Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: I Just Don't Get the Hype

Default Re: I Just Don't Get the Hype

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    definitely in the boat that prefers Yellow House. although i'm glad they departed from that sound, it wasn't sustainable.
    Yeah. I guess the best way to put it is that the reason I prefer Veckatimest by a good deal is because there seemed to be more crescendos. More songs that built and built and then exploded (see: "Fine For Now", "I Live With You"). And don't get me wrong, the songs that did that on Yellow House were great but I just feel like the band perfected their sound with Veckatimest.

Yellow House wasn't as captivating of an album, to me.
    5/15 - Muse - Mayan
    5/23 - Ceremony - Echoplex (?)
    5/26 - Refused - Roxy
    5/27 - Neutral Milk Hotel - Warner Grand (?)
    5/30 - Spoon - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by LtLoisEinhorn View Post
    Once Morrissey realizes he's on a poster/lineup with an act called 'Horse Meat Disco' he will Cancel.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Yeah. I guess the best way to put it is that the reason I prefer Veckatimest by a good deal is because there seemed to be more crescendos. More songs that built and built and then exploded (see: "Fine For Now", "I Live With You"). And don't get me wrong, the songs that did that on Yellow House were great but I just feel like the band perfected their sound with Veckatimest.

Yellow House wasn't as captivating of an album, to me.
    Yellow House was amazing, but I prefer Veckatimest in it's entirety more as well. Exactly what Chris said.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    Bieber on an illegal dose of sedatives for 2011.
    "It's only polite for somebody to levantarse BEFORE the manajatwa."
    -GEMMA

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Huh. Classic rock radio is my go-to station now because all the others suck so hard. I think I tried listening to The Hold Steady a couple years back but didn't like them. I could try again.
    their new album seems much more accessible and i have really grown to love it. more of a singing sound coming from Craig, instead of that early poet-speak style. excited to see them down the street from my house in a 250 person venue in august.

right now, my fave is the Friend EP. just because there are 4 songs on there that really stick with me. Veck has grown on me. you guys have been effective on the Grizz. kudos.

we'll see about The xx. it's all about what is next for them, right. the debut is, undoubtedly, something. and in a small venue, they're pretty awesome once, maybe twice....but, it's all about what will come next as it relates to their hype. but, i am a little biased because i was no more than 5' from them the first time i saw them at the Indy. ambiance to the max, yo.

and, fuck all you guys who aren't tweaking out on "Horse Power." that shit is the monster dance track of 2010. fucken a. that is all.
    Last edited by GeezrRckr; 06-20-2010 at 09:41 AM. Reason: drunken mispellings

I love the XX. There is a mixture of sounds with the XX that seems unique and almost obvious. They have these immediately catchy pop songs that are stripped down to the bare essentials, and the male/female singing is lovely. The album put a smile on my face instantly, and the rare style made it infectious. I remember sitting in my car and suddenly laughing at how absurdly minimal and clean the song was I was listening to. They will be one of the many eternal reasons that 2009 was such a fulfilling year for me musically.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkjustice View Post
    this mix is tripping me out
    Audio junky/CD collector
    Coachella 2001/2003

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

You foooolz whut enjoy Neutral Milk Hotel should enjoy this....

"Over the last few months, a YouTube user has been uploading individual tracks from a 1998 Elf Power/Neutral Milk Hotel concert at NYC's Knitting Factory."

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldenpuppy1#g/u

Porcupine Tree

Sure they're talented, but they're really fucking boring
    DREAM BIGGER

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Porcupine Tree

Sure they're talented, but they're really fucking boring
    Is there really a lot of hype surrounding Porcupine Tree beyond the fact that they have fans?
    last.fm
    5/15-17/15 - Psycho CA @ Observatory // 5/22/15 - Laura Jane Grace @ Hollywood Forever Cemetary // 5/27/15 - Neutral Milk Hotel @ Warner Grand Theater
    6/3/15 - Sufjan Stevens @ Dorothy Chandler // 7/15/15 - Shellac @ Regent // 7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

2Pac
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Is there really a lot of hype surrounding Porcupine Tree beyond the fact that they have fans?
    If you have friends who are musicians there is
    DREAM BIGGER

When the fuck are Best Coast and Sleigh Bells going to get swallowed up by this catastrophic buzz that already black holed Yeasayer's new album? I'm looking forward to the day they're not getting shoved down my throat.
    Quote Originally Posted by fancy restaurant View Post
    Although, I did attend more Slipknot concerts than any person ever really should. I remember once I told their lead singer "This is my 12th Slipknot show!" and he was just like, "Dude. Why?"
    Quote Originally Posted by cperkins9027 View Post
    Bring Aoki back next year and let him bring his friends. Open your minds and appreciate what he can do.

I dont get music shoved down my throat ever. Not sure why you guys feel so much hype for anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkjustice View Post
    this mix is tripping me out
    Audio junky/CD collector
    Coachella 2001/2003

Flame away, but:

I Will Dare is such an amazing way to start a record, but upon listening to it front to back for the first time yesterday, at the end it left me feeling a bit flat. What am I missing here?
    5/15 - Muse - Mayan
    5/26 - Refused - Roxy

Once Morrissey realizes he's on a poster/lineup with an act called 'Horse Meat Disco' he will Cancel.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Are you talking about that album or The Replacements in general? I was pretty luke-warm on them until I had "Tim" in my car one semester. After that one really clicked I slowly enjoyed the rest of their discography more and more.

Yeah I feel like the Replacements are definitely growers.

I like this thread a lot.

