Page 1 of 31 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: It's raining...... thelastgreatman

Default It's raining...... thelastgreatman

(from his biz partner) My best friend and business partner passed away this weekend. Since he always had the way with words I thought it would be proper to give him the last word. A post he made a few days ago...
    Honestly, this thing I'm working on right now is probably the single biggest "put up or shut up" project of my entire life, but I have been blessed with some incredible people helping me along the way.............. and so many others who have helped us along the way who I'm either forgetting or can't name for other reasons. This has been an incredible experience, it's made me rise to a level that I didn't even know was still in me.

But more importantly, it's consistently astounded me with how genuinely GOOD most people are at heart. Just humans trying to help other humans and make something worth making... they've sacrificed their time, invested their hearts, and we can't repay the favor nearly enough in any tangible thing like money. But they KEEP HELPING. They care about something we're trying to invent, and it's so reassuring that maybe the world will be okay after all.
    Let the snark begin.

RIP Randy.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Default Re: It's raining...... thelastgreatman

Too soon. R.I.P.

RIP.

I wish I had gotten to meet him.
    Last edited by RedHotSgtPeppers; 03-17-2015 at 07:55 PM.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

I'm shocked. I was hoping I finally had the balls to meet him this year. RIP bud
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

I am really, really sad about this. Randy was not always nice or funny or decent, but he was always definitely himself. I had some good times with the guy. I'll miss him.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Damn. RIP.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Really sorry to hear this. RIP. I didn't know him outside of this board but spent many nights chatting on tinychat and I always found his antics on here hilarious. No one was better at digging and finding out about people than him. My favorite moment from here was when he found the guy that wrote the hooker reviews and the subsequent meltdown that followed. I'm glad I was never on his bad side and the boards gonna feel really weird with him gone for good.
    Last edited by nathanfairchild; 03-18-2015 at 05:35 AM.

May 1 - Sleep
    May 8-10 - Austin Psych Fest
    May 15-17 - Psycho California
    June 6 - The Rolling Stones
    June 10 - Melvins
    June 20 - Blur
    June 24-28 - Glastonbury
    July 18 - Death Grips?
    July 26 - Faith No More
    September 25 - Kraftwerk

Life is way too short. I'm very sorry to those of you who knew and loved him.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

I didn't know the guy personally but it sure is a shame.

RIP

Mortality is too strange. He will be missed.

Resident DnB Encyclopedia Donaldj's Avatar

I met Randy at Coachella in 2008. We didn't always get along, but he was generally a good guy who meant well. He'll be missed. This is a terrible loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Semantic View Post
    If there was a Frank Lucas of DnB links, Donald would be him...

Donald is not only the Frank Lucas of the board, but also the resident Buddha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Luster View Post
    All in favor of an Underworld / High Contrast US co-tour say "AYE!"
    "Real Drum & Bass is not something that sounds like a 17 year old rock band who have just listened to Slipmatt on their first E & decided to make Drum & Bass" - Marcus Intalex

http://soundcloud.com/donaldj-1/jind...pect-8-16-2012

This is so sad. RIP.

Can someone finally punch Supre in the face now?

Damn, though. This sucks.
    RIP you fucking asshole
    DREAM BIGGER

I haven't gotten along with Randy for quite a while but my personal experiences with him were always entertaining and memorable. Aside from Ivy, he was the first board member I met in person (because he was dating Ivy at the time). It was at Coachella 2010 and we watched Gil Scott Heron and Pretty Lights. Had some conversations about boardies and even offered a few pointers on here that ultimately led me to posting here more often and making friends with many of you.

At Coachella 2013, I hung out with him, Robin, Tall Guy and a few others that first day and all I can remember from that day is him mocking Icey and pissing off Gunz in way only he could do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    And to be fair to fikus, violent strangulation is one of his better qualities.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Being dead is literally the only way anyone on the planet could give less of a shit about you. You look like Farrah Fawcett's melted corpse.

