Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Here comes the market tank (again)

Default Here comes the market tank (again)

Wk 1 tickets have held relatively steady in the $500-550 range (not incl fees) on Stubhub since the lineup was announced. The last half of February they've dipped below $500 a few times, but have usually bounced back up over that mark pretty quickly. It was usually only a few listings that got below the $500 mark before they sold.

The last few days they've started to drop more quickly into $475 territory, and this morning the low got to $450. There are now a few dozen tickets under $500, and the market is definitely shifting significantly downward. That should accelerate in the next 2 weeks when people start actually receiving their tickets and putting them up for sale.

Last year followed a similar pattern, and I would expect the Wk 1 prices to continue to drop into the break-even range for sellers ($425-450 depending on what they bought at) by mid-March. Wk 2 have already hit that mark, and are likely headed sub-$400 pretty soon. As always, don't even consider buying until late March. Craigslist listings are increasing daily, and it'll be flooded in a couple weeks. GNR and LCD are not going to drive demand, and getting Wk 1 at face and Wk 2 under face should not be difficult within a week of the festival. The reality now is that a LOT of people are buying pre-sale and then trying to unload in March and early April, so outside of 2014 it's consistently been a buyer's market close to the festival in the 2-weekend era.

Tip on using Stubhub as well: the lowest priced tickets or shuttle passes are not always listed at the top of the scroll, even if you sort for price. People sometimes mislabel the section/row as something other than GA, and those get stuck down at the bottom of the list, even if they're the cheapest option. Right now, sorting for price for shuttle passes Wk 1 gives you $43 as the cheapest. Scroll down to the bottom and you can find them listed for $33.50. Same trick works with actual tickets.

Default Re: Here comes the market tank (again)

Man, that 2014 experience was so brutal, though. I had a friend who was willing to pay ungodly amount of money for a ticket and couldn't find a seller, waited too long. It was enough to favor the relative security of a presale ticket over saving a bit of money.

But the way W2 has trended, I might reconsider next year. Or that might get me to finally do both weekends one year.

Have you taken a look at VIP? That market actually seems to have gotten stronger in the last week or two, but I'm no market analyst. Still plenty of inventory so you'd think it would do the same thing but doesn't seem to be the case as of yet.

You will see tix under cost this year days before. Was the case last year and with this years weak lineup there's no doubt

Yeah, wtf was up with 2014? I met someone that sold his wristband for $600 just for Sunday.
    6/26 Sunflower Bean @ Constellation Room, 7/3 Telecaves @ Non Plus Ultra, 7/7 Mitski @ The Echo, 7/22 Weird Al @ Hollywood Bowl, 7/28 Tokimonsta @ Hammer Museum, 8/3 Marissa Nadler @ The Echo, 8/4 Radiohead @ Shrine Auditorium, 8/7 Sufjan Stevens @ Hollywood Bowl, 8/27-28 FYF Fest, 9/24 Music Tastes Good, 9/25 Lush @ Fonda

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Yeah, wtf was up with 2014? I met someone that sold his wristband for $600 just for Sunday.
    I'm guessing with the weak 2013 headliners, a bunch of people bought tickets at the last minute for cheap, and then figured they'd be able to do the same thing in 2014, but the supply wasn't there anymore.
    9/22 Beyoncé ~ 9/23 Classixx ~ 9/25 James Blake ~ 9/26 Lissie ~ 9/28 Band of Skulls ~ 10/7 ACL W2 ~ 10/18 Hiss Golden Messenger ~ 11/2 Black Rebel Motorcycle Club & DFA 1979 w/ Deap Vally ~ 11/4 Adele ~ 11/4-11/6 Sound on Sound Fest ~ 11/6 Sia w/ Miguel & Alunageorge ~ 11/8 Bonnie Raitt ~ 11/11 Wet ~ 12/1 Skinny Lister ~ 4/14 Coachella W1

A friend of a friend came down with my group in 2014 without a wristband, hoping to buy one near the festival. He was literally offering thousands of dollars for one. Couldn't get it. Wound up partying in Palm Springs on his own the entire time.

Quote Originally Posted by purplecow View Post
    I'm guessing with the weak 2013 headliners, a bunch of people bought tickets at the last minute for cheap, and then figured they'd be able to do the same thing in 2014, but the supply wasn't there anymore.
    I think it was a combination of this and the very poppy lineup.

Hope you're right on the prices for this year. My daughter is wanting me to take her for her 16th B'day and I'm swithering about when to pull the trigger.
    Sounds like it would be worth waiting a few weeks

Yeah hoping to get some weekend two at well below face this year. LCD and GNR don't appeal to the people that attend this fest and Calvin has a residency in Vegas and plays every electronic fest possible. Weekend one is a different beast however due to lithe scenesters. Weekend one has more people there to find celebs and take selfies.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    My theory on the crazy 2014 prices: The 2014 presale was terrible for GV. They kept it open for 36 hours without selling out. So a higher proportion of tickets than normal ("normal" being 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016) were sold in January than in presale. January buyers have seen the lineup, they know they're going, and they generally don't sell their tickets. Presale buyers on the other hand, bought blind and sell in relatively high numbers.