I want to know if Gribble still dislikes the Xx. Their Coachella set was boring as fuck, but that band needs to be in a small dark venue, not outdoors in the hot sun. That album is by far my favorite of 2009 and transports me right back to freshman year in NYC. Really amazing album, can't wait to hear their sophomore work...I hope it's as good.
    5/9 - Suishou No Fune (水晶の舟) - The Empty Gallery - HK
    6/7 - NHK'Koyxeи / Mark Fell - The Empty Gallery - HK

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Are you talking about that album or The Replacements in general?
    That album.
    5/15 - Muse - Mayan
    5/26 - Refused - Roxy

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

The Weeknd.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    I want to know if Gribble still dislikes the Xx. Their Coachella set was boring as fuck, but that band needs to be in a small dark venue, not outdoors in the hot sun. That album is by far my favorite of 2009 and transports me right back to freshman year in NYC. Really amazing album, can't wait to hear their sophomore work...I hope it's as good.
    I dig the XX. But yeah, their Coachella set was boring. Like, so boring it made me not want to listen to their music for a long while. I skipped them at Sasquatch that year too.

Courtney Barnett - 6/5 - The Mohawk
    The Avett Brothers/Old Crow Medicine Show - 6/27 - Whitewater Amphitheater
    Death Grips - 7/18 - The Mohawk
    Kraftwerk - 9/25 - Bass Concert Hall

I was 3/4 of the way to the fucking Gobi during their set, and it was impossible to get into. I would really love to see them live again though, hopefully they play a Fonda warm-up show right before their new album comes out.
    5/15 - Muse - Mayan
    5/26 - Refused - Roxy

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

They're amazing in a small venue, but that sound does not transmit to sunny Coachella. They are possibly the most dreary live band ever and that's part of their appeal/shtick.

I love that album though. Go back to it all the time. "Fantasy" is seriously the fucking jam, live even more so.

I was 3/4 of the way to the fucking Gobi during their set, and it was impossible to get into. I would really love to see them live again though, hopefully they play a Fonda warm-up show right before their new album comes out.
    Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    They're amazing in a small venue, but that sound does not transmit to sunny Coachella. They are possibly the most dreary live band ever and that's part of their appeal/shtick.
    Yeah, I plan on catching them next time they tour. Definitely should have been at night/in one of the tents. Deerhunter and Owen Pallet should have been in tents too IMO. The Outdoor just sucks for certain acts.

Courtney Barnett - 6/5 - The Mohawk
    The Avett Brothers/Old Crow Medicine Show - 6/27 - Whitewater Amphitheater
    Death Grips - 7/18 - The Mohawk
    Kraftwerk - 9/25 - Bass Concert Hall

The xx will not be in anything resembling "small" next time they tour. they played a 5,000 person venue in Los Angeles in September 2010. They were fantastic though!

EDIT: it helped tremendously having both Zola Jesus and Warpaint as support.
    last.fm
    5/15-17/15 - Psycho CA @ Observatory // 5/22/15 - Laura Jane Grace @ Hollywood Forever Cemetary // 5/27/15 - Neutral Milk Hotel @ Warner Grand Theater
    6/3/15 - Sufjan Stevens @ Dorothy Chandler // 7/15/15 - Shellac @ Regent // 7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The xx will not be in anything resembling "small" next time they tour.
    And this is exactly what sucks. Saw them at a half full Music Hall of Williamsburg (550 capacity) and it was the absolute perfect room for their show. WTF, 5,000 person venues is not their vibe...

Well, that's why I said warm-up show. Many bands that play the Palladium and similar venues in the full swing of their tour play smaller venues like the Fonda before their album comes out.
    5/15 - Muse - Mayan
    5/26 - Refused - Roxy

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Well then I really hope to catch them at the Fonda when they come around. Though, I could see them playing well at the Palladium. I had a lot of fun at Wilco there. If I got close I'm sure I would have a great time.

No. The Palladium would be a nightmare for how intimate their sound is. And people don't shut the fuck up at that venue. Ask anyone who saw Grizzly Bear there in '09.
    5/15 - Muse - Mayan
    5/26 - Refused - Roxy

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Nah, the xx were really good at the Palladium! I was shocked about how good, really.
    last.fm

Chris, Fuck you and fuck you hard. Let It Be is genius, and it seems like it should be right up your alley. It clicked with me the first time and I just fall in love with it more every time I listen.

Have you listened to the rest of their stuff? It's the perfect peak between their ramshackle early stuff and their more focused later material. Raw, emotional, extraordinarily well-written material.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    I dig the XX. But yeah, their Coachella set was boring. Like, so boring it made me not want to listen to their music for a long while. I skipped them at Sasquatch that year too.
    I felt this way about Yeah Yeah Yeahs first mainstage appearance, they were so off it definitely reduced my enthusiasm for them. Their 2nd appearance a few years back was much better. Im sure I may be a fan of sigurd ros if it hadn't have been for my first viewing of them at coachella. From how much I love The XXs album, seeing that performed in the day with off sound would definitely turn me off for a minute.

Another band I'm not crazy for is Radiohead. They are not my style, simply that. I enjoy Kid A Ok Computer and Amnesiac, but everything else is "ok" in my book as far as their catalog goes. I hope their set this year changes my mind on them a little bit more, but I doubt it. now I'm not saying they are a bad band, they are great, but I've never fallen into that "OMG radiohead!!!!" group like most of my friends. Then again I'm known as the "techno" guy of the group.

I'm sure if the lineup had better electronic acts I'd be going nuts for this lineup, but alas, it is an "indie rock" year

And the black keys are as impressive as the raconotuers (however it's spelt): I walked away from both sets after 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    2Pac
    fuckin' with the lights on

Flame away, but:

I Will Dare is such an amazing way to start a record, but upon listening to it front to back for the first time yesterday, at the end it left me feeling a bit flat. What am I missing here?
    Man this is my favorite album of all time.