Holy shit that is awful, terrible news. RIP
    Kodaline @ Granada Theatre 4/30 | |The Soft Moon @ Club Dada 5/6 | Danny Tenaglia 5/16 @ It'll Do | Nicole Moudaber @ It'll Do 5/23 | The Rentals @ Club Dada 5/29 | Sasha @ Kingdom 6/13 | John Digweed @ It'll Do 6/20 | DJ Pierre @ It'll Do 7/11 | Hard Summer 2015 8/1 | Sonic Mania 8/14 | Summer Sonic Tokyo 8/15 & 8/16 |

Board Member Most Likely To Die This Year Winner: Devin the Dude.
    LOL! <33
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Great advertising strategy for her vagina though! As if having a vagina weren't all a vagina needed. Now introducing the Lustful Scorned Lover scent, by RSW.

How did he die?
    Kodaline @ Granada Theatre 4/30 | |The Soft Moon @ Club Dada 5/6 | Danny Tenaglia 5/16 @ It'll Do | Nicole Moudaber @ It'll Do 5/23 | The Rentals @ Club Dada 5/29 | Sasha @ Kingdom 6/13 | John Digweed @ It'll Do 6/20 | DJ Pierre @ It'll Do 7/11 | Hard Summer 2015 8/1 | Sonic Mania 8/14 | Summer Sonic Tokyo 8/15 & 8/16 |

Coachella Junkie

I remember hanging out with him a bit every year since 2009. My last Coachella was in 2011 - and the last thing I did that year was ride the ferris wheel with him and Ivy.

Regardless of whether or not you saw eye to eye with him, he was never afraid to be himself, and you couldn't help but admire him for it.

And the "Fans of Supre Accessory Shop" was quite possibly the greatest thing anyone has ever done.

What. The. Fuck. RIP lastgreatman. It was good knowing you, you crazy motherfucker. Death is never good timing, but this seems especially bad considering his project.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

Randy's greatest board contributions can be debated ad nauseam, but Matt at the Movies and the subsequent memes that followed will always be my favorite.

In our last messaging convo, we talked about this project and I told him how great I thought what he was working on was, and how cool it was that he had broken out and done something on his own. He seemed genuinely proud of himself, and not in an "I told you assholes I was great" way...more in a "thanks, it means so much to me and I've worked so hard on it" way.

Then he told me to stop eating and I told him to go get some Just for Men. That was how we did.

RIP, you asshole.
    Last edited by captncrzy; 03-18-2015 at 06:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyInHeaven View Post
    Devin - how does it feel to know that there are still more women in the world that would fuck me at this very moment than would fuck you?

He had a lot to say.
    He had a lot of nothing to say.
    We'll miss him.
    We're gonna miss him.

Yeah, so long.
    We wish you well.
    Told us how you weren't afraid to die.
    Well, so long.
    Don't cry, yeah,
    Or feel too down.
    Not all martyrs see divinity.
    But at least you tried.

Standing above the crowd,
    He had a voice that was strong and loud.
    We'll miss him.
    We'll miss him.
    Ranting and pointing his finger
    At everything but his heart.
    We'll miss him.
    We'll miss him.

We're gonna miss him.

Yeah, no way, yeah, to recall
    What it was that you had said to me,
    Like I care at all.

But it was so loud.
    You sure could yell.
    Took a stand on every little thing
    And so loud.

Yeah, standing above the crowd,
    He had a voice that was strong and loud and I
    Swallowed his facade 'cause I'm so
    Eager to identify with
    Someone above the ground,
    Someone who seemed to feel the same,
    Someone prepared to lead the way, and
    Someone who would die for me.

Will you? Will you now?
    Would you die for me?
    Don't you fucking lie.

Don't you step out of line.
    Don't you fucking lie.

You claimed all this time that you would die for me.
    Why then are you so surprised when you hear your own eulogy?

He had a lot to say.
    He had a lot of nothing to say.

Come down.
    Get off your fucking cross.
    We need the fucking space to nail the next fool martyr.

To ascend you must die.
    You must be crucified
    For our sins and our lies.
    Goodbye...

I haven't posted in years.

Rest in peace Randy...

I'm at a loss for words. You'd probably call me a pussy right now.