So take the relatively lower number of sellers to start, and then add the Outkast hype to that and you've got $1000 wristbands.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

The Thursday prior to weekend 1 they were no less than 3K on stubhub. Half of our group wanted to sell them and go to Hawaii for the 6 days instead.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgykeeps View Post
    Hope you're right on the prices for this year. My daughter is wanting me to take her for her 16th B'day and I'm swithering about when to pull the trigger.
    Sounds like it would be worth waiting a few weeks
    Trust me...you'll have plenty of opportunity to get tickets at cost and some will be able to score below.

Its pretty simple as to why 2014 was in such high demand... look at the lineup! You had HUGH names in every genre of music. We will never see a lineup as packed as 2014's- It will just never happen anymore with all the festivals popping up.

Even weekend 2 in 2014 was pretty brutal. Was having trouble finding a seller for anything less than $700 the week of (damn ex gf had my ticket under her name) and when I did I was always a step too late. Clicking around the ticket page out of desperation and realized the Outstanding in the Field tickets weren't sold out. Got a secure ticket and a damn good meal for $600. Obviously not worth it with the resale prices in other years but was perfect then. Best part was walking in drunk, disheveled, and a party of one and plopping down next to some high brow older folk who were wondering what the hell I was doing there. They ended up being super cool and came to party with me at Empire of the Sun. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by BallsTripped View Post
    Tip on using Stubhub as well: the lowest priced tickets or shuttle passes are not always listed at the top of the scroll, even if you sort for price. People sometimes mislabel the section/row as something other than GA, and those get stuck down at the bottom of the list, even if they're the cheapest option. Right now, sorting for price for shuttle passes Wk 1 gives you $43 as the cheapest. Scroll down to the bottom and you can find them listed for $33.50. Same trick works with actual tickets.
    Great tip just found under face wristband for W2! Thanks!
    Coachellabound 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Fuck I'm Old Now.

aka 'the WKD 2 how low can you go?' thread. I want to get in for two hundred and seventy-five tops.

If you're planning to wait for prices to go down-keep in mind that they will go up a little once passes start being delivered, but will then start going back down again closer to the actual festival date

Do you think there will be plenty of availability with car camping nearer the time? Wanting 2 tix for weekend 1 with CC and trying to decide how long to wait

Car camping is much harder to find, and the prices don't seem to go down. I'm sure there's info on here somewhere about the car camping prices from last year.
    7/27 Flight of the Conchords - 7/28 TOKiMONSTA - 7/30 HARD Summer - 8/9 Alabama Shakes - 8/11 RÜFÜS DU SOL - 8/13 Ra Ra Riot - 8/14 Rodrigo y Gabriela - 8/19 Guns n' Fucking Roses
    8/22 Guns n' Fucking Roses - 9/1 Unknown Mortal Orchestra - 9/8 Ohio Players - 9/11 ELO - Jake Bugg 9/13 - 9/18 Kraftwerk - 10/4 Chvrches - 10/6 Gojira - 10/7 Grouplove - 10/8 Sia

Lurker

I'd say prices spike 1-2 weeks before - their low will be day before since most people going already have plans at that point.

Yeah, camping passes are harder to come by

I must have gotten really lucky last year - got 2 tix & camping for wk 1 for $550 a few days before. Don't want to leave it that late this year though

Quote Originally Posted by dodgykeeps View Post
    I must have gotten really lucky last year - got 2 tix & camping for wk 1 for $550 a few days before. Don't want to leave it that late this year though
    That's rad! I hope the same happens to me this year !
    Originally Posted by captncrzy
    Fuck off with your horseshit website.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Chillectro View Post
    I'd say prices spike 1-2 weeks before - their low will be day before since most people going already have plans at that point.
    GNR have a LA club date rumoured for the Whiskey. If reviews are strong it could be a factor.

Right now there isn't much difference between the GNR Vegas nosebleeds are the low W2 price that will come this week.

Quote Originally Posted by levi760 View Post
    If you're planning to wait for prices to go down-keep in mind that they will go up a little once passes start being delivered, but will then start going back down again closer to the actual festival date
    This definitely seems to be the case at the moment, especially with car camping. Prices are crazy on Ebay/Craigslist just now and not many seem to be selling on here or Reddit. Trying to keep my nerve and not pay a crazy amount

quivvering by the minute

-asian girl from "what are you wearing?!" thread

Quote Originally Posted by levi760 View Post
    Over the last few years that has not been the case. When passes start getting delivered is when the price drop starts to accelerate because people have them in hand. Lots of people don't realize you can sell on Stubhub before the passes are in your possession so the delivery is their cue to actually list them.

You can see the panic starting to set in on Stubhub. The price has been dropping daily and the volume of tickets available at the lowest prices is increasing.

It'll be easy to find face value tix this year the week of the festival for W1, and W2 should get down $50-100 below face.

^agreed
    9/22 Beyoncé ~ 9/23 Classixx ~ 9/25 James Blake ~ 9/26 Lissie ~ 9/28 Band of Skulls ~ 10/7 ACL W2 ~ 10/18 Hiss Golden Messenger ~ 11/2 Black Rebel Motorcycle Club & DFA 1979 w/ Deap Vally ~ 11/4 Adele ~ 11/4-11/6 Sound on Sound Fest ~ 11/6 Sia w/ Miguel & Alunageorge ~ 11/8 Bonnie Raitt ~ 11/11 Wet ~ 12/1 Skinny Lister ~ 4/14 Coachella W1

What time does the annual lodging and transportation market tank start?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    What time does the annual lodging and transportation market tank start?
    It's called having friends. You wouldn't be familiar with it.