Quicksand
    Kooks
    The Bewlay Brothers
    Teenage Wildlife
    The london boys
    When I live my dream
    Silly boy blue
    In the heat of the morning
    When I live my dream

David Bowie, RIP 69 yo.

I so much wanted you to headline Coachella.

Fuck Cancer!
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

It was stalking time for the moon boys, the bewlay brothers.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

This was the worst of these threads
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    RIP David cr****
    I wish it was you instead of him.
    Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    Eat a dick on that or did I make too much sense for your mind to take

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

RIP David cr****
    YOU PIECE OF SHIT

Edit: JK HAPPY NEW YEAR RON
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

It's Raining a Spaceman who was Under Pressure without his China Girl while also Being Afraid of Americans and Wishing You Could Swim Like Dolphins Can Swim!!!
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

It's Raining a Starman who feels just Hunky Dory even though he saw Scary Monsters and went on a Fantastic Voyage, Station to Station, to warn Young Americans about the awful poster who needs to apologize for such a disgraceful thread title.

this all sounded rather lovely till you got to the last word. Detroit strikes again. No couth whatsoever.

"The Music Hall in Detroit has commissioned a ballet as part of a tribute to legendary musician David Bowie. The ballet is scheduled to debut June 18. Organizers say Complexions Contemporary Ballet will offer interpretations of the work of Bowie that night as well as the band Metallica."

http://www.pollstar.com/news_article.aspx?ID=824686

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Farnsworth View Post
    I wish it was you instead of him.

Don't know why this thread was bumped, but this seems weird now.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

was looking far and wide, mainly four pages deep on the Music Lounge Chair Dept., for any of the Bowie memorial threads and this was the first one found. That list pretty good.