Thanks for the xanax in 2012 when I was so high off shrooms I was having a conversation with the desert mountains speaking in Jaba the hut's language. You talked me down and got me out of that paranoia and I was able to enjoy the black keys, which you hated.

Thanks for making 2008 an awesome first year for me.

Thanks for being a jerk to me just like you were to everyone else, it made me feel like I belonged.

You will be missed.

Goodbye to another Coachella family member.

-NiceArthur32

:\

What the fuck?! What.the.fuck.

I've always liked Randy, he was always kind & generous to me and we had some very good times shooting the shit and doing stuff we probably shouldn't have been doing. Damn.

I miss you, man.

I never got to meet him and there were times his posts annoyed the hell out of me. But, like Bryan said, he was always himself. I'll miss his posts and regret never meeting him. RIP, Randy.

I’m stunned to hear of this. Although Randy and I didn’t communicate much in recent years, there was a period of time around 2006 when we would spend probably what amounted to hours talking on a daily basis, often late into the night. I remember talking to him from the bed of my old Los Angeles apartment until I could hear the neighborhood roosters greet the coming dawn.

One of the things that always amazed me about Randy was how much he liked to push up against the extremes of the situation. This was sometimes endearing, sometimes infuriating. No matter what he was doing, he was always all in. And once he had made up his mind about something, the single-minded passion with which he would go after his goal – whether it was to get you to eat dinner with him at The Stinking Rose, to convince you of the genius of Paul Simon, or to troll an unworthy adversary -- was unstoppable. He was the ultimate champion of a cause.

Once Randy let you in, he wore his heart on his sleeve. The candor with which he would share his fears and his dreams was expansive and intense. I think I probably spoke to Randy during our early period of communication about things that I haven’t told any of my therapists in all my years on the couch. The vulnerability with which he opened his family history and personal history to his friends made you feel safe to be yourself, even the ugly parts, because you knew Randy wouldn't judge you negatively for it.

Although Randy hasn’t been an active part of my life in a long time, and we had our rocky moments (as I’m sure many of you have), I’m grateful that I had the opportunity to get to know him.

RIP Randy.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Either everything is funny or nothing is funny. It is an immutable truth.

This truly sucks. Randy was an asshole, but he was generally nice to me and a good friend. Incredibly intelligent and always fun to talk shit with.

Fuck. If it wasn't for his entertaining posts i may have never posted or spent so much time on this board. I will always remember Coachella 2008 and the crazy spotlights.

RIP Randy

i am going to miss this man. He made me laugh so much. i remember early on in getting to know him through the board, he would proudly state he was an asshole. i told him i knew bigger assholes and he really wasn't one. He really grew into being a really sweet guy from the turd who invaded this board like a tornado trying to show us all how fucking smart he was. He was wicked smart. He loved this place. He was part of the virtual family we evolved here. The brother who would tease the shit out of everyone and fuck over anyone who would try to cross any of us the wrong way. That man had a strong sense of justice i think more than a few of us really admired. i'm old enough now where more than a few have passed too soon. i am pissed and baffled. Sad i didn't see them for so long since the last time. i always liked the times we got to see each other in real life. One of my favorite times was just a nice simple lunch when we accidentally ran into each other at Bay Cities. Just eating sandwiches and talking shit.

i hope the other people in this picture don't mind. This was the first time a few if us met him in real life at Coachella 2008. It was awkward because of his antagonistic nature on the board at the time, but nice because he was kind of shy about meeting us in person. This is my first board group shot and i thought it was very appropriate for him to be in it because he was such a presence here. Sadly it was the last one he was in. i was always a bit bummed he avoided the bigger family shots years later. i'm going to leave it at this point for now because i don't feel like writing anymore.

I was with him on Wednesday. He was in great spirits. Feisty as fucking ever, the only way Randy could be, but really excited about his company and working with Goldenvoice.

Rage in Peace bud.
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

RIP Randy.
    We had our fun times together when we were basically living with each other for a few months. You will be missed, greatly.
    I'm glad I got that hug from you when I last saw you a week ago.